PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Scott Leaves Colorado Football

bombay
11-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Dan Hawkins is awesome.

Man-Goblin
11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Can't get much worse at CU right about now.

Rabb
11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
put Cody in at RB

24champ
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
He's going to UCLA. Whoohoo!

Doggcow
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
He's just going to be on a bigger stage, it's a money move.

Rohirrim
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Link? I don't blame him. Hawkins will destroy his collegiate career. Still, Bohn doesn't get it.

Flex Gunmetal
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
He's just going to be on a bigger stage, it's a money move.

I heard it's USC. Maybe he wants to win football games once in a while?

Flex Gunmetal
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Link? I don't blame him. Hawkins will destroy his collegiate career. Still, Bohn doesn't get it.

http://www.cubuffs.com/

They're so sad they wont even put up pics :(

Hercules Rockefeller
11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
It was on The Fan.

Don't blame him at all, good luck wherever he's transferring to.

**** you Talkins. Get the **** out.

Doggcow
11-03-2009, 02:37 PM

He's getting no recognition at CU, if he goes to a big name program it almost guarantees he gets drafted higher... This is another reason why the college football stage is grossly unbalanced.

Rohirrim
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
http://www.cubuffs.com/

They're so sad they wont even put up pics :(

When is this going to be over?

manchambo
11-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Ordinarily you might trust the coach in this situation and think that the player had not produced up to expectations.

But then you see the Cody situation and realize that this coach has no credibility.

I just don't know how the situation there can get much worse. It would appear that they honestly don't have enough money to can this guy, so it's hard to know how it will get any better in the near term.

supermanhr9
11-03-2009, 02:41 PM
oh man, That sucks. Another 10 years before Cu sits atop the Big 12

supermanhr9
11-03-2009, 02:42 PM
look at Nebraska how long it took for them, and they are still not quite there.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Can't get much worse at CU right about now.

Uhhhhh, if they don't dump Talkins at the end of the year, yeah it will be.

I guarantee you, Scott will not be the last transfer.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-03-2009, 02:43 PM
It would appear that they honestly don't have enough money to can this guy, so it's hard to know how it will get any better in the near term.

It's the first week in November, how many coaches get **** canned during the season?

If they keep him and claim money issues, that's an excuse but not reality. The money from donors to buy him out was there, this probably puts it over the top.

eddie mac
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM
When he committed it all looked so prosperous. What a turn of events within 18 months.

SureShot
11-03-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm wearing Powder Blue to the next game.

Flex Gunmetal
11-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Dunno, they put up pics. When I posted the link it had a big empty frame with 'no image available' and the current caption below.
He's getting no recognition at CU, if he goes to a big name program it almost guarantees he gets drafted higher... This is another reason why the college football stage is grossly unbalanced.
Indeed.

NFLBRONCO
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Nice going Dan Fairbanks

bombay
11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I believe that his 8 carries against Toledo were the most that the scumbag coach gave him. What a loser.

enjolras
11-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I wonder what scam Nuheisel (whatever) is running at UCLA to make this happen.

BroncoLifer
11-03-2009, 03:20 PM

When Bill McCartney comes back?

Hey, he's still a lot younger than Paterno!

24champ
11-03-2009, 03:25 PM

I heard he is wearing a UCLA shirt now on his facebook page. Also Scott's cousin, wide receiver Josh Smith, played two seasons at CU before transferring to UCLA this summer.

theAPAOps5
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Disgusting what Hawkins has done to this program. I mean he was supposed to be the golden child. Keeps getting worse. I want to send Spider over there to throat punch him and not apologize.

Even better someone registered Firedanhawkins.com (http://firedanhawkins.com/) so no one would be mean! :spit:

theAPAOps5
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I heard he is wearing a UCLA shirt now on his facebook page. Also Scott's cousin, wide receiver Josh Smith, played two seasons at CU before transferring to UCLA this summer.

The minute Josh Smith transferred I new Scott wasn't far behind.

bombay
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Listening to Alfred Williams, and Alfred said 'the job is too big for dan hawkins'. He absolutely nailed it. The only person in the state who's worse at his job is sitting next to Al. Dmac brings absolutely nothing to the table. Why that moron has a radio job I'll never know.

theAPAOps5
11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Listening to Alfred Williams, and Alfred said 'the job is too big for dan hawkins'. He absolutely nailed it. The only person in the state who's worse at his job is sitting next to Al. Dmac brings absolutely nothing to the table. Why that moron has a radio job I'll never know.

Alfred William is going off! And I love it!

As for Dmac yeah he isn't great but he and Alfred actually do well together. At least that tool Oren is off the Fan. That guys sucked donkey balls.

24champ
11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
The minute Josh Smith transferred I new Scott wasn't far behind.

Who else is good on CU that UCLA can poach? ;D

theAPAOps5
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Who else is good on CU that UCLA can poach? ;D

I don't know anymore! Hawkins has killed my Buffs. Heck if there is anyone talented I hold no ill will for transferring. They aren't getting paid they don't get to move around like coaches do. They have a brief window to do something great on the football field. If its clear it will be tainted by some skank in over his head then get out and take your year off to restart.

bombay
11-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Alfred William is going off! And I love it!

As for Dmac yeah he isn't great but he and Alfred actually do well together. At least that tool Oren is off the Fan. That guys sucked donkey balls.

dmac is garbage. Worse at his job than hawkins is.

spdirty
11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm wearing Powder Blue to the next game.

Me too. And Ill get the old lady to wear pwder blue as well.

I just wish we had a T. Boone Pickens that would give this school a boatload of money and get a good coach and some facilities in here.

So sick of this bullshlt.

Swedish Extrovert
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Effin ridiculous.

Blambe Hawkins for messing up probably the best recruit CU has seen since he got here by not utilizing him properly.

24champ
11-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Sophomore tailback Darrell Scott, the most highly-rated recruit signed in Colorado coach Dan Hawkins' four years, has left the program.

"I'd been thinking about it for a couple of months," Scott told The Denver Post today in a telephone interview.

Scott said he hoped to get a release from CU to UCLA, so he could join his uncle, former Buffs wideout Josh Smith, with the Bruins. Smith, a wide receiver, transferred to UCLA during the summer and is sitting out this season under NCAA transfer rules.

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_13704254

theAPAOps5
11-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Couldn't resist!

http://www.zazzle.com/go_coach_intramurals_brother_tshirt-235158398241396751

Any proceeds will go to buying out Dan Talkins! :)

NFLBRONCO
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
While Scott was a decade long prized recruit he never played like one. Of course this program is crap and it will be for along time unless they pull a Wabbit out of ther hat :).

theAPAOps5
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
While Scott was a decade long prized recruit he never played like one. Of course this program is crap and it will be for along time unless they pull a Wabbit out of ther hat :).

Sandy Clough put it best when he said that Scott leaving was a blip on the radar in terms of substance but HUGE in terms of Symbolism.

He didn't live up to his hype at CU but he was the crown jewel, the feather in the cap for Talkins. Now he has left so it represents what has happened to this program.

bronco militia
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Sandy Clough put it best when he said that Scott leaving was a blip on the radar in terms of substance but HUGE in terms of Symbolism.

He didn't live up to his hype at CU but he was the crown jewel, the feather in the cap for Talkins. Now he has left so it represents what has happened to this program.

I agree with Sandy and NFLDonk

Hercules Rockefeller
11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Heck if there is anyone talented I hold no ill will for transferring.

I feel the same way. They suck now, so it's not like they'll be that much worse, and the talented guys don't play because they're not walk-ons. Scott might be enough to get Talk out of here at the end of the season, but more and more guys leaving will push it over the top unfortunately.

DBruleU
11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I keep hearing everyone say Josh Smith is Darrels cousin, but I believe Smith is Scott's Uncle? Am I wrong?

bombay
11-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Precisely. Clough nailed it. Not that Texas or Oklahoma needs any further ammunition in the negative recruiting arsenal vs. CU, but they certainly have it.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I keep hearing everyone say Josh Smith is Darrels cousin, but I believe Smith is Scott's Uncle? Am I wrong?

You're right

Hercules Rockefeller
11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Precisely. Clough nailed it. Not that Texas or Oklahoma needs any further ammunition in the negative recruiting arsenal vs. CU, but they certainly have it.

They're not recruiting against each other. Out of all of CU's known commits right now (7), not counting their CU offers, there are a total of 4 BCS offers between them all.

bombay
11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Whatever. Colorado probably recruits against other schools at times.

NFLBRONCO
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I feel the same way. They suck now, so it's not like they'll be that much worse, and the talented guys don't play because they're not walk-ons. Scott might be enough to get Talk out of here at the end of the season, but more and more guys leaving will push it over the top unfortunately.

I think they need to get Hawk out period. Who they can get to turn this thing around who knows. They need a true football guy not a salesman only type like Hawkins.

BroncoMan4ever
11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
When he committed it all looked so prosperous. What a turn of events within 18 months.

i about **** a brick when i heard he committed to CU when he basically had his pick of any school in the nation

bpc
11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
This just destroys me. I can't stand Dan Hawkins.

BroncoMan4ever
11-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I think they need to get Hawk out period. Who they can get to turn this thing around who knows. They need a true football guy not a salesman only type like Hawkins.

they should go after Kyle Shanahan. i am being serious, he has a great football mind, and is going to be a HC candidate in the NFL within 5 years. it would be a good move on his part to get his learning curve out of the way in the college ranks for a few years and then come back to the NFL

Man-Goblin
11-04-2009, 06:26 AM
they should go after Kyle Shanahan. i am being serious, he has a great football mind, and is going to be a HC candidate in the NFL within 5 years. it would be a good move on his part to get his learning curve out of the way in the college ranks for a few years and then come back to the NFL

I think that's aiming too high, at this point. The KS/Kubiak has been outstanding and Kyle could be an NFL head coach candidate sooner than you think, especially if the Texans get into the playoffs this year (which I think they will).

My hope was the Texans would fold this year and Kubiak would take the CU job on the rebound, ten years belated. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

ColoradoBuff
11-04-2009, 07:18 AM
I think that's aiming too high, at this point. The KS/Kubiak has been outstanding and Kyle could be an NFL head coach candidate sooner than you think, especially if the Texans get into the playoffs this year (which I think they will).

My hope was the Texans would fold this year and Kubiak would take the CU job on the rebound, ten years belated. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Mike Shanahan:wave:

Rohirrim
11-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Mike Shanahan:wave:

Must be tough keeping that handle. ;D

Rohirrim
11-04-2009, 07:45 AM

I think they need a steady, well-established hand that represents instant credibility. I can just imagine Kyle going on the recruiting circuit for this destroyed program. I don't see that working. Of course, that would take money. And I just don't see CU coming up with it. They need somebody like a Jon Gruden. Instantly recognizable.

ColoradoBuff
11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
I think they need a steady, well-established hand that represents instant credibility. I can just imagine Kyle going on the recruiting circuit for this destroyed program. I don't see that working. Of course, that would take money. And I just don't see CU coming up with it. They need somebody like a Jon Gruden. Instantly recognizable.

I'd love Gruden...I think he would have that Pete Carroll appeal to him. Don't know if we can afford him or not.....that's why I like Shanahan. We can afford to pay him say 500k till his contract with the Broncos runs out...then we have to pony up to keep him!

Man-Goblin
11-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I'd love Gruden...I think he would have that Pete Carroll appeal to him. Don't know if we can afford him or not.....that's why I like Shanahan. We can afford to pay him say 500k till his contract with the Broncos runs out...then we have to pony up to keep him!

I don't think Mike wants to do the college thing.

ColoradoBuff
11-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't think Mike wants to do the college thing.

Came very, very close to taking the Florida job years ago. He was first choice over Urban Meyer.

jsco70
11-04-2009, 09:48 AM
My opinion is that getting a big time coach at CU will never happen. CU wouldn't pay a coach the amount of money to inherit a program with a lack of administration support, a fair weather fan base (for the most part), a rapid deteriorating season ticket base, and the overall state of the program. Coach Mac captured lightening in a bottle and worked miracles. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Bohn's "homerun" hire has set the program back another 5-10 years in my opinion. And yes, I'm bitter about it.

NFLBRONCO
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
My opinion is that getting a big time coach at CU will never happen. CU wouldn't pay a coach the amount of money to inherit a program with a lack of administration support, a fair weather fan base (for the most part), a rapid deteriorating season ticket base, and the overall state of the program. Coach Mac captured lightening in a bottle and worked miracles. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Bohn's "homerun" hire has set the program back another 5-10 years in my opinion. And yes, I'm bitter about it.

I've wondered that they were so intent on cleaning up program they never looked at the football side when they hired Hawk.

Rohirrim
11-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately, as the DP pointed out today:

BOULDER — It would likely cost Colorado well over $3 million to make a change in head football coaches this year, CU athletic director Mike Bohn confirmed to The Denver Post on Tuesday.

Before answering a question about costs associated with a coaching change, Bohn made it clear that he fully supports coach Dan Hawkins and expects Hawkins will build a successful program at CU.

"To be honest with you, we haven't even begun to look at all (the potential costs)," Bohn said. "But if that happened, you would have to figure in relocation costs and so many other things with new coaches and new staff. That's not something we're focused on at this point, however."

Last October, Hawkins received a two-year contract extension through the 2012 season. The new contract eliminated a clause in Hawkins' original five-year contract that limited CU's liability to $850,000 per year.

If Hawkins were to be terminated after this season, his current contract would allow him to recover the three-year income totals from his base salary ($518,773 for 2010-12); income from radio, TV and other appearances ($1,729,572); summer camp revenues ($173,965); and supplemental income from sponsorship support ($704,902). That adds up to $3,127,212.

Additionally, if Hawkins were to be fired before Jan. 31, 2010, he would receive a prorated amount from this year's compensation package.

Additional expenses, including relocation costs and the cost of hiring a new coach, probably would increase the final tally to about $3.4 million, Bohn said.

Tom Kensler, The Denver Post

Hawk is going nowhere. The program is going to have to get so bad, and the pressure so intense on the board, that Bohn and Hawk get kicked out the door together. Maybe some wealthy alums will step up to the plate and make something happen. Otherwise, it won't.

jsco70
11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Hawk is going nowhere. The program is going to have to get so bad, and the pressure so intense on the board, that Bohn and Hawk get kicked out the door together. Maybe some wealthy alums will step up to the plate and make something happen. Otherwise, it won't.

Agreed. You'd think someone with some coin could pitch in based on how the university touts its academic standards. Not to mention all the former Buffs who played in the NFL. I think at one point in the 90's CU had the most players in the NFL.

Sometimes I wonder if the lack of alumni financial support stems from the fact CU is a transient school. I don't know the exact figures, but it has always seemed the majority of students are from outside of Colorado.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-04-2009, 12:03 PM
You realize that some point, Hawk costs the program more to keep than to fire? They were doing 2 for 1s for Missouri and still had 7 or 8k empty seats. The day after Thanksgiving will be predominantly red.

Talk's gone, Bohn isn't going to come out and say that with 4 games left though.

Shanny was choice #1 over Zook, not Meyer.

NFLBRONCO
11-04-2009, 12:35 PM
You realize that some point, Hawk costs the program more to keep than to fire? They were doing 2 for 1s for Missouri and still had 7 or 8k empty seats. The day after Thanksgiving will be predominantly red.

Talk's gone, Bohn isn't going to come out and say that with 4 games left though.

Any ideas who could help this program now coach wise? This will be a tough sell.

Rohirrim
11-04-2009, 01:03 PM

I seriously don't think I will watch it if that is true. That would hurt too bad.

Dudeskey
11-04-2009, 03:11 PM

kicking them both to the curb would be a good start.

spdirty
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Turner Gill or Dave Logan.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Turner Gill or Dave Logan.

1. Former Corn coach who is gone if Pelini gets fired and they want him

2. HS coach who no one outside of Colorado knows dick about. A guy who should be winning the state championship every year with the talent he recruits to Mullen, and yet he doesn't. I'm not sure if there is a worse choice than Logan.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Any ideas who could help this program now coach wise? This will be a tough sell.

One thing I'll give Talk credit for is that the stigma that was attached to the program after Barney left is pretty much gone. There's no one left on the team (player-wise) that was around for the scandal. I think they can do something now that they couldn't do when they fired Barnett, look at someone with ties to the program. Bienemy? Embree? Maybe not one of those two, but I think whoever it is will have ties to Mac.

theAPAOps5
11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
1. Former Corn coach who is gone if Pelini gets fired and they want him

2. HS coach who no one outside of Colorado knows dick about. A guy who should be winning the state championship every year with the talent he recruits to Mullen, and yet he doesn't. I'm not sure if there is a worse choice than Logan.

Um Dave Logan might not be my first choice but you are wrong on some of your assertions.

Dave Logan has won everywhere he has coached. Helps with in-state recruiting which isn't great but isn't bad. He is a pro player and has a good pedigree. He has NFL ties and is very connected.

I think there is better options but Dave Logan is not one of the worse choices.

SureShot
11-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Dave Logan is not one of the worse choices.

Compared to who? Dan Hawkins?

SureShot
11-04-2009, 07:20 PM

It will be a much easier sell than after Barnett left.

theAPAOps5
11-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Compared to who? Dan Hawkins?

This is rhetorical right......right?

Again not an advocate for Logan but he isn't the bottom of the barrel either.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Um Dave Logan might not be my first choice but you are wrong on some of your assertions.

Dave Logan has won everywhere he has coached. Helps with in-state recruiting which isn't great but isn't bad. He is a pro player and has a good pedigree. He has NFL ties and is very connected.

I think there is better options but Dave Logan is not one of the worse choices.

Yeah he is. He's a high school coach with no coaching experience at the college or pro level. I realize he's the great Dave Logan, but the guy ain't the ****. Again, he should never lose a game at Mullen those teams are so stacked.

That's great if he can recruit in-state. This isn't Texas, Cali, Louisiana, Ohio, Florida, or Georgia, you can't build a program with just Colorado kids and he's got no pull outside of this state. No one knows who he is, I doubt even Browns fans can tell their kids about him.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Again not an advocate for Logan but he isn't the bottom of the barrel either.

A coach with absolutely 0 coaching experience above the high school level is the bottom of the barrel.

Spare me the BS that he has other things going on. If Dave wanted to be a college head coach, then he needs to put in his time and work his way up the ladder after proving he can get it done as a position coach and then a coordinator at that level. He hasn't.

theAPAOps5
11-04-2009, 07:50 PM
A coach with absolutely 0 coaching experience above the high school level is the bottom of the barrel.

Spare me the BS that he has other things going on. If Dave wanted to be a college head coach, then he needs to put in his time and work his way up the ladder after proving he can get it done as a position coach and then a coordinator at that level. He hasn't.

Yep can't argue with you. If he really wanted to be a college coach he would take the step necessary. But again he isn't the worst choice at this point. But I think if Hawkins goes the school needs to really reflect and figure this out.

The school is long past the McCartney and the glory days. The coaches since haven't panned out. So they need to get this right.

bombay
11-04-2009, 07:53 PM
A Big XII program that historically is top 25 in the country and life in Boulder, Colorado isn't a tough sell.

NFLBRONCO
11-04-2009, 08:40 PM
A Big XII program that historically is top 25 in the country and life in Boulder, Colorado isn't a tough sell.

While I agree with your points here and image is better helps. We haven't been top 25 lately. The part I see as a tough sell is

Contract $$$
Backing from boosters isn't the greatest
Program is low (IE Fairbanks era low)
Talent is very bad

Don't get me wrong I want to RTD but, it will take alot of work and the right guy.

jsco70
11-05-2009, 07:03 AM
As I mentioned above, a big name coach is going to want:

1. a huge pile of money which the CU athletic dept. doesn't have.
2. a long term commitment to blow it up and start over...again.
3. better facilities which we all know isn't going to happen due to #1 above.
4. an expectation of some semblance of support from the administration which won't happen either.

In my opinion, CU is going to have to hire a second, third tier guy and hope he can develop. I think they should try and copy the Mac hire with a coordinator from a solid program. The problem in that scenario is CU faces the prospect that the new hire will start to turn the program, then bolt for a higher profile opportunity.

As for Dave Logan, I'm not inspired by him. He would have acted by now if he truly wanted to coach in college. I think his time is past in that regard. Besides, why would he give up his current gig as HS coach, bank spokesman and Broncos broadcaster to face the mighty challenges the CU program will present? Not to mention the fact if he fails. I don't think the rewards will outweight the risks. However, I do admit he would have solid fan support and probably would be given a lot more patience than most.

lex
11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Came very, very close to taking the Florida job years ago. He was first choice over Urban Meyer.

I think that was when they hired Zook.

lex
11-05-2009, 08:28 AM

What about Turner Gill?

It would be good on multiple fronts.

bombay
11-05-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-football-fyi5-2009nov05,0,1604061.story

Looks like UCLA is going to pass on Scott.

bpc
11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I wish Scott the best... but I kinda think that is funny.

He should go to Oregon anyway.

ColoradoBuff
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM

A big reason CU will never land a Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, etc kind of coach is because of TABOR!

ColoradoBuff
11-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I wish Scott the best... but I kinda think that is funny.

He should go to Oregon anyway.

My guess is Oregon or Cal.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
A big reason CU will never land a Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, etc kind of coach is because of TABOR!

Thought it was the Gallagher Amendment?

Regardless, people need perspective if CU Football is the reason they don't like either of those checks on government spending.

Also, how bad would the situation be now if they had to buy out all of Talk's assistants at the same time too?