RB DEN
WR DEN
OL DEN
DL WASH
LB WASH
DB DEN
ST DEN
Coach DEN

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Broncos-Redskins matchup.

1. Beware of Albert Haynesworth: Haynesworth is playing very well and can be unblockable at times. He has a tremendous size and strength advantage over the interior of the Broncos' offensive line and is capable of disrupting everything that Denver is looking to do on offense. He's that good. Because of the Redskins' woes, many tend to forget just how disruptive Haynesworth can be.

2. Don't allow fatigue to enter the equation: Denver is coming off back-to-back tough games against possibly the most physical teams in the NFL, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Not only that, but the Broncos are also operating on a short week after playing Monday night and have a cross-country road trip to Washington this week. That is a lot to ask of any team.

3. Hit Jason Campbell: Campbell was sacked five times in Week 9. The Redskins had a tough time with the Falcons' interior pressure in Week 9, but the real advantage Denver has in this particular area is Elvis Dumervil against either of the Redskins' feeble offensive tackles. With an exceptional defensive backfield, surely the Broncos will dial up plenty of interior pressures.

4. Protect Kyle Orton: Brian Orakpo is a player who could wreak havoc as an early-down blitzer from his outside linebacker position. On throwing downs, Orakpo will put his hand on the ground, and the combination of this dynamic rookie and Andre Carter is a lot for any pass-protection scheme to handle off the edges. Orakpo had two sacks last week. Kyle Orton isn't very mobile either.

5. Matchup to watch: Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno vs. Redskins MLB London Fletcher: Running the ball on the Redskins is not an easy chore, but Washington is so poor on offense that Denver should have ample opportunity to establish a ground game. Fletcher is a superb tackler who is always near the football. If Moreno, and Correll Buckhalter to a lesser degree, is able to run the ball successfully over the course of four quarters, Washington will have little chance of victory.

6. Stop the run: A usually strong run defense, Washington was gashed on the ground by Michael Turner last week to the tune of 166 yards on just 18 attempts. Denver's offensive line is very athletic and moves well, which allows for optimal blocking angles. The Redskins will have to be quick off the ball up front and smart with their recognition and feel for blocking schemes.

7. Generate some offense: At this point, it really doesn't even matter how the Redskins do it, but their offense has to show some signs of productivity. For the first time in recent memory, that was actually the case in Washington's Week 9 loss to Atlanta in which the Redskins managed to put up 17 points. That doesn't sound like a gigantic accomplishment, but for as inept as the Redskins have been on offense, it was potentially monumental.

8. Blitz Orton's front side: Ryan Harris was injured in Week 8 and did not play on Monday night. Clearly the right side of the Broncos' offensive line is more vulnerable than Orton's blindside, which is protected by Ryan Clady, one of the finest offensive lineman in the game. Washington has to take advantage of that. Orton can get rattled after being pressured consistently, which is when things go bad for Denver's signal-caller.

9. Stay away from Champ Bailey: The Broncos have a very good secondary overall, but Bailey is the best of the group. He is playing extremely well right now and has a major advantage over any single member of Washington's receiving corps. Chances are that Bailey will set his sights on Santana Moss, but Campbell must be smart and distribute the ball among all his pass-catchers this week. The Redskins did have nine different players catch a pass in Week 9.

10. Matchup to watch: Redskins LT Stephon Heyer vs. Dumervil: In a perfect world, Heyer would probably be a No. 3 swing tackle. He isn't the power player desired for the right side or the athlete for the left side. Heyer is going to be tested in a big way in protection, as Dumervil is a superb pass-rusher who exhibits outstanding leverage, technique, quickness and desire to get to opposing quarterbacks.

Prediction
Denver 21
Washington 10

(I don't think this guy has watched a game recently. These are some very mediocre talking points)

gtown
11-12-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree with most of that, although Pitt went after Bailey a bit more than I thought. I have had the displeasure of having to watch a number of Redskins games this year. They have a great defense, but it is not on par with Balt or Pitt. Haynesworth has been a bit injured and it is a good thing that McD is putting Hochstein in for Hamilton, because Haynesworth was gonna push him around.

Their offense is a trainwreck though, and with all of their injuries on that side of the ball, we have a chance to really come after Campbell, who is echelons below Orton. The defense has got to come ready to play, and I think Nolan will get the job done.

Scounts Inc has picked us to win by 11, that usually means blowout. Fingers crossed.

Beantown Bronco
11-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Double cover Moss and send at least 5 guys after Campbell every snap early on. Do that, and I don't see a single scenario where the Skins offense can successfully execute anything.

On offense, neutralize Haynesworth with McDaniels' favorite bubble screens. Let him run all over the field trying to defend those early on and he'll be dead by the 3rd quarter.

elsid13
11-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I agree with most of that, although Pitt went after Bailey a bit more than I thought. I have had the displeasure of having to watch a number of Redskins games this year. They have a great defense, but it is not on par with Balt or Pitt. Haynesworth has been a bit injured and it is a good thing that McD is putting Hochstein in for Hamilton, because Haynesworth was gonna push him around.

Their offense is a trainwreck though, and with all of their injuries on that side of the ball, we have a chance to really come after Campbell, who is echelons below Orton. The defense has got to come ready to play, and I think Nolan will get the job done.

Scounts Inc has picked us to win by 11, that usually means blowout. Fingers crossed.

After watching Skin's defense, I wouldn't call them great. The get little pressure from line, the LB are are ok but not difference makers, and the secondary is vastly overrated. The defense was stats come from playing teams like St Louis, KC, Detroit, and Tampa.

TonyR
11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
4. Protect Kyle Orton: Brian Orakpo is a player who could wreak havoc as an early-down blitzer from his outside linebacker position. On throwing downs, Orakpo will put his hand on the ground, and the combination of this dynamic rookie and Andre Carter is a lot for any pass-protection scheme to handle off the edges. Orakpo had two sacks last week. Kyle Orton isn't very mobile either.

I hate reading positive stuff about Orakpo with Moreno's recent uninspiring play...

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I hate reading positive stuff about Orakpo with Moreno's recent uninspiring play...

Orakpo hasn't done jack, either.

elsid13
11-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Stats wise no. But when watch the skins defense play you see flashes. He shown a good burst around the corner when he put on the line, and doesn't look lost in space when they have playing OLB

Bronco Boy
11-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Dumervil is always part of the matchup to watch.

Rabb
11-12-2009, 12:50 PM

not to mention it is apples to oranges

Rohirrim
11-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Champ had a tough outing against Santonio last week. I think he is going to be fired up. Champ is very competitive anyway, but the combo of last week and playing against his old team might really get his juices going. I predict a pick (or two) on Campbell and maybe even a return back to the house. The Palantir calls for multiple TOs. ;D

missingnumber7
11-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Champ had a tough outing against Santonio last week. I think he is going to be fired up. Champ is very competitive anyway, but the combo of last week and playing against his old team might really get his juices going. I predict a pick (or two) on Campbell and maybe even a return back to the house. The Palantir calls for multiple TOs. ;D

Champ had trouble making run/pass reads last week...had his back to a run play when mendenhal almost ran him over 10-15 yards down field before champ turned around and pushed him out of bounds.