PDA

View Full Version : Just to keep a LITTLE Perspective

SonOfLe-loLang
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
At the beginning of the year, most were b****ing that the broncos wouldn't win four games and that we traded away a top five pick.

Now, most are b****ing that we aren't super bowl contenders. We got beat by two physical teams that are better than we are.

If we lose to Washington, then feel free to b**** all you want.

But just recall that the conversation from start of the year to now has changed.

DarkHorse
11-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I was one who thought we would only win 6 games max so right now i'm still feeling pretty good.

Tough defensive teams that we've lost to, they've both made our offense look very very bad.

Rohirrim
11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh no. Reason. The one element this board cannot stand. Run away! Ha!

These were two, highly instructive games. The Broncos are not good enough. Yet. We need some more pieces. Nothing that we didn't already know.

tsiguy96
11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
its not so much that, this defense is absolutely playing wonderful for as long as they can be expected. offense or ST need to do SOMETHING to help this team win, and tehy arent.

also, its frustrating to see that the offense is not getting better as the year goes on, they are getting far, far worse. playcalling, running game, pass protection, QB play. WR and TEs are only ones doing their jobs.

That One Guy
11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
If your baby is a retard and doesn't become a doctor, you aren't disappointed.

If your kid can ace his SATs but wants to smoke pot and pump gas, you'd be disappointed.

Before the season, we thought we'd have a team full of retarded kids.

Today, the team could've been smoking pot on the sidelines and done no worse.

Que
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh ya, I totally hear you. Okay, it is like this. It was 1am, and we thought we were going home with the fat girl. I mean, we were okay with that because hey, at least we were going home. Then, at 1:10am, this nice blond comes in and we're going home with her. Then at 1:20am this smoking hot redhead comes over and we're going home with her. Then at 1:30am, the smoking hot redhead starts making out with the nice blond... and we're going home with both of them. Now, it's 1:40am, the smoking redhead and nice blond are going home with your buddy and we're wondering where the fat chick is...

It is kinda like that.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
its not so much that, this defense is absolutely playing wonderful for as long as they can be expected. offense or ST need to do SOMETHING to help this team win, and tehy arent.

also, its frustrating to see that the offense is not getting better as the year goes on, they are getting far, far worse. playcalling, running game, pass protection, QB play. WR and TEs are only ones doing their jobs.

Offense has definitely taken a step back. But lets remember the last two teams we've played have been Pitt and Balt. We really match up poorly against both. Lets see how we do in Washington. But yes, the warts are showing.

SoCalBronco
11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Very fair point. 6-2 is still a stellar record, especially given the expectations. There's no need to be super angry or anything. We're not elite, but we are pretty solid, and that's ok. You can't win it all in one year, especially when you don't have talent at QB. We're making solid progress and we're still ahead of schedule. We're still clearly outperforming what we would be ordinarily expected to do and that's good enough for me, for now. I hope we don't extend Orton, but that is another matter altogether.

long beach bronco
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
The main reason we lost two in a row is because we did not throw down field which made life very easy for the ravens and steelers. Put Simms or Brandsfater in.

Ray Finkle
11-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Very fair point. 6-2 is still a stellar record, especially given the expectations. There's no need to be super angry or anything. We're not elite, but we are pretty solid, and that's ok. You can't win it all in one year, especially when you don't have talent at QB. We're making solid progress and we're still ahead of schedule. We're still clearly outperforming what we would be ordinarily expected to do and that's good enough for me, for now. I hope we don't extend Orton, but that is another matter altogether.

Who are you? What have you done to Socal?

atomicbloke
11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
The point is next years, our old D will be a year older. All our corners are getting very old. And we cut a your corner for a 35 year old on one leg....

McD has made terrible decisions with this team so far.... the 6-0 start overshadowed it for some time but now he has been exposed...

long beach bronco
11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Orton is a good guy and a good backup QB, he is not a playmaker and one who can carry a team on his back, he'll be the first to tell you that. We have way to many offense weapons to be this bad on offense. It all starts at QB.

SoCalBronco
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Who are you? What have you done to Socal?

Hey man....I still really wish Jay was here and I think we'd be the best team in the AFC with him at the controls, but we're still doing alright. Josh is doing as best as he can to hide Orton's numerous flaws. We'll get by alright in 2009. Right now, this is all gravy. It's obvious we're going to win at least 10 games and I am thrilled with that. Josh is still doing great. I'm not expecting to beat all these elite teams. I'm happy at 6-2. I'm trying to be more realistic these days. ;D

I'm more concerned with Sid going pointless in 4 games. He's obviously hurting, he almost missed the Columbus game a week or so ago, so they are obviously hiding an injury until Geno comes back. I think Sid will then take a few weeks off at that point.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
The point is next years, our old D will be a year older. All our corners are getting very old. And we cut a your corner for a 35 year old on one leg....

McD has made terrible decisions with this team so far.... the 6-0 start overshadowed it for some time but now he has been exposed...

He's also made some pretty damn good ones. Jeez, we are 6-2 and there's still plenty of football to play. Why don't we worry about this year before we concern ourselves with next season.

Rigs11
11-09-2009, 08:59 PM
No shet. Half the morons around here said we were gonna win 3 games.Now that were 6-2 they come out of the woodwork.My advice for Mcdaniels is strop it with the freaking screens on 3rd and 10!

Rohirrim
11-09-2009, 09:02 PM
No shet. Half the morons around here said we were gonna win 3 games.Now that were 6-2 they come out of the woodwork.My advice for Mcdaniels is strop it with the freaking screens on 3rd and 10!

McD is limited in what he can do. He learned that last week. This line cannot protect the QB enough to open up the playbook. That's just the facts. He's doing the best with what he has. But I guarantee you he goes looking for his Logan Mankins this off season.

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2009, 09:09 PM
If you had told me in July that the Broncos would start off this season 6-2, I'd have been ecstatic. If you had told me two weeks ago, when the Broncos were 6-0, that the Broncos would be 6-2 in two weeks, I think it's more than fair to not have the same reaction.

It's ok to be a little bummed out.

DenVa BroncHoos
11-09-2009, 09:16 PM
they called the next 5 the slaughterhouse five in the denver post 6 wks ago. I was hoping to win 3 of the 5. thats exactly what we did.

I wish we had been more aggressive at the end of the 1st half. next week is important to beat the portis-less redskins and then get ready for the joker rivers showdown.

Popps
11-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh no. Reason. The one element this board cannot stand. Run away! Ha!

These were two, highly instructive games. The Broncos are not good enough. Yet. We need some more pieces. Nothing that we didn't already know.

That sums it all up.

We're ahead of schedule in the rebuilding process. Tonight hurt, but c'mon... people who think this team is winning a SB this year are kidding themselves.

To me, even a playoff appearance is a massive success with the turnover we've had.

I love the style of football we're playing. We just need to crank up the offense a little and get the running game going. This **** doesn't happen overnight.

Once again, we were in this game through almost 3 quarters against a great team. We're playing quality football. We just have work to do, and players to add. (And develop.)

As you said, these hurt... but they were great lessons for this team.

ZONA
11-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Yes I'd say we are ahead of schedule on rebuilding the entire team as a whole but I still have to say the defense is much further ahead then the offense.

The biggest problem with this offense is it's not dynamic in any way. If we get behind against a team with a good defense, it's over. Our offense does not have the fire power.

And I'm gonna say it starts with this offensive line. There are a few weak links there and it's showing badly right now. There were NO holes for our RB's to run through at all. You have to give those guys somewhere to run. The game is won and lost in the trenches and our bigs up front have not done a good job run blocking the last 2 weeks at all.

watermock
11-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeah yeah....some of us said we might only win 5 games, including Popps and others.

Obviously, the D has responded, and if we had HALF the O we had last year, we would be a juggernaught.

watermock
11-09-2009, 11:42 PM

God, your so full of it.

I picked 5-6 wins, but NOONE expecteed D the to play near this well.

Mr.Meanie
11-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey man....I still really wish Jay was here and I think we'd be the best team in the AFC with him at the controls, but we're still doing alright. Josh is doing as best as he can to hide Orton's numerous flaws. We'll get by alright in 2009. Right now, this is all gravy. It's obvious we're going to win at least 10 games and I am thrilled with that. Josh is still doing great. I'm not expecting to beat all these elite teams. I'm happy at 6-2. I'm trying to be more realistic these days. ;D

This.

10-6 was considered a ridiculously homeristic prediction 2 months ago. Now with the Skins, the Chiefs (x2), the Chargers at home, and reeling Giants and Philly teams... we should still have a decent shot at that and a really good shot at the division.

watermock
11-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Certainly 6-0 raised expectations, and given how well the D has played, with good reason.

Now it's the unlikely offense that seems impotent.

We should still win the division, but I don't see much upside for this team.

I just don't see it now.

I used to. Just me.

broncocalijohn
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
The main reason we lost two in a row is because we did not throw down field which made life very easy for the ravens and steelers. Put Simms or Brandsfater in.

i think this answer is foolish as one, it is too late and two, throwing downfield doesnt equate to completions or wins. We are 6-2 and are a good team. We had a stretch of 6 games that started at Oakland and ended last night that was pretty damn tough (well, oakland not so). We went 4-2 in those games. Not bad at all. We beat two teams that are currently in first for their division and another in 2nd that we had not beat at their home in more than 3 years. We take care of Washington and let us see how we shape up with a much improved SD team (and Merriman is looking much better last two games). Like I stated before, who is bitching if we take also a Giants team that is reeling right now and can go 9-2 or maybe just 8-3?

long beach bronco
11-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Big physical teams like the Ravens and Steelers play sideline to sideline, you beat those teams by throwing down field, just look at their losses. When the second half started in both of our losses, both teams knew we were not going down field so they stacked the box constantly which elimenated both the running and the short passes. Orton had time to get the ball downfield, he wasn't looking downfield, he preffered the checkdowns and short screens which played right into their hands.

lex
11-10-2009, 05:10 AM
At the beginning of the year, most were b****ing that the broncos wouldn't win four games and that we traded away a top five pick.

Now, most are b****ing that we aren't super bowl contenders. We got beat by two physical teams that are better than we are.

If we lose to Washington, then feel free to b**** all you want.

But just recall that the conversation from start of the year to now has changed.

LOL. Like people need your permission to complain.

TonyR
11-10-2009, 05:48 AM
...but I don't see much upside for this team.

Look who's back posting after a couple of losses.

TonyR
11-10-2009, 05:49 AM
...and reeling Giants and Philly teams...

I don't know that the Eagles are "reeling". Outside of that debacle against the Raiders they've played well recently. They'll be favored to beat us at home, and probably will.

TonyR
11-10-2009, 05:54 AM
This game was frustrating for a lot of reasons.
We controlled the first half, moving the ball and stopping the Steelers, but couldn't score.
That pick six in the first quarter was a bad break, Buckhalter got his route disrupted by the ref, not Orton's fault.
We couldn't protect Orton and he doesn't handle pressure well and can't throw effectively on the move. He needs set feet to throw a good ball.
Couldn't even begin to run the ball.
Struggles to stop the run and to handle Roethlisberger's improvisation.
The replay call on the sideline Gaffney catch was dead wrong.
Moreno was disappointing. Doom was disappointing. Champ got beat a few times. The O-line, an assumed strength, is starting to look like a weakness.

Okay, glad I got some of that off my chest...