PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vbulletin ? for TJ

HAT
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey Taco,
I just noticed that quotes within quotes were enabled in the PM's. Is there a reason that this feature is not the default within the forums?

I know one could do it manually if tagged properly but that's a PITA. It may look a little more cluttered but would help keep some conversations in context.

Just curious....Sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

EXAMPLE.

EXAMPLE
EXAMPLE

Taco John
11-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure why they don't do that as a default in the forums. I'll take a look to see if there is a setting for it. Seems like it could get unwieldy to me...

HAT
11-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Cool.

If it is a simple settings change....It might be better to wait until we go back to off-season mode for a trial run. (In February, of course. ^5)

Broncobiv
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Just don't set it as the automatic default. I CAN'T STAND IT on other forums when people quote posts, and the new post with the intended quote automatically include other quotes from the quoted post. A few quoted-posts later, and it gets absolutely absurd how it looks with 7, 8, 9 nested quotes, post after post after post.

If possible, make nested quotes an option, but not an automatic feature. Just a request/warning! :thumbsup:

HAT
11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Just don't set it as the automatic default. I CAN'T STAND IT on other forums when people quote posts, and the new post with the intended quote automatically include other quotes from the quoted post. A few quoted-posts later, and it gets absolutely absurd how it looks with 7, 8, 9 nested quotes, post after post after post.

If possible, make nested quotes an option, but not an automatic feature. Just a request/warning! :thumbsup:

Agree 100%

tnedator
11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure why they don't do that as a default in the forums. I'll take a look to see if there is a setting for it. Seems like it could get unwieldy to me...

I think it's the difference between a back and forth PM conversation (between two people) and a thread where you can quote one person, but it isn't a back and forther between only two people.

When you have more than two people (a thread, vs. a PM), then it doesn't lend itself to the quotes within quotes that you get with the PMs.

Taco John
11-11-2009, 11:11 PM
yeah, I don't think this is an option for the main forum. I think it's only available for one-on-one communication through the PM system. I don't see any setting that would enable this.

HAT
11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Right on....

I guess I'll have to freshen up my tagging skills. :strong:

HAT
11-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure why they don't do that as a default in the forums. I'll take a look to see if there is a setting for it. Seems like it could get unwieldy to me...I think it's the difference between a back and forth PM conversation (between two people) and a thread where you can quote one person, but it isn't a back and forther between only two people.

When you have more than two people (a thread, vs. a PM), then it doesn't lend itself to the quotes within quotes that you get with the PMs.Right on....

I guess I'll have to freshen up my tagging skills. :strong:

:wave:

Lev Vyvanse
11-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Right on....

I guess I'll have to freshen up my tagging skills. :strong:yeah, I don't think this is an option for the main forum. I think it's only available for one-on-one communication through the PM system. I don't see any setting that would enable this.

I think it's the difference between a back and forth PM conversation (between two people) and a thread where you can quote one person, but it isn't a back and forther between only two people.

When you have more than two people (a thread, vs. a PM), then it doesn't lend itself to the quotes within quotes that you get with the PMs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9w3eXhhdLkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&autoplay=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9w3eXhhdLkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tnedator
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
:wave:

I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that a thread where 20 or 100 people are responding back and forth is not as conducive to it as a back and forth PM between only two people. Hence the reason vBulletin doesn't have it as an option outside of PMs.