PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Broncos make mistake with Moreno over Buckhalter

HEAV
11-06-2009, 08:26 AM
The Broncos need more touchdowns and fewer excuses. Where to begin? That's easy.

Start veteran Correll Buckhalter at running back.

Bench prized draft choice Knowshon Moreno.

This is the time to make the upgrade, with a Steel Curtain dead ahead for the Broncos. The Pittsburgh Steelers lay down an unforgiving law meant to intimidate foes: Don't even bother trying to run.

"They make everybody stop running the football," coach Josh McDaniels said Thursday.

So what can the Broncos do to fight the Steelers in a battle of wills? Put it all on the shoulders of quarterback Kyle Orton?

Something tells me Denver better come up with a Plan B.

Better give Buckhalter an increased role in the game plan.

In an offense averaging a modest 20 points per game, McDaniels has given Moreno 120 touches from scrimmage to 73 for Buckhalter, yet despite the disparity in workload both Denver players have gained an identical 484 total yards by running or catching the football.

If productivity counts for anything, then it seems to me Buckhalter deserves to be in the huddle nearly twice as much as Moreno.

"We let them play, and we feel good about our backs. No matter who's in the game, we think they're capable people," McDaniels said.

Here's the problem: Know-shon doesn't know all the tricks of the NFL trade, and what the rookie doesn't know is hurting the Broncos.

Don't get me wrong. Despite all the caterwauling when Denver used the 12th choice in the first round on Moreno, taking the 5-foot-11, 210-pound runner out of Georgia was the right thing to do. Playing him so much while Moreno learns on the job has been the mistake.

It's as if McDaniels is in a rush to prove wrong the doubters of his football acumen. Could it be ego is blinding McDaniels to the fact it's Buckhalter, not Moreno, who has been the most dangerous weapon in a Denver offense lacking in big shots?

Despite missing the New England game with an ankle injury, Buckhalter leads the Broncos with five gains of more than 20 yards.

After salary negotiations and a banged-up knee cost Moreno valuable time on the field during his first NFL training camp, his apprenticeship has been done with victory and defeat on the line. The 420 yards gained rushing speak loudly to Moreno's natural talent. Nevertheless . . .

Whether smashing into the pile on third down or fumbling the football in a crash, there are too many times when his rookie anxiety shows and Moreno treats this sport like demolition derby.

It's not the speed of the game that's killing Moreno. It's failure to trust his instincts to slow down the action. Moreno is so obsessed with picking up the tough yards he doesn't give himself a chance to take a play to the house. Maybe that's why his longest run in 109 attempts for Denver is 17 yards.

What Moreno must learn to break big plays is the same trait McDaniels needs to employ in the development of his prized rookie running back: patience.

"Patience is not getting the ball and going 100 mph. In this league, the majority of the time, if you're going 1,000 mph from the time you touch the ball, you're not going to make a good read," said Buckhalter, whose 6.0 yards per carry this season ranks second in the NFL behind the superb 6.9 per attempt by Chris Johnson of Tennessee.

"When I say have patience, I don't mean running the ball at 50 percent speed," Buckhalter added. "But you start out at maybe 70 percent. Then, when you find the crease, you see the opening and that's when you turn it on. Slow to the hole. Fast through the hole."

Buckhalter started four consecutive times to open the season, then got injured, which allowed McDaniels to give the No. 1 running back job to Moreno, and Denver's rushing production has gone on a slow, steady decline.

It's OK for Moreno to be in the game. The Broncos, however, need Buckhalter to make more plays to win the game.

Buckhalter told me he is confident Moreno will develop the patience necessary to exploit NFL defenses, but the talent won't appear overnight, and it might take a whole season of hard knocks for his rookie teammate to master the counterintuitive principle that getting ahead in this league sometimes requires slowing down the racing brain inside your helmet.

A commitment to the running game needs to be made by Denver.

Is the Broncos' No. 1 priority to let Moreno learn by trial and error, or ride the back of Buckhalter to the playoffs?

Mark Kiszla:
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13725797?source=rss

Smiling Assassin27
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM
6-1 and we still have to see this kind of tripe in the papers?

It's as if McDaniels is in a rush to prove wrong the doubters of his football acumen. Could it be ego is blinding McDaniels to the fact it's Buckhalter, not Moreno, who has been the most dangerous weapon in a Denver offense lacking in big shots?

Dude, McD has put his foot in your arse more times than you can count. Your breath smells like his cute little size 5 turf shoe. And yet you still wanna play 'if i were coach' with McD?

SonOfLe-loLang
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM
He's just searching for negative **** to write about

Smiling Assassin27
11-06-2009, 08:31 AM
It's OK for Moreno to be in the game.

Well, I'm sure McD is relieved to hear this from you, Mark. No doubt, he'd been obsessing about whether it was ok for Moreno to be in the game all week until he read those golden words that fell from your blessed keyboard. Go away, Kiz, you wank.

crush17
11-06-2009, 08:37 AM
lol Kiszla.

HEAV
11-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I really miss The Rocky Mountain News...

3 months ago Kizla wanted Moreno getting the starts and carries, but liek many fans that when he thought the team would be sub .500 and going through the growing pains of a restart.

Moreno will only learn how to run in the NFL if he gets carries sooner than later. Now I agree that C-Buck needs to carry the ball also, his production can't be denied. But they both need to play and both need to get snaps. It's just about balancing teh distribution of the touches.

Irish Stout
11-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Last game Moreno only had 10 carries, his fewest in the last 3 games. He also had more positive yardage than Buckhalter. I truly feel one of the worst things we did at Baltimore was not running Moreno more.

I really try hard to support the Denver Sports Writers... but its really really hard sometimes. Especially when they write something that looks like a collaboration with Josina.

BigPlayShay
11-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Especially when they write something that looks like a collaboration with Josina.

Well, you just pray that Kiz is wrapping it up before that.

Kaylore
11-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Buckhalter got lit up in pass pro last game.

watermock
11-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Here's an idea, find a QB that can throw a 15 yard out.

Kaylore
11-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Here's an idea, find a QB that can throw a 15 yard out.

Still bitter and making stupid comments, I see.

Here's a clue: Orton already has this year.

Here's another clue: A fifteen yard out isn't what this offense needs.

Borks147
11-06-2009, 09:47 AM

ding ding ding we have a winner!

Pony Boy
11-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I say start Moreno but "Da boy needs to hode on to da football"

underrated29
11-06-2009, 10:10 AM
let not forget we have played like 3 teams in the top 10 in rush defense, and pitts is going to be another one. Infact, balt and pitss are like 2 and 3 i think. Or soemthing close.

There is a reason why these teams have streaks as long as 2.5 years of not having a 100 yard rusher. Its not the moreno sucks and buck is the shiznit. Its that we play some tough ass defenses, in addition to our 3 run plays, no vertical pass threat, and know being a rook.

Broncosfreak_56
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I say start Moreno but "Da boy needs to hode on to da football"

Goddamn, besides Orton setting Moreno up for that missile strike last game, he has been. Why do people keep saying that he has a fumbling problem?

Also, Kiszla is a fvcking moron who holds no weight in anything to do with the Broncos.

watermock
11-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Still bitter and making stupid comments, I see.

Here's a clue: Orton already has this year.

Here's another clue: A fifteen yard out isn't what this offense needs.

yeah, when?

The tipped pass to Stoke for 82 or when BM out jumped 2 defenders to take it 53?

Broncos_OTM
11-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Goddamn, besides Orton setting Moreno up for that missile strike last game, he has been. Why do people keep saying that he has a fumbling problem?

Also, Kiszla is a f***ing moron who holds no weight in anything to do with the Broncos.

Anytime you fumble the ball it is a problem. Moreno has 3 or 4 of them this year. to try and deny that is crap. I am not saying that it cannot be fixed but it was costly last week and if it costs us a game what are you gonna say then.

The jury on Moreno for me so far is still out.

Now Ayers on the other hand is going to be a freaking stud. i feel confident when teams run towards him it will not be successful. He doesnt look lost like he did. if he can get us some sacks woohoo.

kappys
11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Buck always runs well then gets injured. I'm just not sure he's the kind of guy who can really be a feature back because of the constant injuries. That's no mark against his talent - obviously he is running the ball well. still I think its better if he gets 15 touches or so a game rather than trying to push him into a starting role. If he's still playing this well going into December/playoffs then by all means give him more carries, but not now.

Rohirrim
11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Hard to believe that some NFL team hasn't offered Kizla a HC job.

HEAV
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Hard to believe that some NFL team hasn't offered Kizla a HC job.

Or the NFL network...ESPN..;D

Soul-Bronco
11-06-2009, 11:24 AM
does douche bag remeber that buckhalter missed a game and knowshon was the feature back ? maybe thats why he has more attempts, hmmmm just maybe?

Greybeard
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Ordinarily, I'm not a big fan of Kiszla's. But he makes sense to me in this case . . .

-----

Broncosfreak_56
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Anytime you fumble the ball it is a problem. Moreno has 3 or 4 of them this year. to try and deny that is crap. I am not saying that it cannot be fixed but it was costly last week and if it costs us a game what are you gonna say then.

Now Ayers on the other hand is going to be a freaking stud. i feel confident when teams run towards him it will not be successful. He doesnt look lost like he did. if he can get us some sacks woohoo.

3 times. 1 wasn't his fault, and the others were earlier this season. He has protected to ball better since then. Also, his fumble, if I recall correctly, only lead to three points. I guess though, the score COULD have been 27-7.

randomtask
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
yeah, when?

The tipped pass to Stoke for 82 or when BM out jumped 2 defenders to take it 53?

I recall that he did pretty good versus new england.

Archer81
11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Ordinarily, I'm not a big fan of Kiszla's. But he makes sense to me in this case . . .

-----

Boo this man!

:Broncos:

Greybeard
11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Boo this man!

:Broncos:

I'm sorry! http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/anon.gif

-----

dbfan21
11-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I like the fact they are platooned in and out. They compliment each other nicely. I said this in another thread and the whole "doghouse" thing came up, but I would really like to see Hillis get another shot at RB. I think he could do some damage aginst this team. How is he ever going to get out of the doghouse if he doesn't get a chance to shine? He was a beast against the Jets and Falcons last year...how can a guy with such a limited window of opportunity drop off that fast?

broncocalijohn
11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
does douche bag remeber that buckhalter missed a game and knowshon was the feature back ? maybe thats why he has more attempts, hmmmm just maybe?

he did mention that Buck had the first 4 starts then got injured. I am in agreement with Kizla. I cringe when it is short yardage situation on 3rd or 4th and Moreno is in the backfield. Ive seen him go off on his own instead of following the FB and getting stuffed or just not making the correct read for that one yard. I dont want Moreno riding the pine for the game like Hillis but I think Buck needs to get the majority of the touches. He has proven it and deserves it.

Pony Boy
11-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Also, Kiszla is a ****ing moron who holds no weight in anything to do with the Broncos.

No excuse, "missile Strike” or not he has to hold on to the ball period. Fumbles are momentum killers, plain and simple.

Rabb
11-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Also, Kiszla is a f***ing moron who holds no weight in anything to do with the Broncos.

Orton did not set him up, someone down field missed a block

Reed gets blocked on that play, it is a different result

Greybeard
11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Orton did not set him up, someone down field missed a block

Reed gets blocked on that play, it is a different result

Orton set Moreno up by passing to him.

I guess he shouldn't have passed the ball to him . . .

-----

Rohirrim
11-06-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry! http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/anon.gif

-----

I see you are using the CU Buffs smilie. ;D

Popps
11-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Moreno is averaging 4 yards a carry and has just under 500 combined yards, that with missing some time with injury and being used in rotation.

Beyond that, wasn't Buckhalter the first back to take carries in the past couple of games?

Buck has missed a game, and still had 55 carries.

Take away the Baltimore game, and our running game has been productive. People want to jump to a lot of conclusions based on ONE loss.

Why don't we give Moreno some time to develop? The guy is on pace for 1000 yards in a rotation role. He needs to secure the ball better at times, but he's been productive for us as a rookie.

Buckhalter is a great back, though probably not an every down guy. He wears down.

I would like to see Hillis carrying the ball more, but there's obviously reasons he's not.

The running game isn't dominant, yet... but we're still developing this thing and we're 6-1 in the process.

GoBroncos84
11-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I fully believe Moreno will be a premiere back in this league. I love what we have gotten from Buckhalter, he is vital. And I would agree that more touches could help, but we also have to keep him fresh. You cannot ignore his injury history. Let Knowshon get the tough yards as he learns how to play at this level and in this offense, and have Buck doing the change of pace plays and things that cater to his ability. They have distributed fine. The only time I question the running back situation is when Jordan goes in instead of Hillis.

lazarus4444
11-07-2009, 02:46 AM
If moreno can hold onto the ball he'll be automatically better.

Bob's your Information Minister
11-07-2009, 02:59 AM
You use Buckhalter more and he gets hurt.

Muddled
11-07-2009, 04:11 AM
That's a damn dumb article, McD´s been using Buck sparingly to avoid injuries and he's still been banged up, he'd last a half maybe as a featured back

BroncoInferno
11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I think it should be pretty clear why Buckhalter has his carries limited. The guy has missed three full seasons in his NFL career due to injury. It seems wise to me to keep a guy like that in 8-10 carry a game range during the regular season.

rastaman
11-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Moreno is a rookie who at times will make rookie mistakes. As the first round draft pick, McD is doing the right thing by getting Moreno as many touches and game day expericence as possible.

I'd just like to see how Moreno responds/performs if McD would add a lead blocking FB for Moreno to run behind. Moreno has the abililty to make the first tackler miss, so if the FB can take on the first lineman and Moreno can make the next tackler miss.....we could be in for some great running from Moreno.

A lead blocking FB for both Buckhalter and Moreno to run behind may be the missing plug to getting the running attack untracked. Just a thought.

azbroncfan
11-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Orton was getting him back for letting Jared Johnson come running right past him without chipping him and letting him kill Orton on the first play of the game.

DeuceOfClub
11-07-2009, 02:22 PM
You can count on one finger how many times did Buckhalter played 16 games in a season (a 9 years veteran)
But I think he's healthy, so let's go ahead and work him.
/BS

broncogary
11-07-2009, 06:15 PM

I thought it was Moreno who should have blocked the blitzing LB on the first play last game.

TomServo
11-08-2009, 12:19 AM
said before Moreno is a solid nfl back. but worth a #1 pick and salary? no way. we could have got him or any other good back in the later rounds.
i think ( im sure someone will look it up if they dispute it) he's fumbled more in 8 games than sammy winder did in his first 8 seasons.

Caveat Lector
11-08-2009, 12:38 AM
said before Moreno is a solid nfl back. but worth a #1 pick and salary? no way. we could have got him or any other good back in the later rounds.
i think ( im sure someone will look it up if they dispute it) he's fumbled more in 8 games than sammy winder did in his first 8 seasons.

Hate to break it to you mate, but Moreno would not have gone past San Diego who picked 4 places after us. Much of the commentary at the time speculated that it was a pick to keep him away from the Chargers as much as having him for ourselves. The pick was a no-brainer for mine...

Popps
11-08-2009, 01:09 AM

He's less than half-way through his first NFL season. I'm not sure we can make definitive judgments that he's "not worth" his salary, at this stage.

Let's touch base on this at the end of the season... middle of next year, etc.

People are forgetting that Moreno has played a key role in almost all of our wins. He's our leading rusher. He's also leading all rookies in rushing yardage. He's got a 5 year, 23M salary with 13M guaranteed. Not exactly elite NFL money.

New England has spread the ball around to its RBs for years. We all knew (or should have known) we'd be doing something similar with our backs this year.

I'm just not sure where this notion that Moreno is failing is coming from. There are no logic-based arguments to support that notion.

ScottXray
11-08-2009, 01:54 AM
He's less than half-way through his first NFL season. I'm not sure we can make definitive judgments that he's "not worth" his salary, at this stage.

Let's touch base on this at the end of the season... middle of next year, etc.

People are forgetting that Moreno has played a key role in almost all of our wins. He's our leading rusher. He's also leading all rookies in rushing yardage. He's got a 5 year, 23M salary with 13M guaranteed. Not exactly elite NFL money.

New England has spread the ball around to its RBs for years. We all knew (or should have known) we'd be doing something similar with our backs this year.

I'm just not sure where this notion that Moreno is failing is coming from. There are no logic-based arguments to support that notion.

Logic...what's that? It is the fact that he's put the ball on the ground 2 or 3 times. Of which a couple were just plain bad luck and tremendous hits at the right time. Never mind the fact that he's a rook and the line has been poor at opening holes without the ZBS.

I remember a RB in the early 70s....Oliver something or other....fumbled FIVE times in one game. Tremendous speed back with enormous potential...but just couldn't hang on to the ball in trafffic. Of course we lost. I think the coach cut him right after that game , which I think was against the raiders (might have been Saban who cut him, but I think it was Ralston).