PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Broncos' offense needs more from backs

Bronco Rob
11-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Broncos' offense needs more from backs

Posted Nov. 02, 2009 @ 2:05 p.m.
By Dan Parr

The Broncos proved they could do wrong on Sunday, as the Ravens handed them their first loss of the season, 30-7, in Baltimore. Denver never established much of a rhythm, as the team mustered their smallest offensive output of the season by totaling 200 yards and seven points, and an efficient effort by QB Joe Flacco paired with a few big runs by Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain were all the Ravens needed to put the Broncos away.

At 6-1, Denver has a two-game lead over the Chargers in the AFC West, but head coach Josh McDaniels' club actually has been outscored 80-78 in its last four games. The Broncos' dominant defense helped overshadow an offense that has been efficient, but not as spectacular as the team's overall record might suggest.

The PFW spin

Sunday proved what some had suspected throughout the Broncos' stunning six-game winning streak to open the season at this point this is not an offense that has the ability to play catch-up after falling behind by a significant margin. This doesn't mean Denver's great start was a complete mirage, but the Ravens exposed some flaws that had been present but shielded in the early going.

Denver's backs were held to 3.2 yards per carry in the past two games and only scored one touchdown in those contests. Rookie RB Knowshon Moreno's problems hanging onto the pigskin are becoming a larger concern too, as he has fumbled the ball away three times in the past four games, including one on Sunday. After gaining 7.2 yards per carry in his first four games before missing a game after injuring his ankle, No. 2 back Correll Buckhalter is gaining just 3.4 yards per rush in the two games since the injury. The third back, Peyton Hillis, has barely been used. He has just seven touches in seven games.

In order to get back on track vs. the Steelers in Week Nine, the Broncos have to get more production from their running backs. McDaniels has to stick with the running game, even if it's not leading to many big gains. Moreno and Buckhalter only had 11 carries in the first half on Sunday even though the game was very close, with Baltimore holding a 6-0 halftime advantage. Denver had to abandon the run in the second half when the Ravens began to pull away. Getting Hillis, who proved he has the ability to handle a major role last season when he had success in a brief starting stint, more involved would be a good idea as well.

It would also help to get ORT Ryan Harris back, although it looks like he might be out for some time with a toe injury on his right foot that knocked him out of the game in the first half on Sunday. Tyler Polumbus filled in after Harris left and might get the start against Pittsburgh.

QB Kyle Orton, as efficient as he is, can't be relied on to win games with his arm alone. He's not that kind of quarterback. A balanced offense is a key for the Broncos, as falling behind and getting into predictable passing situations allows defenses to take risks and blitz. Orton has been better this season when on the run, but mobility isn't a strong point in his game. Falling behind and playing catch-up is not going to lead to many Broncos' wins the rest of the way.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/02/broncos-offense-needs-more-from-backs-2

ColoradoDarin
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
but head coach Josh McDaniels' club actually has been outscored 80-78 in its last four games

??? Ok, but we're 3-1 in those games and if you take out the Baltimore game, we've outscored our opponents 71-50 in those 3 games. That was a pretty stupid and random stat.

gyldenlove
11-02-2009, 11:51 AM
The one thing about the run game that has been obvious this season is that we only have 2 run plays, gap assignment guard pull and stretch. The gap assignment hasn't been working the last 4 games and the stretch plays have only been used sparringly.

One thing that bothers me about the run game is that we very often telegraph run plays by stacking 2 TEs on the same side with one behind the line. If you look at yesterdays game you will see almost all of our run plays came with dual TEs on the same side with one moving back from the line to be able to pull as a lead blocker.

snowspot66
11-02-2009, 12:33 PM
??? Ok, but we're 3-1 in those games and if you take out the Baltimore game, we've outscored our opponents 71-50 in those 3 games. That was a pretty stupid and random stat.

You can also add that 14 points come off of kick returns. That's just unacceptable.

Bronco Yoda
11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Put me in Coach... I pulled my head out...
http://themilehighsalute.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/peytonhillis.jpg

bronco militia
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Put me in Coach... I pulled my head out...
http://themilehighsalute.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/peytonhillis.jpg

congrats

but we lost...go sit down

signed

the coach :approve:

anyway, it was nice to see him get in there and not make too many mistakes.

too bad we didn't run the ball more

underrated29
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
The one thing about the run game that has been obvious this season is that we only have 2 run plays, gap assignment guard pull and stretch. The gap assignment hasn't been working the last 4 games and the stretch plays have only been used sparringly.

One thing that bothers me about the run game is that we very often telegraph run plays by stacking 2 TEs on the same side with one behind the line. If you look at yesterdays game you will see almost all of our run plays came with dual TEs on the same side with one moving back from the line to be able to pull as a lead blocker.

OMG. Yes, I have been saying this for weeks now too. I cant stand how predictable our run game has been. I knew that josh would never call his stupid trap play on 3rd and short again, after he failed at it over and over. But i also kinda figured he would also spruce up the run game a bit, and run some different plays.

Shannies old plays- looked the same, but were way different plays.
Joshs plays- look the same because they are the same.

Take a page out of shannys book josh, mix it up a bit.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
OMG. Yes, I have been saying this for weeks now too. I cant stand how predictable our run game has been. I knew that josh would never call his stupid trap play on 3rd and short again, after he failed at it over and over. But i also kinda figured he would also spruce up the run game a bit, and run some different plays.

Shannies old plays- looked the same, but were way different plays.
Joshs plays- look the same because they are the same.

Take a page out of shannys book josh, mix it up a bit.

I dunno, Indy pretty much only ran one run play for years and it worked fine. The Ravens, only three weeks ago, were considered the best team in the NFL by many. Since then, they've suffered some heart breaking losses. They are a real good team and we got beat by them cause they played great and we didnt. I dont think this team suffers from these fundamental flaws people are suggesting.

RMT
11-02-2009, 01:19 PM

torture numbers long enough and they will confess to anything - i think that's what the writer was going for, which is an admission of stupidity.

RMT
11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
You can also add that 14 points come off of kick returns. That's just unacceptable.

great point - which one that woody paige FAILED to mention in his article today. he stated that the defense had given up 53 points over the last 2 games. so, i wrote him and pointed out it was actually 39. no response yet, but woody is MUCH BETTER in his replies than legwold - he's a prick.

bpc
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Personally I think Hillis' grind it out, hard hitting style would work well with this offense. Alas, we've committed money to Moreno so he'll get the lions share of reps for sure. Buckhalter doesn't have any major faults so he'll also be in there.

I'm a little frustrated at the situation because Moreno was/is a back I have major questions about. His slight frame doesn't look like it can consistently stand the abuse of the NFL. He also isn't that fast so he'll get caught and dragged down from behind a lot. He also run's high as hell and doesn't show much in terms of running through tacklers yet. He normally gets arm tackled at the LOS by DL's that are getting blocked.

This doesn't mean he can't improve. That is the hope. I just was much more skeptical about Moreno coming out than most. I do acknowledge he is a 3 phase back that would be an ideal fit in the McDaniels system.

Let's hope for the best and that he can improve from year 1 to year 2.