PDA

View Full Version : What Type of HC will Shannahan be upon his return to the NFL?

rastaman
11-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Since Shanny's firing from Denver, there hasn't been any indications from Mike that the only way he returns to the NFL is if he's given full control of GM and VP football operations.

I'd say that Shanahan is taking a year off to reflect on his 14 year tenure in Denver and go over what worked and what did not work. Nothing makes you reflect more in life when something you love doing is suddenly taken from you. So who's to say once Mike returns in 10 or 11 that he has a complete new perspective of coaching again.

Perhaps the next stop for Shanny he will want to concentrate mainly on Offense, agree to allow DC to do his job, and as well as trust the GM. All HC's must evolve with change. The trend now is not for HC's to have full control over GM/VP operations and final say. The trend now in the NFL with HC's is trust, buy in, and compromise all for the sake of winning. Egos will need to be left at the door.

Should Shanny go to a team that already has a 3-4 Defense identity established and a DC that knows how to execute the schemes in the 3-4, thats one less hassle Shanny needs to deal with. After all, Mikes not a master mind of defenses, the offense is his expertise.

Now Shanny may want/ask/receive final word and decision with player personnel on the offensive side of the ball, but I think Shanny relinquishes control on the Defensive side of the ball both in terms of scheme and for the most part the players drafted. When it comes to FA Shanny if he's smart will want to share/compromise with the GM how the FA are ultimately signed.

Simply put, HC's in todays NFL having full control of football GM/player responsibility and operations are in the past.

hookemhess
11-13-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm more interested in your take on Jay's magnificent performance last night, Rasta.. and how trading him out of Denver set our franchise back for years.

Garcia Bronco
11-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Mike will stay retired for at least another season.

oubronco
11-13-2009, 07:52 AM
He'll be a winner wherever he ends up he's won everywhere else he's been what would give you any indication he wouldn't now.........other than Slowick

rastaman
11-13-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm more interested in your take on Jay's magnificent performance last night, Rasta.. and how trading him out of Denver set our franchise back for years.

Sure Hooke.....Jay played like crap no arguement here. As far as the future implications of McDaniels covertly trading Cutler out of Denver its to early to tell. Its going to take 5 years to finally judge the outcome.

gtown
11-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Why would a tiger change his stripes. Mike will come back, put together a great offense, and be totally clueless on defense. And there is no way he is gonna be an OC, where he belongs.

Tombstone RJ
11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Since Shanny's firing from Denver, there hasn't been any indications from Mike that the only way he returns to the NFL is if he's given full control of GM and VP football operations.

I'd say that Shanahan is taking a year off to reflect on his 14 year tenure in Denver and go over what worked and what did not work. Nothing makes you reflect more in life when something you love doing is suddenly taken from you. So who's to say once Mike returns in 10 or 11 that he has a complete new perspective of coaching again.

Perhaps the next stop for Shanny he will want to concentrate mainly on Offense, agree to allow DC to do his job, and as well as trust the GM. All HC's must evolve with change. The trend now is not for HC's to have full control over GM/VP operations and final say. The trend now in the NFL with HC's is trust, buy in, and compromise all for the sake of winning. Egos will need to be left at the door.

Should Shanny go to a team that already has a 3-4 Defense identity established and a DC that knows how to execute the schemes in the 3-4, thats one less hassle Shanny needs to deal with. After all, Mikes not a master mind of defenses, the offense is his expertise.

Now Shanny may want/ask/receive final word and decision with player personnel on the offensive side of the ball, but I think Shanny relinquishes control on the Defensive side of the ball both in terms of scheme and for the most part the players drafted. When it comes to FA Shanny if he's smart will want to share/compromise with the GM how the FA are ultimately signed.

Simply put, HC's in todays NFL having full control of football GM/player responsibility and operations are in the past.

I think Josh McDaniels and Pat Bowlen might disagree with you on your last sentence, but that's just me, go figure...:thumbs:

Popps
11-13-2009, 08:13 AM
http://www.csc-media.com/Signs/Attention/attention%20whore%202.jpg

Popps
11-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey guys,

Also... in case anyone missed it, Rasta really enjoys Jay Cutler and Mike Shanahan, and detests our current team and players.

Just making sure you guys were 100% clear on that.

Bronco Yoda
11-13-2009, 08:16 AM
A wise mentor years ago once told me once in jest that most people are eventually promoted to the level of their incompetency. I never forgot that. Something to think about when you wonder why people do what they do..

It would be wise for Mike to come back as a Head Coach. Forget about controlling the universe and just concentrate more on what he does best... the Offense.

rastaman
11-13-2009, 08:19 AM
http://www.csc-media.com/Signs/Attention/attention%20whore%202.jpg

Gee Poppy Fields.....I see the down turn in the economy has really hit you pretty hard! Not only can't you afford your medication you can't afford clothing anymore as well.LOL

rastaman
11-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey guys,

Also... in case anyone missed it, Rasta really enjoys Jay Cutler and Mike Shanahan, and detests our current team and players.

Just making sure you guys were 100% clear on that.

Whats wrong Mr. Brown Shirt still depending upon "Group Think" to justify your stupidity. You are truly the reigning frail insecure little man on the OM. You get the most mileage out of hate than anyone on the Mane.

backup qb
11-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Why would a tiger change his stripes. Mike will come back, put together a great offense, and be totally clueless on defense. And there is no way he is gonna be an OC, where he belongs.

First of all, he has had good defenses during several seasons. I hope he is successful as all hell. I will always appreciate and respect what he did for the broncos. I can't imagine how any true fan could feel differently.

ColoradoDarin
11-13-2009, 08:30 AM
A wise mentor years ago once told me once in jest that most people are eventually promoted to the level of their incompetency. I never forgot that. Something to think about when you wonder why people do what they do..

It would be wise for Mike to come back as a Head Coach. Forget about controlling the universe and just concentrate more on what he does best... the Offense.

It's called The Peter Principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle).

rastaman
11-13-2009, 08:42 AM
First of all, he has had good defenses during several seasons. I hope he is successful as all hell. I will always appreciate and respect what he did for the broncos. I can't imagine how any true fan could feel differently.

Rep! Many of these instant win now gratification fans fail to realize the significance of Shanahan winning two consecutive SB's while in Denver. Especially after the Broncos franchise and its fans had endured and suffered thru 4 SB loses previously. Many of these weren't even born or old enough to understand the significance of losing 4 SB's.....so go figure.

In fact Shanny having won 2 consecutive SB's has created the Ravenous--What Have You Done For Me Lately fan base we see today.

Yep Shanny created a monster by winning 2 SB's and he tried to keep the Ravenous Appetite of these fans fed.....and found out that it was impossible. Oh well McDaniel's is living in Shanny's shadow until he can deliver a couple of SB appearances and victories as well.

Popps
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Are you guys paying attention to Rasta yet?

He needs attention.

C'mon.

Beantown Bronco
11-13-2009, 08:56 AM
He'll be a winner wherever he ends up he's won everywhere else he's been

Wait.......what? Last time I checked, he's only been a head coach in two places and he had a losing record in one of them.

bpc
11-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Mike's gonna be great where ever he goes. He'll put his system in place. While not smashmouth, it's more than effective and almost always guaranteed to be a top 10 unit, especially in rushing. He'll make an average line a very good one, and the QB's are usually the beneficiary because they'll have a great play action passing game to work off of.

As for the defense, the fact that GTown says Mike's garbage with this is a joke. Many years Mike's teams have featured top 10 ranked units and normally they've been great against the run. My only hope is he doesn't bring Slowik with him, at least not as DC.

As for the GM part of the equation... I have a feeling that as long as Shanahan is in the front office with somebody who will listen to him on what he needs to succeed, he'll be fine. He's been there, done that, if you will and I don't think he needs to the recognition of being a GM and a HC.

I think he'll go to Chicago.

rastaman
11-13-2009, 09:03 AM

He needs attention.

C'mon.

Hey Poppy fields.....is it time for your heroin shot yet?

oubronco
11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Wait.......what? Last time I checked, he's only been a head coach in two places and he had a losing record in one of them.

I didn't say Head coach persay

jhns
11-13-2009, 09:05 AM

He needs attention.

C'mon.

You are giving him attention and you are the biggest attention whore of them all. You do this all day every day. Your life must suck because you always seem all pissy from what random people say on the internet. What a sad old man.

As for Shanny, he will get offered jobs with more than normal power. I doubt he is just the head coach. Also, we had some good defenses here when we had good coordinators. He also went out and talked to some good defensive teams this offseason. If he finds the right DC, he will be very good. If he doesn't get a good coordinator, he will probably be the same as he was here the last few years. His success is all going to depend on who is running the D. I doubt anyone will ever question his ability to make a productive offense.

rastaman
11-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Mike's gonna be great where ever he goes. He'll put his system in place. While not smashmouth, it's more than effective and almost always guaranteed to be a top 10 unit, especially in rushing. He'll make an average line a very good one, and the QB's are usually the beneficiary because they'll have a great play action passing game to work off of.

As for the defense, the fact that GTown says Mike's garbage with this is a joke. Many years Mike's teams have featured top 10 ranked units and normally they've been great against the run. My only hope is he doesn't bring Slowik with him, at least not as DC.

As for the GM part of the equation... I have a feeling that as long as Shanahan is in the front office with somebody who will listen to him on what he needs to succeed, he'll be fine. He's been there, done that, if you will and I don't think he needs to the recognition of being a GM and a HC.

I hope he goes to Chicago as well. Shanny and Jay will need each other just like Elway and Shanny needed each other.

Shanahan new over the last 3 years he didn't get the job done in Denver and he even admitted to it at his press conference firing. No big deal. He's already moved on. I like the fact he and Bowlen are still friends and they both appreciate each other. What more can you ask for.

Pony Boy
11-13-2009, 09:13 AM
If Shanahan can control his ego and mastermind the offense only and hire a quality defensive coach and a GM to handle the draft, he will be a success.... I hope it's with an NFC team.

Ray Finkle
11-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I think Shanahan will do well. Saying is he is going to be great is asinine. You don't know were he will end up and what Shanny will show up, the Mastermind or Egomind....

I think he peaked as a coach though.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 12:01 PM

He needs attention.

C'mon.

Mirror, Popps.

Popps, mirror.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Agree all the way down.

I think it'll be Chicago, he will have learned from his mistakes, and they'll do well. I dunno how well, but they will do well.

bombay
11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
No way in hell Shanahan goes to the massive rebuild in Chicago with the coach killer.

bpc
11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
No way in hell Shanahan goes to the massive rebuild in Chicago with the coach killer.

Denver was a massive rebuild in 95'. All Shanny wants is talent at QB. If he has that, he can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Cutler has regressed this season after the pro bowl season he had last year. Still, if anybody knows how to take his game to the next level, it will be Mike.

He'll also have a young group of WR's, a playmaker in Hester, a great potential possession TE in Olsen and one of the top young HB's in the game, Matt Forte.

The defense should get healthier next season and be ready to complete. Arguably, the most help will be needed on this side of the ball and the OL.

Chicago's situation is similar to Denver's when Mike took over in 95' and could easily get this job done.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 12:21 PM
The Bears are not a massive rebuild, no way.

Redskins are a massive rebuild. Lions are a massive rebuild. Raiders, Browns, Jags, Titans are massive rebuilds.

bpc
11-13-2009, 12:26 PM

Redskins are a massive rebuild. Lions are a massive rebuild. Raiders, Browns, Jags, Titans are massive rebuilds.

I don't disagree with you but the Bears are aging or wearing down on defense and the OL is in shambles. Kreutz (hometown UW boy for ya) was the glue that made that engine go but he's been slowing down as of late. The corners of the OL are horrible. Pace needs to retire and Williams needs a better system to fit his style of play. Good news is, I think he'll be perfect in a Shanny style ZBS offense.

Bears have a lot of work to do but it's clear that Shanny has done it in the past, and Lovie isn't that great of a HC.

The wildcard is Slowik. If i'm Angelo, i'm telling Mike no if he wants to bring Slowik in as his DC.

OBF1
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Last I checked little shanny was no longer associated with my Denver Broncos. Personally I could care less when/If he ever returns to football. He set the Broncos back a few years with all the crappy moves he made both player and coach wise.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Last I checked little shanny was no longer associated with my Denver Broncos. Personally I could care less when/If he ever returns to football.
Agreed, moreso about Cutler though ... half the threads here are about Cutler. That's is pretty disturbing.

He set the Broncos back a few years with all the crappy moves he made both player and coach wise.
Disagree. He and Goodman left the cupboards full.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Bears can sign Hamilton, that might help.

Ray Finkle
11-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Denver was a massive rebuild in 95'. All Shanny wants is talent at QB. If he has that, he can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Cutler has regressed this season after the pro bowl season he had last year. Still, if anybody knows how to take his game to the next level, it will be Mike.

He'll also have a young group of WR's, a playmaker in Hester, a great potential possession TE in Olsen and one of the top young HB's in the game, Matt Forte.

The defense should get healthier next season and be ready to complete. Arguably, the most help will be needed on this side of the ball and the OL.

Chicago's situation is similar to Denver's when Mike took over in 95' and could easily get this job done.

Huh?
Denver had Zimmeran, Nalen, Sharpe, Atwater, Elway, and a good foundation.

Chicago has Cutler, Olsen, maybe Forte and a load of poo....

azbroncfan
11-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Who cares rasta? Noone knows what Shanny will do or be for the matter of fact. What is your excuse for your boy last night?

rastaman
11-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Who cares rasta? Noone knows what Shanny will do or be for the matter of fact. What is your excuse for your boy last night?

You obviously have a an interest or you would not have responded to the thread. No exucuses for Cutler, just like there won't be any excuses for Orton.

What do you want to know next?:~ohyah!:

bpc
11-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Huh?
Denver had Zimmeran, Nalen, Sharpe, Atwater, Elway, and a good foundation.

Chicago has Cutler, Olsen, maybe Forte and a load of poo....

We don't know what type of player Chris Williams, Hester, Bennet, or Knox will be. I agree, the OL needs to be revamped in a major way. Definitely no Zimm on the roster at this point.

The Bears defense has more players than the Broncos defense did when Shanny took over. Urlacher is probably a pro bowler if he doesn't get hurt this year. Briggs probably will be a pro bowler. Ogunelyea, Harris, among others are solid defensive linemen to build off of.

Ray Finkle
11-13-2009, 03:57 PM
We don't know what type of player Chris Williams, Hester, Bennet, or Knox will be. I agree, the OL needs to be revamped in a major way. Definitely no Zimm on the roster at this point.

The Bears defense has more players than the Broncos defense did when Shanny took over. Urlacher is probably a pro bowler if he doesn't get hurt this year. Briggs probably will be a pro bowler. Ogunelyea, Harris, among others are solid defensive linemen to build off of.

Chris Williams is a joke....Hester runs poor routes (same as Bennet) and Knox hasn't done anything since the league caught onto him.

Urlacher is past his prime and can't stay heathly, Ogunelyea is gone after this year, Harris is a wreck....

not trying to piss on your post but the Bears are closer to the Lions then they are to the Vikings....

Hogan11
11-13-2009, 04:18 PM
I expect Shanny to be about as successful as Joe Gibbs was when he came out of retirement. IOW Mediocre

Broncomutt
11-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I expect Shanny to be about as successful as Joe Gibbs was when he came out of retirement. IOW Mediocre

QFT.

Gibbs had the sense to step away. He knows the NFL has evolved beyond his days. Even Parcells has gone to a backseat role.

I think the fact that Shanny was fired, and never saw it coming, was very sobering to him.

Bronco Yoda
11-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Shanny to the Bears with Quitler AGAIN? He already got him fired once.... think he'll want a second stab at that one?

El Minion
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM

I could see Mike Holmgren returning to run the Brown FO and hire/lure Mike Shanahan.

The stalking horse would be Snyder and his throwing money at the problem as a (failed)solution. If Shanahan takes that position then I think he's pulling a Jimmy Johnson, just taking the money like JJ did at Miami. Read an article couple years after JJ ouster by a sportswriter that he had his suspicions of JJ seriousness when he meet with JJ during the season at Miami HQ and was more interested in discussing his stock portfolio gains for the year than the state of Dolphin football.

Lions no since Schwartz will be given at least 3 years. Raiders never, you can't go home again unless your name is Art Shell. Titans no because Fisher is a friend. Jags no because Weaver can't afford him (unless Bowlen pays the difference to his old Bronco salary if Weaver can't match or exceed it, not sure if that's the case though)