PDA

View Full Version : Schefter reporting Broncos almost traded for Quinn

Denver724
11-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Reported Broncos were going to give them a first day pick. Browns pulled the plug. Interesting.

On ESPN this morning with Mort.

From Schefter's Blog

Quinn's quest for snaps

Teams are no different than stockbrokers. They try to buy low and sell high.
Cleveland had a chance to do it last offseason, when it debated dealing quarterback Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10466) to the Denver Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den) for a first-day draft choice, according to multiple NFL sources. Ultimately, the Browns balked, partly because they were unwilling to give up Quinn and partly because they didn't want to have to use another high draft pick on a quarterback.
Thus, no deal.
Now, as Quinn prepares for Monday night's start at Baltimore, he will try to restore his reputation and his rebuild his value, which has dropped dramatically since he was benched during his third NFL start this season. Fortunately for the Browns, Quinn still has half a season to prove he can be a better quarterback than he was. But it could be difficult for Cleveland to recoup the offer it had on the table for Quinn last offseason from Denver.
Cleveland coach Eric Mangini told CBSsportsline.com last week that he was unaware of the specific incentives in quarterback Brady Quinn's contract. But the specifics cast questions on what the Browns knew. Quinn has $5 million worth of incentives for this season and another $5.95 million for next season based on him playing in 70 percent of the Browns plays this year.
During Cleveland's first three games, Quinn played 137 plays. Then, just before Cleveland's bye, when he got in the game at the end, Quinn played three more. All together, he now has played 140 of the team's 463 offensive plays this season.
On average, a team runs 60 offensive plays per game, sometimes a few more, sometimes a few less. Using that reliable number, Cleveland would run 960 offensive plays this season. Seventy-percent of 960 is 672 snaps.
But if Quinn were to take every snap in the Browns final eight games, that would give him 480 snaps for the rest of the season to go along with his previous 140 -- 620 all together, and 52 short of the snaps he would need to hit 70 percent playtime and $10.95 million worth of incentives. The 52 snaps short is the equivalent of one start. So had Quinn started one more game, he would have been in play to earn an additional $5 million in incentives for this season and another $5.95 million for next season. Now, Quinn still could play 70 percent next season and earn $5.95 million in incentives then. But he lost the $5 million in incentives he could have earned this season and also lost the chance to clinch the $5.95 million for next season as well.
Mangini might not have known about these clauses and these numbers. But as one NFL executive pointed out, Mangini stuck with Derek Anderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8627) longer than he did Quinn, and Anderson was just as bad if not worse than Quinn.

outdoor_miner
11-15-2009, 09:34 AM
FYI - According to Schefter's twitter, it was during the offseason... Just so no one thinks we were shopping for Quinn recently.

tsiguy96
11-15-2009, 09:41 AM
it was reported around that time too, that we offered a first for him and tehy said no.

Beantown Bronco
11-15-2009, 09:43 AM
This thread should get to 10 pages before kickoff.

JCMElway
11-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Quinn vs. Orton.....Hmmmmmm.....

Better yet, Quinn Vs. Moreno and Ayers.

elsid13
11-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Well maybe next off season it will only cost us a 3rd.

Beantown Bronco
11-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Can Quinn punt?

Br0nc0Buster
11-15-2009, 09:52 AM
That saddens me if true

Quinn is horrible, I have no idea what anyone would see in him to give up a high draft pick

If true then thank goodness the Browns turned that offer down

Bronx33
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
can quinn punt?

rofl!

elsid13
11-15-2009, 09:55 AM
That saddens me if true

Quinn is horrible, I have no idea what anyone would see in him to give up a high draft pick

To be fair, it hard to say how good/bad Quinn is, while operating in that franchise environment.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-15-2009, 09:55 AM
This tells me that McD preferred the deal the Browns put on the table for Cutler and then pulled, over the deal they took from Chicago.

tsiguy96
11-15-2009, 09:56 AM
That saddens me if true

quinn is playing on the browns, he thrived under charlie weiss, he may do equally well here with much better system, coaching and surrounding cast. mangini may be the worst HC in the NFL.

elsid13
11-15-2009, 09:57 AM
This tells me that McD preferred the deal the Browns put on the table for Cutler and then pulled, over the deal they took from Chicago.

Wasn't the Cleveland deal dependent on a third team involvement?

Beantown Bronco
11-15-2009, 09:58 AM

The way I'm reading it is they're talking about this deal as occurring "post Cutler trade".

Hamrob
What we need is a QB who is smart and can manage a game....but who also can push it down field when needed.

Kyle Orton won't lose the games we're supposed to win. I give him credit for that. But, he can't help us win the games that we need out QB to make a defense pay for crowding the line. That is a must have in an NFL QB.

Can Quinn do that. I don't think so. I think he's just a more flashy Orton.

Beantown Bronco

I always viewed that as purely OMane myth.

elsid13
11-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I always viewed that as purely OMane myth.

It was more then that, because the local DC TV/Radio was also reporting that Washington was involved in discussion with Cleveland and Denver about Cutler.

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I'd rather just develop Brandstater than trade a 7th for Quinn now.

tsiguy96
pretty positive cleveland was never a contender for cutler. this was the day before teh draft that this was first reported.

Hercules Rockefeller

No, someone at Fanhouse wrote an article saying he'd heard that, but that would be like someone at this site saying it was a 3-team deal. No credible site said there'd be a 3rd team. Cleveland was always brought in anyway to facilitate the trade of Cutler to that 3rd team (usually the Skins).

Hercules Rockefeller
11-15-2009, 10:02 AM
The way I'm reading it is they're talking about this deal as occurring "post Cutler trade".

Which would just be more proof that the QB that McDaniels really wanted was Quinn and not Orton if he's still trying to get Quinn after they picked up Orton.

elsid13
11-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Which would just be more proof that the QB that McDaniels really wanted was Quinn and not Orton if he's still trying to get Quinn after they picked up Orton.

Wonder what that tells us.

Beantown Bronco
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
It was more then that, because the local DC TV/Radio was also reporting that Washington was involved in discussion with Cleveland and Denver about Cutler.

Giving credence to "radio reports" is sketchy at best. Having said that, all I kept hearing was Campbell and a pick or two for Cutler. I never heard or saw anything credible about a three team deal involving them. Isn't that why it was widely noted here that McDaniels obviously preferred Orton to Campbell, despite the better pick he would've gotten from Washington?

Hercules Rockefeller
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
pretty positive cleveland was never a contender for cutler. this was the day before teh draft that this was first reported.

Yes, they were. They were one of the finalists because McDaniels wanted a QB, and the 2 that he liked were Orton and Quinn. That's why Tampa, Washington, and the Jets were never really contenders, they didn't have a QB that Denver liked. Mangini pulled the plug because he was afraid Cutler wouldn't report or still be a bitch because Mangini obviously comes from the same coaching tree as McDaniels, and JC would have been treated the same in Cleveland as he was in Denver.

Beantown Bronco
11-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Exactly. That's why I predicted above that this should get to 10 pages inside of an hour.

Br0nc0Buster
11-15-2009, 10:06 AM
quinn is playing on the browns, he thrived under charlie weiss, he may do equally well here with much better system, coaching and surrounding cast. mangini may be the worst HC in the NFL.

people crap on Orton for checking it down and dinking and dunking

That is literally all Quinn does

The guy can barely beat out Derek Anderson, and it is a competition where the coaches badly want Quinn to win

Kyle is just as good IMO

Br0nc0Buster
11-15-2009, 10:08 AM
To be fair, it hard to say how good/bad Quinn is, while operating in that franchise environment.

I would prefer not to spend a first to find out

Ill take Kyle and keep the first

tsiguy96
11-15-2009, 10:10 AM
people crap on Orton for checking it down and dinking and dunking

That is literally all Quinn does

The guy can barely beat out Derek Anderson, and it is a competition where the coaches badly want Quinn to win

Kyle is just as good IMO

he didnt beat out derek anderson because they benched him JUST long enough so taht he cant make his 10 million dollar performance bonus basd on snaps played. theres a reason that now that he can no longer hit that bonus, hes starting again this week.

snowspot66
11-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Wonder what that tells us.

That McDaniels had no clue at the time if he would like Orton or not. It's as simple as that. No games had been played.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2009, 10:36 AM
That saddens me if true

I don't think Quinn is all that bad. It's not like he's had much of a chance. He's only had 5 starts or so. The Browns are just a mess. Bunch of crybaby players resisting everything the new coach tries to do. Players clowning around in practice after getting their ass kicked, Jamall Lewis complaining about 2 1/2 hour practices. Cut loose the GM mid season.

I don't know how they'll turn out, and frankly I don't care that much, but Quinn is most definitely not the worst young QB I've ever seen.

tsiguy96
11-15-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't think Quinn is all that bad. It's not like he's had much of a chance. He's only had 5 starts or so. The Browns are just a mess. Bunch of crybaby players resisting everything the new coach tries to do. Players clowning around in practice after getting their ass kicked, Jamall Lewis complaining about 2 1/2 hour practices. Cut loose the GM mid season.

I don't know how they'll turn out, and frankly I don't care that much, but Quinn is most definitely not the worst young QB I've ever seen.

its definitely not on the players. look for a theme, if every player hates the way the new head coach is running things, and if most players from the jets love rex and waht he brings, it would stand to reason that mangini is an awful person and head coach. there is a reason people are talking about midseason firing of him and all the BS he pulls.

lewis never complains about anyhting, hes complaining because mangini destroys them in practice then wonders why they arent performing in games.

HEAV
11-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm glad Cleveland pulled the trade.

Bronx33
11-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm glad Cleveland pulled the trade.

Ditto..

BroncoInferno
11-15-2009, 10:43 AM
It's really hard to know how good Quinn is playing behind that mess in Cleveland. He only has like 8 career starts, hardly enough to conclude he can't play, particularly given he has practically no talent around him. That said, I don't think Quinn would be any better than Orton, so I'm glad that trade didn't happen.

Meck77
11-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Put your Orton jerseys on boys. The game is about to start.

Cito Pelon
11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
its definitely not on the players. look for a theme, if every player hates the way the new head coach is running things, and if most players from the jets love rex and waht he brings, it would stand to reason that mangini is an awful person and head coach. there is a reason people are talking about midseason firing of him and all the BS he pulls.

lewis never complains about anyhting, hes complaining because mangini destroys them in practice then wonders why they arent performing in games.

Maybe Cleveland need tougher players to go along with a tough coach. NYJ's aren't exactly kicking ass.

tsiguy96
11-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Maybe Cleveland need tougher players to go along with a tough coach. NYJ's aren't exactly kicking ass.

cleveland has decent players especially on offense, solid O and decent young WR. there is a ton of coaching issues there that need to be worked out before you can start assembling talent to match those coaches needs.

colonelbeef
11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Not surprising, Quinn spent his college career with Charlie Weis, and McDaniels loves anything with a patriots pedigree

Dagmar
11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Not surprising, Quinn spent his college career with Charlie Weis, and McDaniels loves anything with a patriots pedigree

http://memegenerator.net/Instances/211/Retard-Girl-I-can-count-to-potato30.jpg

BroncoMan4ever
11-15-2009, 11:56 AM
FYI - According to Schefter's twitter, it was during the offseason... Just so no one thinks we were shopping for Quinn recently.

didn't everyone know that already?

i seem to recall talk about that, i could be wrong though

Killericon
11-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Well, I'd rather have Brady than Richard.

Killericon
11-15-2009, 02:02 PM
...Quinn would've been better than Simms.

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
...quinn would've been better than simms.

+1

colonelbeef
11-15-2009, 02:47 PM
@ Rusty Shackleford:

The truth hurts sometimes. You and McDaniels both have Pats fever

http://www.dvdfever.co.uk/reviews/fluffer.jpg

oubronco
11-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Is anyone else glad they didn't trade for Quinn he sucks pretty bad and cannot throw a deep pass at all

gtown
11-17-2009, 08:19 AM
It's hard to grade Quinn. He has a pretty good arm and has a good pocket presence. But the Browns oline, outside of Joe Thomas, cannot give this guy a good pocket. He is running for his life on each play and when he does throw the Browns receivers are perfectly positioned to drop the ball.

Lolad
11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Put your Orton jerseys on boys. The game is about to start.

I really haven't paid attention that much... But is the stadium filled with fans wearing
ortons jersey??

jhns
11-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Orton, Simms, Quinn, or Branstater being the QB here all mean the same thing. We need to invest in a QB. Hopefully the Bears give us good ammo to get one.

Rausch 2.0
11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
It's almost like Schefter enjoys exposing/talking $#it on the Broncos...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
I still think Quinn has a lot of tools at his disposal, and in a proper environment he will be a solid QB in this league.

I bet a second or third-tier team makes a play for him this off season, and he spends the next decade in that town making a lot of doubters look stupid.

Florida_Bronco
11-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I would have been ecstatic if we landed Quinn.