PDA

View Full Version : Coordinators who could become head coaches next year?

Florida_Bronco
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Thought I'd get a jump on the coaching discussions for next year, since we'll probably have more than a few vacant positions.

I think Leslie Frazier probably gets a shot. Maybe Mike Zimmer and Brian Schottenheimer as well.

Who else might be up for a head coaching job?

richpjr
11-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Nolan?

UberBroncoMan
11-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Nolan?

I'm hoping he learned the Dick LeBeau lesson and realized he's not head coaching material.

Florida_Bronco
11-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Nolan?

I'm more talking about first time head coaches. Guess I should have clarified that.

Beyond that, lots of people are saying that Nolan probably won't be leaving here since he has so many ties to the Denver area.

BMarsh615
11-13-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know if enough jobs will open up because there are a few of A++++ coaching candidates out there. I would figure most teams would rather have Shanny, Marty, Holmgren, or Gruden than somebody else. Not that the other guys aren't worthy of the job, its just those guys are great HC's.

Will more than 4 HC's get fired after the season?

Florida_Bronco
11-13-2009, 08:51 PM
No guarantee that Gruden and Marty get picked up. Holmgren has said he would come back, but he never said whether it would be to coach or work in the front office.

Durango
11-13-2009, 10:01 PM
A young guy I was hoping would be on the Bronco radar after the firing of Shanny was Sean McDermott, the DC of Philly who took over the defense after the untimely death of long-time DC Jim Johnson.

This is a Josh McDaniels kind of mind, only on defense. With the likes of Cutler in place and the O-Line and WR talent Denver had already, I sincerely believed this guy might've worked wonders here.

He will be on someones' radar this off-season.

_Oro_
11-13-2009, 10:31 PM
5 ints durango

strafen
11-13-2009, 10:35 PM
No guarantee that Gruden and Marty get picked up. Holmgren has said he would come back, but he never said whether it would be to coach or work in the front office.Isn't Holmgren still coaching the Seahawks though?

To answer the OP question, Ron Rivera DC of the Chargers could well end up being named as a possible candidate for a HC position...

Bob's your Information Minister
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm hoping Todd Haley becomes a head coach next year.

Rausch 2.0
11-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm hoping Todd Haley becomes a head coach next year.

That'd be awesome!

BroncoMan4ever
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I don't know if enough jobs will open up because there are a few of A++++ coaching candidates out there. I would figure most teams would rather have Shanny, Marty, Holmgren, or Gruden than somebody else. Not that the other guys aren't worthy of the job, its just those guys are great HC's.

Will more than 4 HC's get fired after the season?

actually with the league trend currently being to bring in younger coaches who can relate with the players, it isn't a given that guys like Shanahan, Marty, Holmgren, Gruden or Cowher could just throw their names into the willing to work catergory and land a job.

Figure, Shanahan, Homgren, Cowher and possibly Gruden are going to want a lot more control over the team rather than just being an HC, and there are not a lot of franchises in the league that would willingly give 1 man that kind of power.

also, the cost of these proven guys is a lot higher than that of a young HC, and the league is copycat. success by guys like Tomlin and McDaniels makes other owners stop and think they can get lucky with a young guy for a 1/3 the cost of a guy like Shanahan

Crushaholic
11-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Leslie Frazier is likely to get the next shot...

elsid13
11-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Kyle Shanahan was mentioned as someone who was under serious consideration to be HC, by Mort on ESPiN.

BMarsh615
11-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Larry Coyer he does have the No. 1 defense in the NFL :~ohyah!:

s0phr0syne
11-14-2009, 06:46 AM
like a couple of other people, I think Brian Shottenheimer has a good chance, if not this year, then very soon. He's been doing some good things to keep the Jets competitive these last few years despite mediocre talent on offense.

Of course, now he's got the rookie QB in Sanchez + Braylon, so maybe he sticks around to bring that to its maximum potential?

Florida_Bronco
11-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Kyle Shanahan was mentioned as someone who was under serious consideration to be HC, by Mort on ESPiN.

Interesting.

elsid13
11-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Interesting.

Wouldn't be strange if Kyle gets HC job before his old man?

Florida_Bronco
11-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Indeed it would be. :approve:

BroncoMan4ever
11-15-2009, 01:06 AM

Kyle Shanahan strikes me as a guy who needs a few more years before he can be a viable HC candidate. he reminds me of Kubiak the 1st time he interviewed to be the Texans HC. he interviewed the TExans innaugural year, but the owner felt he wasn't ready for the job at that time, a few years went by and he was ready for the job.

Rausch 2.0
11-15-2009, 01:42 AM

I'd bet Shanny and Cowher both have high paying jobs next year...

Florida_Bronco
11-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Kyle Shanahan strikes me as a guy who needs a few more years before he can be a viable HC candidate. he reminds me of Kubiak the 1st time he interviewed to be the Texans HC. he interviewed the TExans innaugural year, but the owner felt he wasn't ready for the job at that time, a few years went by and he was ready for the job.

I agree.

ScottXray
11-15-2009, 02:41 AM
If Kubiak doesn't get the Texans in the playoffs soon (this year) his time is running out.

It's been , what , 5 years? Seems as if they truly are Denver south....can't seem to keep games close and poor defense is a constant problem.

Not sure if what has happened with Denver this year won't result in a downgrade of owners opinions of Shannys capabilities. I'm almost positive he won't get any kind of deal like what he had here. Plus the new young coaches coming up are the future of the league. Not saying Shanny won't succeed, but that he won't get the kind of gig he had and he will not have a long (5 year) time period to do it. It is a win "now" league, and 'reputation' is worthless anymore. Show me, or don't let the door hit you in the rear end
on your way out.

NYBronco
11-15-2009, 04:39 AM
I'd bet Shanny and Cowher both have high paying jobs next year...

Shanny isn't doing too bad for himself... this year.