PDA

View Full Version : Should we sign Chad Pennington next year?

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Rather than resigning Orton to some Cassel-like contract do you think we should go after Pennington instead? Pennington is a free agent after this season and would come much cheaper coming off of shoulder surgery than Orton would. He probably would only sign a contract for a couple years until we find our next QB.

Personally, I would love to have Pennington and think he would fit in perfectly with this offense.

Broncosfreak_56
11-14-2009, 01:10 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/14/rvf605.gif

PRBronco
11-14-2009, 01:16 AM
In before arm strength comment!

As to thread itsself. I dunno, seems like it'd just put us back at square 1, with a vet taking a year to learn the system, and he doesn't have much left in the tank.

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 01:22 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/14/rvf605.gif

Well he is the most accurate QB in NFL history so he has that going for him. I would much rather have Pennington than Kyle Orton. He still should have 2 or 3 years left in him.

SouthStndJunkie
11-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Chad Pennington's shoulder x-ray looks like shredded chicken.

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Chad Pennington's shoulder x-ray looks like shredded chicken.

Actually it wasn't that bad. I know shoulder injuries to QB's are scary, but I bet you the Saints are happy they gambled on Brees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4530774&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines
Sources: Pennington gets good news

Even though Chad Pennington's season is over for the Miami Dolphins, surgery revealed that his shoulder repair Friday was encouraging enough that he could resume his career in 2010 if he has the desire, according to sources.

Pennington's surgery required only an arthroscopic procedure by Dr. James Andrews on Friday, repairing a torn labrum and minimal damage to the joint capsule as the result of a dislocated right shoulder, sources said.

Dr. Andrews did not discover further damage to the rotator cuff which has twice undergone major repair in the past six years. A third repair of the rotator cuff would have jeopardized Pennington's career.

Pennington could resume light throwing within eight to 12 weeks, a source said. If he does decide to resume his career in 2010, his future with the Dolphins is uncertain because his contract expires after this season.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.

watermock
11-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Word Origin & History

insane

1560, from L. insanus "mad, insane, outrageous, excessive, extravagant," from in- "not" + sanus (see sane). Originally only of persons; of actions, from 1842. Cf. lunatic; and It. pazzo "insane," originally a euphemism, from L. patiens "suffering." Ger. verrückt, lit. pp. of verrücken "to displace," "applied to the brain as to a clock that is 'out of order' " [Buck]..

OK, he's not insane. The idea was.

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 01:59 AM

OK, he's not insane. The idea was.

So would you rather stick with Orton for the next 5 years?

watermock
11-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Neither.

We HAD 2 picks in next years draft.

Pennington will be a free agent soon.

Buy a clue.

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Neither.

We HAD 2 picks in next years draft.

Pennington will be a free agent soon.

Buy a clue.

Well we don't have 2 first round picks now and McDaniels doesn't seem like the type who will take a QB that early in the draft.... And last time I checked both Orton and Pennington are going to be free agents next year. Plus Pennington > Orton.

I think it is pretty logical.

watermock
11-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Plus Pennington > Orton.

Go tell poops.

errand
11-14-2009, 05:50 AM
I love the Broncos, not any one player...now having said that. If the Broncos make the playoffs this year with Orton, and he has a pretty good season as well why wouldn't he have earned the chance to be our starter next season as well?

Alot of you guys act like Orton has thrown, I dunno, like 17 INT's already and we're sitting at 4-5 struggling to even break even. We're 6-2 and his TD to INT's ratio is 2-1. So far he's earned the chance to return as our starter.

And he will be in the same offensive system again with a stronger grasp of it. Now if the Broncos wanted to pursue Pennington as a back-up/mentor then I have no problem with that. Besides with half of you clowns thinking Orton sucks, what makes you think he'll command Matt Cassell money? BTW...Cassel's QB rating is higher than a franchise QB struggling in Chicago.

peacepipe
11-14-2009, 06:26 AM
I don't see anyway that Orton remains our starter next year even if we make the playoffs. Pennington isn't any better. I think simms or Brandstater have a better chance at starting next year.

errand
11-14-2009, 06:36 AM
I don't see anyway that Orton remains our starter next year even if we make the playoffs. Pennington isn't any better. I think simms or Brandstater have a better chance at starting next year.

You don't see any way Orton remains our starter next season?

At his current pace, he's gonna put up the following numbers -

340 of 538 - 63% - 18 TD's - 8 INT's with a 89.0 QB rating and 12 wins 4 losses.

You're telling us that if he comes pretty damn close to those kind of numbers and we make the playoffs, he has no chance of being our starter next season? Is you crazy?

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 06:44 AM

340 of 538 - 63% - 18 TD's - 8 INT's with a 89.0 QB rating and 12 wins 4 losses.

You're telling us that if he comes pretty damn close to those kind of numbers and we make the playoffs, he has no chance of being our starter next season? Is you crazy?

I think Orton is doing a solid job when he has perfect protection. But if he faces any pressure Orton is a below average QB. Orton doesn't make plays on his own...

GreatBronco16
11-14-2009, 07:18 AM
I think Orton is doing a solid job when he has perfect protection. But if he faces any pressure Orton is a below average QB. Orton doesn't make plays on his own...

And Pennington does?

elsid13
11-14-2009, 07:24 AM
If we go FA path rather then the draft then it better to go for Kellen Clemens, at least he still young and has ability to drive the ball down the field. And as Sanchez, O'Connell and Ainge have contract for the next 3 years, he looks to be the odd man out.

Florida_Bronco
11-14-2009, 07:56 AM

My thoughts exactly.

CEH
11-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Did you see the '08 playoff game.
Chad Pennington is not the answer just anoher stop gap

Signing Chad is not moving this team forward

RMT
11-14-2009, 08:20 AM
who says the starter of the future (brandstater) isn't already on the team?

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Did you see the '08 playoff game.
Chad Pennington is not the answer just anoher stop gap

Signing Chad is not moving this team forward

Neither is signing Orton to a longterm deal.

loborugger
11-14-2009, 08:21 AM
"Broncos have the ball, first and goal on the 2. Pennington is in the shotgun. Wiegmann snaps the ball. Pennington pumps, then hands the ball to Larry Johnson on a draw play. Johnson bounces it outside. He is headed for the corner. He gets a key block from Terrell Owens. TOUCHDOWN, BRONCOS. This play really confused the defense lined up for the pass, I dont think they ever saw that coming. With 30 seconds to go, Denver takes a 13 point lead in Super Bowl."

Killericon
11-14-2009, 08:27 AM
LOL

Well done.

oubronco
11-14-2009, 08:29 AM
just draft a QBOF and let's get it on

Rabb
11-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I love when someone makes a thread asking an opinion, then shoots down every answer

no to Pennington, Orton is doing just fine

CEH
11-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Neither is signing Orton to a longterm deal.

Never said signing Orton was the answer just stated IMO signing Chad was not the answer I would search out come March 1

I didn't realize there were only two possible solutions to our QB dilemma
Chad or Kyle?

bronco610
11-14-2009, 09:21 AM
To the OP no. We have our QB of the future in Brandstater.

DarkHorse
11-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Brandstater FOR THE WIN

LOL

barryr
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM
And people say that Orton doesn't have this or that, yet Pennington has no arm strength, especially after multiple arm surgeries and no mobility at all either. It's not surprising the Dolphin offense started playing better with a new QB.

HAT
11-14-2009, 11:29 AM
So would you rather stick with Orton for the next 5 years?

Absolutely. I like winning.

Popps
11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Again, I like Orton. I'm not sure if he's the "big-picture" answer for us, but I also think we haven't seen enough to know where he'll end up. The guy is still developing in this offense. So, it's hard to say what we do at the QB spot.

I will say, I liked what I saw of Brandstater in the preseason. I'd be interested to see more... and I suspect McDaniels was impressed, even though he didn't let on much.

errand
11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
...and most on here still haven't learned their lesson. Does anyone recall what happened to the Broncos the last time they replaced a QB who was moderately talented but won alot of games for us?

We went 10-7, 10-7, 14-4 and 7-4 with Jake Plummer. Grand total including playoffs 41-22 .650%....One AFC championship game appearance

We kissed some hot shot superstar frog with a rocket arm from Vanderbilt to the tune of 2-3, 7-9, 8-8. Grand total (I'd include the playoffs, but we didn't make the playoffs) 17-20 .460%

We acquired another moderately talented QB from Chicago who is currently 6-2. .750% and more than likely will make the playoffs after a 3 year absence.

...and yet all alot of posters on here want to do is post threads wondering what we can do to replace him....to which i say, "careful what you wish for"

errand
11-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Absolutely. I like winning.

Rep.

Too bad people like you, popps and Iaren't the majority on here. Winning takes a back seat to hero worship on this board.

strafen
11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Pennington= Orton part II

strafen
11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
We've seen the ceiling in Orton. Learning the system any more than he has, is not going to change the fact he lacks physical strength and skills to be a starting QB in the NFL.
Teams are playing us on a short field because of that bum, thereby, stopping our abilities to run the ball at the same time.

bronco610
11-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Rep.

Too bad people like you, popps and Iaren't the majority on here. Winning takes a back seat to hero worship on this board.

I am not against Orton, I def. do not like Simms. But I do not believe Orton can make ALL the throws at the NFL level or in McD's offense and I truly would like to see all the offense.

LRtagger
11-14-2009, 02:11 PM

So then wouldn't you think the most logical solution would be shoring up the middle of the Oline and improving protection for Orton? Then when we have a young guy groomed we can plug him in behind a line that will keep him off his back.

No, let's draft Mallet...plug him in behind a line that has struggled blocking in this scheme...in an offense that is built around reading NFL defenses (something most college QBs can't do coming out) and see what happens just because some fans think Orton is this team's biggest problem.

:lombardi:

outdoor_miner
11-14-2009, 02:20 PM
We've seen the ceiling in Orton. Learning the system any more than he has, is not going to change the fact he lacks physical strength and skills to be a starting QB in the NFL.
Teams are playing us on a short field because of that bum, thereby, stopping our abilities to run the ball at the same time.

If Orton's ceiling is the New England game, I'll take that every Sunday, thank-you-very-much!

As for the thread, Orton > Pennington.

Not saying Orton is the long-term answer (although, I still think it's possible), but he is better than Pennington.

broncolife
11-14-2009, 02:24 PM
...and most on here still haven't learned their lesson. Does anyone recall what happened to the Broncos the last time they replaced a QB who was moderately talented but won alot of games for us?

We went 10-7, 10-7, 14-4 and 7-4 with Jake Plummer. Grand total including playoffs 41-22 .650%....One AFC championship game appearance

We kissed some hot shot superstar frog with a rocket arm from Vanderbilt to the tune of 2-3, 7-9, 8-8. Grand total (I'd include the playoffs, but we didn't make the playoffs) 17-20 .460%

We acquired another moderately talented QB from Chicago who is currently 6-2. .750% and more than likely will make the playoffs after a 3 year absence.

...and yet all alot of posters on here want to do is post threads wondering what we can do to replace him....to which i say, "careful what you wish for"

Griese stats in the 9 games he started in 2000
216 of 336 -64.3% - 19 TD - 4 INT's with a 102.9 rating

And everyone remember when we resigned Griese to that huge contract after the 2000 season.And his Dink and Dunk skills were better than Orton at that time. I knew the Greaseball was a piece of Shiat before we resigned him, but we had to give him a chance after that year especially with kc pushing up the offer.The difference between Griese that year and Orton this year is that Griese not only kept the ball safe he actually helped the team by scoring.We didnt treat the O like it was a weakness.With this O we are playing too safe and we are treating the O like a weakness. I couldnt believe my eyes with the way we ran our 2 minute O last week.I dont know if its Orton or Mcdaniels but I believe it a little of both. Mcdaniels doesnt trust or believe Orton is ready to open it up. Orton is afraid to open it up or is being told not to. The O was starting to do better before we played these 2 tough Ds so hopefully it can get on track. Now do I think Orton is the answer...NO..I didnt like Griese so I dont know why I would like Orton besides the neckbeard(a moment of silence please...RIP..).But signing injury prone Chad isnt the answer either.If Orton is willing resign at a fair price to compete for the starting position then I wouldnt mind him coming back.And if he wins it, he wins it.But I beileve we should always be looking to improve and I think we could definatly improve at the qb position.

fontaine
11-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Griese stats in the 10 games he started in 2000
216 of 336 -64.3% - 19 TD - 4 INT's with a 102.9 rating

And everyone remember when we resigned Griese to that huge contract after the 2000 season.And his Dink and Dunk skills were better than Orton at that time. I knew the Greaseball was a piece of Shiat before we resigned him, but we had to give him a chance after that year especially with kc pushing up the offer.The difference between Griese that year and Orton this year is that Griese not only kept the ball safe he actually helped the team by scoring.We didnt treat the O like it was a weakness.With this O we are playing too safe and we are treating the O like a weakness. I couldnt believe my eyes with the way we ran our 2 minute O last week.I dont know if its Orton or Mcdaniels but I believe it a little of both. Mcdaniels doesnt trust or believe Orton is ready to open it up. Orton is afraid to open it up or is being told not to. The O was starting to do better before we played these 2 tough Ds so hopefully it can get on track. Now do I think Orton is the answer...NO..I didnt like Griese so I dont know why I would like Orton besides the neckbeard(a moment of silence please...RIP..).But signing injury prone Chad isnt the answer either.If Orton is willing resign at a fair price to compete for the starting position then I wouldnt mind him coming back.And if he wins it, he wins it.But I beileve we should always be looking to improve and I think we could definatly improve at the qb position.

No, the big difference was that Mike Anderson had one of the greatest rookie seasons from a RB.

This guy scored more TDs (15) than games he started (12), set rookie records in total yards in a game when he destroyed the Saints and was a ball carrying machine.

That completely opened up our offense because Rod Smith and Eddie Mac were in their prime and ran amok with safeties scared sh*tless against the running game.

DarkHorse
11-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Rep.

Bah - i'm thankful the Broncos are even in the league. I live in the Cleveland area, this place was torn apart when the league ripped the Browns away.

Win or Lose, i'm glad I can still afford my NFL Ticket so we don't miss a game.

DenverBound
11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Rather than resigning Orton to some Cassel-like contract do you think we should go after Pennington instead? Pennington is a free agent after this season and would come much cheaper coming off of shoulder surgery than Orton would. He probably would only sign a contract for a couple years until we find our next QB.

Personally, I would love to have Pennington and think he would fit in perfectly with this offense.

It's threads like this that make me want to punch someone in the ear. No.

I do agree, however, 21 is no Champ.

backup qb
11-14-2009, 03:24 PM
No to Pennington, No to Orton.

broncolife
11-14-2009, 03:45 PM
No, the big difference was that Mike Anderson had one of the greatest rookie seasons from a RB.

This guy scored more TDs (15) than games he started (12), set rookie records in total yards in a game when he destroyed the Saints and was a ball carrying machine.

That completely opened up our offense because Rod Smith and Eddie Mac were in their prime and ran amok with safeties scared sh*tless against the running game.

Mike Anderson stats with Griese in
Yards/td
1-0 0
2-131 2
3-187 0
5-26 0
6-52 0
7-103 1
8-92 1
10 3 0
11-0 0
Most of his best game came when Griese wasnt playing. Except for 2 games we were a pass happy offense with Griese, which explains Rod and Eddie Macs both getting 100 rec each.Were talking about a O were Griese attempted over 40 passes in 1/3 of his games.

snowspot66
11-14-2009, 04:14 PM

Jesus Christ. How many QB's make plays on their own?

Manning? **** no. Brady? Not really. Rothlisberger? Yeah. He also takes a **** load of sacks and turns the ball over a lot more than those two. But he has the defense to get away with it.

Look at Manning when he gets pressure. Orton looks downright calm compared to Manning and his **** stained pants when the pressure is on.

snowspot66
11-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Or... They know they can leave their safeties deep or do whatever they want with them because they know the dline an linebackers can easily handle our run game without help. They can also blow up the middle on pass plays without help.

Our weak interrior line on the left is seriously diminishing our ability to pass or run. We could have Brees/Brady/Manning at QB and they would still be leaving the Safeties deep because we aren't a dominant run team right now.

strafen
11-14-2009, 05:44 PM
If Orton's ceiling is the New England game, I'll take that every Sunday, thank-you-very-much!

As for the thread, Orton > Pennington.

Not saying Orton is the long-term answer (although, I still think it's possible), but he is better than Pennington.

Too bad we don't play NE 16 times in a season, otherwise I too would be in the bandwagon...

rastaman
11-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I love the Broncos, not any one player...now having said that. If the Broncos make the playoffs this year with Orton, and he has a pretty good season as well why wouldn't he have earned the chance to be our starter next season as well?

Alot of you guys act like Orton has thrown, I dunno, like 17 INT's already and we're sitting at 4-5 struggling to even break even. We're 6-2 and his TD to INT's ratio is 2-1. So far he's earned the chance to return as our starter.

And he will be in the same offensive system again with a stronger grasp of it. Now if the Broncos wanted to pursue Pennington as a back-up/mentor then I have no problem with that. Besides with half of you clowns thinking Orton sucks, what makes you think he'll command Matt Cassell money? BTW...Cassel's QB rating is higher than a franchise QB struggling in Chicago.

No disrepect or nothing against Orton. However, I believe Orton has reached his peak. He's not the type of QB you build a team around. He's great at managing the game and can hold the line until "Reinforcements" arrive to save the day. But he's not the long term answer. Orton can't take over a game and save the day when adversity is swirling around him in terms of avoiding the rush, throwing an accurate intermediate/deep ball. I don't know what it is, perhaps he over analyzes his reads/decision making in terms of releasing the ball and hitting his WR's in stride or his confidence with hitting the deep passes....but somethings missing. Its really an enigma b/c at Purdue Kyle was a much better in college than he has shown in the NFL.

Now Kyle has 8 games this season and possible all next season to prove otherwise; however, I think McD is behind the curtains is working on upgrading the QB position.

Blueflame
11-14-2009, 06:20 PM

I think you may have missed a key part of the OP, Errand...

Now, it seems to me that the question is not "Has Orton earned a shot at being our QB next year?"... but instead "Has Orton earned a shot at being our QB next year at a significantly higher salary?" If we're talking about quadrupling his salary, then that would definitely make a difference in the answer to the question.

snowspot66
11-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Question.

Why is Orton "at his peak" when this is just his third year as a starter and first away from QB purgatory in Chicago?

bronco610
11-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Question.

Why is Orton "at his peak" when this is just his third year as a starter and first away from QB purgatory in Chicago?

Because he cannot make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make. He just doesn't have the arm !!!!! I like his grit and his leadership but the "it" is just not there.

McDman
11-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Because he cannot make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make. He just doesn't have the arm !!!!! I like his grit and his leadership but the "it" is just not there.

This argument has been shot down numerous times. If you watch his tape it is clear he has the arm to make all the throws necessary. If he lacks anything it's mobility and the ability to stay calm in the pocket under pressure, not his arm.

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 09:41 PM
This argument has been shot down numerous times. If you watch his tape it is clear he has the arm to make all the throws necessary. If he lacks anything it's mobility and the ability to stay calm in the pocket under pressure, not his arm.

He doesn't lack an arm he just lacks accuracy on anything over 15 yards. I really don't want to see us make the same mistake that KC did when they locked up Cassel long term.

bronco610
11-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I have watched every game and unless he has a perfect pocket and can really step into his throw, anything past 20 yards is not in his range. In the NFL thats just not good enough.

bronco610
11-14-2009, 09:44 PM
He doesn't lack an arm he just lacks accuracy on anything over 15 yards. I really don't want to see us make the same mistake that KC did when they locked up Cassel long term.

This !!!!

errand
11-14-2009, 09:57 PM
We've seen the ceiling in Orton.

..and you know this how?

Learning the system any more than he has, is not going to change the fact he lacks physical strength and skills to be a starting QB in the NFL.

You mean he's not a starting QB in the NFL? Then who is that wearing #8 for the Broncos every game?

OK, again then explain how is it the Bears, Chargers, Colts, Eagles, Redskins, Bucs, and Raiders cannot run the ball despite having QB's that cause defenses to not play the field short?

In bold

errand
11-14-2009, 10:00 PM
I am not against Orton, I def. do not like Simms. But I do not believe Orton can make ALL the throws at the NFL level or in McD's offense and I truly would like to see all the offense.

He can make all the throws....video and eyewitness testimony has proven this numerous times. His arm isn't the strongest, but it is good enough. Why do you guys think you know more than those who have been involved in the game practically since birth?

If he couldn't make all the throws, and if he truly lacked enough arm strength he'd be selling insurance somewhere....

BroncoBuff
11-14-2009, 10:08 PM
He can make all the throws....video and eyewitness testimony has proven this numerous times. His arm isn't the strongest, but it is good enough. Why do you guys think you know more than those who have been involved in the game practically since birth?

If he couldn't make all the throws, and if he truly lacked enough arm strength he'd be selling insurance somewhere....

If he could make all the throws, our running game wouldn't be stonewalled by defenses not afraid of his arm.

Have you seen our running game numbers the past few weeks? He's not scaring anybody.

errand
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I think you may have missed a key part of the OP, Errand...

I haven't and rarely do I miss anything Blueflame....

My response you highlighted was to a poster who said he saw no way Orton could be our starter next season. It was not in response to the original poster's question.

errand
11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
I have watched every game and unless he has a perfect pocket and can really step into his throw, anything past 20 yards is not in his range. In the NFL thats just not good enough.

..and a 4-5 record while throwing 17 INT's in 9 games is good enough?

BroncoBuff
11-14-2009, 10:13 PM
He's talking about Orton ... and while I don't agree 100%, it is a serious issue. Our offense has fallen to pieces.

errand
11-14-2009, 10:17 PM
If he could make all the throws, our running game wouldn't be stonewalled by defenses not afraid of his arm.

Have you seen our running game numbers the past few weeks? He's not scaring anybody.

Do you think QB's like Cutler, Rivers, McNabb, and Manning scare opposing D's?

They have running games that are equal to or worse than ours. so please explain that theory of the QB posing a threat opening up the running game

errand
11-14-2009, 10:35 PM
OK, so the theory posed by several posters on here is that our running game struggles because our QB lacks the arm strength to stretch the field.

OK, looking at the average yards rushing per game we see that several teams have worse running games than the Broncos do. For the record the Broncos average 111.1 yards rushing per game.

The following teams have worse running games than we do.

Chargers - 69.6 ypg
Seahawks - 84.5 ypg
Bears - 85.2 ypg
Colts - 85.4 ypg
Texans - 90.8 ypg
Raiders - 93.6 ypg
Redskins - 98.8 ypg
Eagles - 111.2 ypg (while they technically are one place higher in rankings, they're just s bad as we are at running the ball)

Now how many believe that Kyle Orton's arm is stronger than Phillip Rivers'? Matt Hasselbeck's? Jay Cutler's? Peyton Manning's? Matt Schaub's? JaMarcus Russell's? Jason Campbell's? Donovan McNabb's?

And to further make the point that you clowns don't know what you're talking about...let's look at two more strong armed QB's rushing attacks....Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco...both of whom possess top notch NFL arms, right?

Their respective teams average 115.2 (Steelers) and 116.1 (Ravens).

So are you telling me that an extra 4-5 yards rushing would have won either of those games we lost?

bronco610
11-14-2009, 10:56 PM
..and a 4-5 record while throwing 17 INT's in 9 games is good enough?

Not a cutler fan. Lets get that straight. He's a boozer and a prima donna. I am just saying while Orton might be a game manager he does not have all the throws to complete an entire NFL offense. Including the Offense McD. brought from NE.

bronco610
11-14-2009, 10:59 PM
OK, so the theory posed by several posters on here is that our running game struggles because our QB lacks the arm strength to stretch the field.

OK, looking at the average yards rushing per game we see that several teams have worse running games than the Broncos do. For the record the Broncos average 111.1 yards rushing per game.

The following teams have worse running games than we do.

Chargers - 69.6 ypg
Seahawks - 84.5 ypg
Bears - 85.2 ypg
Colts - 85.4 ypg
Texans - 90.8 ypg
Raiders - 93.6 ypg
Redskins - 98.8 ypg
Eagles - 111.2 ypg (while they technically are one place higher in rankings, they're just s bad as we are at running the ball)

Now how many believe that Kyle Orton's arm is stronger than Phillip Rivers'? Matt Hasselbeck's? Jay Cutler's? Peyton Manning's? Matt Schaub's? JaMarcus Russell's? Jason Campbell's? Donovan McNabb's?

And to further make the point that you clowns don't know what you're talking about...let's look at two more strong armed QB's rushing attacks....Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco...both of whom possess top notch NFL arms, right?

Their respective teams average 115.2 (Steelers) and 116.1 (Ravens).

So are you telling me that an extra 4-5 yards rushing would have won either of those games we lost?

Not my arguement at all. My arguement is Orton is a good manager but not a good NFL QB.

bronco610
11-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I want to see what we have in Brandstater. Not now but I would like to see him compete next year. If Orton goes down I would rather see him in than simms.

frerottenextelway
11-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Pennington would do fine the first 2 games, but what about the last 14 after he gets injured?

bronco610
11-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Pennington would do fine the first 2 games, but what about the last 14 after he gets injured?

:~ohyah!::~ohyah!::~ohyah!::~ohyah!:

Blueflame
11-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I haven't and rarely do I miss anything Blueflame....

My response you highlighted was to a poster who said he saw no way Orton could be our starter next season. It was not in response to the original poster's question.

Then the question still stands...has Orton earned a shot at being our starting QB next year... even if he/his agent demands a Cassel-like contract? I'm not convinced that paying him at an "elite-QB-level is justifiable just yet. He's still a serviceable... if mediocre... QB. One who brings as many limitations and liabilities as assets to the table. JMHO.

If he comes at a reasonable (cheap) price, then OK.

HAT
11-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Our offense has fallen to pieces.

Against 2 historically stout defenses......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rr-fLEf21tA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rr-fLEf21tA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

errand
11-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Not my arguement at all. My arguement is Orton is a good manager but not a good NFL QB.

The post wasn't for you...it was for guys like Broncobuff and anyone else who has claimed our running game stinks because of our QB's alleged lack of arm strength.

errand
11-15-2009, 04:15 AM
Then the question still stands...has Orton earned a shot at being our starting QB next year... even if he/his agent demands a Cassel-like contract?

Well, first off he's a RFA, which means we have right of first refusal...so unless another team believes he's all that and a bag of chips, then we can wait and see what someone else offers him.

But I'll pose the same question to you...if he puts up very good numbers and we make playoffs, then why would you get rid of him? What does he have to do to earn a chance to be our starter in 2010 in your eyes?

BMarsh615
11-15-2009, 04:53 AM
What does he have to do to earn a chance to be our starter in 2010 in your eyes?

Lead an offense that puts up more than 18.8 points per game. With the defense we have there is no excuse for not putting up at least 25 points a game. They actually get our offense the ball back.

NYBronco
11-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Orton is doing just fine while getting up to speed in McD's offensive construction project. As are many other players, some which have recently been benched earned the pine and should help Orton/RB's.

elsid13
11-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Do you think QB's like Cutler, Rivers, McNabb, and Manning scare opposing D's?

They have running games that are equal to or worse than ours. so please explain that theory of the QB posing a threat opening up the running game

Actually they force defense to maintain a cover 2 or 3 look, which keep that 8 defender out of the box. Right now, wither by player limitation or play calling, teams are moving that 8 man in the box. I know McDaniels says team are playing the safeties back deep, but it sure looks like there are 9 to 10 men with 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.