PDA

View Full Version : Ravens show Steelers how to beat Broncos

HEAV
11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Kyle Orton might not be John Elway, but he's playing great football and doesn't make huge mistakes. That's what Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will have you believe when he does his weekly sit-down with the media today and looks ahead to the next opponent, the Denver Broncos Monday night at Invesco Field at Mile High. The stage isn't too big for rookie running back Knowshon Moreno. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall can take the rock to the house on any play. Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's unit is rock-solid. Linebacker Elvis Dumervil's motor never stops and he has an AFC-best 10 sacks to prove it. Eight-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey might be the best football player on the planet. Return man Eddie Royal is capable of making it three consecutive opponents with a kickoff return for a touchdown. Punter Mitch Berger is a terrific weapon when it comes to field position ...

OK, not even Tomlin will go that far.

But you get the idea.

Part of Tomlin's job is to make every opponent seem like a Super Bowl contender. That is so unnecessary. His players are smart enough to know they can't overlook any team. On any given Monday night, right? As for the rest of us, we're too smart to buy into it when it's not justified. And this time, it's just not despite the Broncos' 6-1 record, their raucous crowd and the advantage of playing in mile-high altitude.

Did you see that 30-7 beating the Baltimore Ravens put on the Broncos Sunday?

Talk about thorough.

Mills Lane would have stopped it early in the fourth quarter if it were a fight.

"Who said we'd go 16-0?" Broncos linebacker Andra Davis asked afterward, trying to justify the whipping when no justification seemed reasonable.

Usually, the Steelers have a hatred for all things Baltimore, but the Ravens did them a favor by unveiling the perfect game plan to make the Broncos look like, well, the Browns. Spread the field offensively and go no-huddle to play a high-tempo game, which seems to be right up quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's alley. Play the safeties high on defense to take away Marshall's big plays and force the Broncos to methodically move up the field. Orton isn't good enough to pull that off against a strong defense. There's a reason the Chicago Bears couldn't wait to get rid of him, you know? He threw for just 90 yards against the Ravens before their defense softened in the final two minutes. Marshall's four catches went for just 24 yards. The Broncos' only scoring drive benefited from 44 penalty yards. Their 200 yards of offense were their fewest in six years.

"The key against them is to keep the ball in front of you," Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said. "Then, if they do catch it, have nine or 10 guys flying to make the tackle. That's our mentality, anyway."

That's pretty much the Steelers' mentality, as well. Stop running backs Moreno and Correll Buckhalter, who combined for 55 yards against the Ravens, and force Orton to beat them. He didn't throw an interception again Sunday and has just one pick this season. But he averaged just 4.22 yards per pass against the Ravens. Take away that final meaningless drive and that number drops to 3.21. That's so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see it. Roethlisberger's season average is 8.85, by comparison.

"We just didn't really do a whole lot," Orton said.

Steelers linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley can rattle this guy. The Ravens certainly did. Orton never seemed right after blitzing linebacker Jarret Johnson came in untouched and sacked him hard on the first play for an 8-yard loss.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco didn't have nearly the same trouble against what had been a pretty stout Broncos defense. He completed his final 14 passes for 156 yards and a touchdown. The Broncos, who, remarkably, hadn't allowed a third-down conversion in the second half of their previous four games, allowed Flacco to convert 6 of 8 second-half chances. They couldn't get off the field. Literally.

"Specifically, we spread them out," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "We went a lot of no-huddle in the second half. So we kept some of [their] players on the field maybe more than they wanted. They weren't able to substitute as much as they normally do. I think the tempo was really fast."

Does that sound like Roethlisberger's game or what?

"We've got a lot of work ahead of us here, a lot of improving to do," Broncos rookie coach Josh McDaniels said after the Ravens' fiasco, well aware that the world champs are coming to town.

"I'm disappointed in myself, disappointed in the way our team played. I think we're a better football team than that."

So does Tomlin, who will be glad to tell you all about it a little later today.

Hey, that's his story and he's sticking to it.

Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09307/1010366-66.stm?cmpid=cook.xml#ixzz0VpGZobOY
-----------

Now I'm pissed:cuss:

Man-Goblin
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Damnit. Why did they have to go ahead and do that. Season is over. 3-13 here we come.

Popps
11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I like all of this talk.

The assumption being that Pittsburgh can make adjustments off of what they see on film, and we can't.

Should be fun. :)

LRtagger
11-03-2009, 11:36 AM
The blueprint is out!!! All is lost.

Peoples Champ
11-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Bears show broncos how to beat steelers!

Doggcow
11-03-2009, 11:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing, rofl

Smiling Assassin27
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Schemes don't win games, execution of schemes does. Until I see Pittsburgh do what Baltimore did to us, I discount this article's premise. Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the teeth. The matchup isn't great v the Steelers, but it's a hell of a lot better than our matchup v the Ravens. Harrison and Woodley are really the only front 7 players that pose a problem. Polamalu is the only one in the secondary. The Ravens front 7 was problematic--EVERY guy.

We should be able to move the ball if we account for Harrison and Woodley and our quickness will pose problems for them. On defense, I really see their OL having all kinds of problems with our blitz packages. The problem will be getting Ben down when we get to him. He just doesn't go down and our guys have a tendency to miss the qb when we get there. If we let him keep plays alive, he'll make a few plays.

Rohirrim
11-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that pretty much how you beat any team? The trick is do keep doing it every week. The Ravens pulled it off last week. Will they pull it off against Cincy? I don't think so. Will the Steelers pull it off at Mile High? Tomlin might be surprised to see an entirely different team, and gameplan, on Monday night. Enjoy the film studies.

bronco militia
11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
nfl games are not played in a vacuum.

that's why we tune in every week

labronx
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I personally think we installed a limited game plan...not much innovation...kinda like... facing the Ravens back in the Grease years....we had to lose a game somewhere and I think this was ideal...we may face that team in the playoffs...we did not really show them anything....We definitely opened up the playbook a bit more against SD. Looks like Moreno is starting to see his blocks better and may start springing some long runs soon. This would be huge....I think what McD did against NE was prep for teams like Bal. They brought alot more to the table and McD...knows it...This will be great study material for our lilttle genius...

broncocalijohn
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I like all of this talk.

The assumption being that Pittsburgh can make adjustments off of what they see on film, and we can't.

Should be fun. :)

They need to execute the plays too. Ravens have the defense to do that, but does every team in the NFL have that same ability? Sure we will lose more games when the matchups dont favor us. It is a 16 game schedule. Make the playoffs and either hope we dont play a Ravens type team or make pregame adjustments. We had no answer during halftime (or during 2nd half) on their adjustments. They out coached and out played us. Let us see if the other teams on our schedule has the ability to do what the Ravens just did.

Mr.Meanie
11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh crap they have teh bluprint!

BossChief
11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
posts like this make me wonder...besides the fact that your offensive and defensive lines can be overpowered by elite ones, what got "exposed" sunday that wasnt already "exposed" during the first 6 games?

I really didnt see much to that respect.

Maybe Im wrong.

Doggcow
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM
posts like this make me wonder...besides the fact that your offensive and defensive lines can be overpowered by elite ones, what got "exposed" sunday that wasnt already "exposed" during the first 6 games?

I really didnt see much to that respect.

Maybe Im wrong.

You sure you're talking about the Broncos and you arnt talking about KC getting exposed every week?

DarkHorse
11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Blueprint is out - I just downloaded a clean copy of it.

6-12 here we are

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6703900/2/istockphoto_6703900-football-blueprint.jpg

Rigs11
11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
didn't we show everyone how to beat the patsies?And how many points have they scored since then?it's a bunch of nonsense. if our line would have given orton time on sunday the outcome would have been different.

jhat01
11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Teams will be watching that film for three years! At least that's what TJ said yesterday. Every team gets handed an ass whipping at some point. It probably won't be our last either. People have been saying all year that we don't push the ball deep, suddenly now it's a big deal? We were exposed? Bull...
There is no secret here...This formula for winning has been around since the beginning..If the team lines up in front of you and kicks your ass with their pass rush, tackling, turn overs, special teams and field position...you will lose! Oh snap, I just spilled the secret! Jeezus...We got our butts kicked, it happens. It's not rocket science, and I'm sure this well coached team will bounce back at home.

scorpio
11-03-2009, 12:34 PM
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/avatars/7/9477.gif

bombay
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Teams will be watching that film for three years! At least that's what TJ said yesterday. Every team gets handed an ass whipping at some point. It probably won't be our last either. People have been saying all year that we don't push the ball deep, suddenly now it's a big deal? We were exposed? Bull...
There is no secret here...This formula for winning has been around since the beginning..If the team lines up in front of you and kicks your ass with their pass rush, tackling, turn overs, special teams and field position...you will lose! Oh snap, I just spilled the secret! Jeezus...We got our butts kicked, it happens. It's not rocket science, and I'm sure this well coached team will bounce back at home.

Bingo. A talented and motivated team got their foot on our throats and didn't let up.

snowspot66
11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Did the author even bother to watch the game? Of course they kept everything in front of them. We didn't block for ****.

Beat our blocking and you win. Who'd a thunk it eh?

I don't know why on the other side of the ball people are saying we got torched.

We gave up 3 on a turnover that happened IN field goal range and 7 on a kick return. Oooooooh 20 points actually allowed to the Ravens. They got BURNED! ****, 7 of those 20 came in garbage time anyway. We sure got destroyed didn't we?

Surprising stat of the day?

Broncos First Downs - 17
Ravens First Downs - 16

Orton had 25 less yards than Flacco.

If we would have ****ing blocked God knows what that stat line would have looked like. If I were a Ravens fan I'd be ****ing terrified. To have the defense play their best game of the year and we played our worst and to have a stat line like that? Doesn't bode well for them.

baja
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Schemes don't win games, execution of schemes does. Until I see Pittsburgh do what Baltimore did to us, I discount this article's premise. Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the teeth. The matchup isn't great v the Steelers, but it's a hell of a lot better than our matchup v the Ravens. Harrison and Woodley are really the only front 7 players that pose a problem. Polamalu is the only one in the secondary. The Ravens front 7 was problematic--EVERY guy.

We should be able to move the ball if we account for Harrison and Woodley and our quickness will pose problems for them. On defense, I really see their OL having all kinds of problems with our blitz packages. The problem will be getting Ben down when we get to him. He just doesn't go down and our guys have a tendency to miss the qb when we get there. If we let him keep plays alive, he'll make a few plays.

Just think we could have had Trevor Pryce all these years he wanted to stay here but noooo.

Too bad Shanny was too busy to take the call from Rodney Harrison, he was the guy that made that NE defense go. Couldn't have used any of that right.

We could have had a good D all those years and Josh & Nolan have proved that with what they have done in one season.

Oh well Football is fun again. ;D

baja
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I personally think we installed a limited game plan...not much innovation...kinda like... facing the Ravens back in the Grease years....<b>we had to lose a game somewhere and I think this was ideal...</b>we may face that team in the playoffs...we did not really show them anything....We definitely opened up the playbook a bit more against SD. Looks like Moreno is starting to see his blocks better and may start springing some long runs soon. This would be huge....I think what McD did against NE was prep for teams like Bal. They brought alot more to the table and McD...knows it...This will be great study material for our lilttle genius...

I agree with this. I think the team will learn so much about themselves from this game. I bet in hindsight we will look back to this loss and point to it as the game that helped us bring it all together.

I look for a big improvement, next level improvement, from the offense this week.

BroncoMan4ever
11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
i am calling it right now. Denver stomps on Pittsburgh

crawdad
11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
The KO return for a TD at the start of the half knocked the wind right out of us. We will be back!

WolfpackGuy
11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
It was just the Ravens day, but the game was closer than the final score indicated.
That kick return to start the second half was a killer.
I remember sitting in the stands saying "Are you fuggin kidding me?"

SoonerBronco
11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Yep, I love the mane. First loss of the year and the sky is falling...

one loss the season does not make folks.

HILife
11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh crap they have teh bluprint!

I know man! That was a pretty good album. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure some of the Broncos players have that album.

http://www.lib.washington.edu/media/hiphop/images/covers/jayz_blueprint.jpg

UberBroncoMan
11-03-2009, 01:23 PM

They won without having to face Troy though!

IMO we laid off the deep throw so much because McDaniels didn't trust Orton and Orton probably didn't trust himself.

I see the same **** vs Pitt because of Polamalu.

azbroncfan
11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
The blueprint of pressuring the quarterback on Defense and picking up 3 rds downs is a new evolution in football.

rastaman
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM
They won without having to face Troy though!

IMO we laid off the deep throw so much because McDaniel's didn't trust Orton and Orton probably didn't trust himself.

I see the same **** vs Pitt because of Polamalu.

Hopefully we aren't as predictable offensively scheme wise against the Steelers as we were against the Ravens.

Hopefully, McD will allow both Jordan and Hillis in the back field together to add extra protection for Orton and to add more power to our running attack. Especially in 3rd and short.

Keeping both Hillis and Jordan back there to max protect Orton will go along way in giving Kyle time to throw the deep ball. Besides, we already know the Steelers will be blitzing on steroids next Sunday. Max protecting Orton and helping out the O Line by leaving two RB's in to block on passing attempts will be keys to winning against the Steelers.

We saw last week what happens to our defense when they're out on the field too much....the Defense gets worn down b/c the Offense are executing too many 3 downs and punts.

Hulamau
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I cant wait to see the Steelers run a no huddle hurry up spread offense like the Ravens apparently did ALL during the SECOND HALF at MILE HIGH :-) Their entire team would be gassed by the third series ... Good Luck with THAT numbskull! Hines Ward's lungs would explode in flames.

bombay
11-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I have no idea why they would bother to play this game.

Doggcow
11-03-2009, 03:13 PM
even if we lose we go 11-5 at the worst and still make the playoffs.

DarkHorse30
11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Did the author even bother to watch the game? Of course they kept everything in front of them. We didn't block for ****.

Beat our blocking and you win. Who'd a thunk it eh?

I don't know why on the other side of the ball people are saying we got torched.

We gave up 3 on a turnover that happened IN field goal range and 7 on a kick return. Oooooooh 20 points actually allowed to the Ravens. They got BURNED! ****, 7 of those 20 came in garbage time anyway. We sure got destroyed didn't we?

Surprising stat of the day?

Broncos First Downs - 17
Ravens First Downs - 16

Orton had 25 less yards than Flacco.

If we would have ****ing blocked God knows what that stat line would have looked like. If I were a Ravens fan I'd be ****ing terrified. To have the defense play their best game of the year and we played our worst and to have a stat line like that? Doesn't bode well for them.

Nice post, because I'm an optimist.

On another topic, that first play was horrible, but I expected it. Josh hasn't been able to gameplan an opening drive yet. I'm waiting.

TonyR
11-07-2009, 10:09 AM
BRONCOS (+3) over Steelers
I am not buying the whole "Baltimore proved how to stop Denver's offense" thing. At all. Guarantee Josh McDaniels studied what the Ravens did for 75 hours this week and made all the necessary adjustments. Beware of the altitude; beware of Elvis and Knowshon; and most of all, beware of the Neck Beard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/091106

Steve Sewell
11-07-2009, 01:45 PM
BRONCOS (+3) over Steelers
I am not buying the whole "Baltimore proved how to stop Denver's offense" thing. At all. Guarantee Josh McDaniels studied what the Ravens did for 75 hours this week and made all the necessary adjustments. Beware of the altitude; beware of Elvis and Knowshon; and most of all, beware of the Neck Beard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/091106

Wait we're 6-1, and 3 point underdogs at home on Monday night? Jesus.