PDA

View Full Version : Why did Orton only throw 13ints with the Bears last season, and Cutler has 17 already

bronco0608
11-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I mean, how is that even possible. We all know that Orton sucks balls, yet he had 18tds and 13ints with a greener supporting cast than Cutler has with the Bears this year.

Let go down the tale of tape shall we:

* Same offensive coordinator Ron Turner

* Same head coach Lovie Smith

* If you thought Devin Hester was a bad route runner this year, try looking at the tape from last season when he was moved to WR full time!

* The Bears offensive line is actually better this year. Orlando Pace and 1st round draft pick Chris Williams are starting. Last year, their starting tackles were, umm, can you even name who was starting for the Bears at tackle last season?

* Same running back

* Same tight ends

* The Bears have better WR's this year if that is even possible. Reshe Davis was starting last year. Ouch!

So Cutler Widows, come one, come all, defend his honor!

Bronx33
11-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Cutler tries to do too much combined with not properly reading the defense re: tunnel vision ( his fatal flaw)

Broncotilldeath
11-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Bad throws that he shouldn't make but none of those picks are his fault, just ask him.

BlaK-Argentina
11-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Orton doesn't "suck balls". He's a good QB, but just that.

Broncobiv
11-14-2009, 02:18 PM
The Bears last year just let Orton manage the game. Forte was the main man. Lots of running plays combined with lots of dump-offs.

This year, they're putting the ball in Cutler's hands and for some reason, they're ignoring the run game to an extent. Jay is making stupid decisions, and because they're passing a lot more than they did with Orton, the INT's are way up.

Through Forte's first 9 games last year as a rookie:
189 carries

Through Forte's first 9 games this year:
143 carries

As far as passing the ball goes:

Through Orton's first 9 games last year:
270 pass attempts

Through Cutler's first 9 games this year:
338 pass attempts

I am not convinced that the O line has improved. They don't seem to be protecting Cutler or opening up running lanes for Forte. Finally, and perhaps the most important point, their DEFENSE is playing like crap. Urlacher went out early and they're not playing as well as they did last year.

All that said, Jay is still making ridiculously stupid decisions with the ball, and those are 100% his fault.

Popps
11-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I'll proffer a guess...

- Jay has poor mechanics
- Jay lacks discipline
- Jay doesn't have winning intangbles
- Jay isn't coachable
- Jay doesn't really put in the work to be a top-flight QB

Gosh, I wonder why our new coach considered trading him?

Remember when that was the big offseason scandal. Don't hear so much about that now.

Br0nc0Buster
11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Because Jay Cutler thinks he can fit the ball anywhere, even if there are 3 defenders covering his reciever

Kyle actually attempts to take care of the football

Kyle knows his limitations, Jay "my arm is stronger than Elway's" Cutler believes in his own mind he has no limitations

Rigs11
11-14-2009, 03:17 PM
easy. Cutler isa franchise QB and Orton isn't.:~ohyah!:

Gort
11-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I'll proffer a guess...

- Jay has poor mechanics
- Jay lacks discipline
- Jay doesn't have winning intangbles
- Jay isn't coachable
- Jay doesn't really put in the work to be a top-flight QB

Gosh, I wonder why our new coach considered trading him?

Remember when that was the big offseason scandal. Don't hear so much about that now.

stop being a gutless drunk.

everybody knows that 17 of something is better than 13 of something. so 17 INTs is better than 13 INTs, so naturally Cutler > Orton. really, math isn't that hard. i learned all about math counting Taco shells out of the box.

;)

snowspot66
11-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Actually I think it just shows that Orton isn't as bad as some people think.

Everybody blames the lack of a run game on Orton's inability to throw down field.

I say he can throw down field and the lack of a run game and deep ball is the poor blocking.

The Bears had a pretty decent run game last year with Orton at the helm. It's gone to **** this year. Ours has been inconsistent the past two or three years. The difference? Blocking. The Bears line has gotten even worse (Pace is washed up, arguably a downgrade, and Williams isn't exactly picking up the slack for everybody else) and the change of scheme on our end has put a big spot light on our small interior line. Teams don't need to bring the safeties up to stop the run. They can leave them deep and trust the front seven to stop the run. On the pass rush they can crash the middle and Orton has nowhere to go. He can't step up and he can't step out without hitting the DE.

We get the middle of our line solidified and we'll have a much more consistent run game and our passing game will have an easier time getting going.

Orton doesn't suck balls. He's easily in the top half of the league for QB's and that's more than good enough to be a very dangerous team and even win a Super Bowl with a strong defense and run game.

Bronx33
11-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I wonder who goes first cutler or lovie?

barryr
11-14-2009, 05:08 PM
If the Bears miss the playoffs, Smith is in trouble. Cutler will get more of a chance since it is his first year with the team and they made such a big deal out of trading for him, so he can continue to throw the ball up for grabs and still get the benefit of the doubt.

broncofan7
11-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Passing attempts. END THREAD

DenverBrit
11-14-2009, 05:38 PM

End of thread? You think you nailed it? Hilarious!

Sure, there couldn't be any other reason, it has to be pass attempts.

Williams
11-14-2009, 05:38 PM

:giggle: Fail!

Orton in 2008: 465 Attempts, 12 INTs

Cutler in 2009: 338 Attempts, 17 INTs

Why did Orton only throw 13ints with the Bears last season, and Cutler has 17 already

I'll take the simple approach and say Orton is simply the better Quarterback.

Okay... now, END THREAD

Dagmar
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM

http://i27.tinypic.com/mualjl.jpg

underrated29
11-14-2009, 06:33 PM
The Answer is....

Who Freaking Cares.

:thumbs:

HAT
11-14-2009, 06:51 PM

Holy crap are you stupid.

Dedhed
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Lovie is done after this year. Cutler just signed an extension.

rastaman
11-14-2009, 07:11 PM

I'd say Smith b/c he's been there longer and Lovee will more than likely guide the Bears out of the Playoffs for the 4th consecutive year as their HC. The Bears will make a strong push for Shannahan in 2010.

Bronx33
11-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I should have put a funny little sarcasm in my post but yes lovie is f**** unless they cut him some slack but if tradition rings true somebody will bite the dust to keep fans happy..

baja
11-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Check his shinny new contract, Cutler is not going anywhere.

baja
11-14-2009, 08:24 PM
The guy that will take the heat for Cutler should he fail is the guy that gave him the contract extension before he proved anything.

frerottenextelway
11-14-2009, 08:29 PM
This season has really proved who is obsessed with Cutler and who is not. I wanted him to stay, but I think I've mentioned him a total of 5 times since opening day - all in game threads discussing live play iirc. Others are treating him like he's their ex-girlfriend, and mad that they have to live life with the STD they got and need to cry about it every couple of minutes. He's a Bear, what he does or doesn't do matters about as much as what socks you're going to wear tomorrow.

baja
11-14-2009, 08:34 PM
This season has really proved who is obsessed with Cutler and who is not. I wanted him to stay, but I think I've mentioned him a total of 5 times since opening day - all in game threads discussing live play iirc. Others are treating him like he's their ex-girlfriend, and mad that they have to live life with the STD they got and need to cry about it every couple of minutes. He's a Bear, what he does or doesn't do matters about as much as what socks you're going to wear tomorrow.

I Think it is more a case of the deal than Cutler himself.

Broncos4tw
11-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I think it's clearly because Cutler loves when all of you talk about him endlessly, and he realizes that throwing lots of picks will cause this to happen.

Gort
11-14-2009, 09:35 PM
you can't stop cutler threads. you can only hope to contain them.

cutler threads would break off 2K in our system.

HEAV
11-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Cutler hates field goals...it's just that simple.

crazyhorse
11-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Cutler throws more balls down field.

When Orton was there he did the same thing, as he does in Denver. He's throwing high percentage short stuff.

Since Chicago gave up so much for Citler, they are trying be be more dynamic. They are finding out what I always knew. Cutler has good plays, but not good games. He's not an elite QB as you all always said he was. He thinks he's B.Favre. He's not.

Chicago got punked in that trade.