PDA

View Full Version : hamilton getting benched?

tsiguy96
11-11-2009, 12:42 PM
http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/11/changing-of-the-left-guard/1819/

not official until we see it on the field, but he did in practice.

chex
11-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Why not? Hamilton has been getting eaten alive. Hochstein can't be any worse.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
It's probably happening because McDaniels is so stubborn.

Down with McDUMMYFACEPANTS!!!!!!!!!! Right lex?

Liquid Courage
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
we've got to try something; he is a glaring weakness at the moment no matter how much i like him

Bronco Yoda
11-11-2009, 12:48 PM
He's 15-20 lb.s heavier. I don't recall how he played this year against Dallas. Anyone?

bpc
11-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I've called for Hochstein's ascension for awhile now. Hamilton has lost it. He'll probably be out of the league in a few years unless he gets employment in Houston or where ever Shanny winds up.

PRBronco
11-11-2009, 01:05 PM
This is a good move, add some more beef up front. Hamilton can also easily come in as a short yardage blocker like Hochstein does. He might even be better at it, since he's more mobile.

Beantown Bronco
11-11-2009, 01:10 PM
And yet Berger is still punting....

meangene
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
He played well filling in for Kuper earlier. This move comes two games late IMO but, at least, it's happening. Weigman could be next!

crush17
11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
This needs to happen.

DenverBrit
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Good move if he is. The middle of the line has been run over the last couple of weeks.

Bigger, nastier guards and center if the team is moving away from the ZBS, the current roster can't move a big nose tackle.

BroncoFanatic
11-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Better O-line play, and maybe we see less of Berger anyway.

But yeah Berger sucks goat testicles

BigPlayShay
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
We do have to do something, but the only drawback to Hochstein starting is that we lose some of his versatility with him being able to lineup in heavy packages at TE, FB, etc... It's time for Quinn to start earning his keep. Maybe more of Larsen and Hillis being worked in...

Beantown Bronco
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
We do have to do something, but the only drawback to Hochstein starting is that we lose some of his versatility with him being able to lineup in heavy packages at TE, FB, etc... It's time for Quinn to start earning his keep. Maybe more of Larsen and Hillis being worked in...

No big loss. Can't remember them successfully converting anything when they go to that "jumbo/heavy" package anyway. Seems like something bad always happens when they do it.

meangene
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I like the idea of getting bigger and more physical. Larsen, Hillis, Quinn, Hochstein. Maybe having a lead blocker will help some in the run game and getting bigger backs in for blitz pick-up may help too in must pass situations.

BigPlayShay
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
No big loss. Can't remember them successfully converting anything when they go to that "jumbo/heavy" package anyway. Seems like something bad always happens when they do it.

The first drive of the game Monday was a heavy package with Hochstein at TE. That was the 1st opening drive points we have had this season.

BroncoMan4ever
11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
what is the deal with Olsen?

is he not any good or just not ready? i like Hochstein more for versatility and would prefer he stay at his current job as the blocker or TE in jumbo packages

although i am sick of seing Hamilton getting rag dolled and am happy a change has finally been made

NYBronco
11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Good move.

Beantown Bronco
11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
The first drive of the game Monday was a heavy package with Hochstein at TE. That was the 1st opening drive points we have had this season.

Not every play.

gyldenlove
11-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Hochstein looked poor against Cincinnati, he let Odom through in several plays.

BigPlayShay
11-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Not every play.

Fair enough, but your assertion in an earlier post was that they had not had any success in those type of packages, which isn't entirely true.

Beantown Bronco
11-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Fair enough, but your assertion in an earlier post was that they had not had any success in those type of packages, which isn't entirely true.

Can you prove that? I think it is true and the numbers support my case. Look back at that drive again. The plays they opened it up, went light and threw the ball were the successful ones. The ones they went heavy and tried to pound the ball were not successful.

Bronco Yoda
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM

Maybe Berger is McD's stupid way of motivating the Offense. "look guys, if you don't make a first down we have to let this joker kick"

It's so bad you have to try to find some kind of humor in it...right?

MplsBronco
11-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Doesn't Hamilton have a bad back? He must be injured because he's just weak now. He's been a solid player. Too bad.

eddie mac
11-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Hochstein looked poor against Cincinnati, he let Odom through in several plays.

Yeah like anyone else could stop him this year bar injury.LOL

BigPlayShay
11-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Can you prove that? I think it is true and the numbers support my case. Look back at that drive again. The plays they opened it up, went light and threw the ball were the successful ones. The ones they went heavy and tried to pound the ball were not successful.

Well, our only offensive TD in the past 2 games was with Hochstein lining up at FB and leading Knoshon, and yes, against the Steeler in the opening drive he was at TE for the 1st completion to Royal. He helped to sell the play action. Also, I am pretty sure he was at TE on the 3rd and 1 conversion to Marshall at the end of the 1st half that should have gone for a TD if Marshall would have won the 1 on 1 matchup against the safety.

Regardless, I still think his greatest value would be in goaline situations at FB, or TE, but unfortunatley there have not been enough opportunities down there recently.

oubronco
11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>Broncos' Hamilton bumped by Hochstein on offensive line

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post (ljones@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Broncos' Hamilton bumped by Hochstein on offensive line)

The longest-tenured Bronco has been bumped from the starting lineup.
According to a team source, Ben Hamilton, who has been with the Broncos since he was drafted in 2001, has been replaced at left guard by Russ Hochstein, who was acquired in August in a trade with New England.
Hochstein worked with the first-team during the portion of Wednesday's practice that was open to the media.
Should the move stick through the rest of the week, Hamilton will miss his first start when healthy since 2002. He did not play at all in 2007 because of a concussion.

PRBronco
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
what is the deal with Olsen?

is he not any good or just not ready? i like Hochstein more for versatility and would prefer he stay at his current job as the blocker or TE in jumbo packages

although i am sick of seing Hamilton getting rag dolled and am happy a change has finally been made

It seems like they are set on Olsen playing right guard exclusively, I think he came in in one of our early season games when Kuper was out.

broncofan7
11-11-2009, 03:42 PM
They were lining up Harrison on passing downs right over Ben and #92 was abusing his A$$---Teams know he is the weak link and they literally attack him--its been a nice ride Ben--thanks for your past contributions.........

Dean
11-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I have been a fan of Hamilton for years but he isn't getting it done. I have no idea what the reason is but it isn't happening for him so far this year. Maybe Hockstein won't be any better but it is time to find out.

want2bAbronco2
11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Having no LG is better then having Hamilton in there atm.

Popps
11-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Ha!

The haters are going to have a hard time with this one. One minute, they're telling us that McD benches Shanahan players because he didn't pick them, then the next... tell us he's too stubborn.

I'm sure they'll have a perfectly good excuse for why McDaniels stayed with a Shanahan player perhaps a game too long.

Probably a conspiracy...

Hogan11
11-11-2009, 04:46 PM
It had to be done, simple as that

Harvitz81
11-11-2009, 04:53 PM
bout time. I'm starting to think that our 1st day draft picks are going towards the interior line and another CB with Williams getting released.

BroncoBuff
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
If the Broncos do decide to make a change, it would be a first for Hamilton - he has never come off the bench. He has started all 103 of his NFL games. Hamilton is the longest tenured Broncos player, and has been with the team three years longer than anyone else on the current roster.

Wow, props to Ben.

lex
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Its not that Im happy about this. I respect the guy and Im quite certain he was doing his best. Im also kind of of the opinion that he has had an injury, as elsid pointed out. At least I hope. I also hope an injury is why there has been less ZBS. But if it is an injury, I guess you kind of have to wonder what took so long. I mean, is a healthy Hamilton really suited for man blocking,... let alone an injured Hamilton? If Hamilton is healthy, the idea of stubbornness is still in play, however, where the ZBS is concerned. It sucks.

BroncoBuff
11-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Don't count Ben gone yet. Remember he's the only center on the roster other than Weigmann, and Weigmann's 37 years old.

We'll move move him to center next year if Weigmann retires. Either that or trade him to a ZBS team for a draft pick.

enjolras
11-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I wonder if Hamilton gets a shot at center next year?

orinjkrush
11-11-2009, 05:49 PM
tough call. took some balls.

oubronco
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
if it makes the run game go then Get-R-done

PRBronco
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I wonder if Hamilton gets a shot at center next year?

I think this is the last year of his contract isn't it? Writing's on the wall, if so :S

missingnumber7
11-11-2009, 07:04 PM
If memory serves right he was a ZBS guy the whole way through which is why he was drafted.

spdirty
11-11-2009, 07:17 PM

agree on all points. Love Ben, he's been great for us, but the move had to be made.

~Crash~
11-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Ha!

The haters are going to have a hard time with this one. One minute, they're telling us that McD benches Shanahan players because he didn't pick them, then the next... tell us he's too stubborn.

I'm sure they'll have a perfectly good excuse for why McDaniels stayed with a Shanahan player perhaps a game too long.

Probably a conspiracy...

you are so ****ing weak . Hills has what one fumble . how may for our stud Rookie ? and what is his Yards per carry ?

as to Hamlton he has strugled for year with big ass DT's whats you point dip ****

The MVPlaya
11-11-2009, 08:50 PM
you are so ****ing weak . Hills has what one fumble . how may for our stud Rookie ? and what is his Yards per carry ?

as to Hamlton he has strugled for year with big ass DT's whats you point dip ****

With Hillis it's more than meets the eye. Earlier in TC this year and last year he's admitted numerous times that he's not the smartest guy on the team. He's screwed up multiple times with being able to line up in formations correctly.... and that's only what we can see.

Who knows what this guy study habits are, etc.

It seems like Hillis would be perfect for the style of running McD is looking for but there is more BS going on than just what you see on TV.

Maybe he's saving him up for the second half of the season, etc...who knows.

It's ludicrous to think he's not playing him just cuz he's a shanny player tho...Hilarious!

~Crash~
11-11-2009, 09:00 PM
With Hillis it's more than meets the eye. Earlier in TC this year and last year he's admitted numerous times that he's not the smartest guy on the team. He's screwed up multiple times with being able to line up in formations correctly.... and that's only what we can see.

It seems like Hillis would be perfect for the style of running McD is looking for but there is more BS going on than just what you see on TV.

It's ludicrous to think he's not playing him just cuz he's a shanny player tho...Hilarious!

I never said that but what the Rookie is doing does not bold well for McD not being stubborn

The MVPlaya
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I never said that but what the Rookie is doing does not bold well for McD not being stubborn

When Hillis isn't even ACTIVATED - this is not about stubbornness.

Popps
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Again, there has been much speculation about how coachable he is, and rumors that he's had big-time problems picking things up. I'd say at this point, you can pretty much assume that has to be the case.

Take a guy like Woodyard. Hard worker, overachiever... and a regular contributor on McDaniels team, despite being a Shanahan guy.

So, this notion that anyone is being "stubborn" with Hillis is just silly. Remember, Shanahan didn't play Hillis until he had to, either.

I love the guy's talent. I think he's a feature back in waiting. But, there must be some serious question marks about his dedication/mental state if he's not seeing more action with the running game having some problems.

BroncoMan4ever
11-11-2009, 11:11 PM
It seems like they are set on Olsen playing right guard exclusively, I think he came in in one of our early season games when Kuper was out.

if that is the plan, it is very ****ing stupid. Kuper is quite possibly the best young RG in the game. he is the 2nd most important FA we need to re-sign, and Olsen should be just used to take over for Hamilton. imagine having a big tough line with almost all the starters in their early to mid 20's. we could technically have a line that could be left alone for about the next decade if we bring Kuper back and have Olsen start on the Left Side

BroncoMan4ever
11-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Again, there has been much speculation about how coachable he is, and rumors that he's had big-time problems picking things up. I'd say at this point, you can pretty much assume that has to be the case.

Take a guy like Woodyard. Hard worker, overachiever... and a regular contributor on McDaniels team, despite being a Shanahan guy.

So, this notion that anyone is being "stubborn" with Hillis is just silly. Remember, Shanahan didn't play Hillis until he had to, either.

I love the guy's talent. I think he's a feature back in waiting. But, there must be some serious question marks about his dedication/mental state if he's not seeing more action with the running game having some problems.

i agree. i hate hearing this McDaniels is stubborn bull**** and won't use Shanahan guys. i recall him calling Hillis number early in the season, the only problem was that when Hillis went in, he was out of place, didn't know his assignment and wasn't a big contributor, because he has had trouble picking up the new scheme. after a few weeks of him not getting the job done, McDaniels simply began to move on with those who knew their jobs.

fontaine
11-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Hamilton has been a very good player for us when used right in the ZBS.

Here's a guy who regularly played well at his position, did everything the coaches asked of him and did it all with his agility, and quickness instead of just being a fat tub of guts at Guard.

It's a pity he's hasn't adjusted to the different blocking style but Ben showed me what kind of player he is after he came back to the team when he was almost forced to retire after a couple of really bad concussions.

The Joker
11-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Happy with this move if it goes through, it's been difficult watching Ben out there the last few games.

Been a great servant to the team though, hope we see him in there lead blocking on the goalline.

supermanhr9
11-12-2009, 08:18 AM

I agree, I think if I see Berger f&*% up any more punts I will fly home and try out myself. Hell I can kick the ball 30 yards, I'll do it for half the price too!!!

Ok so I might need some practice first.:thumbs:

HEAV
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Broncos LG Ben Hamilton has lost his starting job to Russ Hochstein

Thank you Coach McDaniels!

Broncos make o-line changeBy Lindsay Jones

The longest-tenured Bronco has been bumped from the starting lineup.

Ben Hamilton, who has been with team since he was drafted in 2001, has been replaced at left guard by Russ Hochstein, who was acquired in August in a trade with New England.

Hochstein was with the first-team during the portion of Wednesday’s practice that was open to the media.

Should the move stick through the rest of the week, Hamilton will miss his first start in which he is healthy since 2002. He did not play at all in 2007 because of a concussion.
------------------

It has been clear that Hamilton was done. Even in the Broncos wins he was manhandle in both run and pass protection. His name and past allowed him to start and try to prove he could do it.

In the past Hamilton could have gotten away being 290 with his quickness and smarts. But now he has lost his quickness and was just dive'n at D-linemen. His pas blocking was a huge weakness and he couldn't block one on one anymore.

It's sad when an old warrior must step down, but it was time...

SJ Bronco
11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I agree, I think if I see Berger f&*% up any more punts I will fly home and try out myself. Hell I can kick the ball 30 yards, I'll do it for half the price too!!!

Ok so I might need some practice first.:thumbs:

How did burger make it out the locker room without getting cut? I'd have cut him before he came off the field after his last punt screwed us so royally....Then again, I'd have cut him last game too. I get the feeling Josh is slow to bench or cut guys he signed. Just a thought.

tsiguy96
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
btw, mcdaniels confirmed today that hochstein WILL start at LG on sunday.

HEAV
11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
btw, mcdaniels confirmed today that hochstein WILL start at LG on sunday.

Hoch will be a stop-gap for the remainder of the season. I can fully see freeagent dollars being used to upgrade LG next year.

BroncoMan4ever
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Hoch will be a stop-gap for the remainder of the season. I can fully see freeagent dollars being used to upgrade LG next year.

screw that. get a new deal with Kuper and keep the right side in tact, and start prepping Olsen to take over on the left. and then bring in depth and upgrade the C

bombay
11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Good.

meangene
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
screw that. get a new deal with Kuper and keep the right side in tact, and start prepping Olsen to take over on the left. and then bring in depth and upgrade the C

Yeah, I don't understand the whole working Olsen at RG only thing. Makes no sense.

Dedhed
11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
It had to be done, simple as that

yup

Drek
11-13-2009, 07:32 AM

I'd much rather step out and use our 2nd round pick on one of the better OGs in the draft, and let Hochstein or a low cost stop gap fill the role until the young guy is ready (if he isn't from day one).

We've got a young core with Clady, Kuper, and Harris. We should focus on keeping that going. Same with when we replace Casey Weigman, bring in a young premium center talent to fill the role for the next 6-8 years minimum.