PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory 1st Round Pick Watch (Bears vs Cards)

Pages : 1 [2]

barryr
11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Hopefully Cutler fans are loving those picks he throws since they seem to miss that while with the Broncos.

Popps
11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Why would the Bears get a lot better with him? Aging defense, an offense that needs more talent, and no first round pick. And I'm not sure Shanahan would tether himself to Jay Cutler again. He's got to be smarter than that.

Funny to hear all of this, now. These same people were singing Chicago's praise during the off-season, telling us how Cutler alone would improve them and take pressure off their defense.

:rofl:

Now, it's all about the excuses...

bpc
11-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Yea. Great game. **** himself with the game on the line, again.

Suddenly, he needs a complete team around him. Here, I was told he was "the franchise" all off-season.

I guess by franchise, people meant... if he has a great team around him, he might not screw it up.

This guy is a marginal NFL QB with a strong arm. Nothing more.

Ha ha. Let the hate consume you my friend. Chicago loses so it doesn't matter. I watched the game. Cutler was on point when he wasn't getting sacked. Unfortunately the defense was terrible and the OL couldn't keep AZ off of him.

Jay will be fine. The Chicago situation this year reminds me of the pathetic situation Jay was in two years ago with Denver, when Pears and Lepsis were getting him destroyed each game, we had Glenn Martinez starting and our defense couldn't stop a fly.

In the meantime, we get a better 1st round pick so good for Denver.

Popps
11-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Wow, 2 minutes left and Haine isn't in there.

I guess they just figure they'd let their scrubs get some time.

BroncoDoug
wow, he just threw that up for grabs, he is falling apart himself

Garcia Bronco
REACH. If the Bears job comes open it's just too much of a perfect situation for him to pass I think. Jay's there, they have a great working relationship, it's his hometown team...

I wouldn't mind if Shanahan took the next year off. He deserves another year of paid salary after all he gave Denver. 2 Super Bowls, just two losing seasons. One of the ultimate winners at his profession.

Nope. He won't coach in Chicago. He won't coach in Dallas.

UberBroncoMan
Damnit that was ANOTHER free INT given away. Those two Cardinals screwed that up by bumping into each other.

Orange4Life
****ler is in melt down mode now

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Suddenly, he needs a complete team around him. Here, I was told he was "the franchise" all off-season.

I guess by franchise, people meant... if he has a great team around him, he might not screw it up.

Jay is still getting a pass from bears fans its everthing except jay.

Garcia Bronco

He's just not a complete QB and its a wonder if he ever will be.

TonyR
Funny to hear all of this, now. These same people were singing Chicago's praise during the off-season...

Yep, he was finally going to have a defense and a top shelf RB. It was the lack of these things that excused his losing in Denver.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Too bad Cutler was too busy whining his way out of a better situation...

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
jay almost picked again.

Popps
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Ha ha. Let the hate consume you my friend. Chicago loses so it doesn't matter. I watched the game. Cutler was on point when he wasn't getting sacked. .

Chicago losing doesn't matter?

Wow, have you totally gone over to the other side, now? You sound like SoCal, pre-meltdown. Bears fan now?

I watched the game, too. Well, actually I just watched some. The important part. He **** himself when the team had a chance to come back.

But, nothing new, there. He's put that team in terrible positions all season long. He just waited until late in the game to **** himself, this week.

Anyway, keep pooping games away, Jay! Get that pick up in the top 10 for us, buddy!

:thumbsup:

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Nice sack

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Why would the Bears get a lot better with him? Aging defense, an offense that needs more talent, and no first round pick. And I'm not sure Shanahan would tether himself to Jay Cutler again. He's got to be smarter than that.

None of that matters. When Shanahan inherited the Broncos, he had a last place defense in the NFL, and Denver didn't have a pick until the 4th round of the 95' draft. He managed to find Terrell Davis in the 6th round.

Chicago has a lot more weapons to work with. Good defensive front, solid LB's that have been injury prone, a stud at QB who needs to be coached up, talent at WR and HB. The OL has been horrible. He'll have to correct that.

Chicago would be wise to pick up Shanahan and he'll get them winning in no-time, just like he did Denver.

Gort
11-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Texans have the ball at their 45. 2nd and 1. 1:06 in the game. trailing Pumpkinhead 20-17.

upset in the making?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
None of that matters. When Shanahan inherited the Broncos, he had a last place defense in the NFL, and Denver didn't have a pick until the 4th round of the 95' draft. He managed to find Terrell Davis in the 6th round.

Chicago has a lot more weapons to work with. Good defensive front, solid LB's that have been injury prone, a stud at QB who needs to be coached up, talent at WR and HB. The OL has been horrible. He'll have to correct that.

Chicago would be wise to pick up Shanahan and he'll get them winning in no-time, just like he did Denver.

SHanahan probably won't go to Chicago. They don't like to pay big money, and Shan will DEMAND big money. he's going to have offers from DC, Dallas and CU. I think two out of those three are probably better fits for him, and I think he'd tolerate Snyder's BS if he paid him enough.

Garcia Bronco

Doubt it. The defensive game has passed Shanahan by. He won't get full control in Chicago or Dallas. He won't coach there. Now Bill Cowher might.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
SHanahan probably won't go to Chicago. They don't like to pay big money, and Shan will DEMAND big money. he's going to have offers from DC, Dallas and CU. I think two out of those three are probably better fits for him, and I think he'd tolerate Snyder's BS if he paid him enough.

He's already turned Washington down twice.

bpc
Chicago losing doesn't matter?

Wow, have you totally gone over to the other side, now? You sound like SoCal, pre-meltdown. Bears fan now?

I watched the game, too. Well, actually I just watched some. The important part. He **** himself when the team had a chance to come back.

But, nothing new, there. He's put that team in terrible positions all season long. He just waited until late in the game to **** himself, this week.

Anyway, keep pooping games away, Jay! Get that pick up in the top 10 for us, buddy!

:thumbsup:

Chicago loses so it doesn't matter to me really, Denver gets a better 1st rounder out of the deal.

Sure, I root for Jay. Not a Bears fan but he's got a ton of talent and the ability to be a great QB in this league. I'm also a Mike Shanahan fan. I hope he goes to Chicago to coach Jay up and help him get back to a pro bowl level he was at before both got ran out of Denver.

Gort

i think Shanny is a .500 coach at this point. i think the league has passed him by. i don't think he knows too much or cares too much about D and that will be his achilles heal anywhere he goes. also, the desire for complete control of everything and his inability to evaluate defensive players for the draft. and the risks he takes with troubled players.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 01:07 PM
How did we not beat these clowns in Baltimore

TheElusiveKyleOrton
Texans have the ball at their 45. 2nd and 1. 1:06 in the game. trailing Pumpkinhead 20-17.

upset in the making?

Don't you mean fetus head?

http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2005/113-8/fetus.jpg
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/05-08-2007.n1a_08QueenGuestsPeytonManning.G252520JQ.1.jp g

bpc

In the middle of the season. Somebody would have to be an idiot to take that job, at that time. It would be impossible to be successful.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 01:08 PM
In the middle of the season. Somebody would have to be an idiot to take that job, at that time. It would be impossible to be successful.

He was approached before the season. He won't coach for Synder.

Gort

99% of it was coaching FAIL.

R8R H8R

upset in the making?

Nope, fg is wide left.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 01:09 PM
99% of it was coaching FAIL.

I missed the game and didn't have the stomach to watch it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton

Yeah, in the middle of the season. Shanahan is not going to go to a team in the middle of the season and not be able to prepare. Period. He wants an off season and a training camp, and is not the type to jump into a situation any other way.

Fact: He is enamoured with Romo.
Fact: He and Jerruh Jones are friends.
Fact: Dallas has all its picks in next year's draft.
Fact: Jerruh will bring a dumptruck of cash over to SHan's house and dump it on his lawn.

bpc

If Chicago loses big this year after getting Cutler, I think that Angelo will do whatever it takes to look make it acquisition look successful. Jay loves Mike. Mike will probably bring Bates back as his OC.

Match made in heaven.

Garcia Bronco
Bye Bailtimore. You are done.

Gort
11-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Texans miss a 42yd FG as time expires. Pumpkinhead prevails 20-17. the forces of evil in the universe grow a bit stronger as a result.

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/04/09/images/02emperor350.jpg

TheElusiveKyleOrton

YOu have some proof that this actually happened?

Never heard that he was approached in the off season, especially since Zorn was already the head coach.

FAIL.

Garcia Bronco
Yeah, in the middle of the season. Shanahan is not going to go to a team in the middle of the season and not be able to prepare. Period. He wants an off season and a training camp, and is not the type to jump into a situation any other way.

Fact: He is enamoured with Romo.
Fact: He and Jerruh Jones are friends.
Fact: Dallas has all its picks in next year's draft.
Fact: Jerruh will bring a dumptruck of cash over to SHan's house and dump it on his lawn.

It's not going to happen. Ergo he waits another year.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Never heard that he was approached in the off season, especially since Zorn was already the head coach.

FAIL.

I know it for it a fact. Look...take your shanahan dreams to whatever team he coaches. You are just gonna have to wait.

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 01:11 PM

FAIL.

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?p=1097689

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/19/sources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Report-Shanahan-was-offered-and-turned-down-the?urn=nfl,196993

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:14 PM
i think Shanny is a .500 coach at this point. i think the league has passed him by. i don't think he knows too much or cares too much about D and that will be his achilles heal anywhere he goes. also, the desire for complete control of everything and his inability to evaluate defensive players for the draft. and the risks he takes with troubled players.

Mike's relationship with Slowik is the only problem holding him back.

For years Shanahan's team's fielded a competent defense with numerous defensive coordinators. What you saw at the was a team desperately in need of rebuilding which it never got until it was too late. Factor in career/life ending situations to numerous players from Wilson, to Mobley, to DWill among others and this team just got old, stale and untalented real quick.

Shanahan is still the coach that totally remade the Denver Broncos with his free agent acquisitions of Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Romo, Tyrone Braxton, Darrien Gordon, Keith Traylor and Ma'a Tanuvasa into a late 90's dynasty. It will be tough to give that distinction but he's still got it.

We'll see. It would be awesome to see him in Chicago with Jay. That would be fun to watch.

NFLBRONCO
11-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Our O doesn't scare ANYBODY with a solid D except us. I'm the only one on this board that thinks McD will totally revamp our O in offseason.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
I know it for it a fact. Look...take your shanahan dreams to whatever team he coaches. You are just gonna have to wait.

My shanahan dreams? WTF are you talking about?

Do you just make **** up? Is that your whole posting strategy?

Wherever he goes will be fine, and as long as he's not in the AFCW I don't really give a flying rat's ass.

Thanks for that proof by the way. Idiot.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?p=1097689

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/19/sources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Report-Shanahan-was-offered-and-turned-down-the?urn=nfl,196993

From the second link:

Sources have confirmed that the Washington Redskins recently tried to hire Mike Shanahan to replace Jim Zorn and Shanahan declined. The sources would not rule out the possibility that Shanahan would reconsider in the offseason.

"Shanahan told the franchise there was little he could do in the middle of the season for them and that changing coaches during the season in the NFL rarely works,'' a Redskins management source told FanHouse. "Several people that Dan Snyder trusts have suggested, if he makes a move, he should turn it over to secondary coach Jerry Gray. That could still happen.

So as you can see, he wasn't approached before the season.

Yes. "FAIL" indeed.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:17 PM

He's smart not to. There's no way to succeed under Snyder. He has his nasty fingers all over everything. I think Shanny is willing to cede the GM duties now that his resume has included it in Denver and he was vastly successful but it would have to be a situation where he can't worry about the owner getting into everything. He wouldn't get that in Washington and it would be tough in Dallas. Chicago might be a happy medium.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 01:18 PM
My shanahan dreams? WTF are you talking about?

Do you just make **** up? Is that your whole posting strategy?

Wherever he goes will be fine, and as long as he's not in the AFCW I don't really give a flying rat's ass.

Thanks for that proof by the way. Idiot.

LOL....33 just posted it for you.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-08-2009, 01:19 PM
lol....33 just posted it for you.

lol! And i debunked his myth with his own link! Lol

BroncoDoug
11-08-2009, 01:19 PM

they outplayed us in every facet of the game, but you have to give credit to Cincy, they are a very very good team this year.

Gort
11-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Mike's relationship with Slowik is the only problem holding him back.

For years Shanahan's team's fielded a competent defense with numerous defensive coordinators. What you saw at the was a team desperately in need of rebuilding which it never got until it was too late. Factor in career/life ending situations to numerous players from Wilson, to Mobley, to DWill among others and this team just got old, stale and untalented real quick.

Shanahan is still the coach that totally remade the Denver Broncos with his free agent acquisitions of Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Romo, Tyrone Braxton, Darrien Gordon, Keith Traylor and Ma'a Tanuvasa into a late 90's dynasty. It will be tough to give that distinction but he's still got it.

We'll see. It would be awesome to see him in Chicago with Jay. That would be fun to watch.

that was 10 years ago. 10 years is like a century in NFL years.

2003/2004/2005 playoff teams with defenses that got badly exposed in the playoffs.
2006/2007/2008 non-playoff teams with defense that got badly exposed in the regular season.

that's 6 years right there with no solution to the defensive problems. Shanny knew the D wasn't up to the task of beating teams like Indy, but couldn't/wouldn't solve the problem. sure, we got Champ and Lynch, but also the Browncos.

bombay
11-08-2009, 01:22 PM
No way in hell Shanahan would take on the massive rebuild in Chicago. He's also had time to sit back and look at what kind of player cutler really is.

If he decides not to just collect $7 M per season for doing nothing, he'll be in Dallas. That situation could fairly easily be turned into a REAL superbowl contender.

Garcia Bronco
He's smart not to. There's no way to succeed under Snyder. He has his nasty fingers all over everything. I think Shanny is willing to cede the GM duties now that his resume has included it in Denver and he was vastly successful but it would have to be a situation where he can't worry about the owner getting into everything. He wouldn't get that in Washington and it would be tough in Dallas. Chicago might be a happy medium.

I think he'll go to SD if anywhere with no AJ Smith.

Bronx33
lol! And i debunked his myth with his own link! Lol

It was no myth that snyder approched shanahan ( which was the original question) so i have no idea what you debunked.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM

2003/2004/2005 playoff teams with defenses that got badly exposed in the playoffs.
2006/2007/2008 non-playoff teams with defense that got badly exposed in the regular season.

that's 6 years right there with no solution to the defensive problems. Shanny knew the D wasn't up to the task of beating teams like Indy, but couldn't/wouldn't solve the problem. sure, we got Champ and Lynch, but also the Browncos.

Not true. I think Shanny tried many formula's and different DC's to get the job done. Shanahan was pinned by some salary cap restraints and bad luck. Ultimately Denver just couldn't overcome who will go down at one of the greatest QB's in NFL history, Peyton Manning. If not for NE, Indy probably has 2 or 3 super bowl championships already. Sure, folks can say Shanny sucked but that's what it was. Same thing happened to Cleveland with us in the 80's. If not for Denver, the Browns go to 2 or 3 super bowls.

broncofan7
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Our O doesn't scare ANYBODY with a solid D except us. I'm the only one on this board that thinks McD will totally revamp our O in offseason.

No you are not--I am certain that we will go in another direction @ QB, LG, C and #2WR.........

barryr
11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Way to pad your stats Cutler as your team gets its ass kicked at home. I know, it's not his fault. It never is.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I he'll go to SD if anywhere.

That would be a great location for him. I'd absolutely hate it. I hope Shanahan stays as far away from the AFC as possible. Maybe he wants to go head to head with Bowlen and McD.

Nobody coaches better with a chip on his shoulder than Mike. That's a thought which is painful for me to think about.

broncofan7
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
No way in hell Shanahan would take on the massive rebuild in Chicago. He's also had time to sit back and look at what kind of player cutler really is.

If he decides not to just collect $7 M per season for doing nothing, he'll be in Dallas. That situation could fairly easily be turned into a REAL superbowl contender.

All of this Dallas talk is SILLY. Dallas is a few plays away from being UNBEATEN. All Wade has to do is win one playoff game and he is back next year..........

brncs_fan
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/johncraig0880/GIFS/1253527918_referee_vs_helmet.gif

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-08-2009, 01:29 PM
It was no myth that snyder approched shanahan ( which was the original question) so i have no idea what you debunked.

The myth was that it happened before the season. It did not.

EVERYONE heard the rumors that Snyder had dinner with Shanahan a month ago. But Zorn was fully installed as HC in the pre season, and Snyder repeatedly said he was happy with his HC.

Obviously that changed, but my whole point was that Shan didn't decline the skins job because of Snyder. He declined because he wouldn't be prepared.

And Garcia says "it's a fact!" that Snyder talked to Shan in the off season, and it's not.

bpc

You don't think he knows what type of player he is after 3 years of coaching? Mike Shanahan GUSHED about Jay and his offense in his termination press conference. He stressed patience with the core offense and said they were a couple years from being great.

None of that matters now.

The same people tearing on Cutler would be saying the same thing about Aaron Rodgers, except Rodgers has better weapons than Jay. Fact is, without an OL that can keep a QB upright, you're gonna lose to bad teams and have irratic days at the office.

TonyR

I was thinking the same thing. He keeps talking about what Shanahan did in the 90's while forgetting what has happened since then. Living in the past.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He keeps talking about what Shanahan did in the 90's while forgetting what has happened since then. Living in the past.

Shanahan went 13-3 and hosted an AFC Championship game in 2005. Then his team got old in a hurry. Only reason we didn't go farther is because Shanny couldn't save his team from Plummer turning back into a left handed pumpkin.

bombay
11-08-2009, 01:33 PM
You don't think he knows what type of player he is after 3 years of coaching? Mike Shanahan GUSHED about Jay and his offense in his termination press conference. He stressed patience with the core offense and said they were a couple years from being great.

None of that matters now.

The same people tearing on Cutler would be saying the same thing about Aaron Rodgers, except Rodgers has better weapons than Jay. Fact is, without an OL that can keep a QB upright, you're gonna lose to bad teams and have irratic days at the office.

Erratic. And whatever. Shanahan isn't a fool and won't be going to an ugly situation in Chicago that likely hasn't bottomed yet.

broncocalijohn
11-08-2009, 01:34 PM
REACH. If the Bears job comes open it's just too much of a perfect situation for him to pass I think. Jay's there, they have a great working relationship, it's his hometown team...

I wouldn't mind if Shanahan took the next year off. He deserves another year of paid salary after all he gave Denver. 2 Super Bowls, just two losing seasons. One of the ultimate winners at his profession.

i agree. I think Shanahan was best for not jumping into any type of coaching job. He now can refresh and also see what he did wrong. I think if he still trust Jay, he would jump on the chance to be the Bears' coach.

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Shanahan went 13-3 and hosted an AFC Championship game in 2005. Then his team got old in a hurry. Only reason we didn't go farther is because Shanny couldn't save his team from Plummer turning back into a left handed pumpkin.

Yep plummer was a great regular season QB and pooped his pants in thr big games that what i didn't like about him i knew he couldn't get it over the top in a big game.

TonyR
Shanahan went 13-3 and hosted an AFC Championship game in 2005. Then his team got old in a hurry.

And this Bears team might be headed in a similar direction. Would he do better than Lovie? Yes, probably, particularly on the offensive side of the football. Would it be enough? Probably not. Particularly with Slowik running the D.

Gort
Not true. I think Shanny tried many formula's and different DC's to get the job done. Shanahan was pinned by some salary cap restraints and bad luck. Ultimately Denver just couldn't overcome who will go down at one of the greatest QB's in NFL history, Peyton Manning. If not for NE, Indy probably has 2 or 3 super bowl championships already. Sure, folks can say Shanny sucked but that's what it was. Same thing happened to Cleveland with us in the 80's. If not for Denver, the Browns go to 2 or 3 super bowls.

i don't think that's true. everything he tried seemed like a band-aid to me. he wasn't willing to construct a proper NFL defense from the ground up. he did the same with RB. he'd usually only draft RBs in later rounds feeling that anyone would work in our system. for awhile that worked. but when it didn't, he went out and got guys like Travis Henry. guys with issues.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:39 PM
And this Bears team might be headed in a similar direction. Would he do better than Lovie? Yes, probably, particularly on the offensive side of the football. Would it be enough? Probably not. Particularly with Slowik running the D.

Maybe. I think Shanahan comes back refreshed with an edge after a year off. Mike is just too much of a work-a-holic and if he has one flaw, it's that. He probably burned himself out in Denver.

Nevermind, two flaws. I hate Slowik. I think the world of Mike but I can't explain his love with this loser.

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I have no idea what mike sees in slowick.

atomicbloke
11-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Phillip Rivers > Jay Cutler

Gort
11-08-2009, 01:43 PM

i'm 80% with you on this. i think alot of the AFCC loss is on Plummer. but that defense couldn't stop PIT on any 3rd down. whether 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 18. it seemed like PIT converted every damned time. that's a red flag for me. that defense was not up to the task. there's only so much you can hide with smoke and mirrors (blitzes and schemes). if the D is not physical and can't get to the QB, you're not going to win in the NFL. Shanny likes to run a club med, not a legit training camp. the result is a D that isn't as physical. that's one of the things about Shanny that i don't think he would change, because i don't think he sees that it's wrong. but to me, that's also one of the reasons the game has passed him by.

WolfpackGuy
11-08-2009, 01:45 PM
i'm 80% with you on this. i think alot of the AFCC loss is on Plummer. but that defense couldn't stop PIT on any 3rd down. whether 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 18. it seemed like PIT converted every damned time. that's a red flag for me. that defense was not up to the task.

Pittsburgh repeatedly picking up the blitz was the killer in that game.
Well, that and Plummer's errors.
Coyer should've backed off and played it straight up.

fontaine
11-08-2009, 01:47 PM
So when Kyle Orton doesn't get good pass protection and has a poor game it's because the offense doesn't execute.

Today, when Cutler was running for his life most of the day and was the reason why Chicago even had a chance in this game, he just sucks?

ROFL!

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Ohhhhhhh you're just being mean now. :clown:

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
i don't think that's true. everything he tried seemed like a band-aid to me. he wasn't willing to construct a proper NFL defense from the ground up. he did the same with RB. he'd usually only draft RBs in later rounds feeling that anyone would work in our system. for awhile that worked. but when it didn't, he went out and got guys like Travis Henry. guys with issues.

Mike Shanahan tried many times to revamp various areas on the defensive side of the ball. Hell, he drafted impact players like Pryce, Reggie Hayward, Al Wilson, John Mobley, DJ Williams, among others. Traded for Champ Bailey, the best CB in the league. Building an NFL team is like a rubix cube though. You have to keep working it around to get the proper chemistry and remain lucky to not lose guys in the process and Denver was snake bitten.

By 2006 the offense and defense was falling apart. Jake revealed himself as a guy that sucked in big games, and the front seven was aging quickly and/or we could never find impact players for those positions. Years of going without rebuilding and a few bad free agent acquisitions setback the franchise. Mike knew he finally had to develop answers at QB, WR, OL, DL, among other spots and rebuilding was necessary as much as he hated to say it and never did.

As of last year he had the offense coming along and we were ahead of schedule. Unfortunately Mike's faith in Bob Slowick and injuries to keep players on defense and at HB kept this team from reaching the playoffs. Mike himself finally said that he thought this team was a year of ahead of schedule from where he thought it would be.

It's all water under the bridge now.

Mike's still a great coach who isn't without limitations when the talent isn't there. I have no doubt Mike coaches again in the NFL and has tremendous success. It's just the type of person he is. I have a lot of respect for his prowess as a coach and his work ethic.

tsiguy96
11-08-2009, 01:49 PM
i dont understand the reasoning to bash shanahan as a coach. he absolutely should have been fired from denver, but theres no reason to think that time away and learning how NFL defenses work again wont make him come back and win some championships. hell go somewhere and do good, i dont think he would have done good here anymore after so long.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Pittsburgh repeatedly picking up the blitz was the killer in that game.
Well, that and Plummer's errors.
Coyer should've backed off and played it straight up.

It wouldn't have mattered. There was a thing called destiny conspiring for the Steelers that year, sorta like the Broncos in 97'. They got hot at the right time and would have beaten anybody that stepped on the field with them.

Jake Plummer just made it that much easier to sneak out of Mile High with a victory.

Big Ben was awesome that game. Big game player.

WolfpackGuy
11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
It wouldn't have mattered. There was a thing called destiny conspiring for the Steelers that year, sorta like the Broncos in 97'. They got hot at the right time and would have beaten anybody that stepped on the field with them.

Jake Plummer just made it that much easier to sneak out of Mile High with a victory.

Big Ben was awesome that game. Big game player.

Agreed.

Champ missing that pick early hurt.

I believe it's a different game if he comes up with that.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:53 PM
i'm 80% with you on this. i think alot of the AFCC loss is on Plummer. but that defense couldn't stop PIT on any 3rd down. whether 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 18. it seemed like PIT converted every damned time. that's a red flag for me. that defense was not up to the task. there's only so much you can hide with smoke and mirrors (blitzes and schemes). if the D is not physical and can't get to the QB, you're not going to win in the NFL. Shanny likes to run a club med, not a legit training camp. the result is a D that isn't as physical. that's one of the things about Shanny that i don't think he would change, because i don't think he sees that it's wrong. but to me, that's also one of the reasons the game has passed him by.

We did what we had been doing all season and there was definitely fault with the defense. Big Ben was just huge when the game and rush was on the line. He completed play after play. Pitts OL handled 5, 6, and 7 man blitzes. Credit to Pitt.

It wasn't all Jake's fault but he had some major blowjobs in that game.

The blueprint for beating Jake led teams was easy. Get them down by two possessions and make Jake have to play catchup. Ultimately he'll start throwing the ball all over the field and to opposing players and then you slam the door shut on Denver.

It happened twice when we played Indy at their house, and it happened against Pittsburgh when we played them in the AFCCG.

Some fans are so funny. They are pissed that we upgraded from Jake to Jay but Mike didn't have a choice. An AFCCG was as far as Jake would ever take us. With the defense getting older, more pressure would have been applied to the offense and Plummer would have buckled anyways in 06', 07' and 08' hence why Jay was better in every faucet against Plummer but we've had worse records.

Gort
11-08-2009, 01:54 PM
i dont understand the reasoning to bash shanahan as a coach. he absolutely should have been fired from denver, but theres no reason to think that time away and learning how NFL defenses work again wont make him come back and win some championships. hell go somewhere and do good, i dont think he would have done good here anymore after so long.

he's has to come back as a different coach. i think that's the point people are making. if he's the same Shanny that was here in 2006-2008, i don't think he'd be successful anywhere except desperation cases (DET, TB, OAK, KC). but a team that's .500 and trying to take the next step up, would do better without Shanny... unless he comes back as a better coach than he left Denver. i'd put a guy like Billick in the same category.

Gort
11-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Agreed.

Champ missing that pick early hurt.

I believe it's a different game if he comes up with that.

you know what's ridiculous? that game was the start of Roethlisberger's "career". he's got 2 SB wins since then and plays for a team that is constantly in the media headlines. he's on his way to a HOF career now. but if he loses that championship game, he's just another guy like Carson Palmer. wins some and loses some.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I just can't believe that Mike is dragging Slowik around with him. For the life of me i'll never understand it. I fully support Mike except for in that instant.

bpc
11-08-2009, 01:59 PM
you know what's ridiculous? that game was the start of Roethlisberger's "career". he's got 2 SB wins since then and plays for a team that is constantly in the media headlines. he's on his way to a HOF career now. but if he loses that championship game, he's just another guy like Carson Palmer. wins some and loses some.

I think he did go 15-1 his 1st or 2nd year.

Ben's always been kind of a rebel. He's fun to watch, I hate playing him though.

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I just can't believe that Mike is dragging Slowik around with him. For the life of me i'll never understand it. I fully support Mike except for in that instant.

Slowik probably compliments mikes complexion alot.

Gort
11-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I think he did go 15-1 his 1st or 2nd year.

Ben's always been kind of a rebel. He's fun to watch, I hate playing him though.

15-1 is good, but 2 SB wins in 4 years starts the HOF conversation.

UberBroncoMan
11-08-2009, 02:03 PM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/johncraig0880/GIFS/1253527918_referee_vs_helmet.gif

ROFL wtf.

bpc
11-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Hard to argue with his career thus far. He's been the perfect storm for a city that always features a tough running game and a great defense.

broncofan7
11-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Harrison doesn't score that TD last yr in the SB and they don't award him a TD on a QB sneak among other VERY questionable calls in the SB against SEATTLE--he is 0-2 in those big games--remember Warner's O outscored him in the SB last year.........that defense is NAZZZZTY. they stop teams AND score--which is something that we must do to make the leap........

Hotwheelz
11-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Harrison doesn't score that TD last yr in the SB and they don't award him a TD on a QB sneak among other VERY questionable calls in the SB against SEATTLE--he is 0-2 in those big games--remember Warner's O outscored him in the SB last year.........that defense is NAZZZZTY. they stop teams AND score--which is something that we must do to make the leap........

That is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

broncofan7
11-08-2009, 02:27 PM
That is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

You are a sheep--breakdown those SB wins and you see that he was VERY fortunate in BOTH games............Warner's O 21-- Ben's O 20. READ. THINK. LEARN.

DivineBronco
11-08-2009, 02:34 PM
You are a sheep--breakdown those SB wins and you see that he was VERY fortunate in BOTH games............Warner's O 21-- Ben's O 20. READ. THINK. LEARN.

and that Seahawk Steeler Suberbowl was just about the most awful 4 quaters of a championship game I have ever seen......gives me the creeps just thinking about it. and he is right the current chiefs coach called one of the stupidest plays I have seen given the situation and how important any points would be....I was so happy when KC hired the guy that lost AZ the superbowl

Hotwheelz
11-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Yes, just ignore his game-winning drive. He was lucky. Oh, Warner-- 1 Pick 6
Ben-- 0. READ. THINK. LEARN.

broncofan7
11-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes, just ignore his game-winning drive. He was lucky. Oh, Warner-- 1 Pick 6
Ben-- 0. READ. THINK. LEARN.

the 'game winning drive' that led them to their TWENTIETH OFFENSIVE POINT...........

broncofan7
11-08-2009, 02:50 PM
and furthermore--that was really a 10 point swing as Az would have had a FG attempt.......so without that #1 Defense and without Harrison's superhuman like effort for a TD--it's Warner 24-Ben 20.

Hotwheelz
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
the 'game winning drive' that led them to their TWENTIETH OFFENSIVE POINT...........

...that won them the superbowl.

broncofan7
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
...that won them the superbowl.

Because of a defensive TD...........Warner's O 21 Ben's O 20.

Hotwheelz
11-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Because of a defensive TD...........Warner's O 21 Ben's O 20.

You're trying to argue that Ben Burger, who has a 56-22 record in the regular reason and is 8-2 in the playoffs, is lucky to have two rings.

snowspot66
11-08-2009, 03:29 PM
You're trying to argue that Ben Burger, who has a 56-22 record in the regular reason and is 8-2 in the playoffs, is lucky to have two rings.

He is. He could easily be 0-2 in the big game. Once you make the Super Bowl the regular season and playoff records are irrelevant. It's not like he went out and dominated in those games (Super Bowls). Far from it. But he's not 0-2 so I don't know what you guys are arguing about.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Ben is a good QB for a lot of reasons, and it ins't yards and completions

Inkana7
11-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Have you watched their two Super Bowl wins?

JCMElway
11-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, as it stands right now, Denver would select between 14-17. Not bad considering that everyone thought it would be a mid to late 20's selection. I hope this holds up!

NYBronc
11-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Bears remaining schedule

Nov 12 @San Francisco 8:20pm <B>L</B>
Nov 22 Philadelphia 8:20pm <B>L</B>
Nov 29 @Minnesota 1:00pm <B>L</B>
Dec 6 St. Louis 1:00pm <B>W</B>
Dec 13 Green Bay 1:00pm <B>L</B>
Dec 20 @Baltimore 1:00pm <B>L</B>
Dec 28 Minnesota 8:30pm <B>L</B>
Jan 3 @Detroit 1:00pm <B>W</B>

Most likely 5-11 or 6-10. Three more humiliating losses on prime time too. Life is good.

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Bears remaining schedule

Nov 12 @San Francisco 8:20pm <B>L</B>
Nov 22 Philadelphia 8:20pm <B>L</B>
Nov 29 @Minnesota 1:00pm <B>L</B>
Dec 6 St. Louis 1:00pm <B>W</B>
Dec 13 Green Bay 1:00pm <B>L</B>
Dec 20 @Baltimore 1:00pm <B>L</B>
Dec 28 Minnesota 8:30pm <B>L</B>
Jan 3 @Detroit 1:00pm <B>W</B>

Most likely 5-11 or 6-10. Three more humiliating loses on prime time too. Life is good.

I will go with those picks.

Bronx33
11-08-2009, 05:24 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_ZJ88YGNoE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_ZJ88YGNoE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

this stupid move was just selfish.

GreatBronco16
11-08-2009, 06:00 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_ZJ88YGNoE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_ZJ88YGNoE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I heard Cut boy got called for a personal foul for yelling at the ref. Anyone got a video of that?

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Chicago would yield us the 17th pick right now

Hercules Rockefeller
11-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Chicago would yield us the 17th pick right now

I find it hard to believe they have the 2nd toughest SOS out of the 4-4 teams.

rastaman
11-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Shanny would be a fool to go to Dallas and make a deal with the Devil in Jerry Jones. Remember Jerry Jones fired a coach who had just won TWO straight SB's! Shanny hasn't forgotten that. Face it, J. Jones is too ego driven to allow a HC to take the majority of the credit of winning. Hell, Jones is even an egostical prima donna on draft day as well.

bpc
11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
JJ's act is old and tired. He'll bring in somebody who he can put his thumb on for a few years and hog the spotlight. When he team starts to stink up the joint and the media pressure gets hot, he sells out to get that top notch coach who forces Jones to keep his nose out of football business for a minute. Then as the weeks and months pass, year after year, he gets more and more angry the the spotlight isn't burning up his used face and drives that coach out of town.

It happened with JJ, it happened with Tuna, it will inevitably transpire again.

If Shanny comes in, it will happen again. JJ will let Shanny work his magic and then when Dallas gets to a bigger stage than they currently are, JJ will step out to do his predictable act again. I wouldn't put Shanahan's tenure in Dallas longer than 5 years if he goes there.

broncocalijohn
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM

that has always been the case but it took Jay to get out of Denver for many Broncos fans to see it.

Popps
11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
that has always been the case but it took Jay to get out of Denver for many Broncos fans to see it.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2215679&postcount=21

I think most people knew the truth, even when he was in Denver.

bpc
11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
ah, 4 years does not a career make. Barring any injuries, Jay will be playing in this league for a long time. He'll get some more players around him and will bounce back. It's just the type of player he is.

HAT
11-08-2009, 11:39 PM
ah, 4 years does not a career make. Barring any injuries, Jay will be playing in this league for a long time. He'll get some more players around him and will bounce back. It's just the type of player he is.

We agree.

Signed,
Trent Dilfer, Vinny Testeverde, Jeff Blake, Kerry Collins, etc, etc.

Crushaholic
11-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Yeah, that punch was near the beginning of the game. The Bears could never recover from that shot by Harris...

RMT
11-09-2009, 12:10 AM
sorry i'm late to the thread but i was just perusing some team stats ... the bears had the #9 ranked defense going into today's game with the cardinals. if the broncos' defense last year was the primary factor for the team's record, then how it that the bears were just 4-3. perhaps cutler's untimely turnovers and red zone inefficiency had more to do the the broncos' failures last year than the medai and some ignoran broncos' fans realized. he is NO "franchise QB" ...

UberBroncoMan
11-09-2009, 12:13 AM
sorry i'm late to the thread but i was just perusing some team stats ... the bears had the #9 ranked defense going into today's game with the cardinals. if the broncos' defense last year was the primary factor for the team's record, then how it that the bears were just 4-3. perhaps cutler's untimely turnovers and red zone inefficiency had more to do the the broncos' failures last year than the medai and some ignoran broncos' fans realized. he is NO "franchise QB" ...

To be fair Cutler had a really solid game... over 350 yards, 3 TD's to 1 INT, and a +60% completion rate to go with an almost a 100 QB rating.

It was the defense that lost the game.

This was a "good Jay" day that ended in a loss.

BroncoBuff
11-09-2009, 12:43 AM

Always has been ... even I never said otherwise.

But Jay actually played pretty well today ... I went to the play-by-play chart expecting to see much worse than he did.

Dark Helmet
11-09-2009, 12:43 AM
To be fair Cutler had a really solid game... over 350 yards, 3 TD's to 1 INT, and a +60% completion rate to go with an almost a 100 QB rating.

Most of the "good Jay" came in garbage time. The cards were up by so much they got lazy and let them come back a little bit.

BroncoDoug
11-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Always has been ... even I never said otherwise.

But Jay actually played pretty well today ... I went to the play-by-play chart expecting to see much worse than he did.

today good Jay showed up, he was on his way to having a carrer day, but he was down 21-7 before he knew what happened, and was down like 31-7 at the half. To that point he was pretty average, the 2nd half he was tearing it up, but got sacked on a couple of plays and started to get frustrated. Then threw one of his patented picks, and just fell apart from there, never had a good throw after the pick and the game was over.

Bronco Yoda
11-09-2009, 02:05 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/netizen/Bronco%20Avs/poster80737903.jpg

end thread/

Gort
11-09-2009, 03:58 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2215679&postcount=21

I think most people knew the truth, even when he was in Denver.

rivers was a major douchebag when he was at NC State. everyone who follows the ACC knew that. long before he got to the NFL, he was widely disliked.

DeusExManning
11-09-2009, 09:32 AM

I watched the entire game and no Jay did not play well, he made about 5 pretty passes but time after time could not convert on third down. Those were Brian Griese type numbers.

bpc
11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
That's funny, Peter King thinks your wrong.

Popps
11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
rivers was a major douchebag when he was at NC State. everyone who follows the ACC knew that. long before he got to the NFL, he was widely disliked.

I'm not saying I like him.

I don't, remotely.

But, you give me 100 situations like Sunday against the Giants, and I'll take him 100 times and Cutler zero.

It's not even close.

Popps
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I watched the entire game and no Jay did not play well, he made about 5 pretty passes but time after time could not convert on third down. Those were Brian Griese type numbers.

That's all Cutler needs is a few "rocket armed" throws and people forgive the rest of the **** he does.

Yesterday was at least rare in that he didn't help put his team in the hole. He's usually as much the cause as anything else.

Yesterday he just pooped himself when the team had a chance to pull within a score with 8 minutes left. Nothing surprising, there.

Of course, Arizona had to sit their starting QB for the Bears to even have a shot. So, the "comeback" was largely against a defense that was probably pretty relaxed at that point.

bronco militia
11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
That's funny, Peter King thinks your wrong.

LOL!

who cares!?!?!

broncofan7
11-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Jay Cutler has a dark cloud following him that causes D/ST's to fall to the depths of the NFL rankings..........I suggest he take the rest of the season off and go on a pilgrimage and set free those demons who continue to haunt his teams..............

lazarus4444
11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Not until after he gives us a good pick in the draft, then he can do whatever the hell he wants to.

baja
11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Saw Shanny at the farmer's market last Saturday and he said Snyder called and promised him Jay Cutler if he would coach the Skins. Seems Chicago has soured on Cutler and approached Snyder and asked him if he would offer the same deal for Cutler they had on the table with Denver. Looks like Shanny could be reunited with his boy Jay.

bpc
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Saw Shanny at the farmer's market last Saturday and he said Snyder called and promised him Jay Cutler if he would coach the Skins. Seems Chicago has soured on Cutler and approached Snyder and asked him if he would offer the same deal for Cutler they had on the table with Denver. Looks like Shanny could be reunited with his boy Jay.

I highly doubt this.

oubronco
11-09-2009, 04:54 PM

baja
11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I highly doubt this.

Dude when have I ever been wrong? ;D

JCMElway
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, at this point Denver is drafting as high as pick #11 and as low as pick #15. Not bad so far. Let's just hope the Bears don't put 3 or 4 wins in a row together.

Philly -- Loss
@ Minnesota -- Loss
St. Louis -- Win
Green Bay -- Win
@ baltimore -- Loss
Minnesota -- Win
@ Detroit -- Win

A 7-9 record sounds about right for the way they're playing right now. Hmmmm.....

BlaK-Argentina
11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, at this point Denver is drafting as high as pick #11 and as low as pick #15. Not bad so far. Let's just hope the Bears don't put 3 or 4 wins in a row together.

Philly -- Loss
@ Minnesota -- Loss
St. Louis -- Win
Green Bay -- Win
@ baltimore -- Loss
Minnesota -- Win
@ Detroit -- Win

A 7-9 record sounds about right for the way they're playing right now. Hmmmm.....

You think they beat Minnesota and GB? I think they lose to both those teams.

broncolife
11-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Philly -- Loss
@ Minnesota -- Loss
St. Louis -- Win
Green Bay -- Win
@ baltimore -- Loss
Minnesota -- Win
@ Detroit -- Win

My hope is

Philly -- Loss
@ Minnesota -- Loss
St. Louis -- Loss
Green Bay -- Loss
@ baltimore -- Loss
Minnesota -- Loss
@ Detroit -- Win

we need some of the crap teams to start winning so we can get into the top 5:)

Popps
11-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Philly -- Loss
@ Minnesota -- Loss
St. Louis -- Win
Green Bay -- Win
@ baltimore -- Loss
Minnesota -- Win
@ Detroit -- Win

Good stuff. I love the 11-15 range. Usually nice value there, and even lower.

bpc
11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
We need a QB, among many other things. Hopefully the pick gets much higher.