PDA

View Full Version : Will Kyle Orton make the pro bowl?

Taco John
11-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Curious what the Mane thinks about this just past the halfway mark...

Broncos4Life
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Uh..... NO!

LOL!

broncocalijohn
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I was going to say yes then I figured you have Manning and Brady as automatics then I figured will Rivers get his just do and be selected? I think the fans and other players are warming up to him. If this poll was up 2 weeks ago, I say YES as the 3rd QB. Orton is digressing and Rivers still puts up the numbers. Orton will get selected if someone bows out.

strafen
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Curious what the Mane thinks about this just past the halfway mark...

Are you serious?
No. I don't see anything he's done so special to deserve a pro-bowl consideration...

Williams
11-10-2009, 09:41 PM
AFC - Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger

NFC - Brees, Favre, Rodgers

Some other year, maybe. Too many QBs playing at a very high level this year.

Popps
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Who gives a ****.

Just win a playoff game. Let's start there.

It's been a long time.

Bronco Yoda
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
He better not. You all know how I feel about this. That's all we need is for him to think he's all that now...

Taco John
11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Who gives a ****.

Just win a playoff game. Let's start there.

It's been a long time.

nobody forced you to open the thread

The question has significance given Orton's contract standing.

Man-Goblin
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Ask this 17 days ago and the result would have been much different.

The 3rd QB in the AFC, at this point, should probably be Schaub, then Rivers, but will probably be Big Ben.

Taco John
11-10-2009, 09:56 PM

The 3rd QB in the AFC, at this point, should probably be Schaub, then Rivers, but will probably be Big Ben.

I would have guessed that Kyle was on his way to a pro bowl 17 days ago, that much I know.

Popps
11-10-2009, 09:58 PM
nobody forced you to open the thread

The question has significance given Orton's contract standing.

The Pro Bowl is half popularity, half stats. Orton isn't likely to have the best of either.

I highly doubt anyone looks at him as a Pro Bowl QB right now.

Doesn't mean he can't be effective.

Taco John
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I agree, but I dont see how he can be effective at this point without some solid rushing production behind him... I've been alarmed about the rushing game all season, but this last game was like getting doused with a bucket of ice cold water. In a defensive struggle, we need to be able to grind it out and let Orton pick his spots.

Popps
11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree, but I dont see how he can be effective at this point without some solid rushing production behind him... I've been alarmed about the rushing game all season, but this last game was like getting doused with a bucket of ice cold water. In a defensive struggle, we need to be able to grind it out and let Orton pick his spots.

I agree.

All QBs need a supporting cast, and a dominant running game HAS to be a compliment to an attacking defense like we have, particularly when we don't have a top 3 QB in the league.

I thought we ran well enough in the first 6 games. Not stellar, but we ran when we needed to. But, we've run into a funk against two brutal defenses.

This stuff is to be expected. 6-0 was an insane start. We're probably around a .500 talent football team with great upside. McD did a masterful job making this team immediately competitive.

As bad as these last two games felt, we were in the game through 3 quarters, and had the lead Monday night in the 3rd quarter.

The running game needs tuning, and probably some personnel adjustments.
No surprise, there.

We're not going to be flawless in one offseason. Games like the last two against great teams illuminate issues, and we've got a few. No surprise.

OBF1
11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
get a life.... who ever thought he is better than Manning, Brady, Rothlisberger or Rivers???

Blueflame
11-10-2009, 10:57 PM
QB performance still is greatly dependent on O-line performance. What we've seen in the last 2 games is the direct result of injury to a key O-lineman. IMHO.

To answer the question in the OP... the offensive player with the best chance of going to the Pro Bowl is Clady.

Rohirrim
11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Where is the (Ha!) option?

boltaneer
11-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Is this a serious question? No one, outside of the biggest of Bronco homers would vote for Orton.

Manning and Brady are guaranteed a spot. As well as Rivers is playing, Big Ben is playing at a high level and will probably get the last spot. I don't think Rivers gets in. He's putting up great numbers despite a garbage o-line but I don't think it's going to be enough statistically. Unless they start winning every game from here on out, Schaub doesn't stand a chance even if he keeps putting up big numbers. And I'd vote for Palmer over Schaub.

But the fan voting is a joke. They start the voting way too early (doesn't it start week six or so?)

Fan voting shouldn't start until at least week 14.

Popps
11-11-2009, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=boltaneer;2637234]Is this a serious question? /QUOTE]

Taco is usually trying to work an angle when he posts this kind of stuff. Failing, but trying.

Only in this case, I can't even come up with what theory he might be trying to buoy.

(Griese being awesome, Bowlen making a HUGE mistake letting Shanahan go, Cutler being the answer to our woes, etc.)

So, to answer your question... it's probably not a serious question. It's groundwork for something else.

baja
11-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Since you did not say which year than I'd say yes someday he might.

Taco John
11-11-2009, 12:33 AM
I agree.

All QBs need a supporting cast, and a dominant running game HAS to be a compliment to an attacking defense like we have, particularly when we don't have a top 3 QB in the league.

I thought we ran well enough in the first 6 games. Not stellar, but we ran when we needed to. But, we've run into a funk against two brutal defenses.

This stuff is to be expected. 6-0 was an insane start. We're probably around a .500 talent football team with great upside. McD did a masterful job making this team immediately competitive.

As bad as these last two games felt, we were in the game through 3 quarters, and had the lead Monday night in the 3rd quarter.

No surprise, there.

We're not going to be flawless in one offseason. Games like the last two against great teams illuminate issues, and we've got a few. No surprise.

These are all great points, but I bolded the one that gives me a shot of hope. I don't feel like this team came into these games expecting anything but to grind it out and win.

That said, I *did* feel like the defense started to lose a little heart in this last game after watching the offense sputter and then the special teams hang them with short yardage punts. They clearly have enough pride to pull it together - credit to Dawkins for keeping the fire alive. The guy is a real blessing to have on our team.

I still think that we can win any game on this schedule, and this is why I'm hammering the running game right now and trying to find answers. Not because I want to see any of them fail, but because we're so close to being a lunchbucket playoff team. A solid, grinding rushing attack would really solve a lot of problems that we're having in the 4th quarter against teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Taco John
11-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Is this a serious question? No one, outside of the biggest of Bronco homers would vote for Orton.

Manning and Brady are guaranteed a spot. As well as Rivers is playing, Big Ben is playing at a high level and will probably get the last spot. I don't think Rivers gets in. He's putting up great numbers despite a garbage o-line but I don't think it's going to be enough statistically. Unless they start winning every game from here on out, Schaub doesn't stand a chance even if he keeps putting up big numbers. And I'd vote for Palmer over Schaub.

But the fan voting is a joke. They start the voting way too early (doesn't it start week six or so?)

Fan voting shouldn't start until at least week 14.

It was a serious question. I think that most everyone here would have unanimously agreed going out of the bye that Orton was having a probowl season. That's what 6-0 with 1 interception will do for a guy. But two losses later, and people unanimously think that ship has sunk.

There's no point to prove, though it does offer a lot of fodder for reflection.

Popps
11-11-2009, 12:45 AM
It was a serious question. I think that most everyone here would have unanimously agreed going out of the bye that Orton was having a probowl season. That's what 6-0 with 1 interception will do for a guy.

No way. Not without a major jump in stats. Pro Bowl players need stats. Orton has a great QB rating, but that's not what people look at.

Even two weeks ago, this poll would have been lopsidedly NO, without question.

Popps
11-11-2009, 12:55 AM
T
That said, I *did* feel like the defense started to lose a little heart in this last game after watching the offense sputter and then the special teams hang them with short yardage punts. They clearly have enough pride to pull it together - credit to Dawkins for keeping the fire alive. The guy is a real blessing to have on our team.

A solid, grinding rushing attack would really solve a lot of problems that we're having in the 4th quarter against teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

You're learning.

Basically, what we faced Monday night is exactly what we need to become. That is a fierce, brutal defense... just like Baltimore. Offensive support or not, they bring it.

I'd say we're on our way to having that kind of defense, and certainly Dawkins helps set that tone.

However, I also agree that there's only SO much you can pin on your defense. I'm a defense-first guy, but even I became very frustrated with the offense on Monday night. It was tough to watch, particularly in the 2nd half.
You've got to at least be able to play a field-position game, and give your D a chance to rest. We couldn't even do that.

McDaniels made a big statement taking Moreno. It might turn out to be the right pick, and it might not... but he basically told you how important he believes the running game is. I'll guarantee you that no one on the planet is more pissed off about our running game than Josh McDaniels right now. Odds are, that dude isn't sleeping this week... assuming he sleeps at all.

I work with a lot of hardcore football fans, and actually a pretty smart bunch of fans. (Which is rare.) When I walked in on Tuesday morning, the first thing one of them said to me was.... "man, your running game...."

I expected him to be bashing Orton, which would be fairly legit. Orton had a poor outing. But, he saw the running game struggles. If that's not clicking, you're in big trouble.

Defense + running game = playoff football.

Boring and cliche? Maybe. But absolutely true.

Blueflame
11-11-2009, 02:01 AM
The pass sets up the run. And vice versa. Anytime an offense becomes one-dimensional for whatever reason, the edge goes to the defense. And when that happens against one of the league's best defenses, the results can be pretty predictable.

KCStud
11-11-2009, 03:06 AM
Is this a joke? Orton isn't even a top 5 QB in the AFC. Hell Matt Cassel has more TD's than him, and Cassel has no OL, not to mention his team has no rushing TD's yet this season. What does that say about Orton?

BMarsh615
11-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Is this a joke? Orton isn't even a top 5 QB in the AFC. Hell Matt Cassel has more TD's than him, and Cassel has no OL, not to mention his team has no rushing TD's yet this season. What does that say about Orton?

Matt Cassel got his TD's in garbage time going against prevent defenses.

fontaine
11-11-2009, 03:54 AM

I know what you mean but I think you have to put the last two games into their proper context.

Pitt/Bal almost never allow 100 yard rushers and routinely shut down RBs. Combine that with the injuries to our OL (Hamilton/Harris) then it is what it is.

If we can't run the ball against SD/KC/Oak then you have reason to worry.

400HZ
11-11-2009, 05:28 AM
It was a serious question. I think that most everyone here would have unanimously agreed going out of the bye that Orton was having a probowl season. That's what 6-0 with 1 interception will do for a guy. But two losses later, and people unanimously think that ship has sunk.

There's no point to prove, though it does offer a lot of fodder for reflection.

6-0 with 1 interception and what, 7 touchdowns leading a middle of the pack dink-and-dunk offense? Chad Pennington did the same thing last year only with fewer offensive weapons. He didn't make the Pro Bowl.

Game manager quarterbacks don't make the Pro Bowl in a conference full of play maker quarterbacks.

WolfpackGuy
11-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Only if the AFC somehow gets down to its 10th alternate at QB.

Br0nc0Buster
11-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Rothlisberger, Rivers, Manning, Brady

Orton could have a stud season and still not make the probowl considering the AFC is stacked with good qbs

hopefully Kyle can right the ship after the last two disasters

broncofan7
11-11-2009, 05:37 AM
C) What a stupid mother-p hucking POLL. Idiot.

Rohirrim
11-11-2009, 05:51 AM
C) What a stupid mother-p hucking POLL. Idiot.

Perhaps you should go away.

broncofan7
11-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Perhaps you should go away.

Kyle Orton & Pro bowl? And I should 'go away'?.......that is A LOT of kool-aid ...........

go_broncos
11-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Even Kyle Orton will laugh seeing this thread.
Good that most of the posters agree that he is not a pro bowl QB..
Pro bowl is anyway Joke.

Hopefully, Orton will play the way he played against NE and win games for us.

loborugger
11-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Even if you throw out the last 2 loses, and we magically are 8 & 0, I dont see him going to the PB - maybe as an alternate. As has been mentioned by many others, there is Manning and Brady. That leaves one spot left. Maybe if we went 19 & 0, Orton goes to the PB, otherwise, no.

rbackfactory80
11-11-2009, 07:30 AM
I think the better question is about his HOF chances.

baja
11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
These are all great points, but I bolded the one that gives me a shot of hope. I don't feel like this team came into these games expecting anything but to grind it out and win.

That said, I<b> *did* </b>feel like the defense started to lose a little heart in this last game after watching the offense sputter and then the special teams hang them with short yardage punts. They clearly have enough pride to pull it together - credit to Dawkins for keeping the fire alive. The guy is a real blessing to have on our team.

I still think that we can win any game on this schedule, and this is why I'm hammering the running game right now and trying to find answers. Not because I want to see any of them fail, but because we're so close to being a lunchbucket playoff team. A solid, grinding rushing attack would really solve a lot of problems that we're having in the 4th quarter against teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

OK what do the (*) do to the word 'did' above.

Does that mean the emphasis is on the 'did' word, a hard 'did' is that it?

Bronco Rob
11-11-2009, 07:44 AM
1.) Manning
2.) Brady
3.) Roethlisberger
4.) Schaub
5.) Palmer

Just sayin'

UberBroncoMan
11-11-2009, 07:49 AM

Kubiac is pro at molding QB's.

The Joker
11-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Our players that have Pro Bowl chances IMO are.

Clady - Good chance he'll go, he's awesome and almost everybody knows it now.

Marshall - 44 catches already despite the early season issues. Has a chance but needs a big second half with so many quality receivers out there, has to find the endzone more.

Dumervil - Pretty much a lock unless he falls off drastically.

Dawkins - Reputation helps him here, and he's been excellent this year. Not a lock though, some really good safeties in the AFC.

Bailey - Lock. Playing well aside from the Steeler game, plus he's Champ so reputation gets him there.

Prater might have a shot too actually.

My guess is Clady, Dumervil and Bailey make it.

broncosteven
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I agree.

All ...

No surprise, there.

We had a lead in the 3rd Quarter because the Defense scored our only TD. D out scored our O plus the pick 6 Orton threw didn't help the cause much.

Orton is a perfect QB for a team rebuilding.

It is apparent we are rebuilding on O, if the O could have sustained some drives in the 1st half the last 2 weeks or even answered some drives in the 2nd half the D would have a chance. THey are on the field too long to be dominant and our O is not putting points on the board.

Maybe we get back on track at Washington but I am guessing SD has a chip on it's shoulder. The SD game will dictate the season.

Crushaholic
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Not this year. The guy is still young and still progressing as a quarterback...

Rigs11
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM
take your pro bowl and shove it!

boltaneer
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
6-0 with 1 interception and what, 7 touchdowns leading a middle of the pack dink-and-dunk offense? Chad Pennington did the same thing last year only with fewer offensive weapons. He didn't make the Pro Bowl.

Game manager quarterbacks don't make the Pro Bowl in a conference full of play maker quarterbacks.

What he said.

Orton was putting up 2006 Damon Huard numbers in the first six games. Good for his team but Pro Bowls are about putting up big numbers and about QBs who can carry their team to victory.

rastaman
11-11-2009, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=boltaneer;2637234]Is this a serious question? /QUOTE]

Taco is usually trying to work an angle when he posts this kind of stuff. Failing, but trying.

Only in this case, I can't even come up with what theory he might be trying to buoy.

(Griese being awesome, Bowlen making a HUGE mistake letting Shanahan go, Cutler being the answer to our woes, etc.)

So, to answer your question... it's probably not a serious question. It's groundwork for something else.

So how long have you had your psychiatrist licence......and how's business now days?:wiggle: