PDA

View Full Version : AOL's "nflfanhouse" Bronco Haters?

Bronco Rob
11-03-2009, 07:26 PM
5.) Broncos (6-1) Last Week: 3

"Finally. I can't tell you how sick I was of writing "Josh McDaniels" and "undefeated" over and over. But I'm not so sure that these guys are "pretenders" (as my esteemed colleague KB called them recently). I mean, they're not the '72 Dolphins or even the '09 Saints, but at 6-1 and with the Skins, the Raiders and KC (twice) on the schedule, the playoffs still seem pretty likely". -- Will Brinson

BTW: "KB" is Kevin Blackistone

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/03/nfl-power-rankings-week-9-there-will-be-blood/

Ravens Expose Broncos as Pretenders

Posted Nov 01, 2009 7:40PM By Kevin Blackistone

BALTIMORE -- Bill Parcells is famous for assessing his team and the other guy's with a simple review of wins and losses, and an even simpler summation from that evidence: "You are what you are."

But even Parcells would've been hard-pressed to so easily judge undefeated Denver and .500 Baltimore before they met Sunday at Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium. And he certainly couldn't have done so after their contest was complete.

To be sure, the Ravens proved what many of us suspected after they beat down the Broncos 30-7. The Broncos weren't as good as their spotless record through their first six games suggested, and the Ravens were a lot better than their lukewarm 3-3 mark alluded.

What we've witnessed between these two teams over the first six weeks is a reversal of fortune. And there is a very good chance the script is about to get flipped again and wind up where it should be. The Broncos host the defending champions from Pittsburgh on the second Monday night of November, and the Ravens head to Cincinnati, who surprised them in Baltimore earlier this season, and then go to Cleveland, which should be renamed Bye.

That is, of course, getting ahead of ourselves, but the Ravens exposed the Broncos on Sunday as being well ahead of their development. They reminded everyone of why the Bears were so anxious to let quarterback Kyle Orton go: he is at his best not losing games and is heavily challenged to win them without lots of help.

Orton was yet another reason the Broncos didn't deserve to be mentioned on the rare perch of unbeatens this late into the season with New Orleans and Indianapolis, both quarterbacked by ridiculously prolific signal callers in Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. The Broncos' record compared to the Saints and Colts, but not their full body of work. Broncos' rookie coach Josh McDaniels almost admitted as much when it was all over in Baltimore and he finally made his way to the interview podium after a longer than normal wait. (It was his first loss as an NFL head coach.)

"This is always one of those things where you face a little adversity with a loss, and then you realize that maybe some of the things that you thought were good enough just aren't good enough."
-- Josh McDaniels

"This is always one of those things where you face a little adversity with a loss, and then you realize that maybe some of the things that you thought were good enough just aren't good enough," McDaniels said. "Even the things that you feel like you're doing well, after a loss, become more glaring, and you really take the time to evaluate what you are good at, and what you're not good at."

The Broncos thought they were good at defense. But the Ravens' offense scored 23 points against a Broncos' defense that came in ranked first in points allowed. They turned 11-of-18 third downs into first downs against a Denver defense that also was atop in the league in halting the opponent on third down.

The Broncos thought they were good at keeping the ball moving. But the Ravens' defense at least four times caught Broncos' running backs Correll Buckhalter and Knowshon Moreno behind the line of scrimmage after they entered the game leading the league in fewest negative plays.

The Broncos thought they were good in the return game with Eddie Royal. But the Ravens' special teams stymied Royal, who returned a kickoff and punt for a touchdown against the Chargers last month, and opened the second half with a touchdown return of its own by Lardarius Webb.

If the Broncos left Baltimore headed back to the drawing board, the Ravens entered their home stadium already having revisited it.

"We know what kind of team we have, and we know that we are capable of doing this kind of thing," announced Ravens' quarterback Joe Flacco after contributing to his team's win by completing 20-of-25 pass attempts including being perfect on his last 14 attempts.

The rest of the league would be foolish not to take notice.

After all, observers took note of these Ravens even in preseason when most everything is better off ignored. And none of us could ignore their very impressive beginning at the start of the season.

For the first time it appeared the Ravens had a potent offense to go along with their hallmark stout defense. They averaged 34 points per game in jumping to a 3-0 mark against two teams we know now are horrible (Kansas City and Cleveland) and one that is decent (San Diego). Then came a close loss At New England, a surprise loss at home to what is now a winning Bengals' club, and a two-point stumble in Minnesota, 33-31. That was their last outing before a bye week.

"It [a win] was there last week [Oct. 18], and we didn't come up with a way to win," Ravens' coach John Harbaugh said. "It was there two weeks ago [Oct. 11], and it was there three weeks ago [Oct. 4], but we didn't come up with a way to win.

"It was there today [Sunday] and we played better, coached better," Harbaugh summed up.

It was almost as if what the Broncos had done in getting to 6-0 was a reminder to the Ravens of their method of success: solid defense combined with mistake-free offense and opportunistic special teams. The Broncos were just doing a better job of imitating the Ravens than the Ravens had been doing their past three outings.

But this final tally didn't lie. It was just the record each team brought into this game that did.

http://kevin-blackistone.fanhouse.com/2009/11/01/ravens-expose-broncos-as-pretenders/

:dummy:

UberBroncoMan
11-03-2009, 07:41 PM
KB has let his minuscule fame on around the horn get to his head. He's just a **** tard, no reason to really read too much into it.

Bronco Rob
11-03-2009, 07:43 PM
KB has let his minuscule fame on around the horn get to his head. He's just a **** tard, no reason to really read too much into it.

He just made the "John Clayton" list.........

;)

Dr.5280
11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Had our offense been able to compliment our defensive effort then this would be a moot comentary.

Bronco Rob
11-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Had our offense been able to compliment our defensive effort then this would be a moot comentary.

:thumbs:

vancejohnson82
11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
so wait....let me get this straight

the Ravens played mistake free offense and played great on D and Special Teams...which makes them for real

we did the same thing for the first six weeks of the season and it makes us a pretender....

what did I miss here??

missingnumber7
11-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I mean, they're not the '72 Dolphins or even the '09 Saints...seriously...the 09 saints...really? Wow...thats gay.

WolfpackGuy
11-04-2009, 08:48 AM
So what are the Cowboys', Pats', and Chargers' excuses?

It was just the Ravens day which was clear from the first snap.

Bronco Rob
11-04-2009, 08:53 AM
"Finally. I can't tell you how sick I was of writing "Josh McDaniels" and "undefeated" over and over.

What a tool.

broncocalijohn
11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
so wait....let me get this straight

the Ravens played mistake free offense and played great on D and Special Teams...which makes them for real

we did the same thing for the first six weeks of the season and it makes us a pretender....

what did I miss here??

you missed the fact that if they said anything nice about the Broncos, it was always with a backhanded compliment or saying it to please the masses. I think it is great they had to bottle it all up for 8 weeks. Now their true colors come out. If we beat Steelers and take everything from the Skins, how will they spin it when we are 8-1? We will have 2 tough games left (besides SD at home) with Eagles on the road and Giants at home.

broncocalijohn
11-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I mean, they're not the '72 Dolphins or even the '09 Saints...seriously...the 09 saints...really? Wow...thats gay.

yes, compare us to the only undefeated team in the modern era and then make it sound like Saints 09 team is bad. Who stated that we were the #1 team in the NFL this year? I think we were happy when we got recognition for being in the top 5. Rankings dont give you anything in the pros except some respect.

missingnumber7
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
yes, compare us to the only undefeated team in the modern era and then make it sound like Saints 09 team is bad. Who stated that we were the #1 team in the NFL this year? I think we were happy when we got recognition for being in the top 5. Rankings dont give you anything in the pros except some respect.

I just think that the Saints team is being just handed a free pass. Their schedule sucks, NFC South is a 2 team race, and the 2 crappy teams are worse than the 2 Crappy AFC west teams. Never said we were #1 nor do i think we are top 5, however using these two teams in the same reference is a joke.

Beej
11-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Wow, this web site just became my most hated.

This is true disrespect, ranking the Steelers ahead of us at #4.

houghtam
11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Funny thing is, I'm sure that was a form letter saved on his hard drive since Week 3. Just fill in the blanks with names and teams and you've got an instant "See I TOLD You Broncos Were Pretenders" article.

It's all about the efficiency.

Be right back, I'm going to start writing my "See I TOLD You Blackistone Was A Child Molestor" article for when he's inevitably hauled off to jail.

Bronco Rob
11-04-2009, 07:07 PM
wow, this web site just became my most hated.

This is true disrespect, ranking the steelers ahead of us at #4.

^5

gunns
11-04-2009, 07:28 PM
"Finally. I can't tell you how sick I was of writing "Josh McDaniels" and "undefeated" over and over.

Basically he was sick of being wrong.

HILife
11-04-2009, 08:29 PM
So what are the Cowboys', Pats', and Chargers' excuses?

It was just the Ravens day which was clear from the first snap.

Don't forget the Cinny.

broncocalijohn
11-04-2009, 08:38 PM

In my eyes, he still is wrong. McDaniels is still a good coach.

Broncotilldeath
11-04-2009, 08:53 PM
If we beat the Steelers will we fall out of the top ten to this guy?

We beat quailty teams before our first loss, all of sudden we are pretenders?

doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Bronco Rob
11-05-2009, 06:37 AM

:afro:

broncofan7
11-05-2009, 06:58 AM
they reminded everyone of why the bears were so anxious to let quarterback kyle orton go: He is at his best not losing games and is heavily challenged to win them without lots of help.

the truth.

snowspot66
11-05-2009, 08:04 AM
the truth.

For **** sakes. Who in this league single handedly wins games? If you cite Elway you automatically lose this argument.

Tombstone RJ
11-05-2009, 08:21 AM
What a joke of an article. The colts have been steam rolling the competition but they are also the benefactors of a rediculously easy schedule. N.O. is on fire, no doubt. We shall see if they can keep it up in the playoffs.

Blackistone wants to thump his chest after the Broncos first loss if the season. He's gonna look silly when the Broncos destroy the stellers on MNF.

Popps
11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
What a joke of an article. The colts have been steam rolling the competition but they are also the benefactors of a rediculously easy schedule.

San Francisco absolutely could have won that game last week. I can't wait to see Indy play a real team. (If that ever happens.)

As for the article, it's sensational... but not far from the truth. Baltimore probably is a better team, and our 6-0 record probably was a bit misleading.

I also agree that we're basically very much like Baltimore, in principle and structure... which is great, because they're regular playoff contenders.

The "pretenders" thing is nonsense, though. We're probably in the upper 15% of teams in the league right now and could beat any team on a given day. We're 7 games into an entirely new system on both sides of the ball. To say we're "pretenders" is pretty silly. Especially when the very same article says we'll wind up in the playoffs.

snowspot66
11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
San Francisco absolutely could have won that game last week. I can't wait to see Indy play a real team. (If that ever happens.)

As for the article, it's sensational... but not far from the truth. Baltimore probably is a better team, and our 6-0 record probably was a bit misleading.

I also agree that we're basically very much like Baltimore, in principle and structure... which is great, because they're regular playoff contenders.

The "pretenders" thing is nonsense, though. We're probably in the upper 15% of teams in the league right now and could beat any team on a given day. We're 7 games into an entirely new system on both sides of the ball. To say we're "pretenders" is pretty silly. Especially when the very same article says we'll wind up in the playoffs.

They were better for that game. But I think we would win our fair share if we played multiple times. That game was one kick return away from being real close and if we get a turnover or two who knows what happens. And that's without the offense doing much of anything.