PDA

View Full Version : Will we draft a QB if Bradford or Clausen are available with our 1st rounder?

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 07:13 AM
JAYC going 6-10 and us picking around 12-15 is a VERY real possibility for us this year--IF Bradford or Jimmy Clausen are available when we pick---will we draft one of them or pass?

lex
11-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Is anyone 100% certain either is better than Brandstater? Im not trying to overhype Brandstater but he has shown promise the times we have seen him. He didnt play at a powerhouse football school, which actually probably works in his favor. Just look at what happened with Green Bay and Brohm. Flynn was actually more impressive than Brohm, who they used a 2nd on.

This actually looks like a decent year for QB prospects in the 2nd or 3rd round area even though Brandstater may eliminate the need to take one high.

chanesaw
11-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I would take Clausen in a heartbeat. He has been playing QB better than anybody in the NCAA. ND runs a Patriot style offense, so Josh should like that.

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I would take Clausen in a heartbeat. He has been playing QB better than anybody in the NCAA. ND runs a Patriot style offense, so Josh should like that.

That is my choice as well--I hated that guy when he arrived on campus in his HUMMER limosine...but he has played VERY well this year--and he can make ALL of the throws---is fairly mobile and has GREAT velocity.......

Broncoman13
11-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd have to watch a bit more on Clausen. McCoy could be a possibility in the 2nd round as well. His athleticsm is something we are sorely lacking right now. The ability to escape a sack or two per game would be nice.

meangene
11-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Clausen is one of the most accurate passers I have seen and a GREAT deep ball thrower. If he has time, it is almost a given that he will complete the pass. Also, even though he has terrific receivers, his offensive line is not a great pass blocking line. He stands in the pocket and takes the hit to deliver the ball. He also does a good job of avoiding sacks and taking care of the football. Great leader and tough as nails.

Rohirrim
11-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Clausen is one of the biggest, sniveling punks I've ever seen on a football field. He'd be worse than Phillip Rivers. Fortunately, I can depend on McD to do the right thing and build the lines first.

SoDak Bronco
11-10-2009, 07:55 AM
I think people are really starting to see why Clausen was the #1 rated QB prospect out of highschool a few years back. I like the size of Bradford, but he needs to bulk up to take the NFL pounding. I'd probably lean towards Clausen, but I think McDaniels will have something else in mind.

gtown
11-10-2009, 08:04 AM
I think Clausen will end up being a good NFL QB. Bradford is one hit away from an annual IR trip, and the other QBs in the draft are all projects, which we already have. I doubt we go QB. Hopefully we can get an elite interior Olineman or a Mt. Cody or Eric Berry. But if we do go QB, I wanna get Clausen.

And no McCoy. That is a noodle arm.

Rabb
11-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Clausen maybe, but a big no to Bradford and especially McCoy, I just think those 2 will bust out

that said, stick with Tommy B please

watermock
11-10-2009, 08:08 AM
McCoy will be a star.

He has Joe Montana written all over hiim.

Denver724
11-10-2009, 08:19 AM
McCoy will be a star.

He has Joe Montana written all over hiim.

Agreed. By the way, did Alphonso Smith play last night? We traded our 2010 #1 for this guy? What an epic disappointment (that we don't have 2 #1's in what some say could be the deepest draft of all time).

SoDak Bronco
11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Agreed. By the way, did Alphonso Smith play last night? We traded our 2010 #1 for this guy? What an epic disappointment (that we don't have 2 #1's in what some say could be the deepest draft of all time).

Can you give the guy a few years before you call him an EPIC disappointment...geezz slow down

ColoradoBuff
11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
give me Clausen!!!!!!

Elway777
11-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I think the Broncos take Clausen because he plays in a offence just like Denver runs. I think McDaniels might of even leaned the Offence from Weiss.

HorseHead
11-10-2009, 09:39 AM
pass on Bradford...he's a huge project, and I don't feel like waiting three years..

go_broncos
11-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Based on what i saw, Brandstater will be a great QB..

lex
11-10-2009, 09:48 AM

Why would he not like Brandstater?

strafen
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I doubt we will have the chance to get the best QB available.The teams that are now in contention to draft earlier than us have QB issues: the Rams, Redskins, 49ers, Titans, Cleveland, Raiders, Dolphins, Browns.Notice that I said, they have QB issues, not that they necessarily need a QB, but it's close....

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Why would he not like Brandstater?

In two weeks we will be 6-4, exclusively due to our poor offensive play

McD will change to Simms then. If we do not begin to play well on offense after Simms comes in--we may very well get our chance to see Tom B play this season---I liked what he did in the pre-season--but I think that Clausen can be DYNAMIC--I am not so sure about Tom B being more than a steady QB...........

lex
11-10-2009, 10:01 AM

McD will change to Simms then. If we do not begin to play well on offense after Simms comes in--we may very well get our chance to see Tom B play this season---I liked what he did in the pre-season--but I think that Clausen can be DYNAMIC--I am not so sure about Tom B being more than a steady QB...........

What makes you so confident Clausen will be dynamic and not Brandstater? Furthermore, what makes you so confident Clausen will be "dynamic" considering its taken him two years to really come around? If it takes him 2 years to get up to speed with the college game, what makes you think there wont be a pronounced learning curve in the pros?

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I doubt we will have the chance to get the best QB available.The teams that are now in contention to draft earlier than us have QB issues: the Rams, Redskins, 49ers, Titans, Cleveland, Raiders, Dolphins, Browns.Notice that I said, they have QB issues, not that they necessarily need a QB, but it's close....

The Niners won't be drafting before us(Chicago's pick)--maybe not the Dolphins either--but the others very well could be........I hope that Clausen falls.....

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
What makes you so confident Clausen will be dynamic and not Brandstater? Furthermore, what makes you so confident Clausen will be "dynamic" considering its taken him two years to really come around? If it takes him 2 years to get up to speed with the college game, what makes you think there wont be a pronounced learning curve in the pros?

Clausen began to come on late last year.(minus that USC debacle) I'm sure that you have seen your fair share of ND games this year--he takes games OVER with his passing.......and has a rather dramatic flare for come backs.....

I have seen Tom B play--albeit in limited pre-season action--but I just don't think that if he had 'IT'--that McD wouldn't have already named Tom as the backup........It's a complete projection--just a hunch--nothing more--I just think that Clausen has a better pedigree for what that's worth........

bpc
11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
We can't count on Brandstater yet. He hasn't done anything outside of a preseason game. What Denver needs is some talented young arms to come in and compete for the job, so yes, i'm definitely in favor of adding a young QB through the draft.

The draft is deeper than usual this year at the position so picking around 15 should land us somebody.

Clausen has a hose on his arm. He's being well-versed in a pro type offense in Notre Dame and he's gotten better every year he's played. He's having a great season this year despite ND's troubles. That being said, he'll be a top 5 draft pick for Washington, St. Louis or whomever is draft up there.

Next most hyped QB's will be Jake Locker, Colt McCoy, and Sam Bradford.

Locker is highly athletic but erratic at this point with his passing. He's a guy who is going to have to sit for a season or two.

McCoy seems like a winner but you can definitely tell the arm strength isn't that great, especially on throws 15-30 yds down the field. His athletic ability is good.

Bradford is a statue in the pocket. He's great at reading defenses, has good arm strength but we've never really seen him play with any heat in his face until this season and he's gone down twice with injuries. I'm leery of taking a guy with a busted shoulder.

Here's the list of who we could be looking at:

2010 Class:

1. Colt McCoy
2. Tim Tebow
3. Tony Pike
4. Dan LeFavour
5. Jarrett Brown
6. John Skellton
7. Tim Hiller
8. Zac Robinson
9. Max Hall
10. Mike Kafka
11. Ryan Perrileaux
12. Jonathan Crompton

2011 Class:

1. Sam Bradford *declared*
2. Jimmy Clausen
3. Jake Locker
4. Jevan Snead
5. Christian Ponder
6. Case Keenum

Rohirrim
11-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Has it occurred to anybody that if, and that's a big if, McD goes after a QB, it won't be in the first, second, or even third round. Probably more like the fifth. At least, that's if the NE paradigm holds up. More likely, he looks around for available vets that he thinks would play better for him than where they are playing.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
NO to bradford. Christ, the guy can't stay healthy against BYU. That's bad news.

Yes to Jimmy Clausen if we can get him.

I'd be game for McCoy as well; I like his play.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0-plpEHcUs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0-plpEHcUs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Clausen. Great arm.

bpc
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
McD can do what he thinks is best but clearly, the biggest difference on the field the last two weeks has been teams that have invested in their QB play vs. Denver, who has not.

Big Ben and Flacco are two 1st round QB's and they played like it against us. When the defenses were even, those guys set them apart and well... we had Kyle Orton.

bpc
11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
NO to bradford. Christ, the guy can't stay healthy against BYU. That's bad news.

Yes to Jimmy Clausen if we can get him.

I'd be game for McCoy as well; I like his play.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0-plpEHcUs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0-plpEHcUs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Clausen. Great arm.

Clausen has a great arm which is why he's gonna be a top 3 pick. Unfortunately he'll never last until our pick.

meangene
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Dude started as a true freshman coming off shoulder surgery and spent the first two years of his career running for his life behind a porous offensive line and no running game. It wasn't so much him coming around slowly as the fact that the team sucked. He now has three years in a pro-style offense very similar to what we run in Denver with all the same responsibilities at the QB position. I don't expect a pronounced learning curve. Plus, we have a defense and some pretty good skill position players in place.

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Clausen has a great arm which is why he's gonna be a top 3 pick. Unfortunately he'll never last until our pick.

Quit ruining my wet dream..........

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Fonzie had better take over for Champ next year ($$$)too.......not having that 2nd 1st rounder hurts

Broncoman13
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Has it occurred to anybody that if, and that's a big if, McD goes after a QB, it won't be in the first, second, or even third round. Probably more like the fifth. At least, that's if the NE paradigm holds up. More likely, he looks around for available vets that he thinks would play better for him than where they are playing.

I agree with the looking around for a vet part. Not sure you can count on him taking a QB late just b/c that is what they did in NE.

The Broncos could do a number of different things, including throwing a draft pick to the Iggles for Kolb. I think that would be a move similar to the Texans trade for Schaub.

Hopefully the OL market will stay open with guys like Mankins and Evans hitting the free agent market.

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree with the looking around for a vet part. Not sure you can count on him taking a QB late just b/c that is what they did in NE.

The Broncos could do a number of different things, including throwing a draft pick to the Iggles for Kolb. I think that would be a move similar to the Texans trade for Schaub.

Hopefully the OL market will stay open with guys like Mankins and Evans hitting the free agent market.

McNABB will be MCGONE after this season---book it. The coaching staff has seen LIVE in game situations what they have with Kolb, not practice, not pre-season, but live GAME situations--they are not letting him get away.......they are simply playing locker room politics by keeping him in

Rohirrim
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM

If I had to put money down on a guess, it would be that McD goes after Mankins - hard. Mankins would clear up a lot of his headaches, especially the run game. NE averages 5.7 ypc running behind Logan. Mankins and Clady on that left side would be formidable. Mankins is from California. He might find living in the West, and closer to home, more to his liking.

gtown
11-10-2009, 11:24 AM
McNABB will be MCGONE after this season---book it. The coaching staff has seen LIVE in game situations what they have with Kolb, not practice, not pre-season, but live GAME situations--they are not letting him get away.......they are simply playing locker room politics by keeping him in

Kolb has been shaky at best. They would be crazy to get rid of McNabb.

bpc
11-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Denver just needs to get another young arm in the pipeline and start developing them the way that NE used to. You would always see them have two or three guys in the pipe at one time.

Brandstater may be a stud... but am I willing to hedge on that bet with no competion and Orton as the alternative? No.

I don't care if it takes a 1st rounder. We need some pedigree at the QB spot, the most important position on the field.

RhymesayersDU
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
QUOTE=Rohirrim;2636472]Clausen is one of the biggest, sniveling punks I've ever seen on a football field. He'd be worse than Phillip Rivers. Fortunately, I can depend on McD to do the right thing and build the lines first.[/QUOTE]

So he'd be a top 5 QB? Awesome! Draft him!

Rohirrim
11-10-2009, 11:51 AM
QUOTE=Rohirrim;2636472]Clausen is one of the biggest, sniveling punks I've ever seen on a football field. He'd be worse than Phillip Rivers. Fortunately, I can depend on McD to do the right thing and build the lines first.

So he'd be a top 5 QB? Awesome! Draft him!

Ha! He looks pretty good, but I can't stand the punk

gyldenlove
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't like Notre Damers much, so I would prefer Bradford over Clausen.

gyldenlove
11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Bradford has one thing that is very valuable, accuracy. He has completed 69% of his passes in both his freshman and sophomore years, that is very rare. Clausen on the other hand has struggled to break 60 (and didn't break 60 in either of his first 2 years).

Bigdawg26
11-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I would go for either McCoy (who has a spread offense experience and a pretty good athlete) or Clausen but I doubt he will be there though.

Mountain Bronco
11-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't stand Clausen's whinny personality and style. I also think he is orerrated, but that probably means we will end up with him.

Mountain Bronco
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Also, we need a left guard in the draft, BAD. Use the top pick on the oline.

SoonerBronco
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I think Clausen will end up being a good NFL QB. Bradford is one hit away from an annual IR trip, and the other QBs in the draft are all projects, which we already have. I doubt we go QB. Hopefully we can get an elite interior Olineman or a Mt. Cody or Eric Berry. But if we do go QB, I wanna get Clausen.

And no McCoy. That is a noodle arm.

As is any NFL player. Brees came back from a torn labrum and rotator cuff. Bradford had a 3 degree sprain that he reaggrevated.

Bradford will be a star in the league wherever he goes.

I wish I could still find the thread that was "who would you draft, Adrian Peterson or Reggie Bush" a few years ago. Most of the experts here agreed that Bush was the better choice. Funny that most of those guys would say that the Vikings are stupid because they don't give the best player in the league the ball enough... :)

oubronco
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
as is any nfl player. Brees came back from a torn labrum and rotator cuff. Bradford had a 3 degree sprain that he reaggrevated.

Bradford will be a star in the league wherever he goes.

I wish i could still find the thread that was "who would you draft, adrian peterson or reggie bush" a few years ago. Most of the experts here agreed that bush was the better choice. Funny that most of those guys would say that the vikings are stupid because they don't give the best player in the league the ball enough... :)

exactly

GoBroncos84
11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I'll take Tim Tebow if he is on the board and the choice is up to me. Clausen would be great, but he will be long gone. Perhaps good riddance given the attitude and ego he has, though I am only basing that off of perception and rumor. Obviously I don't know the guy. But I would bank on Tebow becoming a superstar at QB, and he has the right attitude. He could have the same leadership qualities that Brian Dawkins has. Seeing him in orange and blue has been a dream for a couple seasons now. I know some people don't think he can play QB at the next level, but I am not one of those people.

Doggcow
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I'll take Tim Tebow if he is on the board and the choice is up to me. Clausen would be great, but he will be long gone. Perhaps good riddance given the attitude and ego he has, though I am only basing that off of perception and rumor. Obviously I don't know the guy. But I would bank on Tebow becoming a superstar at QB, and he has the right attitude. He could have the same leadership qualities that Brian Dawkins has. Seeing him in orange and blue has been a dream for a couple seasons now. I know some people don't think he can play QB at the next level, but I am not one of those people.

I LOVE TEBOW! He will be a stud. Much like Roethlisberger. He is a WINNER. Clausen's claim to fame is losing by 7 to USC!

Not to mention Tebow can stay alive in the pocket. His mechanics need some work, but not badly enough to sway my opinion. He is one of the greatest people to ever play the game, talent and character wise.

Rohirrim
11-10-2009, 03:48 PM
If Tebow tries to take the same hits in the pros that he takes in college, he won't last a season.

FantomForce
11-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Jake Locker will come out this year and we will draft him, and he will lead us to the promise land

oubronco
11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Jake Locker will come out this year and we will draft him, and he will lead us to the promise land

All Hail Looker

bombay
11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Clauson is a joke. I like Bradford, but is his shoulder going to pop out easily for the rest of his career?

55CrushEm
11-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Wow.....you actually think we're going to lose to the Redskins? I know you hate McD and all.....but that's a stretch, even for you.

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I LOVE TEBOW! He will be a stud. Much like Roethlisberger. He is a WINNER. Clausen's claim to fame is losing by 7 to USC!

Not to mention Tebow can stay alive in the pocket. His mechanics need some work, but not badly enough to sway my opinion. He is one of the greatest people to ever play the game, talent and character wise.

I am a huge Gator fan --since the Shane Matthews/Spurrier days--I can tell you this--Tebow's game DOES NOT and WILL NEVER translate into a that of a consistent and successful NFL QB---his accuracy is subpar--he is somewhat fast but NOT QUICK enough to get to the edges of an NFL defense...

broncofan7
11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Wow.....you actually think we're going to lose to the Redskins? I know you hate McD and all.....but that's a stretch, even for you.

I do think we will lose. It isn't about McD--it's about ORTON and how he has turned this offense into a mid-bottom tier unit..........7 points and 3 points since the BYE week.........

denvernut1
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
dam do any of you would rather have tebow **** !!! he breaks tackles n runs n throws da ball n is a winner.. all these others r crap....n hes from da sec.. what else is their to say... but i rather take defense lineman first or linemen.. we get pushed around by bigger teams..

SoonerBronco
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Clauson is a joke. I like Bradford, but is his shoulder going to pop out easily for the rest of his career?

No, Dr. James Andrews took care of that for him. He will be fine and ready for the combine.

DBroncos4life
11-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Jerrod Johnson if he comes out.

Br0nc0Buster
11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I am lukewarm on Clausen
I wouldnt mind Sneed or Locker

But Bradford scares me, and I will literally throw up if they draft Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy, but I know they are not that dumb to spend a high pick on either of them

I will be shocked if they spend a high pick on a qb though

Mr.Meanie
11-10-2009, 05:31 PM
dam do any of you would rather have tebow **** !!! he breaks tackles n runs n throws da ball n is a winner.. all these others r crap....n hes from da sec.. what else is their to say... but i rather take defense lineman first or linemen.. we get pushed around by bigger teams..

Seriously? This isn't twitter...

~Crash~
11-10-2009, 06:26 PM

And so should the browns try again . Clausen will be a Brown

SoCalBronco
11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I would prefer Locker. He's raw, but has alot bigger athletic upside than Bradford or Clausen. For the people that are obsessed with the special "it" factor, he's got tons of that, too.

tsiguy96
11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
ive asked this a few times no one really knows:

dan lefevoure from central michigan

anyone know anyhting? seeing his name popping up more as a high ranked QB

~Crash~
11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
ive asked this a few times no one really knows:

dan lefevoure from central michigan

anyone know anyhting? seeing his name popping up more as a high ranked QB

I seen him play 5 times he has strong arm looks a lot like our 6th round pick this year TBO..

tsiguy96
11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I seen him play 5 times he has strong arm looks a lot like our 6th round pick this year TBO..

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/-18.-Dan-LeFevour.html

they have him as first or 2nd, draftscout has him as 4th best QB...

they say hes got moxie. draft him.

DBroncos4life
11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I would prefer Locker. He's raw, but has alot bigger athletic upside than Bradford or Clausen. For the people that are obsessed with the special "it" factor, he's got tons of that, too.

He would be my second choice, but Jerrod Johnson is by far and away the best QB no one talks about in college.

ro_50
11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Has it ever occurred to anyone that McD likes these tall, 6-4, 6-5 quarterbacks who rely more on intelligence than athletic ability.

I'm not saying guys like Clausen or Locker are not intelligent qbs, because they seem to be from what I've seen, but McDaniels likes these 6-4, 6-5 guys.

DBroncos4life
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Has it ever occurred to anyone that McD likes these tall, 6-4, 6-5 quarterbacks who rely more on intelligence than athletic ability.

I'm not saying guys like Clausen or Locker are not intelligent qbs, because they seem to be from what I've seen, but McDaniels likes these 6-4, 6-5 guys.

My guy is 6'5" 240 pounds and takes care of the ball very, very well. He just needs to enter the NFL draft this year :) Both Jake Locker and Jimmy Clausen are listed at 6'3" so its not like they are that far off.

wandlc
11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I do not like Tom B., I had to watch him choke when it came time to win a game in the second half for 4 years at Fresno State. And just when I thought I was rid of him the Broncos draft him and now I have to live with the possibility of watching him again. Although I will say this, he does have a lot stronger arm than Orton and can actually throw the deep out without praying that B Marshall is going to be able to rip the ball away from the DB.

HAT
11-10-2009, 08:38 PM
For QBOTF:

Wait for the Andrew Luck/Matt Barkley class. We'll know by then if Brandstater has amounted to anything or not.

SoonerBronco
11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Bradford fits the McD QB profile quite well. Be shocked if we took him though.

Meck77
03-11-2010, 08:08 AM
My guy is 6'5" 240 pounds and takes care of the ball very, very well. He just needs to enter the NFL draft this year :) Both Jake Locker and Jimmy Clausen are listed at 6'3" so its not like they are that far off.

Turns out he's not so intelligent.

Wonderlic scores are in.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/paper-tim-tebow-lags-behind-other-top-qb-prospects-on-wonderlic/1