PDA

View Full Version : If We Don't Beat the **** Out of the Redskins...

cmhargrove
11-13-2009, 09:35 AM
We're not really a very good team.
No Portis, Betts injured, reshuffled O-line, Jason Campbell...

Redskins RB Portis can't play vs. Broncos because of concussion

Associated Press
ASHBURN, Va. -- A concussion will keep Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis out of Sunday's game, one of many injury concerns for coach Jim Zorn as his team prepares to face the Denver Broncos.

Portis was hurt on a helmet-to-helmet hit during the first quarter of last Sunday's 31-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. He underwent tests this week and wasn't at the Redskins' practice facility Thursday.

"We kept Clinton at home just to get rest," Zorn said. "That was kind of doctor's orders."

Portis is having a disappointing season by his standards, with only 494 rushing yards. He last missed a game in 2006, when hand and shoulder injuries ended his season early.

Portis' injury means Ladell Betts will make his first start since 2006, assuming he is able to play. The backup is nursing a sprained ankle and didn't practice Thursday, although Zorn said he expects Betts to be available.

There also is considerable doubt as to the makeup of Washington's starting offensive line. Mike Williams is out with an ankle injury, so midseason signee Levi Jones will start at left tackle and Stephon Heyer has been moved from left tackle to right tackle. Heyer was limited in practice Thursday with a knee injury, and D'Anthony Batiste replaced him.

Also, Chad Rinehart could start ahead of Will Montgomery at right guard, although that move would be performance-related and not mandated by injuries.

"That's kind of an ongoing battle," Zorn said. "Our ranks are running thin."

The Redskins' original starting left tackle (Chris Samuels) and right guard (Randy Thomas) are out with season-ending injuries.

Also, the Redskins are dealing with a now-weekly quandary at punter. Hunter Smith, who has a recurring groin injury in his kicking leg, will try to punt during Friday's practice. If Smith can't play, Sam Paulescu will punt for the second consecutive game and Smith will be a candidate for season-ending injured reserve.

"It's a possibility if he continues to reaggravate this thing," Zorn said. "Tomorrow is kind of an important day."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Crushaholic
11-13-2009, 09:37 AM
We SHOULD smoke them. You're right. If we can't get healthy against the Redskins, we have SERIOUS problems...

Beantown Bronco
11-13-2009, 09:39 AM
If they don't like their punting situation, maybe we should offer them a trade. I'd take Paulescu back in a heartbeat.

Ambiguous
11-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes, it will kind of be like the first Chiefs game last year. Lose this game, and your not going anywhere - the writing was kind of on the wall after that game.

bronco militia
11-13-2009, 09:41 AM
I'll take a 1 point victory. There are no extra wins awarded for style points. This the NFL.... you know, big boy football.

Ray Finkle
11-13-2009, 09:43 AM
They have a good defense.....Denver needs to be able to run the ball well.

Garcia Bronco
11-13-2009, 09:47 AM
They have a good defense. People forget that. Stop it.

Rohirrim
11-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm thinking this is a low scoring game. Prater better be on target.

Majik
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
I have no doubts, we will destroy the skins.

cmhargrove
11-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I'll take a 1 point victory. There are no extra wins awarded for style points. This the NFL.... you know, big boy football.

Are you making a diaper boy joke?

Say what you want, and obviously one point is enough to win a game, but be realistic here. If we can't put away an ailing team like the Redskins, were not really a strong playoff contender, despite the fast start.

HAT
11-13-2009, 09:59 AM
They have a good defense.....Denver needs to be able to run the ball well.

They are giving up 125+ RYPG.

That being said....They have played alot of close games (>7) until recently.

23-13 sounds about right.

NFLBRONCO
11-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I doubt we smoke anybody this year. Our O is dreadful slow and is weak at QB/C/G positions.

HAT
11-13-2009, 10:12 AM
I doubt we smoke anybody this year. Our O is dreadful slow and is weak at QB/C/G positions.

Uhhh....Too late.

Karenin
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM

I thought most of the people like you had left by now??

meangene
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't care how much we win by, but we must win the next TWO if we are going to do anything this year.

NFLBRONCO
11-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I thought most of the people like you had left by now??

What do you mean? I'm one that has supported this regime all along. Heck I am pleased with this team progress so far. Even with that you'd have to admit our O has not hit stride yet this season. We struggled against two physical D's which happens to alot of teams. We aren't scoring that many points.

My point was I doubt we will smoke anyone this year because imo we need more speed to this dink offense and bolster our interior line to help struggling running game next year.

Karenin
11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
We already smoked two bad teams this year. Why exactly do you think we can't smoke a third?

Broncos4Life
11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I really think we'll barely beat them and we'll find out that this team is not as good many of us thought. I won't be surprised. We'll probably pull this one off by a FG. I really hope I'm wrong.

NFLBRONCO
11-13-2009, 10:49 AM
We already smoked two bad teams this year. Why exactly do you think we can't smoke a third?

The way our O has played and the blueprint is out on what gives us problems until I see us counter and score score score I don't expect us to smoke anyone but, it does not mean we won't.

Beantown Bronco
11-13-2009, 10:49 AM
My point was I doubt we will smoke anyone this year because imo we need more speed to this dink offense and bolster our interior line to help struggling running game next year.

27-6
23-3

Did you miss weeks 2 and 3 of this season?

Majik
11-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Yeah they've played: The Rams, The Lions, The Bucs, The Panthers, and The Chiefs.

Our defense would look like the 2nd coming, if we played those 5 games.

Williams
11-13-2009, 11:01 AM
i'll take a 1 point victory.

+1

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I seem to recall we played the Redskins once when all their RBs were out and they started an unknown.

bronco militia
11-13-2009, 11:27 AM
I seem to recall we played the Redskins once when all their RBs were out and they started an unknown.

the 2001 Redskins/Broncos game was the worst 60 minutes of NFL football I've ever seen

WolfpackGuy
11-13-2009, 11:30 AM
the 2001 Redskins/Broncos game was the worst 60 minutes of NFL football I've ever seen

LOL, that was horrible.

Worst thing that happened was knocking Tony Banks out of the game.

I remember seeing on TV that NOBODY was in the upper level late in the game.

Hogan11
11-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Even after last night?

Seriously, as many have already said, it's a "get healthy" game and anything less will push panic buttons all over the place.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Yep ... but I was talking about a different game.

That game was an even worse 60 minutes of football (45 actually).

bronco militia
11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
LOL, that was horrible.

Worst thing that happened was knocking Tony Banks out of the game.

I remember seeing on TV that NOBODY was in the upper level late in the game.

yeah...the 2nd half was so bad that it ruined everthing good that happened in the first half

bronco militia
11-13-2009, 11:36 AM
yep ... But i was talking about a different game.

sb xxii??

BigPlayShay
11-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Yep ... but I was talking about a different game.

Super Bowl XXII

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Yup .... sorry I even mentioned it :(

HorseHead
11-13-2009, 11:46 AM
paging Timmy Smith..uggh..worst day of my life..

WolfpackGuy
11-13-2009, 11:47 AM
That Super Bowl was horrible.

And to think the Redskins were the THIRD seed in the NFC that year...

bronco militia
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM
That Super Bowl was horrible.

And to think the Redskins were the THIRD seed in the NFC that year...

and to add..the broncos were a 4 point favorite and blew a 10-0 lead

Hogan11
11-13-2009, 11:54 AM
That Super Bowl was played in Qualcomm, so I consider those ghosts exercised myself by XXXII.

bronco militia
11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
That Super Bowl was played in Qualcomm, so I consider those ghosts exercised myself by XXXII.

I agree....all was forgiven that night

bpc
11-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Thankfully we're bringing our defense to the party and that should clamp down on any chance that Washington has of winning.

Kyle Orton needs to step his ass up and get going. We're a pass first team so the onus needs to be on him to step into a little bit of pressure and throw it to our playmakers, BMarsh and Royal.

The run game needs to get better too but Buck is average and I'm afraid to say it, so is Knowshon. It would be nice if they can give us a big game but they aren't usually of much impact without a passing game to open them up.

broncocalijohn
11-13-2009, 01:11 PM
We better beat them by at least two scores (11 minimum). THey have a good Defense but with their offense even worse now then last week, Orton and Company should shoot for a minimum of 24 points. With the D playing top notch, I think they will help the score reach closer to 30. This is one game they better not lose. The gimmes are here for the taking.

Hogan11
11-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I agree....all was forgiven that night

Forgiven? I wouldn't go that far....overruled is more like it :)

outdoor_miner
11-13-2009, 01:45 PM
When I first saw this thread, I thought: "We should really just be looking for a win." A win is a win, and injury-plagued teams can sometimes come out and play surprisingly well when the "depth" players know that they need to step up their games. This is almost a classic trap game with all the injuries the Redskins are faced with.

Then I remembered that I decided the Broncos were actually a good team when we stomped on the Browns and Raiders. Those teams clearly had no chance against us. We beat them up in every facet of the game. The media (and some Broncos fans) wrote those wins off as the Browns and Raiders sucking. In reality, good teams demolish bad teams, and that's what the Broncos did. The more I think about it, the more I think we should expect a big win this weekend.

I think I'm still a little gun-shy after the recent Shanahan years. We layed so many eggs against so many bad/below-average teams that I've come to accept a bad win against bad competition as acceptable. Now, I'm thinking if we really are a real playoff team, we should beat the snot out of the Redskins, just like we did against the Browns and Raiders.

Of course, in the end, I'll take a win. But, I'll really start to worry about a second half slide if we don't play a good game against this bad Redskins team.

NFLBRONCO
11-13-2009, 01:56 PM
27-6
23-3

Did you miss weeks 2 and 3 of this season?

The way our O has played lately the blueprint is out on what gives us problems until I see us counter and score score score I don't expect us to smoke anyone but, it does not mean we won't.

bronco militia
11-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Forgiven? I wouldn't go that far....overruled is more like it :)

bitter old man Ha!

Blart
11-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Campbell is having a good season, but nobody knows about it.

Rausch 2.0
11-13-2009, 02:43 PM
This should not even be a game...

Rohirrim
11-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Timmy Smith got his just desserts: Three years in a Denver federal prison. Payback is a mofo. ;D

broncofan7
11-13-2009, 02:53 PM

This is the same sentiment taken by those who graduate from Pharmacy, Law or Medical school with their 2.0 GPA and then they go out and fail the Licensure/Bar examination ---they prove that they do not belong in the profession--if we cannot handle the 2-6 DEADSKINS--we will soon prove that the 1st 6 games were as much of a fluke as that tipped pass in Cincinnati and statistically speaking--the Offense is our rate limiting factor in our formula for success.......If a QB who hadn't played since HS improved as the season progressed under Mcd--what does that say about the skill set of King Neckbeard?

ludo21
11-13-2009, 03:03 PM
We better smoke em by at least 10.

Their defense has a lot of talent, but our running game should be able to carry us. I think this is a perfect game to take a bunch of shots downfield and get Orton's confidence level up a bit.

Karenin
11-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Campbell is having a good season, but nobody knows about it.

no he isn't.

Hogan11
11-13-2009, 03:44 PM
bitter old man Ha!

Get off my lawn! :olddude: :rofl:

Tombstone RJ
11-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Bowl XXII

worst. SB. ever.

broncofan7
11-13-2009, 03:53 PM
worst. SB. ever.

worst SECOND QTR EVER..........

Tombstone RJ
11-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Timmy Smith still gives me nightmares.

broncofan7
11-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Timmy Smith still gives me nightmares.

Off topic but isn't he in jail now?

Bronco Yoda
11-13-2009, 05:02 PM

I agree. They're D is better than most people think. And we're not exactly lighting up the scoreboard these days.

Still.... we should win this one. No excuses.

Dedhed
11-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I like that we're playing a clearly inferior team after our first bout with adversity (during the season) under McDaniels. This is the exact type of game the Shanahan Broncos would blow, and I'm eager to see if we've really distanced ourselves from those Broncos.

snowspot66
11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Thankfully we're bringing our defense to the party and that should clamp down on any chance that Washington has of winning.

Kyle Orton needs to step his ass up and get going. We're a pass first team so the onus needs to be on him to step into a little bit of pressure and throw it to our playmakers, BMarsh and Royal.

The run game needs to get better too but Buck is average and I'm afraid to say it, so is Knowshon. It would be nice if they can give us a big game but they aren't usually of much impact without a passing game to open them up.

So we're calling Knowshon average after a rookie first half season of weak to average run blocking?

Karenin
11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
you'd think bpc would stop making predictions after he spent the last 4 months completely embarrassing himself, but there he goes again.

ZONA
11-13-2009, 08:49 PM
We have to go to WA and those East Coast game suck. Don't look for a blowout here. Look for Denver to win with defense and the offense will do enough.

Broncos 20
Redskins 9

DarkHorse
11-13-2009, 09:09 PM
This offense needs a high score showing against this dismal team.

Rausch 2.0
11-13-2009, 10:55 PM
The Redskins give the Raiders hope...

Sir_Robin
11-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Looks like...

jacob2125
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Right about now the Chiefs and Raiders are looking pretty scary.

Crushaholic
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
So, do we give this theory of Denver not being a very good football team a pass because of Orton being out? I recall our defense not being able to stop Betts, but that could be because Simms wasn't scaring anyone...

oubronco
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
So, do we give this theory of Denver not being a very good football team a pass because of Orton being out? I recall our defense not being able to stop Betts, but that could be because Simms wasn't scaring anyone...

Simms scaring someone has no relevence on the defense stopping a rb either you get it done or you don't and they didn't

cmhargrove
11-16-2009, 01:18 PM

1. I feel comfortable with saying we could have won by 10 with Orton in there (the way we were playing).
2. Even if Orton was in there, the winds are just changing. The D has lost much of its swagger, people are missing assignments, and you could just see the team wasn't fighting quite as hard as the first 6 games. I was pretty pissed at Alphonso Smith for missing the fake field goal - especially since he had a timeout to think about his deep coverage assignments and Marcus Thomas had enough football smarts to almost make the play.

It will take some real leadership to get this team back on track. If we lose to SD, I fear our playoff hopes are pretty slim. The Bengals have all but wrapped up their division, we have losses to the Steelers and Ravens, and there are a few other teams like the Jets, Dolphins, and Texans are within a couple games.

Lose to SD at home and we will be hoping for miracles the rest of the way.

SJ Bronco
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
In the original posters defense, betts played, and played well enough to be the difference...