PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag: Season-ticket holders shouldn't be traitors

Bronco Rob
11-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Broncos Mailbag: Season-ticket holders shouldn't be traitors

David in Denver isn't too happy about the "Terrible" showing a MileHigh

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

1.) My question is for "fans" of the Broncos. Why don't these season-ticket holders who sell their tickets to the opposing team's fans give up their rights to tickets to fans on the waiting list? Monday's game against the Steelers was embarrassing. Not because of the Broncos' performance - because of the number of Terrible Towels we allowed into "our house." Give up those seats to some real Broncos fans.---David Stamps, Denver

David, I hear your concern. More important, the Broncos hear your concern. "We feel for our loyal fans on this issue," said Joe Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer. "But frankly there's nothing we can do about it. Our ability to control that is nonexistent and would be illegal to do so."

Passed into Colorado law last year was the right for season-ticket holders to resell their tickets to anybody they wanted at whatever price they wanted. "In fairness to them, it allows them to recapture some of their hard-earned discretionary income," Ellis said. "Having said that, it's a tough issue for our fans and our players to sit there and watch our building appear to be neutralized to some extent."

There are buy-back ticket websites and ticket brokers out there. There is Craigslist and eBay. There are scalpers. The Broncos monitor websites and are aware of ticket holders who repeatedly resell their tickets. Those people receive an occasional letter from the Broncos encouraging them, but not threatening them, to resell their seats to Broncos fans.

But if the occasional Joe and Betty Bronco fan needs to sell a pair of $125 tickets and are offered full price, are they going to first interrogate the

Count the Broncos fans in this photo from Invesco Field on Monday. (Click to enlarge.) More Broncos photos. (The Denver Post | John Leyba)customers before selling them? No, they're probably taking the cash, putting gas in their tank and paying half the utility bill.
Rather than blame Broncos fans, particularly those who are not in the ticket-gouging business, credit the movement that is Steeler Nation and Cheesehead Country. You can't stop them. You can't even contain them if the Broncos fall behind.

The crowd Monday night at Invesco Field at Mile High was still 70 to 75 percent Broncos fans. That's enough for home-field advantage. The Steelers team that played in Denver was just tough enough to overcome that advantage.

2.) Hey, Mike. I feel like I've heard this tune before. The Broncos get off to a great start, the league adjusts to what they're doing, the Denver coaching staff fails to adjust and the Broncos tank the second half of the season, missing the playoffs by letting Philip Rivers and the Chargers pass them. The Broncos' last two games have been eerily similar: no offense, lackluster defense in the fourth quarter, very unspecial special teams. The blueprint seems to be there. Tell me why this year will be different.--Jake, Marion, Iowa

Jake, even from Iowa, you have your finger on the pulse of the Denver area. My response to you and all, however, is these are not yesterday's Broncos. What makes this Denver team different is the defense. Despite the defense's fourth-quarter struggles the past two weeks, I still think the Broncos have a strong enough unit on

Submit a Question
Speak up by sending your Broncos- or NFL-related question to Mike Klis
that side of the ball to shorten slumps by winning a low-scoring game or two.
The strength of past Denver teams was the offense. When they needed it most down the stretch, the defense of the Broncos couldn't stop anybody. The defense couldn't stop Buffalo for cripes sake.

This year's Denver defense will continue to keep games competitive until the Broncos get another lucky bounce or the offense gets out of its rut.

No doubt, the Broncos have lost some momentum. And there's no denying a 16-game season is too short to allow a slump to carry on. But the beauty of a 6-0 start is that it allows a team to absorb a two-game losing streak. So long as it doesn't become a three-game losing streak entering their game Nov. 22 against San Diego, the Broncos are fine.

3.) Mike, the Broncos played their third team that is coming off a bye week. I would think it gives a team an advantage against the Broncos. Not that the Chargers, Ravens and Steelers need the help.--Tom, Salt Lake City

Tom, one of those byes, against the Ravens, was negated by the fact the Broncos were also coming off a bye. But three consecutive opponents coming off byes is unusual. I remember the Chargers played a bunch of teams coming off byes in 2005 and it may not be any coincidence that was the only season in the last five years they didn't win the AFC West.

Make no mistake, schedule quirks contribute to the NFL's parity system. It's rarely discussed because it's impossible to quantify. But it's there.

4.) Mike, have I missed something? What has happened with Brandon Stokley? Is it an injury? Living this far from my favorite team causes me to miss stuff.---Gary, Dayton, Nev.

A: Gary, Stokley did lose some early season momentum when he suffered a deep thigh bruise late in the first half of Game 2 against Cleveland. Until then, he had the 87-yard "Immaculate Deflection" to defeat Cincinnati in the season opener and a team-high five catches for 70 yards in that first half against Cleveland.

Stokley has had just four catches for 28 yards since then. The thigh injury forced Stokley to sit out all but three plays of Game 3 against the Raiders, but otherwise his playing time has been reduced through a combination of increased playing time for Brandon Marshall, who didn't play much early, and the Broncos in recent weeks going more to two-tight end than three-wide receiver sets.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13755983?source=rss

:pimp:

Bronco Rob
11-12-2009, 11:51 AM
:thumbsup:

Broncoman13
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I think it's sad that Pat Bowlen or anybody on his staff would find a Bronco Fan selling tickets at a jacked up price as anything less than good business. It is afterall what Pat Bowlen has done to us year after year... no?

Tell me, how loyal are the Denver Broncos and their Players to the fans? More loyal than most franchises, I'll give you that... but their bottom line is still the almighty $.

Crushaholic
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
In this economy, people need money more than ever...

watermock
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
So Bowlen sold us out?

I guess thats 1 way to keep the sellout streak alive.

Probably justified it by telling Denver it might pay the bond back sooner.

But Damn.

Now it's just a commodity.

Killericon
11-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I got to go to my 2nd NFL game this past Sunday. I saw the Chargers play the Giants. When I got there, I heard the Giants fans bemoan how the people in our seats sold out to people who aren't even fans of either team.

Anyways, I'm not gonna complain about people selling their season tickets to non-fans, since it's the only way I get good seats to games(Since I'm NEVER in Denver). I had the experience of a lifetime, the guy whose seats we had got his (crapload of)money...Everybody wins.

Beantown Bronco
11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I got to go to my 2nd NFL game this past Sunday. I saw the Chargers play the Giants. When I got there, I heard the Giants fans bemoan how the people in our seats sold out to people who aren't even fans of either team.

You should've told him that you're a fan of whoever plays the Chargers. That would've shut him up, most likely.

watermock
11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
[4.) Mike, have I missed something? What has happened with Brandon Stokley? Is it an injury? Living this far from my favorite team causes me to miss stuff.---Gary, Dayton, Nev.

A: Gary, Did you see what was happening to our LG?. That's why I brought in Hillis and Graham to help Hamilton. Are you questioning my authority? I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole!..

lex
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I think it's sad that Pat Bowlen or anybody on his staff would find a Bronco Fan selling tickets at a jacked up price as anything less than good business. It is afterall what Pat Bowlen has done to us year after year... no?

Tell me, how loyal are the Denver Broncos and their Players to the fans? More loyal than most franchises, I'll give you that... but their bottom line is still the almighty $.

Thats a total whiff but its understandable that you would take the cheese by virtue of Klis typically reciting Denver FO speak.

Its not really an issue of the fans vs. the Denver Broncos as much as its an issue of the fans vs fans (or put another way, real fans vs. faux fans). A ticket is a right to watch the game. You have people on the waiting list. The people who want to buy tickets to go to the games, or at the very least, not turn profiteer are the ones who are getting screwed over on this.