PDA

View Full Version : Sad Story - Barrel Man has 2 to 6 Months to live

theAPAOps5
11-05-2009, 10:33 PM
He has a lung disease most likely brought on by smoking 2.5 packs of cigarettes a day for 30 years. I only bring up the smoking as he wants to get the word out about its effects.

Tragic interview on 9news but made easier by his humor. He has been struggling with health lately but this one looks to be no win.

So here is to you Barrel Man. You were a Broncos institution. Gods speed and I hope your remaining time here on Earth is the best possible.

BlaK-Argentina
11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
That sucks. Hope we can win the SB this year and he gets to see it.

Best wishes to him.

BroncoDoug
i saw that on 9news also, very sad.

Man-Goblin
So sad. Be well, good man.

theAPAOps5
11-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I am trying to find a link but 9 news hasn't posted it yet. They interviewed him in his home. He talks about how ridiculous his fame came about (laughed about it) and how he is in the HOF and how he was a 135 LB that no college would consider. So he took his passion another direction.

Sad but you could tell he lived his life how he wanted and also wanted to get the word out about smoking and its effects (per Drew Soicher).

Baba Booey
11-05-2009, 10:40 PM
That sucks. The lone Broncos game I've been to in my lifetime was they Vikings game where they honored Barrell man. Hang in there big guy.

OBF1
11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Sad news to hear. I hope the Broncos do something magical this season for their #1 fan.

Tim and Becky are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Taco John
11-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Hang in there Tim. Thanks for the smiles over the years brother man.

Blueflame
11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Very sad news... :'(

Sassy
11-05-2009, 11:02 PM
:(

theAPAOps5
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah its really a sad story. I wish 9news would post the story online. You can still see the passion he has for the Broncos. But more importantly you see the passion he has for his family.

Tim and the Broncos go hand in had with me as fan. I was too young to remember much before 1986 but old enough to remember Barrel Man in his prime.

BigPlayShay
11-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Very sad to hear.

Sassy
11-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Hang tough Barrelman!

watermock
11-05-2009, 11:32 PM
http://www.footballfashionfanatics.com/0905barrel.jpg.

He was cool. At least compared to that green guy.

http://www.rockytheleprechaun.com/images/rockyrainbowleprechaun3.jpg

He was/is just strange.

Florida_Bronco
11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Very sad to hear.

rmsanger
11-06-2009, 04:42 AM
nooooooooooo.... you're my boy blue!

HILife
11-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Very sad. :(

backup qb
11-06-2009, 06:17 AM
That's too bad, but what a life he has had!

dbfan21
11-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks Tim/Barrel Man! You're one of the greastest Bronco fans out there. Your passion for the team we all love will be missed. God bless!

McDman
11-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Ring of Fame! Ring of Fame! Ring of Fame!

Beej
11-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Ring of Fame! Ring of Fame! Ring of Fame!

+1

Best wishes, Barrel Man. Best fan ever.

gtown
11-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Sucks to hear about Barrel Man. He lived in my neighborhood years ago in Aurora. Curiously, he did everything else in life with clothes on. You would think he would do his yard work in a barrel.... As a child I would see this guy on TV and fear for his life during late season games. Never did I think it would be nicotine and tar that got him, as opposed to the cold.

I wish Invesco was less wine and cheese. We might have a few budding barrel men to come replace this Denver institution.

SoDak Bronco
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Remember when I was 12 at my first Broncos game I got my picture taken with him, he was a celebrity in my eyes. The guy is a HOF Fan no doubt.

tnedator
11-06-2009, 08:25 AM
He was an image that many associated with the Broncos in Mile High. It's a shame.

Enjoy the time you have left.

Hogan11
11-06-2009, 09:04 AM
A very kind and gracious man. Seeing him was always a highlight of the tailgate/pregame tour. My thoughts go out to him :(

HEAV
11-06-2009, 09:23 AM
As sad as this news is and it's sad don't get me wrong. Barrel Man has lived a great life he's become a FAN icon like Fireman Ed (Jets), Big Dawg (Browns),Chief Zee(Skins) & his dead buddy Crazy Ray (Cowboys).

Barrel man had a great life.

Kaylore
11-06-2009, 09:26 AM
That sucks. He would even dress up for the Denver Gold. Anyone remember that? What a hero for Bronco fandome. And I agree that the leprechaun guy is not "the next one." No one will ever live up to the barrel man.

Pick Six
11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I met him once, at a tailgate. The Broncos have a new rally cry, this year. Win One For Barrel Man!

crawdad
11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry to hear about TIm. He was a great guy. Maybe this gal will carry on his legacy.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/denverbronx/BarrelGirl.jpg

bronco610
11-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Sucks, Prayers and thoughts to him and his family.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Sad to hear - IMO he's one of those "immortal football fans" that you just KNOW.

In my travels managed to get a photo with the Barrell Man and another with Chief Zee of the Washington Redskins.

Best wishes to the Barrell Man!
GO BRONCOS!

crawdad
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
This is Meck and Tim in his rig at Canton 2004

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/denverbronx/meckdiscotim.jpg

JJJ
11-06-2009, 10:47 AM
All respect to the Barrel Man. He represented the Broncos well and it was always great to see him in that bloody barrel in the middle of a snow storm. That is classic Denver football stuff right there. Lets hope he beats those odds.

broncocalijohn
11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Didnt see him this year and maybe now I know why. Tim and Jay put on a great tailgate every game. Tim also does much for charity and is what a true fan is. I wish they would put it up (the interview) online so those that cant get 9 News or missed it, can see it. He is dying due to those death sticks. If you smoke, you should ask yourself if you are really ready to leave this world when you are in your 60s or early 70s?

broncocalijohn
11-06-2009, 11:46 AM
That sucks. He would even dress up for the Denver Gold. Anyone remember that? What a hero for Bronco fandome. And I agree that the leprechaun guy is not "the next one." No one will ever live up to the barrel man.

Dont even put that fraud Leprechaun Guy with Barrel Man! He is a big A$$ attention whore who sole purpose is to get on tv. I told this before but at a fan afterparty in Miami for the Super Bowl victory, someone asked him what was the greatest part about the SB game and he seriously said, "When I looked up at the Big Screen and saw myself." Not the win, or Elway getting the MVP or anything team related, it was all about him. I dont know anyone that likes that fake. He also pushed me out of the way during an extra point kick so he can get on tv.

Rohirrim
11-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry to hear about Barrelman. He's an icon. I put down the cancer sticks four years ago. Everybody should take this story as inspiration to do the same.

TailgateNut
11-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Dont even put that fraud Leprechaun Guy with Barrel Man! He is a big A$$ attention whore who sole purpose is to get on tv. I told this before but at a fan afterparty in Miami for the Super Bowl victory, someone asked him what was the greatest part about the SB game and he seriously said, "When I looked up at the Big Screen and saw myself." Not the win, or Elway getting the MVP or anything team related, it was all about him. I dont know anyone that likes that fake. He also pushed me out of the way during an extra point kick so he can get on tv.

You let that little dick push you out of the way?

Re: Tim (Barrelman), if feel sorry for him but his "niceness" only goes so far.

I leave the story for another time and thread.

Hope the doctors are wrong and he lives longer than their prognosis shows.

bpc
11-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Crappy news. At least he's got to see Denver win the big one twice.

God speed Barrel man.

Bronco Yoda
11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
This is really bad news. Keep up the fight Barrelman.

broncocalijohn
11-06-2009, 01:19 PM
You let that little dick push you out of the way?

Hope the doctors are wrong and he lives longer than their prognosis shows.

It was more that rainbow gay umbrella than him. Also, probably best not to say anything bad about Tim at this time. Everything is timing. Kind of like when our friend buff started the thread about our problem defense letting the Bengals score a TD at the (near) end of the game.

Taco John
11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I remember as a kid, I used to really get a thrill out of seeing Barrel Man on television. In the cold games especially - it would always pump me up to see him out there toughing it out.

It's guys like you, Tim, who make this world a brighter more beautiful place. Thanks for the memories.

BBB1980
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Wishing the Barrel Man the very best, the first big Bronco Fan that I ever met.

DenverBrit
11-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Sad news indeed. :(

He's a great Broncos fan..... it's a shame we don't have a stadium filled with Barrelmen.

Cmac821
11-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I am a little young to have seen him in action but I have been told the Legend of The Barrelmen. Hope he pulls through

Dr. Broncenstein
11-06-2009, 09:49 PM
My mom shot this pic of Barrel Man and myself. She failed to get the barrel, so it just came out looking like I was hugging a half naked drunk. In short, it came out perfect.

bap454
11-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear about TIm. He was a great guy. Maybe this gal will carry on his legacy.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/denverbronx/BarrelGirl.jpg

Maybe if she takes her shirt off.

theAPAOps5
11-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I am actually kind of shocked that 9news hasn't but this up on their site. They can put stupid ass crap about Halloween parties and other less important stories? Most residents in Denver, regardless if they are Broncos fans, know who Tim is.

So I sent them an email stating my disappointment. Just asked them that there are some who would appreciate the passion for his life and his family that came through that interview and it should be made available over the internet.

Bronx33
11-07-2009, 11:06 AM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5492/mq0u9617.jpg

Meck77
11-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure how to sum up the mans life in one post. I had the pleasure of walking the stadium with him a couple different times at away games and always enjoyed visiting his tailgate.

I learned a lot about the history of the Broncos and Broncomania in general from him.

Sure being a Bronco fan is about the football team itself but Barrelman brought a lot of Bronco fans together and certainly paved the way to what the 12th man is today.

I know Woody of the Omane is very close to him. Perhaps he could give us an idea of how we could show our appreciation to Barrelman.

Mile High Salute to one of the best.....

Woody you out there?

Bronx33
11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
God i remeber him back at the old mile high during brutal blizzards in that damn barrell working his way around the stadium to pump up the fans in each section he is definately one of the best characters the broncos ever had without a doubt.

Bronco LB52
11-08-2009, 10:54 PM

I have seen Barrelman be a little grumpy before, but you have to realize that this guy used to get dozens-to-hundreds of photo requests from random Broncos fans during a tailgate. He is not getting paid to be Santa Claus.

Bronco LB52
11-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Barrelman is a funny guy with a great sense of humor. He used to have this mural painted on his truck with a bunch of girls running after him. He was running while trying to keep his barrel from falling.

CarMike
11-11-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. This Redskins fan will say a prayer for him.

Punisher
11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Every season ticket holder should wear a Barrel the whole season to Honor Him

broncocalijohn
11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Every season ticket holder should wear a Barrel the whole season to Honor Him

yeah, I guess we would have to stand up the whole time. Try getting 40 people in a barrel to be able to stand in the same row. I wonder if he will get his just due from the Broncos at one of the remaining games. Not sure if he goes as I didnt see him vs Browns. Broncos kind of shunned him when he started promoting the Gold during the USFL days.

colonelbeef
11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
My mom shot this pic of Barrel Man and myself. She failed to get the barrel, so it just came out looking like I was hugging a half naked drunk. In short, it came out perfect.

haha.

Barrel man is cut from a cloth few ever experience firsthand. To stand in Mile High wearing a barrel with no shirt or pants on during a snow storm takes serious balls.

Godspeed superfan

Bronco LB52
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
A local Denver TV station interviewed Barrel Man about attending his final game at Mile High this Sunday and this is what he had to say, "I just want to see Rivers eat Mile High dirt!"

sixtimeseight
11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe if she takes her shirt off.

gross

missingnumber7
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
A local Denver TV station interviewed Barrel Man about attending his final game at Mile High this Sunday and this is what he had to say, "I just want to see Rivers eat Mile High dirt!"

Quote of the week.

cutthemdown
11-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I sat near him watching the Broncos destroy the Chargers in 98 I believe it was. He signed a football I still have and I gave him a can of coke.

Greatest Bronco fan of all time= Barrel man. That dude loves him some Broncos. I only hope and pray that whatever time he has left is not spent in pain, but instead reading stories and posts of all the people who remember him. He made being a Bronco fan more fun, more enjoyable, and showed us all that being a fan is not about analyzing, being objective, being normal. He showed us being a fan is about being crazy whether they win or lose.

To truly enjoy the good times you have to be a huge fan through the bad times.

I'm a Bronco fan for life, no other teams matter, and Barrelman is one of the people that showed us all how to do that!!!!!

He will always be MR. Barrelman to me.

cutthemdown
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Quote of the week.

Damn I wish I was a pro football player.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-21-2009, 07:04 PM
oh my thats awful perhaps some miracle will happen and he wont die.

gunns
11-21-2009, 08:45 PM

He must have really enjoyed the last San Diego game. I'm glad

Meck77
11-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I sure would like to see the Broncos honor him at half time or something.

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I sure would like to see the Broncos honor him at half time or something.

here here

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-22-2009, 11:57 AM
the stupid team better not screw this up and make barrel mans last memory of mile high a suckfest

sixtimeseight
11-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Why is this going to be his last memory of Mile High? Did they just downgrade his prognosis to two days or something?

barters
11-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Why is this going to be his last memory of Mile High? Did they just downgrade his prognosis to two days or something?

That's what I was wondering!

Meck77
11-22-2009, 06:16 PM
He'll be back for another.

The Moops
11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Here's to the original Broncos Fan.

No other team has someone that compares to him.

TDmvp
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
He'll be back for another.

Good for him ... and it was hard not to think about him all game.
Hope he is doing ok.

Meck77
11-22-2009, 08:19 PM
That was purely my opinion TD and not any statement of fact. I do know he's a big fan and has a hard time staying away from the game. :thumbs:

baja
11-23-2009, 09:32 AM
All the best to Barrel man but you can't expect good health and carry an extra 100 pounds. In the final analysis we are responsible for our own health and are not victims of outside forces. Even what appear as accidents are of our own choosing. We should not feel sorry for anyone because they are on some level choosing the life experience they are having.

TDmvp
11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
All the best to Barrel man but you can't expect good health and carry an extra 100 pounds. In the final analysis we are responsible for our own health and are not victims of outside forces. Even what appear as accidents are of our own choosing. We should not feel sorry for anyone because they are on some level choosing the life experience they are having.

Classy ...
Baja proving without a shadow of a doubt once again that he is classless tactless POS and that he will stir any pot to start $hit no matter how serious the subject . Only a true pos would come into a thread wishing well a dieing man and insult him ...Time and place moron ....

bronco militia
11-23-2009, 02:04 PM

nice!

go colon blow your brains out

baja
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
nice!

go colon blow your brains out

You are a double standard mixed up turp. I have seen you be cruel and insensitive on many an occasion now because some guy ate himself into an early death you want to wine and wring your hands because he's barrel-man, suit yourself but check your standards and make sure your hypocrisy isn't showing.

baja
11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Classy ...
Baja proving without a shadow of a doubt once again that he is classless tactless POS and that he will stir any pot to start $hit no matter how serious the subject . Only a true pos would come into a thread wishing well a dieing man and insult him ...Time and place moron ....

You really should put me on ignore your life would be so easy and unchallenged. As Mock says buy a vowel.

BTW I'm not insulting him just pointing out we are responsible for our own health and he chose to eat himself to death. His choice not mine... Now do us both a favor and find that ignore feature.

watermock
11-23-2009, 07:09 PM
This is almost comedic.

Barrellman would probably agree.

bronco militia
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
You are a double standard mixed up turp. I have seen you be cruel and insensitive on many an occasion now because some guy ate himself into an early death you want to wine and wring your hands because he's barrel-man, suit yourself but check your standards and make sure your hypocrisy isn't showing.

next time just post "he had it coming" Ha!

you're a ****ing clown :clown:

baja
11-23-2009, 10:23 PM
next time just post "he had it coming" Ha!

you're a ****ing clown :clown:

You are insulted by a function of life how f'en misguided and arrogant is that.

Look dude, like is said in my first post I and sorry for Barrel Man, sorry that he didn't get that good health is earned by astute preventative measures and if you fail to get that you will continue to lead a willy nilly life coming to a haphazard end yourself..

Not my rule!!!

baja
11-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry folks this is supposed to be about Barrel-Man.

Well wishes to you Barrel Man may your every day be full of good...

bronco militia
11-24-2009, 07:39 AM

finally!....

baja
11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
finally!....

No, that was always my sentiment. I just simplified it so you could understand. ;D

bronco militia
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
No, that was always my sentiment. I just simplified it so you could understand. ;D

you picked the wrong thread to hold your sermon, asshole

TDmvp
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM

If you would have opened with this statement instead of being a preachy a$$hole no one would have said anything.

baja
11-24-2009, 02:33 PM
If you would have opened with this statement instead of being a preachy a$$hole no one would have said anything.

You should understand I care less that you mis-read almost all my posts, the ones that I care to communicate with do get it.

Meck77
11-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Saw the Bmans tailgate on tv. Props to you Woody. It is a family.

Vegas_Bronco
11-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Denver should retire his seat in the stands!

I wish him luck and hopefully things get better for you Bman!

I've always told my wife that when I die, I want my ashes sprinkled on the field so at least I can say I played a direct role in a game or two. :) Then, if you are a religious man, and believe in the resurrection, you'll be lifted up and resurrected on the morning of the first day (Sunday)....and who knows? - could be during a regular season game. Sick, I know, but you gotta understand how much I like this team.

Nemesis
12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Tim McKernan, know to legions of Denver Broncos fans and televsion viewers as the Barrel Man, died early today, relatives said.

Bronx33
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
tim mckernan, know to legions of denver broncos fans and televsion viewers as the barrel man, died early today, relatives said.

rip tim.....

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_13934615?source=commented-

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/1205/20091205__PANTHERS-BRONCOS.B0207~p1.jpg

TDmvp
12-05-2009, 02:43 PM
sigh

:(:(:(

Rip to a Bronco legend ...