PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Give Chris Simms the start at QB vs. Redskins

scorpio
11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
:rofl:

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

All we are saying is give Simms a chance.

To give themselves a jump-start, the Broncos should give Chris Simms the start against Washington on Sunday.

The last time we saw Simms, in the first two exhibitions, he was completing 16-of-24 passes for 186 yards and two touchdowns, without an interception, and looking sharp, more like a starter than the other quarterback. Then Simms sprained an ankle and hasn't played since.

Change would be good for the Broncos' soul-searching.

Kyle Orton hasn't performed awfully (except for the three interceptions Monday night). Yes, the Broncos still have won six games — but he is what he is — the 18th-best quarterback in the NFL. And the Broncos are a reflection of that number. They are 22nd in scoring (18.8 points per game), just ahead of the Titans, and behind, ahem, the Bears. They are 19th overall in offense, 17th in passing, 18th in rushing.

The Broncos are third overall in defense. Add the 18 and the 3 to get 21, divide by two for 10.5, and that's about where the Broncos realistically rank in the NFL after back-to-back defeats to Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

The Broncos were off to an unbelievable start this season but haven't gotten off to a distinctive start in any game. The field goal at the end of the first drive Monday accounted for their only opening-drive points of the season.

Josh McDaniels was intent on improving the Broncos' missing-link production of a season ago inside the 20-yard line. He has, but the problem is, they aren't making enough visits. The Broncos were in the ruby region zero times against the Steelers and the Bengals and once in the Ravens game. The offense scored three, 12 and seven points in those games.

It has been suggested, wisely, by my columnist colleagues at Postmortem that the Broncos start Correll Buckhalter at running back, which they did against Pittsburgh, and open up the offense, which they didn't do. It doesn't matter who starts at running back, and McDaniels can't unleash the offense with Orton.

McDaniels showed me his "War and Peace"-sized offensive playbook before the season, but he's able to use only a section that's about the size of the pamphlet "Popular Lawyers And Journalists."

He has to try Simms, and what's a more appropriate occasion than after two losses and in a game against the most politically incorrect and football-inept team in America? Washington: First in war, first in peace, last (again) in the NFC East.

When I suggested this move to a rather large cheese at The Post, he said: "Simms hasn't played since early in the 2006 season."

Orton only played three games in 2006-07 after being benched, following 15 starts in 2005, before the Bears went on to the Super Bowl. Simms has started 15 NFL games.

"Simms' spleen was ruptured. What if he gets hurt again?"

Simms can't hurt his spleen again. It was removed.

"The Bucs got rid of Simms."

The Bears got rid of Orton.

"What did Simms ever do when he was a starter?"

He started a postseason game, which is more than Orton has done.

"Yeah, but . . ."

Yeah, but Simms has a stronger arm. Orton's lack of arm strength was revealed twice against Pittsburgh when he tried to make throws off his back foot and couldn't get the ball to open receivers. And, Simms can scramble better than Orton, who can't get outside the rush, can't run the quarterback draw and can't throw back across his body.

"Simms is left-handed."

So were Steve Young, Ken Stabler and Boomer Esiason, who took their teams to Super Bowls.

And Simms looked stronger in training camp than Orton, and better in the exhibition games (until he got hurt), and McDaniels thought so much of Simms he gave him more money to sign here than Orton makes.

McDaniels told me he doesn't care to switch quarterbacks in midgame or midseason, but, then, he had Tom Brady as his quarterback at New England, and who's going to remove him? Last year the Patriots' quarterback was Matt Cassel, and there was no backup. (Name him for 10 points.)

Let's see what Simms has. The Broncos gave a chance to another quarterback whose father had won a Super Bowl. And Brian Griese, the Broncos' radio analyst last Sunday, has played with both Orton and Simms, and knows that Simms got a raw deal at Tampa Bay, and would be the starting quarterback for the Bucs now if they kept him.

Simms can't play any more awfully than Orton on the first drive and in the first quarter at D.C. And if he's terrible, McDaniels can return to Orton at halftime.

There's only one problem with this sensible solution: McDaniels, who traded a quarterback, won't have the inner workings to do it.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13759252

scorpio
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM
To give themselves a jump-start, the Broncos should give Chris Simms the start against Washington on Sunday.

Let's see what Simms has. The Broncos gave a chance to another quarterback whose father had won a Super Bowl.

http://imgur.com/q45ZQ.gif

Mr.Meanie
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM
I stopped at "By Woody Paige"

go_broncos
11-12-2009, 07:57 AM
this is idiotic..why you want to give Simms a chance when you have Tom as your QB

TonyR
11-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Buff, tell the truth. Did you ghost write this article?

Rohirrim
11-12-2009, 08:09 AM
What you mean "we" paleface?"

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Why is this Silly?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

-22nd in the NFL in scoring
-18th in 3rd down conversion % (we were THIRD last yr)
-19th in total yards/game

Orton is THE rate limiting factor in formulating a potent offense.......Simms deserves a chance--but I predict that once we lose to WAS this weekend, Orton will get a chance to save face and beat SD--and when we lose that one--Simms will be given the Turkey day start against the NYG.........

outdoor_miner
11-12-2009, 08:17 AM
:cuss:

Gee - just what I was hoping for. The media generating a "quarterback controversy".

So, the entire offense has 2 bad games against 2 of the best defenses in the league, and we should switch quarterbacks? I'm sure Chris Simms would have eaten the Steelers alive...

scorpio
11-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Why is this Silly?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Orton is THE rate limiting factor in formulating a potent offense.......Simms deserves a chance--but I predict that once we lose to WAS this weekend, Orton will get a chance to save face and beat SD--and when we lose that one--Simms will be given the Turkey day start against the NYG.........

Cue the clown music

chex
11-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Why not? It worked out well in 2006.

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 08:21 AM

Gee - just what I was hoping for. The media generating a "quarterback controversy".

So, the entire offense has 2 bad games against 2 of the best defenses in the league, and we should switch quarterbacks? I'm sure Chris Simms would have eaten the Steelers alive...

Two bad games? We were south of 20pts/gm for the season--our offensive ineptitude is only magnified by two great defenses who held us to 7 & 3 points--and quite honestly--the ravens have NOT been playing great defense this year--then they played us--we made them LOOK great. Orton is a bottom tier starter, ideal backup QB--Is Simms better? Maybe, maybe not--but we do know that Simms has the better arm.

outdoor_miner
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Cue the clown music

All we need now is Josina "tweeting" some insider bull**** about how Marcus Thomas is mad at McDaniels cuz he made him do 10 pushups in practice, and now the team is at the edge of a revolt... Then, the circle back to preseason will be truly complete!

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Cue the clown music

To someone of your 'intelligence'--facts probably do seem as worthy to you as they would be to a clown....go pick another .gif of one of your intellectual equals.......

SonOfLe-loLang
11-12-2009, 08:26 AM
This really is one of the dumber articles ive read in a while

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Didn't Cassel get BETTER as last season progressed? Wasn't that the argument during the pre-season?

scorpio
11-12-2009, 08:32 AM
To someone of your 'intelligence'--facts probably do seem as worthy to you as they would be to a clown....go pick another .gif of one of your intellectual equals.......

No big letters or bold text? You're slipping, old man.

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 08:34 AM
No big letters or bold text? You're slipping, old man.

Next time I come through that Burger King drive thru and tell you no salt on my fries--I MEAN NO SALT. And you'd better get my change correct too dolt.

SportinOne
11-12-2009, 08:36 AM
for a while, i bought into the theory that we could win any game we played. now, i think it's true that we can win any game, provided that the other team doesn't have a great pass rush. Unless I am unaware of a great QB becoming a free agent next offseason, we are drafting QB and we are drafting high.

Killericon
11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8947/kimleaving.gif (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/kimleaving.gif/)

scorpio
11-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Next time I come through that Burger King drive thru and tell you no salt on my fries--I MEAN NO SALT. And you'd better get my change correct too dolt.

Sorry bro, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings with the "old man" comment. It'll sting less as time goes on.

Rigs11
11-12-2009, 08:42 AM
i'm an Orton homer. i say give him 2 more games. If he stinks it up then make the switch.that damn line needs to give hime some time though.

bpc
11-12-2009, 08:43 AM
This is silly. Orton deserves the chance to get right.

Lose to Washington though or have the offense continue with such pathetic performances and then we have to look at the potential of Simms starting.

I'm not a huge fan of Simms but he has twice the arm of Orton.

Bronco Rob
11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Wow.......just...wow...

;)

bowtown
11-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Simms can't play any more awfully than Orton on the first drive and in the first quarter at D.C. And if he's terrible, McDaniels can return to Orton at halftime.

This is my favorite line. Wow Woody, how did you never become a head coach? This is genius. Clearly this method works out great. Look at the elite franchise Magini has put together in Cleveland by swapping out QBs every week, and now you've one-upped him. Put in Simms for the first half and see how he does. Give him a little taste. If he sucks, what did you lose... I mean besides the confidence of both your QBs, your coaches and your vets? Great plan! Better yet, let's give Simms a single snap and see how he performs. If he throws it incomplete, we pull him. If he completes it he can stay in for another snap, and we just keep goign like that for the rest of the season! Broncofad7 is on board, full steam ahead!

gtown
11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Jesus! We just played two good defenses. One team is the defending SB Champ, and the other lost the AFC title game last year to the eventual SB Champ. Of course there were going to be struggles.

But I understand that Woody needs to sell newspapers.

bowtown
11-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Also, I don't think Orton has visited DWills grave yet. If Simms was the starter, I bet he would have. Orton is selfish.

In case it hasn't become apparent, I hate Woody Paige....

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Jesus! We just played two good defenses. One team is the defending SB Champ, and the other lost the AFC title game last year to the eventual SB Champ. Of course there were going to be struggles.

What is our season scoring high--35 against SD(-14 for Royals contributions)? We have struggled to score all season--ranking in the bottom half of the league the entire year..
-we have more than 20pt/gm talent at every position with the HUGE exception of QB...........

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Also, I don't think Orton has visited DWills grave yet. If Simms was the starter, I bet he would have. Orton is selfish.

In case it hasn't become apparent, I hate Woody Paige....

3 points ....at HOME...on national TV...scored on the first drive, never again ...3 points.

peacepipe
11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
If a change is to be made it will be done after the Giants game, it will be the closest thing to another bye-week & will give simms or perferrably Brandstater more time to prepare.

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I'll take a Kyle Shanahan BFF tattoo over this anyday of the week......

Hercules Rockefeller
11-12-2009, 09:13 AM

It hasn't just been the past 2 games, the offense averages less than 7 points in the 1st half. That's ****ing terrible, especially with what the defense has accomplished. Pitt had less than 60 yds of total offense at the end of the 1st half last week, sustained 0 drives, and the Broncos were still losing.

I think Orton gets a half, if they still can't move the ball again, then Simms needs to get serious consideration.

Taco John
11-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Haha! Yeah right. I'm sure that's exactly what Kyle has in mind for this week.

broncofan7
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Haha! Yeah right. I'm sure that's exactly what Kyle has in mind for this week.

You're right--he'll probably be a bit distracted by all of the GAY bars in DC this week

MplsBronco
11-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I've been of the opinion to give Orton a chance and he has looked good at times, like SD game and the first drive of the Pitt game. But this O has been anemic all season and I don't see much improvement so I seriously am wondering if Simms is an option. At 6-2, they have a great opportunity to win the division and it would be hard to let that slip away. That said, 6-2 teams never make QB changes. It seems to me Orton is playing scared and holds onto the ball too long. Then there is the run game and oline looking like crap lately so I don't know what to think!

ColoradoDarin
11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
We are all now dumber for having read that.

ColoradoDarin
11-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Can Simms play LG?

elsid13
11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Orton is the starter the rest of the season, McDaniels wanted him and all that matters. Come this off season, it whole different matter.

colonelbeef
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
It's not a ridiculous notion, but Orton deserves a chance to get it right.

SJ Bronco
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
As big a critic as I am about Cowboy Kyle, I think part of the thing with Boy wonder is that he grooms the QB to play in the offense. He's bringing kyle along at a pace he can deal with and I think he will open it up a little against Washington's poor D to get kyle some long range practice. You can see McD letting go of the lease a little more each game and upping the attempts. (an inept running game has helped) He didn't trust CK to throw it more than a few yards against the decent D's, but expect to see some deep timing patterns al la Brady this week, and giving Kyle a little work when he can't lose us the game. Mcdaniels is about ball control and giving our D a chance. Cashing in on T.O. and when this fails, we are exposed. Redskins can't do this to us like Blitzburg and Ravens. Expect to see the offense open up a tiny bit. If not, i think it might be time to make a switch cause if not this week, when?

Popps
11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Why not? It worked out well in 2006.

Hilarious!

outdoor_miner
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Orton is the starter the rest of the season, McDaniels wanted him and all that matters. Come this off season, it whole different matter.

I agree with this. Barring a complete and total meltdown, there is no way that Orton is replaced mid-season. I can't believe people are even giving credence to the thought. I know the offense has been mediocre most of the year, but Orton was not turning the ball over (until this last game), and he played great against Dallas, New England, and San Diego. I can't believe how quickly people forget those games. I think the lack of interceptions is huge for McDaniels when he has such a good defense. McD preaches "complimentary football", and Orton has been doing just that by not putting the defense in bad positions (again, except for last game).

In the offseason, though... I think McDaniels will do whatever it takes to make the team better. If he can find an upgrade, he will. If the offense plays below average in the second half of the season, and Orton is the problem, McD will look to solve the problem.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-12-2009, 11:15 AM
You're right--he'll probably be a bit distracted by all of the GAY bars in DC this week

Christ you're retarded. Just wait until someone posts that picture of you getting filled out like an application by that tranny.

Classic closet case.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Simms career numbers, if you're curious:

292/494 passing, 3094 yards, 59% comp pct, 12 touchdowns, 17 interceptions. Oh, and 44 sacks. And a QB rating of 71.2.

how is that an improvement on Orton again?

gtown
11-12-2009, 11:17 AM
It hasn't just been the past 2 games, the offense averages less than 7 points in the 1st half. That's ****ing terrible, especially with what the defense has accomplished. Pitt had less than 60 yds of total offense at the end of the 1st half last week, sustained 0 drives, and the Broncos were still losing.

I think Orton gets a half, if they still can't move the ball again, then Simms needs to get serious consideration.

I don't think of McD as a prideful coach. If he realizes someone is not playing well, he has no qualms about pulling them. This is evidenced by the benching of Hamilton, the longest tenured Bronco. There are no sacred cows it seems, including Orton.

With that being said, if Simms was better than Orton, he would be in there. But Simm's play, outside of various preseasons with various teams, has been pretty disappointing. Sure, he has a good arm, but he lacks accuracy and decision making skills (read INTs). Orton at least protects the ball (vice the Pitt game) and errs on the side of caution, which puts the D in a good position.

Que
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Um, no. thx. GFY. TTFN

Ambiguous
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Every now and then Paige writes something so stupid that I just want to throw myself in front of a train. This is one of those days.

Orton has had two bad games, and there were definitely questions on the OL which were addressed this week. We're making the changes. I'm fine with having this debate in the offseason, but Christ we're not going anywhere switching to Simms.

Thank god you're not a coach, Woody.

Que
11-12-2009, 11:50 AM

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=25523&stc=1&d=1258046462

Now, I'm just saying but isn't the homoerotic dude on the right in the white shirt the same guy as "queer guy" down below? Ya, I know "queer guy" is Greg Olsen. Was the Orton giving a hummer pic from last year with the Bears?

http://thesebootsaremadeforstalking.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/jay_cutler_boozing_and_boinking-300x289.jpg

BTW: have nothing against homosexuality. I just like making fun of dorky looking NFL QB's.

BroncoBuff
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Buff, tell the truth. Did you ghost write this article?

No, it's a dumb idea. The very definition of a panic move.

watermock
11-12-2009, 12:54 PM
All I know is King Baldbeard better show up with some stink on him or we're doomed.

rastaman
11-12-2009, 12:55 PM
This is my favorite line. Wow Woody, how did you never become a head coach? This is genius. Clearly this method works out great. Look at the elite franchise Magini has put together in Cleveland by swapping out QBs every week, and now you've one-upped him. Put in Simms for the first half and see how he does. Give him a little taste. If he sucks, what did you lose... I mean besides the confidence of both your QBs, your coaches and your vets? Great plan! Better yet, let's give Simms a single snap and see how he performs. If he throws it incomplete, we pull him. If he completes it he can stay in for another snap, and we just keep goign like that for the rest of the season! Broncofad7 is on board, full steam ahead!

I say give Orton 3 games to see if he can move the offense. If he fails to do so.......make a change to Simms.

watermock
11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I think his wife cut him off with all the King stuff.

He shows up for the plane w/stink=win!

rastaman
11-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Can Simms play LG?

Can Orton play RB?:~ohyah!:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Why would it be Simms, anyway? If we suddenly go in the tank with Orton, why wouldn't you put Brandstater in and see what we've got in him?

We know what Simms is, and it ain't much. I'd rather see Brandstater get the start and see if we need to be thinking first round QB this draft.

Beantown Bronco
11-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Why would it be Simms, anyway? If we suddenly go in the tank with Orton, why wouldn't you put Brandstater in and see what we've got in him?

Wiseass answer time: Cause Simms is the #2 and Brandstater is the #3.

BroncoBuff
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM
We're in 1st place still ... you don't turn the reins over to a rook, you just don't do it.

But something might have to be done ... running game is non-existent and I can't remember any game we failed to get into the red zone even once. Especially at home.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
We're in 1st place still ... you don't turn the reins over to a rook, you just don't do it.

But something might have to be done ... running game is non-existent and I can't remember any game we failed to get into the red zone even once. Especially at home.

Which is why I disclaimed my statement: "if we go into the tank."

You don't turn over the reigns when you're 6-2 and in control of the division. You just don't do it.

theAPAOps5
11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Does Woody post here because he is talking some serious crazy ****. 6-2 in first place. The team would be laughed at. Its a good start replacing Hamilton lets see if it works.

Mr.Meanie
11-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Which is why I disclaimed my statement: "if we go into the tank."

You don't turn over the reigns when you're 7-4 and in control of the division. You just don't do it, unless you're Mike Shanahan.

I went ahead and fixed that for you

NYBronco
11-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Why is this Silly?

The benching of Hamilton may have something to do with Orton and the running game problems of late. Not to mention the defending SB Champions.

SJ Bronco
11-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Can Orton play RB?:~ohyah!:

Almost every time he dropped back on Monday he did...

NYBronco
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
We could still have Cutler. He just threw his second int vs the 49ers... the francheese.

The MVPlaya
11-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Woody... you're a ****in idiot.

SJ Bronco
11-15-2009, 01:04 PM
bump

Cleo McDowell
11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
woody FTW!!

wait.. what's his email address again?

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Woody is a stupid gutless drunk.

Simms fail.
3/13, 13 yards, 1 int.

azbroncfan
11-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Woody is silent on the issue I notice. Big surprise.

HEAV
11-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Really who in there right mind expects Woody Paige to have a meaniful sports take. Woody has been reduce to the class clown on TV and in his writting.

Ambiguous
11-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Really who in there right mind expects Woody Paige to have a meaniful sports take. Woody has been reduce to the class clown on TV and in his writting.

Holy crap. Irony > you.

Ambiguous
11-16-2009, 09:40 PM
And yes I realize that was a typo, but it was still funny. And Paige is a ****ing moron. It's one thing to go on a message board and scream about how simms should get a chance, but absolutely retarded to say that as a member of the media.

I almost think mcd put him in there to show how idiotic he really is.

Blart
11-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Woody Paige!

The voice of Denver sports.

OBF1
11-17-2009, 02:08 AM
I could not help myself... I had to send him a congratulatory email quoting his brilliance.

What an ass much he has become.... Time has passed the old man by.

ol number 7
11-17-2009, 05:16 AM
I could not help myself... I had to send him a congratulatory email quoting his brilliance.

What an ass much he has become.... Time has passed the old man by.

With Woody's wisdom we could become the Raiders of the Rockies.
Whata Goof.

errand
11-17-2009, 05:50 AM

It reminds me of when Tom Landry trying to figure out his own QB controversy between Morton and Staubach alternated them between series, (or was it plays?) vs the Cardinals. Cardinals won 38-0

We also lost our last game where we did almost the same thing with Shawn moore and Tommy Maddox...we lost 31-27 to the Cowboys.