PDA

View Full Version : Officiating Tonight

bloodsunday
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Not saying that it costs us the game, because it obviously didn't.

But the last two weeks were pretty poor by the men in stripes. I could not believe the holding call that wiped out our 4th down conversion. I saw Pittsburgh's o-line make ten holding calls more obvious than that. I also thought that both challenges regarding fumbles (Gaffney's and Mendenhal's) were bad calls. Mendenhal clearly lost possession before he hit the ground. I also thought the non-roughing call on the punter at the end of the half was blown.

Last week Denver was constantly begging for calls and getting them.. usually several seconds after the play. Even though it helped us, it drives me crazy. And then to see freakn' Dan Dierdorf replay every one of them 10 times and openly lobby for the Ravens made me crazy!!!

sgbfan
11-09-2009, 10:12 PM
gaffney was borderline, but I was pissed at the mendenhall one. I was more upset at McDaniels for calling Time outs to let them score. The team had given up long before that.

troya900
11-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes, that "noncatch" catch really infuriated me. He caught the d@mn ball obviously and it was stripped, yet when a similar type play happened with moreno last week it stands as a fumble it's a bunch of BS.

strafen
11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
That was irrelevant. The game wasn't that close to even be a factor...

broncolife
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I liked the interception call on the kick return

sgbfan
11-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes, that "noncatch" catch really infuriated me. He caught the d@mn ball obviously and it was stripped, yet when a similar type play happened with moreno last week it stands as a fumble it's a bunch of BS.

The thing about last week was that it was called a catch on the field. I do agree that it was a catch by Gaffney though. Both feet on the ground with possetion.

Williams
11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I liked the interception call on the kick return

I was embarrassed for the whole officiating crew at that point. The crazy thing about that one was Tomlin getting all pissed on the sideline when every call up to that point went Pittsburgh's way.

Another thing... does anyone want to take a stab at the difference between 'roughing the kicker' and 'running into the kicker'? We've been royally screwed on two of those straight official perception calls already this year. Even Gruden was commenting on it, like "there's no difference!"

CSU Husker
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Another thing... does anyone want to take a stab at the difference between 'roughing the kicker' and 'running into the kicker'? We've been royally screwed on two of those straight official perception calls already this year. Even Gruden was commenting on it, like "there's no difference!"

If that wasnt roughing tonight, then Im not sure what is. Looked like a pretty hard hit, by punting standards. No surprise Pitt got a bailout on that tho.

GreeleyGrizzley
11-09-2009, 11:13 PM
And I can't even recall ever seeing that head ref ever before in my life. Didn't even have his mic turned on, poor officiating all around, but the saddest part of all is it didn't really matter.

Williams
11-09-2009, 11:17 PM
the saddest part of all is it didn't really matter.

I agree.

Jekyll15Hyde
11-09-2009, 11:17 PM
it really has been 2 bad weeks in a row for the men in stripes. Clearly didnt lose the game for Denver but poor nonetheless. Pitt seemed to be holding early and often and I dont think they got called once.

boltaneer
11-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Ty Law was still mugging receivers like it was 2002.

Not all the officiating went Denver's way. ;)

Bronco Yoda
11-09-2009, 11:20 PM
First off we got our butts kicked and deserved the loss. Hats off to the Steelers.

But yah, none of the calls were going our way tonight. IMO that was a fumbled at the end as well.

Steve Sewell
11-09-2009, 11:21 PM

Just wait until he get's his hands on (Insert Charger's 3rd receiver's name) in a couple weeks!!! :rofl:

Williams
11-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Hey, arent you the troll that was whining about Scheffler in the Den/SD game? What did you think of your boy V Jackson crying to the refs for a flag on several (good coverage) occasions yesterday?

*My apologies if it was someone else.

DHallblows
11-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Hey, arent you the troll that was whining about Scheffler in the Den/SD game? What did you think of your boy V Jackson crying to the refs for a flag on several (good coverage) occasions yesterday?

*My apologies if it was someone else.

It was 400 who said that I'm afraid

The 3 Chargers fans on this board (that weren't actually Raiders fans before 2005) are easy to mix up, don't you fret. But Bolt agreed with him in that thread, too. So technically your point still stands :thumbsup:

MOCRUSH
11-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Best call of all was the block in the back on No. 68 during the run back when Denver intercepted. Check out the replay and sure enough right on the twenty yard line No. 68 drills No. 91 square in the back....other than marking it off against the Broncos when it was a Steelers player who committed the foul the Refs were right on.

BTW can anyone explain the difference in the shots to the head of a receiver that Lynch got fined and warned against repeating v. Colts and what Buck took at the end of the game that got no flag and was celebrated by the announcing crew?

watermock
11-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Regarding the shot on Buck, I guess i'ss ok to detroy if he's a ball carrier, once your a runner fair gaame.
Regardless, it should of been unnesissary roughness.

They had anoither call therer.

watermock
11-10-2009, 04:29 AM
I can't type well. sorry, I'm crippled.

Garcia Bronco
11-10-2009, 06:21 AM

You are right. That ref crew had no business callig a professional game.

loborugger
11-10-2009, 06:36 AM

I would agree with that. It appeared to me in the first quarter (cuz I dont think the first penalty was called until the 2nd quarter) that they were just "lettin' 'em play." There was a couple of plays by both sides that looked like they deserved a flag.

However, the call that really hurt, the call you wanna have back was the holding call on the 4th down. At that point in the game, Denver was moving the ball fairly well - certainly better than Pittsburg - the game was still in doubt, and with football being a game of emotion and momentum that was a biggie. Had we been able to capitalize on that drive the game might have ended differently.

kappys
11-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I would agree with that. It appeared to me in the first quarter (cuz I dont think the first penalty was called until the 2nd quarter) that they were just "lettin' 'em play." There was a couple of plays by both sides that looked like they deserved a flag.

However, the call that really hurt, the call you wanna have back was the holding call on the 4th down. At that point in the game, Denver was moving the ball fairly well - certainly better than Pittsburg - the game was still in doubt, and with football being a game of emotion and momentum that was a biggie. Had we been able to capitalize on that drive the game might have ended differently.

The problem was that it was a clear hold, possibly the worst in the game. Not to say that Pitts O-line wasn't holding us, they clearly were but that one was on Hamilton and obvious.

The roughing versus running into the kicker call was a bad one. But perhaps Gruden is right and they really just need to change the rule. Maybe split the difference 10 yards and no automatic first down.--

We got jobbed on the Mendenhall fumble but it was too late at that point anyway.

WolfpackGuy
11-10-2009, 07:51 AM
The only play I blame the refs for was the first INT.

He knocked Moreno off his route which led to 6 the other way.

Get the fug out of the way, ref!

Garcia Bronco
11-10-2009, 07:52 AM

He was also illegally contacted by the Steeler NT.

rbackfactory80
11-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I never even mention the refs except last night. Those guys were an embarrassment. Pitt fumbled and shouldn't of scored the last touchdown and that holding call leads to at least three points. That right there is a ten point swing.

PRBronco
11-10-2009, 08:13 AM
He was also illegally contacted by the Steeler NT.

Haha yeah, Gruden was jizzing his pants over that play. You can't do what Hoke did ffs!

MplsBronco
11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
For the life of me I don't know how they could say that was not a catch by gaffney. It's shiat like that that drives me nuts about the nfl. Whatever happened to two feet down equals possession. They are splitting hairs with this instant replay crap of what happens frame by frame. Gaffney had possession and as he was going down fumbled. Had it been in the middle of the field it should have been ruled a fumble. Friggen drives me insane. Makes Hamilton hold a moot point.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-10-2009, 10:36 AM

Only took the entire first thread to get to my major complaint.

First of all, at the very least, that was illegal contact downfield on Moreno. At worst, it was Pass Interferance. He knocked Moreno right into the ref, and Kyle threw the ball to the right spot, where Moreno would have been had he not been chipped. Unreal non-call that was a MAJOR swing in momentum.

Not saying it would have made a difference, but still. That's basic.

The "incomplete pass" review was a joke too. It was an incomplete pass. I could see that from Sec. 521. Arm moving forward, ball out of hand, ball bounces backwards, refs call it a fumble. We had to review it just to get reasonable field position to punt.

Again. BASIC.

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
It's not just a coincidence that these bull**** calls always seem to follow the Steelers. Hell, they stole a SuperBowl from the Seahawks that way.

Blart
11-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Man I hated listening to Dierdorf. If he ever announces again I'm going with mute.

tsiguy96
11-10-2009, 06:45 PM

someone on twitter, dont know who, commented that hamilton wasnt holding, he simply got ran the **** over. its exactly what happened too.

missingnumber7
11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
For the life of me I don't know how they could say that was not a catch by gaffney. It's shiat like that that drives me nuts about the nfl. Whatever happened to two feet down equals possession. They are splitting hairs with this instant replay crap of what happens frame by frame. Gaffney had possession and as he was going down fumbled. Had it been in the middle of the field it should have been ruled a fumble. Friggen drives me insane. Makes Hamilton hold a moot point.

And a football move..mwhhich didn't happen

MplsBronco
11-10-2009, 09:54 PM

exactly, what the f is a football move? Making it far too complicated. Should be two feet period but he did possess it, turn to the sideline, get two feet down and the steeler punched it out. pretty simple to me.

_Oro_
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
This was my gripe with the officiating. They missed a number of calls and not a single call went our way. Unlike the Ravens game where we had a quite few calls in our favor. My gripe with the announcing/producing of the game was that they were showing the missed calls blatantly on instant replay and none of the announcers said anything.

missingnumber7
11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
This was my gripe with the officiating. They missed a number of calls and not a single call went our way. Unlike the Ravens game where we had a quite few calls in our favor. My gripe with the announcing/producing of the game was that they were showing the missed calls blatantly on instant replay and none of the announcers said anything.

I tried putting a $50 under the door when I was on the tour on Saturday but the tour lady stopped me.

misturanderson
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Didn't they change that rule to "possess the ball for a moment" or some garbage after the big deal in the colts-steelers playoff game when Polamalu fumbled the ball?

Man-Goblin
11-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I knew there was no way they were overturning the Gaffney catch on Monday. They've been pretty consistent all year that you have to maintain control of the ball after you hit the ground; whether you're in the end zone or out of bounds or whatever.

It's definitely confusing because it a major change in rules but it was never announced. It was a catch in the past, and I would even wager it was a catch last year.