PDA

View Full Version : Tarkenton on Cutler

HAT
11-13-2009, 03:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4652043

Feel free to post FAIL pics or merge if this is already posted. :thumbs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fran Tarkenton admits he hasn't seen much of Jay Cutler, but he saw enough Thursday night to render an opinion on the embattled Chicago Bears quarterback.

ESPN 1000, Chicago

Minnesota Vikings Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton joined "Waddle & Silvy" to share his less than positive feedback on the Bears and Jay Cutler.

More Podcasts

"I really question whether he can play," Tarkenton, the Hall of Fame quarterback and former Minnesota Viking, said Friday on "The Waddle and Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. "Quarterbacks need to make their team better. If it's a bad team, they can even make a bad team better. Somebody may say well, even Peyton Manning couldn't help the Bears. Yes, he could. Tom Brady could, too. They might not win the championship or get to the playoffs, but they would make that team better. Those wide receivers who are struggling would be better because they would make them better."

Cutler threw five interceptions, including one in the end zone in the final seconds of the Bears' 10-6 loss Thursday to the San Francisco 49ers.

Tarkenton, who led the Vikings to three Super Bowls in the 1970s, disputed the notion that Cutler's mechanics needed work. It's a lot simpler than that, he said.

"Great quarterbacks, good quarterbacks, make plays," Tarkenton said on "The Waddle and Silvy Show." "Mechanics is overwrought. Whether they're strong-armed, weak-armed, throw sidearm, throw overhead, they're fast, they're quick, I don't care. I just want someone to make plays. Peyton Manning doesn't look beautiful back there.

"Jay Cutler had every opportunity to make plays for his team last night and every opportunity he didn't. That's how I judge a quarterback: Either you make plays or you don't. I don't even want to talk about mechanics."

ESPNChicago.com Bears blog

Bears blog The latest news from Bears beat reporter Jeff Dickerson. Blog

What advice would Tarkenton give Cutler?

"If Jay Cutler is not comfortable with the offense or the way they are calling the plays, he ought to go in there and tell that coach [expletive]," Tarkenton said during radio interview. "Dan Fouts came into the league and for the first couple of years he was struggling. He said, 'What do you do?' I said, 'Dan, if you're not willing to go tell your head coach or your coordinator to kiss off, then you can't play quarterback in this league.'

"I don't think that will solve the problems of the Chicago Bears. The Chicago Bears need to start over. But for Jay Cutler to be a quarterback and make plays, he's got to take charge."

mhgaffney
11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Tarkenton was one of the great scramblers and a lot of fun to watch.

Houshyamama
11-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I wasn't outspoken one way or the other about the Cutler trade, but I'm damn happy to see that cry baby struggling. His aloof nature really got to me after he left. Maybe he's going to get better, maybe he just sucks and Shanahan/Marshall/Royal made him look good... but it's not looking good for Cutler right now.

TonyR
11-13-2009, 05:19 PM
"Great quarterbacks, good quarterbacks, make plays."

That about sums it up. A good QB wins that game last night. Jay Cutler has a load of talent and potential but he's not a very good QB.

Arkie
11-13-2009, 05:31 PM
In the NFL's first 16 game season, Tarkenton threw 32 interceptions and then retired. Maybe Cutler will top that this year.

bombay
11-13-2009, 05:34 PM

That about sums it up. A good QB wins that game last night. Jay Cutler has a load of talent and potential but he's not a very good QB.

Hell, a half decent qb wins that game last night. The Bears defense was top notch. San Francisco was ready to roll over. What kind of team punts from the opposing 35 with 3 minutes left in the game, up 4 points?

broncogary
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4652043

... "Dan Fouts came into the league and for the first couple of years he was struggling. ..."

If I remember correctly, Dan Fouts was injured his first year, and tore it up in his second year.

watermock
11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Honestly, I watched Tarkenton growing up, and he was a great playmaker/scrambler. I was SO PISSED when the Vikes gave away Gannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcR7hr4LLQg

Anyway, Tarkenson is an idiot, he used to make his living doing this:

Popps
11-13-2009, 07:20 PM
He's right about Cutler sucking.

Though, I disagree about Manning. He says he doesn't look "pretty."

I can't stand Manning, but find me a QB in the league with better mechanics?

He's not a scrambler, but Manning has robot-like mechanics.

watermock
11-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Cutler needs to grow a new set of patience. He first should apologized to the defense, the fans then ther owner,. He did none.I don't think he enjoys the game,

If getting traded to his boyhood team with a history of good and loosing a 10-6 game doesn't wake him up, and from his piost-pressor it hasn't., then giving hin 20M more is just going to hurt more.

Anyway, Tarkenton is an idiot. Most ex-jocks are.

rastaman
11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Tarkenton was one of the great scramblers and a lot of fun to watch.

Tarkennton also lost 3 SB's.

Mogulseeker
11-13-2009, 09:43 PM

It's not potential anymore. It's just talent, now.

broncocalijohn
11-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Honestly, I watched Tarkenton growing up, and he was a great playmaker/scrambler. I was SO PISSED when the Vikes gave away Gannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcR7hr4LLQg

Anyway, Tarkenson is an idiot, he used to make his living doing this:

You still crying over Cutler even after last night. It was vintage Cutler. Tarkenton is a HOF and was in the same mold as ELway. What the hell does Gannon have to do with Tark you drunk! They dont even go hand in hand as they are years apart. Go drink another one and find a cat to help you on the keyboard.

cutthemdown
11-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Orton probably not Broncos savior, but I think it's safe to say committing to Cutler would have been dangerous. Who knows what this player is going to do. So much for the Cutler is a winner when defenses hold opponents to under 20 B.S. Cutler has a huge problem with just total bonehead plays, then he mopes. He's friggin Jeff George and IMO before Cutler is done he will play for at least 4 NFL teams.

Bronco Bob
11-13-2009, 11:15 PM

So did Elway. What's your point?

Kaylore
11-13-2009, 11:15 PM
I just go back to the idea that all the people that say "Cutler needs a better line and receivers and a good coordinator" are effectively saying Cutler is the same as every other run-of-the-mill QB in football. That's what Tarkenton is saying. I also personally feel that his poor attitude and lack of leadership at best doesn't really inspire his teammates, and at worst provokes apathy amongst them. Cutler's teams don't play hard for him.

strafen
11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
It will take Cutler a few more portions of humble pie before he settles down and start asking for help to improve his game.

So far on what I've seen of him has been more of "I'm going to do it my way and will my team to victory"Nothing wrong with that mentality but having a strong arm and the ability to throw one of the most beautiful and fluid passes I've ever seen in the NFL doesn't make him a good QB.

No doubt he's got the physical skills to play the position which would translate into a huge potential later on in his career, but the guy needs some better in the way of thinking and reading defenses

If he continues to show a thin skin and immaturity, he's going to go down as one of themost overrated QB's in NFL history

BroncoMan4ever
11-14-2009, 01:14 AM
It will take Cutler a few more portions of humble pie before he settles down and start asking for help to improve his game.

So far on what I've seen of him has been more of "I'm going to do it my way and will my team to victory"Nothing wrong with that mentality but having a strong arm and the ability to throw one of the most beautiful and fluid passes I've ever seen in the NFL doesn't make him a good QB.

No doubt he's got the physical skills to play the position which would translate into a huge potential later on in his career, but the guy needs some better in the way of thinking and reading defenses

If he continues to show a thin skin and immaturity, he's going to go down as one of themost overrated QB's in NFL history

he has gone 21-25 over his entire career, he throws interceptions in bunches on what is getting to be a weekly basis, he has read what the media and fans think of his attitude. he has been served an abundance of humble pie, and it has not yet done a damn thing to stir anything in him to do anything about it.

the guy has all the physical skills a QB could ever ask for, but he just does not have the mental ability to ever put his talent to full use. he is always going to be a guy with tons of potential but never a winner.

BroncoMan4ever
11-14-2009, 01:20 AM
I just go back to the idea that all the people that say "Cutler needs a better line and receivers and a good coordinator" are effectively saying Cutler is the same as every other run-of-the-mill QB in football. That's what Tarkenton is saying. I also personally feel that his poor attitude and lack of leadership at best doesn't really inspire his teammates, and at worst provokes apathy amongst them. Cutler's teams don't play hard for him.

exactly. a team will overachieve and work harder for a leader who they know is going to battle side by side with them every second of every game all season long, a leader that they know is giving all he has, even if that QB doesn't have incredible physical talent, his teammates will respect, follow and work their asses off for him.

a guy with all the talent in the world, but a ****ty attitude, poor leadership skills, and a quitter and whiner mentality, will never have the respect or admiration of his team. his teammates won't give everything they have for a guy they have no faith or respect in.

i tried saying this all offseason. Orton doesn't have the talent of Cutler, but he has heart, he is a leader and a guy the team will rally and overachieve for. through the loss of athletic talent at the QB position, we made the TEAM better.

Paladin
11-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Lord knows. "There is nothing worse than having potential". Charlie Brown...........

watermock
11-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Well great.

Cutler is unhappy, after getting 20 million. I should be so cursed.

Hulamau
11-14-2009, 02:10 AM

Make that point AFTER Cutler comes within a country mile of the playoffs at least once, much less starting in three Super Bowls ... classic rasta logic!

Popps
11-14-2009, 02:13 AM

So did John Elway.

errand
11-14-2009, 06:05 AM

Anyway, Tarkenton is an idiot, he used to make his living doing this:

Yes, because great playmakers are morons when commenting on the position they use to make plays at. Someone is an idiot...but it ain't Tarkenton....

errand
11-14-2009, 06:16 AM
If I remember correctly, Dan Fouts was injured his first year, and tore it up in his second year.

Well, you remember incorrectly....unless you thought '77 was his rookie season.

Fouts was a rookie in '73...

Dan Fouts struggled until 1978 campaign where he finally threw more TD's than INT's for the first time in his career....he ended that year with 24 TD's and 20 INT's.

His rookie season he tossed 6 TD's to 8 INT's.

His 2nd year it was 8 TD's to 13 INT's

His 3rd season, 2 TD's -10 INT's

His 4th season 14 TD's - 15 INT's

His 5th season 4TD's - 6 INT's

Grand total for his first 5 seasons 34 TD's vs. 52 INTs

Dan Fouts actually threw almost as many INT's as he did TD's (254 td's to 242 int's)...and still made the Hall of Fame.

So there's still hope for Jay....but he'd have to make the playoffs alot as well in order to overcome it, oh, and be a great playmaker....oh, and win a playoff game or two....oh, and win alot more regular season games...oh, and be a team leader...oh, and be accomodating to the media after a tough loss where he played like crap and threw a buttload of picks....LOLLOL

errand
11-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Cutler needs to grow a new set of patience. He first should apologized to the defense, the fans then ther owner,. He did none.I don't think he enjoys the game,

Anyway, Tarkenton is an idiot. Most ex-jocks are.

Cutler needs to grow up...period. And because he's stinking it up for the Bears I doubt anyone in Chicago, let alone Jay, is enjoying the game....

And Tarkenton might be an idiot when commenting on other subjects like global warming, nuclear fission or how to make creme' brule...but he starred at the toughest job in the NFL for damn near two decades....so he has alot more credibility than some functioning alcoholic, who BTW actually ARE idiots.

misturanderson
11-14-2009, 09:47 AM
"If Jay Cutler is not comfortable with the offense or the way they are calling the plays, he ought to go in there and tell that coach [expletive]," Tarkenton said during radio interview. "Dan Fouts came into the league and for the first couple of years he was struggling. He said, 'What do you do?' I said, 'Dan, if you're not willing to go tell your head coach or your coordinator to kiss off, then you can't play quarterback in this league.'

"I don't think that will solve the problems of the Chicago Bears. The Chicago Bears need to start over. But for Jay Cutler to be a quarterback and make plays, he's got to take charge."

Does anyone else think this is the worst possible advise for that turd? Cutler needs to do pretty much the exact opposite and get someone to make him operate within some type of system and make better decisions. He hasn't really improved since the jump from his rookie year to his 2nd year and is now regressing. How is telling the coaching staff how to do their job going to improve this?

barryr
11-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Cutler is highly overrated as many of us suggested this past summer while his fans were all but giving the Super Bowl trophy to the Bears and wanting a new Bronco coach before preseason started. The Cutler fans look dumber with every Cutler pick.

baja
11-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Does anyone else think this is the worst possible advise for that turd? Cutler needs to do pretty much the exact opposite and get someone to make him operate within some type of system and make better decisions. He hasn't really improved since the jump from his rookie year to his 2nd year and is now regressing. How is telling the coaching staff how to do their job going to improve this?

yes and Chicago giving him a shinny new contract before he proved his worthiness on the field was the worst thing they could have done for his development into the quaterback he could have become.

broncogary
11-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Dan Fouts struggled until 1978 campaign where he finally threw more TD's than INT's for the first time in his career....he ended that year with 24 TD's and 20 INT's.

Dan Fouts actually threw almost as many INT's as he did TD's (254 td's to 242 int's)...and still made the Hall of Fame.

So there's still hope for Jay....but he'd have to make the playoffs alot as well in order to overcome it, oh, and be a great playmaker....oh, and win a playoff game or two....oh, and win alot more regular season games...oh, and be a team leader...oh, and be accomodating to the media after a tough loss where he played like crap and threw a buttload of picks....LOLLOL

You are so right.^5

baja
11-14-2009, 11:57 AM
There is no 'team' in Jay Cutler.

Gort
11-14-2009, 03:30 PM

that one SD/MIA playoff game is still one of the most entertaining games i've ever seen. i can't think of any Cutler games that were entertaining as a Broncos fan. of course, if you're a NE or SD or DET fan, i suppose there were a couple of good memories that Jay helped make. but as a Broncos fan... not so much.