PDA

View Full Version : Broncos coach McDaniels: "No shortcuts" to improving running game

oubronco
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Broncos coach McDaniels: "No shortcuts" to improving running game

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13759258

Broncos coach McDaniels: "No shortcuts" to improving running game
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Too bad Forrest Gump has retired to the old-movie display of a video store near you.

The Broncos could use him.

Run, somebody, run!

In the past two games, Broncos tailbacks Correll Buckhalter and Knowshon Moreno have combined for 84 yards rushing on 32 carries for a 2.6-yard average.

Moreno started against the Baltimore Ravens. Buckhalter started against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

After their 6-0 start, the Broncos ranked seventh in rushing. Two games later, they rank 18th.

"There's no shortcut to it," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said late Monday night after his team's 28-10 loss to Pittsburgh. "We have to work hard at getting ourselves to run the ball better and be more effective running the football and staying out of third-and-long. That alone will allow us to stay balanced. We've got to get the running game going. We've got a lot of things to do better though; it's not just the running game."

Harris update.

Right tackle Ryan Harris is expected to miss his second consecutive game Sunday when the Broncos play at Washington. Harris suffered a dislocated right big toe not two small toes as previously reported Nov. 1 at Baltimore.

There is a chance he could return by Nov. 22 for the game against AFC West rival San Diego. But because the game against the Chargers will be followed four days later by a Thanksgiving game against the New York Giants, there is also a chance Harris might not return until Dec. 6 against Kansas City.

He has been replaced by Tyler Polumbus, a second-year player from the University of Colorado who continues to receive positive reviews.

"I thought Tyler hung in there pretty good," McDaniels said of Polumbus' first NFL start Monday against the Steelers.

Busy Berger.

Given Mitch Berger was unemployed the first seven weeks of this season, it might have helped had the Broncos broke him in slowly as their new punter.

He was not afforded such luxury. In the Broncos' first six wins, Brett Kern punted 27 times, or 4 1/2 boots a game. In the Broncos' last two losses, Berger has already made 15 punts, 7 1/2 per game.

After Berger had punts of 26 and 24 yards against the Steelers, McDaniels was asked if he was rethinking his decision to switch punters.

"We'll take a look at the film and see if there is anything," McDaniels said. "I know there were a couple of short punts there. I know he did good things too. Punted some directionally that we wanted directional punted. We'll take a look at everything."

Defense slips.

The Broncos no longer have the NFL's best defense. They now rank third in total defense (280.3 yards per game) and third in scoring (15.5 points).

A couple of bad halves will do this to a team's ranking. The Larry Coyer-coordinated Indianapolis Colts have the top scoring defense at 13.5 points per game.

"We have to get back to getting off the field on third down in the second half, which we did a good job of in the first six games," Broncos cornerback Andre Goodman said.

Defense rises.

Then again, in the all-important takeaway and sack categories, the Broncos are at least two times better than their 2008 defense. By forcing Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger into a fumble and interception Monday, the Broncos have 14 takeaways in eight games. They had 13 takeaways in 16 games last year.

The Broncos also reached the halfway point with 26 sacks. They had 26 sacks all of last season.

Footnotes.

Brandon Marshall personifies the Broncos' short passing game. He has moved up to a tie for 11th in the league with 44 catches. Yet, his 468 receiving yards rank 29th. . . . Almost overlooked Monday were the seven catches by Steelers receiver Hines Ward, giving him 849 for his career, tied with ex-Bronco Rod Smith for 15th on the all-time list.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Gort
11-11-2009, 08:54 AM
how about running some ZBS plays every once in a while?

broncosteven
11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
It is sad when your D outscores your O.

They need to get Hillis into a single back formation and see what he can do behind either the ZBS, a TE Trapping or a pulling guard or even pass to him in the flat. Why line him up wide then pass to him along the sideline where he has little room to run?

Bigdawg26
11-11-2009, 10:32 AM
It's very hard to run the ball when your quarterback can't throw the deep ball. All defenses have to do is put 8 in the box.

broncofan7
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
It's very hard to run the ball when your quarterback can't throw the deep ball. All defenses have to do is put 8 in the box.

RE: Marshall's YPC. Plugging in Orton @ QB is like putting a Yugo's transmission into a BMW M3---nothing but missed connections and a lack of output........

bronco militia
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM

the Brian Griese era has returned

WolfpackGuy
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Get used to it.

The more the Broncos refuse to go downfield, the more the other teams will crowd the line.

Already saw this in Denver from 1999-2002.

HAT
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
The run game will be fine next week. Washington sucks vs. the run.

Pitt #1 run D
Cincy #2 run D
Balty #7 run D

Against non top 10 Run D's...Denver's rushing stats:

Clev 186
Oak 215
Dal 116
NE 103
SD 101

They're gonna get stuffed by the run stuffers, go off against the teams that can't defend it, and look average vs. the avergae defenders. Just what you'd expect from a team in transition with some questions along the interior OL, a rookie RB and a FA signing who was a career back-up.

Taco John
11-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Hmmmm... No shortcuts.

I believe that's code for "Knowshon Moreno is our future, get out of my face with this Hillis crap."

And he's probably right. But I wish he'd find a way to mix Hillis in. I really think the guy could provide the team a spark. And maybe that's the whole problem. I'm not talking about him not using a Shanahan guy or anything. I mean - if the rumors are true that Hillis is still coming around on learning the offense - and he gets in and breaks off a big run or two, it could put Josh in a very annoying situation. And when I stop to consider it, Shanahan wasn't exactly eagerly putting the football in his hands until about 18 running backs before him got injured. But boy, when he finally got his shot to tote the rock, the guy fricken toted it.

Still, I'm not convinced that Hillis couldn't help this team out with 5 carries a game, especially if those 5 carries were on third downs.

SoDak Bronco
11-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Hmmmm... No shortcuts.

I believe that's code for "Knowshon Moreno is our future, get out of my face with this Hillis crap."

And he's probably right. But I wish he'd find a way to mix Hillis in. I really think the guy could provide the team a spark. And maybe that's the whole problem. I'm not talking about him not using a Shanahan guy or anything. I mean - if the rumors are true that Hillis is still coming around on learning the offense - and he gets in and breaks off a big run or two, it could put Josh in a very annoying situation. And when I stop to consider it, Shanahan wasn't exactly eagerly putting the football in his hands until about 18 running backs before him got injured. But boy, when he finally got his shot to tote the rock, the guy fricken toted it.

Still, I'm not convinced that Hillis couldn't help this team out with 5 carries a game, especially if those 5 carries were on third downs.

Wow are you serious with this Peyton stuff still? We couldn't run with TD back there, these guys are getting hit before they get past the line these past 2 weeks. Before that we were doing fine, its a combination of great run defenses, and Orton not being able to back 8 guys off in the box. Peyton should get some looks in short yardage, but he isn't the full time answer.

Taco John
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
That's why I said 5 carries in that last sentence.

I like how sometimes people are quick to disagree, and then it turns out that they're in total agreement of what you just said.

oubronco
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Hmmmm... No shortcuts.

and he would be stupid for discarding Hillis he is too valuable

broncofan7
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
That's why I said 5 carries in that last sentence.

I like how sometimes people are quick to disagree, and then it turns out that they're in total agreement of what you just said.

Face it--you had a great idea when you decided to start this forum, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then........

bronco militia
11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Face it--you had a great idea when you decided to start this forum, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then........

:rofl:

what a dick

Crushaholic
11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Did people completely miss this gem from the article?

After their 6-0 start, the Broncos ranked seventh in rushing. Two games later, they rank 18th.

Our running game is fine. It seems like we were completely unprepared for what the Ravens and the Steelers would bring...

bronco militia
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Did people completely miss this gem from the article?

Our running game is fine. It seems like we were completely unprepared for what the Ravens and the Steelers would bring...

unprepared? is it to much to admit the broncos were not the better team?

Crushaholic
11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
unprepared? is it to much to admit the broncos were not the better team?

Part of being a better team is proper game preparation. But, yes...The Ravens and the Steelers showed they were the better teams...

bpc
11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Man, it's amazing how easy Mike Shanahan's system made running the ball look especially compared with where we are now. Even last year's crap ass effort looked better than what Buck and Knowshon have been doing.

I think McD needs to wise up and include more of what this offensive line has strengths at, which would be zone blocking. They've proven that the transition to a iso, trap blocking offense has been tough so now we have to switch it up a little.

I'll also say that Moreno and Buck have been extremely weak in the backfield. It's not all blocking... sometimes those guys have to run through tackles and they're not really doing that, especially at the LOS. I think we should look at putting Hillis in the backfield a little more. Hell, at least we would be getting 4 yds and a cloud of dust.