PDA

View Full Version : Broncos notes: WR Stokley has been quiet lately

HEAV
11-06-2009, 08:52 AM
FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE
After being one of the stars of training camp, Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley was the hero of Denver’s first game. In Week 2, he had five catches for 70 yards. And then … not much.

Stokley has been a bit of a forgotten man in the offense. He dealt with a thigh injury for a couple of weeks, and barely played over a three-game stretch. In four of Denver’s past five games, he hasn’t had a catch.

Stokley isn’t bothered by the inactivity, and said it might keep him fresh all season.

“I’m fine with it,” Stokley said. “I just try to be prepared best I can. We’re very deep at receiver, so it’s about staying ready.”

Fixing special teams
The Broncos are not pleased after giving up two kick returns for touchdowns the past two weeks, and there is a sense of urgency.

“We’ve got to not get down on what happened to us,” linebacker Mario Haggan said. “We’ll get that fixed. It’s just one of those things that teams made big plays when we weren’t able to make a big play ourselves.”

Injury report
Offensive tackle Ryan Harris (toe), defensive end Ryan McBean (knee) and safety Josh Barrett (hamstring) missed practice Thursday. Cornerback Jack Williams (illness) and safety David Bruton (groin) were limited in practice.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/stokley-65850-broncos-denver.html

Crushaholic
11-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm glad we don't HAVE to rely on Stokely to make plays. Our receiving corps is as deep as it has been in a long time...

Kaylore
11-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Stokely has been open on most of our third downs. I wish Orton would look for him.

azbroncfan
11-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm glad we don't HAVE to rely on Stokely to make plays. Our receiving corps is as deep as it has been in a long time...

Deep by talent but they haven't really been getting open this year outside of a game or two.

Popps
11-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Stokely has been open on most of our third downs. I wish Orton would look for him.

He was, and then recently... it's seemed like he's been targeting Royal more often. It worked against NE, but not so much against Baltimore.

I agree, though. Stoke is a great safety blanket for a QB. Orton will likely return to using him.

azbroncfan
11-06-2009, 09:49 AM

I was thinking the same thing and wondering where he went because it isn't he has been quiet but has been nonexistent last couple weeks.

Jason in LA
11-06-2009, 09:53 AM
All of the WRs numbers are down. Marshall is on pace for just over 800 yards and Royal is on pace for about 350 yards.

This team isn't built to be driven by the passing game, so their poor passing game won't keep them from making the playoffs, but if they want to make a run at the Super Bowl they will need to be more productive passing the ball.

Pony Boy
11-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Stokley keeps busy wrapping his arms around BMarsh to keep him in line......
High paid babysitter but worth it........

Beantown Bronco
11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
All of the WRs numbers are down. Marshall is on pace for just over 800 yards and Royal is on pace for about 350 yards.

Down is one thing. This is another I think.

We're talking about a guy who had 50 receptions last year for over 500 yards. Take away the freak "tip drill" play that wasn't even to him and he's on pace for only 16 receptions and 180 yards total for the season.

HEAV
11-06-2009, 10:07 AM
What would you rather have Wins or personal stats? Last few years the Broncos had a fantasy football offense, but the team was .500 at best.

I'll take Wins over stat yardage anyday.

BroncoMan4ever
11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
What would you rather have Wins or personal stats? Last few years the Broncos had a fantasy football offense, but the team was .500 at best.

Damn right, and the attitudes of most of these guys would agree with that

Beantown Bronco
11-06-2009, 10:58 AM

I don't think anyone here would ever disagree with you on this. But it's natural after a loss, or even after a general analysis of the team itself, to see where the team may be underperforming and point to what worked before. Nothing wrong with pointing out the fact that Stokley was a huge part of the offense last year and is now for whatever reason only being targeted about once per game, if that.

Crushaholic
11-06-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think anyone here would ever disagree with you on this. But it's natural after a loss, or even after a general analysis of the team itself, to see where the team may be underperforming and point to what worked before. Nothing wrong with pointing out the fact that Stokley was a huge part of the offense last year and is now for whatever reason only being targeted about once per game, if that.

A new coach brings a new mindset to the playcalling. I don't think it's fair to compare ANYTHING we've done this year to last year...

HEAV
11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
A new coach brings a new mindset to the playcalling. I don't think it's fair to compare ANYTHING we've done this year to last year...

Looking back at last season's stats(divided by 16) and comparing those to the 2009 team (divided by 7)

The passing attempts are down and the rushing attempts are up. Also the running backs are getting more targets thsi year than last year.

WR
2008 260 targets avg 16.25 per game

2009 83 targets avg 11.86 per game

TE
2008 83 targets avg 5.2 per game

2009 32 targets avg 4.6 per game

RB
2008 43 targets avg 2.7 per game

2009 32 targets avg 4.6 per game

Running attempts by RB

2008 316 avg 19.75 per game

2009 188 avg 26.86 per game

So the new offense is clearly more towards running and get passes to the backs coming out of the backfield.

Rabb
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I love people blaming the receivers as if they are telling the coach and QB not to target them because they are just not up for it

Jason in LA
11-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Pretty much.

People need to understand that the point isn't just to win games, it's to win the Super Bowl. We are all happy with the production so far, but there is nothing wrong with discussing the weak areas of the team. Areas that could stop this team from going all the way.

NFLBRONCO
11-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Our WR's and O as a whole is SOFT. I'm not sure our O doesn't need a huge makeover if Orton stays longterm in MCD's system.

Popps
11-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Our WR's and O as a whole is SOFT..

I wouldn't go that far, though we can certainly be more physical.

Moreno fits the mold of a physical offense. But, we're still in transition from being a finesse team. Marshall is our most physical receiver, and he was purposely avoiding catches so he wouldn't take a hit last week.

The movement is afoot. But, it's not going to happen overnight and we certainly don't need a "full overhaul." It's a process. The process has begun.

Hamrob
11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Orton is a subpar QB. Anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking it. Dinking and dunking may get your average and qb rating up there...but it doesn't make a great qb.

If this team needs the qb to pick up a game for them....it's not going to happen with Orton.

Taco John
11-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Hard to believe he's only had 9 catches this season at the halfway mark.

It's not hard to believe that 8 of them have been first downs, and 2 of them touchdowns.

broncofan7
11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Orton is a subpar QB. Anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking it. Dinking and dunking may get your average and qb rating up there...but it doesn't make a great qb.

If this team needs the qb to pick up a game for them....it's not going to happen with Orton.

He has severely limited our passing game...............wihtout the ability to consistently run--Orton is exposed for what he is --a top notch BACK UP QB.

Rabb
11-06-2009, 05:59 PM
He has severely limited our passing game...............wihtout the ability to consistently run--Orton is exposed for what he is --a top notch BACK UP QB.

wow we are 6-1 with such a severely limited passing game...with Cutler we would be 16-0 by now!

you are a ****ing moron