PDA

View Full Version : The Offense should have...........

ludo21
11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I really think that the offense should have attacked deep earlier in the game. We needed to at least show the threat of the deep ball, but instead we couldnt get anything going and they just sat on all our WR routes.

I think this should change going forward..

What do you think we should have done differently, or do going forward?

BMarsh615
11-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I would like to see us get out of the shotgun a bit more. We need to establish a running game and let Orton run some pass plays from under center.

Blart
11-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Orton threw deep on our one successful drive

baja
11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I really think that the offense should have attacked deep earlier in the game. We needed to at least show the threat of the deep ball, but instead we couldnt get anything going and they just sat on all our WR routes.

I think this should change going forward..

What do you think we should have done differently, or do going forward?

I think that was the plan (attack deeper) but the line couldn't give Orton the time he needed for the play to develop.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I thought they tried too many late developing patterns that didn't give us a chance.

Where was a couple quick slants vs a blitz?

An RB running into the flat or middle of the vacated zone?

A skiny post?

The only thing I liked that they adjusted to on O was haveing the TE's block down or trap on the run plays, they had some success on that.

There wasn't anything in the passing game that showed any flash of genius or even competency on the part of the OC or HC.

Maybe they were looking ahead to the Steeler game?

KevinJames
11-01-2009, 09:07 PM
hard to stretch the field when you have no time to throw early. they overwhelmed us at times badly.

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
i wonder why tehy only tried 2 deep balls all game...is it how mcdaniels is coaching them, or how orton is looking for the reads?

Bronco Yoda
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Maybe we should try the hurry-up like the Ravens did to us. Wore us down a bit.

This will be a good wake up call.

broncos-rock
11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
I want to see some trickery......Knowshon throwing it or something

Orange_Beard
11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
i wonder why tehy only tried 2 deep balls all game...is it how mcdaniels is coaching them, or how orton is looking for the reads?

Qb has to have time to throw deep. Orton was getting smacked around.

HEAV
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I want to see some trickery......Knowshon throwing it or something

How about Knowshon working on not fumbling the ball, lose some fat and gain some speed.

Broncos lost due to the O-line not getting any push and not having the ability to protect Orton.

Trick plays are cute and all but you have to punch people in the mouth and control the line of scrimmage.

mhgaffney
11-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Orton had Gaffney wide open down the left sideline -- an easy TD -- but seriously under threw him. Orton was almost picked on the play.

ZONA
11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Alot of people on the offense played badly today. Orton was terrible today. Probably should have had a few picks, we got lucky. The offense got their asses kicked today. No sense in sugar coating it. Hopefully they pull their **** together next week. They should forget about this game quickly. It was sad.

snowspot66
11-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Orton had Gaffney wide open down the left sideline -- an easy TD -- but seriously under threw him. Orton was almost picked on the play.

I'm not sure he was throwing to Gaffney on that play.

Popps
11-01-2009, 10:56 PM
hard to stretch the field when you have no time to throw early. they overwhelmed us at times badly.

Yea, throwing deep is great when it works. When it doesn't, you're in 2nd or 3rd and long, and as you said... we simply didn't have time to throw the ball.

I have a feeling no matter what we tried today, they would have had an answer.

We tried a decent mix of run/pass and a few tricker plays. Nothing was working.

That's what a great defense can do to teams.

We've got work to do, but I still think if we played them next week... it might be very different.

NFLBRONCO
11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Do you think we need a playmaker on O still one that actually shows up on weekly basis I DO.

BroncoMan4ever
11-01-2009, 11:13 PM
How about Knowshon working on not fumbling the ball, lose some fat and gain some speed.

Broncos lost due to the O-line not getting any push and not having the ability to protect Orton.

Trick plays are cute and all but you have to punch people in the mouth and control the line of scrimmage.

anyone would have dropped the ball on the shot Ed Reed gave Moreno on his fumble.

i want to see playaction again. Orton isn't the most fleet footed QB in the world, but he has the capability to roll out.

Doggcow
11-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Should have scored 31

strafen
11-01-2009, 11:17 PM
We need to mix it up in the running gameWe need to pound the ball with Hillis until he gets in a rythm. So far he's not being used as we know he can perform
C-Buck was not effective enough against the Ravens tough defense. I think a heavy dose of Hillis would've loosened them up a little...
Heck, even in the short dink and dunk passes, I believe Hillis can power run his way forward against anybody in the league...

NFLBRONCO
11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Does Denver need a Sproles type RB for change of pace.

strafen
11-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Does Denver need a Sproles type RB for change of pace.I think in Moreno, C-Buck and Hillis, we have 3 different running styles we can mix things up with. That's what I envisioned going into the season. A tough hard-nosed running attack.
Let's face it, Orton doesn't scare anybody. We need the running game to set up the passing game only when we need to pass, not as a way of winning a game when the game is on the line, but rather as part of our offense package to keep moving the chains...

ZONA
11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
anyone would have dropped the ball on the shot Ed Reed gave Moreno on his fumble.

That's because there isn't a player that could have caught the ball, tucked it in and turned around in time. That was not a fumble. He caught the ball with 2 feet on the ground but call me blind if he demonstrated a football move. I guess they interpret getting knocked backwards as a football move............lol.

NFLBRONCO
11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Do you think BM Stokes and Royal wilt against physical teams too often?

giveemlove
11-02-2009, 12:13 AM
That's because there isn't a player that could have caught the ball, tucked it in and turned around in time. That was not a fumble. He caught the ball with 2 feet on the ground but call me blind if he demonstrated a football move. I guess they interpret getting knocked backwards as a football move............lol.

Having a defender hit you and turn you upright on the field is considered a football move these days. :laugh:

Offensive line looked bad today. No time and no holes.

ZONA
11-02-2009, 12:14 AM

As if Baltimore was the only physical team we've played. That's funny.

giveemlove

BM was beyond pissing me off today. He'd get the ball and kind of stand there for a second and by the time he went to make his move he had 3 guys in front of him. DON'T HESITATE! Then the dropped ball and when they did the replay you could tell that he sensed Lewis was getting ready for a lay the wood hit.

HEAV

i want to see playaction again. Orton isn't the most fleet footed QB in the world, but he has the capability to roll out.

For playaction to work a team must demostrate an ability to run. Today the O-line was smacked in the face and the running game wasn't there.

Broncos looked predictable at times and the Ravens defenders attacked the screens and flew to the ball. Granted a middle screen could have helped the fact is the line was/is weak at times and yes this team still needs a play maker.

I thought Royal would be that play maker in 09, but damn it he's in a sophmore slump like I haven't seen in years.

The entire offense played bad Sunday.

That said...I never expected this game to be a win. Even being 6-0 I knew the Ravens would be more up for this game after the past few weeks they had and the fact that it was on their turf.

I'm actually happy with a loss. It's motivation for everyone to keep working on gettign better.

I said it a few weeks ago. "We are a good TEAM now" We may not have Super Bowl chances, but this team is good and plays hard. That's all I wanted from the 2009 Broncos when the coaching change happened. Now I just want the AFC West. Take care of the west teams and it's theirs!

We can see where this team needs to go and that it's going to take a few years of player transactions to get their. What we now have is a solid base to build on.

But like I posted in my "Numbers thread" The Broncos O-line needs beef'd up at guard and center then the power running game will allow for more playaction.

HEAV
11-02-2009, 12:22 AM
As if Baltimore was the only physical team we've played. That's funny.

Even Coach McDaniels said that the Ravens are the most physical team he has ever faced over the years.

Marshall has shown at times to go soft when the hits start flying. He's a beast on lil defenders nodoubt... but against a pissed-off LB?

TJ pointed out how at times Brandon and the middle route to get along...

That being said McDaniels could have attacked the Ravens fly'n to the screens with some slugos.

The good news is the Steelers aren't near as phyical as the Ravens are right now.

ZONA
11-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I said it a few weeks ago. "We are a good TEAM now" We may not have Super Bowl chances, but this team is good and plays hard.

Sure we do. Just as much as any other good team does. The Cards and Steelers both had their fair share of problems last year and each reached the Superbowl. You just have to play good enough to get to the playoffs and then turn it on. It can happen, even for the Broncos.

Popps
11-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Marshall has shown at times to go soft when the hits start flying. He's a beast on lil defenders nodoubt... but against a pissed-off LB?

Yea, the gator-arms things was pretty sad.

Marshall has been a feel-good story for a few weeks, but he sure didn't seem interested today.

rastaman
11-02-2009, 06:28 AM
I would like to see us get out of the shotgun a bit more. We need to establish a running game and let Orton run some pass plays from under center.

Agreed, McD needs to run plays that have both HB & FB in the back field to provide extra protection for Orton. This still gives Orton 2 WR's and a TE remaining to throw to. Now if Orton cannot throw the ball DEEP under this type of scheme......then Orton just can't throw the deep ball.

rastaman
11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Yea, the gator-arms things was pretty sad.

Marshall has been a feel-good story for a few weeks, but he sure didn't seem interested today.

In fairness to Marshall I did see Orton on one occassion lead Marshall to far over the middle--to where such a pass could get your WR killed! I would have gotten alligator arms to. QB aren't supposed to get their wr's killed either. Just saying.

barryr
11-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Orton barely had enough time to get throws off on the shorter routes, much less having the time needed to throw the deeper passes. The Ravens wanted and needed this game if seriously going to catch the Bengals and like I mentioned more than once during the week, the Ravens had already lost 1 home game and aren't the type to lose many of those. The Broncos needed to play flawless and they didn't, especially the o-line. When your o-line doesn't play well, that effects the whole offense.

Hulamau
11-02-2009, 06:39 AM
BM was beyond pissing me off today. He'd get the ball and kind of stand there for a second and by the time he went to make his move he had 3 guys in front of him. DON'T HESITATE! Then the dropped ball and when they did the replay you could tell that he sensed Lewis was getting ready for a lay the wood hit.

Whether he likes it or not, Marshall is one of the main 'faces' of the offense and he was a far cry from matching the Ravens intensity today, that also reflected in some of the other offensive players as well.

Maybe he was a little too chummy and lovey-dovey with Foxworth running warm up laps together around the field before the game? Maybe he forgot a bit who the enemy was yesterday? :-)

I too am irritated with this pattern he has lately of catching the ball and then almost stopping and bouncing around in place for a moment deciding what to do while two safeties and a linebacker join the DB to bring him down for little to no added gain :-\!! Instead of just going for it like on his 51 yard TD catch and the nice pitch and catch pattern near the goal line in the Dallas game where he stepped in front of the DB in a planned pattern used often with Moss and Brady.

When I first noticed this jumping around a few games ago I thought maybe it was part of a protest over his contract in that he would catch the ball but not over extend himself and risk getting more roughed up. But after the NE game that held less water and I think its just a lazy habit he's gotten into.

He was lazy in his routs too yesterday, and sloppy with catching the ball too when Kyle and the team needed him the most.

The defense played a good game .. good enough to win most any other day with a half way decent game by the Offense and special teams, until they were flat worn out by being on the field all day.

rastaman
11-02-2009, 06:46 AM
I think that was the plan (attack deeper) but the line couldn't give Orton the time he needed for the play to develop.

Hence the need to have both HB & FB in the back field providing Orton with extra protection....when going Deep! Throwing the deep ball w/ an empty back field against an aggressive blitzing team like the Ravens is next to impossible.

rastaman
11-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Orton barely had enough time to get throws off on the shorter routes, much less having the time needed to throw the deeper passes. The Ravens wanted and needed this game if seriously going to catch the Bengals and like I mentioned more than once during the week, the Ravens had already lost 1 home game and aren't the type to lose many of those. The Broncos needed to play flawless and they didn't, especially the o-line. When your o-line doesn't play well, that effects the whole offense.

You can't expect the team to play flawlessly every week. The Ravens were desperate and had their backs up against the wall and could have ill afford to go 3-4 this early in the season. The Broncos will bounce back and still have winning year. We still have a very strong chance of going 11-5 and 12-4. The offense needs to start helping out the Defense by sustaining more drives and reduce the number of 3rd and outs. This Defense can't carry the Offense nor should the D be expected to do so. Orton showed yesterday he needs some plays where the HB & FB need to be in there to provide him extra protection.

cmhargrove
11-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Several good ideas here.

I think that I would have liked to stick with the run rather than some of the dink and dunk but we had poor field position most of the game.

Shotgun with slant and skinny post could have opened a few things up.

Maybe even a "max protect" with Hillis and Moreno staying in to block could have helped get a receiver open.

It's all second guessing. Let's see how we do against the Steelers.

rastaman
11-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Even Coach McDaniels said that the Ravens are the most physical team he has ever faced over the years.

TJ pointed out how at times Brandon and the middle route to get along...

That being said McDaniels could have attacked the Ravens fly'n to the screens with some slugos.

The good news is the Steelers aren't near as phyical as the Ravens are right now.

Is Marshall going soft or perhaps it could also be the ball is not getting to him on or at the precise time so the Defense can't react on time? I saw on numerous occassion to where he had to wait for the ball, and by the time he caught the ball, 3-4 defenders were already converging on him! Question is, on the balls Brandon did catch! all I saw were a wall of purple jersy's, where were the white jersey's to provide blocking for Brandon after he caught the ball.

I also noticed the Ravens secondary were playing man-to-man in your grill defense on our WR's b/c they studied film and saw how predictable our offense was with the 5 and 10 yards pass plays. Point is, Brandon can beat one guy for YAC but to expect BMarsh to beat 3-4 Physical Raven CB's/LB's is beyond expectation and unrealistic. Lets get real folks!

Point is, the Raven D pre-gamed for Marshall and decided he wasn't going to beat them. Hence the 3-4 Ravens surrounding Marshall after every pass reception he made. Perhaps Orton was locking on to Marshall and failed to check down to alternate targets, McD didn't adjust or Stokely, Royal, and Scheff either didn't step up or they didn't have plays called their way often enough. However, you can't blame the of offensive production on Bmarsh thats for sure.

baja
11-02-2009, 07:15 AM

Sometimes living to play another day is the right choice. Marshall would have risked injury by exposing his ribs to Lewis just waiting to lay the wood. I actually thought that was a smart play by Marshall. I think he has been coached to avoid some of the punishment he has set himself up to take in the past with his style of play that had him fighting for every inch on every play.

colonelbeef
11-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Exactly the same as Brady when he is rushed. Orton has no mobility. When everything is in front of him and he has time, he and the offense will look good. Against a well executed pass rush, he and the offense will look like garbage. See Brady against the Giants in the superbowl for past examples

Rohirrim
11-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Oh damn! You mean we are not yet an elite team? One season after posting the most embarassing three losses in NFL history, we are not going undefeated? Shucks.

I remember toward the end of Shanahan's reign I would moan whenver I heard him say that favorite line of his, "We are only a few pieces away." Now, I actually believe it. We actually are only a few pieces away from being an elite team. A couple more playmakers and this team really kicks ass. The Ratbirds just showed that one of those pieces must be on the Oline.

OABB
11-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I would have loved it if the offense actually blocked the defenders. I don't need anything fancy, just line up and win your individual battles. We were the weaker team yesterday. That is it. my question is, was it an abberation or a sign?

It's too early to know, next week will show us a lot.

anon
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I hear routes between 10 and 20 yards are also legal in football.

snowspot66
11-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I hear routes between 10 and 20 yards are also legal in football.

We get time to throw them next week and maybe we'll give it a shot. Worst blocking we've had all year.

bronco militia
11-02-2009, 01:16 PM
The Offense should have........... punted on 1st down

anon
11-02-2009, 01:35 PM
We get time to throw them next week and maybe we'll give it a shot. Worst blocking we've had all year.

Agree. Just pointing out that there are many options between dink/dunk/screen and a deep post that don't necessarily take forever to develop.

Bronco Yoda
11-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Did we run any ZBS or was it all trap smash gap stuff?

I was doing several things at once during the game and didn't really get a chance to watch it closely yet. Still have the game on my DVR thankfully. I'll have to watch again tonight.

elsid13
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Did we run any ZBS or was it all trap smash gap stuff?

I was doing several things at once during the game and didn't really get a chance to watch it closely yet. Still have the game on my DVR thankfully. I'll have to watch again tonight.

They ran some ZBS stuff but most of the time it was simple off tackle plays to the left side. I think they were attempt to take advantage of Pryce playing so far in and over the guard.