PDA

View Full Version : We need a offensive coordinator calling plays

lostknight
11-09-2009, 10:29 PM
We need a offensive coordinator calling plays, Someone who Josh can double-guess, and someone he can fire.

Look, Josh has proved his mettle making the hard decisions. The failure today was clearly on the offense, just like it was last week. Being unable to adapt and score more then 3 points offensively in three quarters to say nothing about the complete lack of any creditable threat.

Just like Shanny surged, and then was undercut by the ineffective defense, resulting in the collapse of the team, McDaniel's is repeating the process, this time with the offense dropping the best of the NFL defense, instead of the best in NFL offense.

There are three huge problems the way I see them:

1) A complete lack of any rhythm in the offense. This has been evident since the very first moment of pre-season. This is actually the biggest problem. A good chemistry was starting Eddie Royal, then with Marshall, but Orton + McDaniels never figured out how to play the effectiveness of both receivers into something tangible.

2) Yes, Orton has (had) been a great keeper of the football. But keeping the football is the antithesis of scoring. To score more, you need to risk more, and today Orton was clearly not be able to handle the risk/reward.

3) The gap schemes for the running game did not work last week or this week. The logic for changing from a ZBS to a gap scheme was to improve on the YPC. Even before tonight's massacre of the running game, the 4.2 ypc compared poorly with last's years 4.8 which itself was brutalized by the devastation visited upon our RB's.

The offensive is the very definition of conservative. That is to win the game by not giving it away, rather then by simply winning the game. You see that both a passing offense that is designed not to throw interceptions at the cost of allowing other teams to squat routes, and in a running game designed not to get squished behind the line, but was unable to get any purchase today.

We need a head coach focused on head coaching, and a offensive coordinator focused on coordinating. This is part of the reason I really objected to loosing Jeremy Bates. (the other being that Cutler would inevitably leave, which also turned out to be true).

As far as Orton goes, I'm not yet ready to call for Orton's benching. But a loss next week would do it for me.

Killericon
11-09-2009, 10:30 PM
McDaniels is the ONLY reason our offense has been good enough to win 6 games

mhgaffney
11-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, I will say it.

It's time to bench Orton and bring up Simms or preferabl;y Brandstater.

Orton is never going to be any better than he is right now. He can't handle pressure - and now the whole league knows it. From now on it will be a feeding frenzy.

It gets ugly from here....

lostknight
11-09-2009, 10:39 PM
In what world is McDaniels the only reason our offense has been good enough? We were second in the NFL yards/g last year. We are dropping into the bottom third of the NFL with this game tonight.

Part of the reason I think Orton gets one more week, is because it will get very very ugly.

Again, Time to bring back the fullback, go back to ZBS, and find a way to get the offense in gear. Someone needs to be able to tell McDaniels his system isn't working currently and how to fix it.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I think youre overreacting...lets see how the team responds the next three weeks.

lostknight
11-10-2009, 07:22 AM
We need these problems fixed before we see New York and the Colts. The chargers schedule was easier then ours the moment the season started simply because of the split of home/away games. We need to win these games to compete. Pure and simple.

ElwayMD
11-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Dan Snyder is that you?