PDA

View Full Version : missed sacks/tackles in the backfield

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
no question, the most frustrating part of todays game. they missed flacco so many times even when they had a clean shot on him, and the midget RB got away from a ton of tackles in the backfield. if they made those tackles clean, we woulda been in it.

BMarsh615
11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Tackling all over the field was poor today. We gave up a lot more YAC than we usually do.

jhat01
11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Big Ben does some similar things in the pocket. We'll need to be better tacklers next week for sure. Watching all those misses in the backfield was frustrating.

BlaK-Argentina
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Very good point and I wanted to smash my tv! I couldn't believe how many tackles we were missing. Even Dawkins. It was just a bunch of mistakes that set off the Ravens. I think in any other day, we are in it and probably win this game. Hopefully we punch the Steelers in the mouth.

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 06:43 PM
also, the WR got our backs on the curl route everytime. they also made our backs look stupid by that stupid studder step that worked almost every time to break the first tackle.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Anytime you cannot sustain a drive until the 3rd quarter the D is going to be gassed late in games.

I thought the D played well until mid 3rd quarter.

Nolan's game plan was sound. I am not sure what the Offensive plan really was.

If we recover that fumble deep in our end the game is a lot different.

I have no truck with the D today. The other 2 phases of the game were lacking though and for a HC that talks about watching every play of NE, it seemed apparent that he didn't bother to watch any Ravens footage over the bye.

Kaylore
11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
We had a bad game. That's all there is. There were plays where we were in position to make a sack, blow up a screen, what have you and we didn't finish. It's actually good this happened now because we can address it down the road. And I think we'll see the Ravens again and the outcome will be different.

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Anytime you cannot sustain a drive until the 3rd quarter the D is going to be gassed late in games.

I thought the D played well until mid 3rd quarter.

Nolan's game plan was sound. I am not sure what the Offensive plan really was.

If we recover that fumble deep in our end the game is a lot different.

I have no truck with the D today. The other 2 phases of the game were lacking though and for a HC that talks about watching every play of NE, it seemed apparent that he didn't bother to watch any Ravens footage over the bye.

yes, mcdaniels napped all weekend. hes known for not putting much time into studying the other teams tendencies.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
yes, mcdaniels napped all weekend. hes known for not putting much time into studying the other teams tendencies.

This is the thing that I was surprised by especially coming off a Bye.

All we heard after the NE game is how they watched every play of the 08 Patsy's. Maybe they didn't get the tape for the 08 ravens?

I still think Nolan had the D prepped and they kept the O in the game into the 3rd quarter.

It was nice to see the O go 3 and out and the D force a 3 or 5 play drive and get off the field in the 1st half but it is hard for any team's D to play like that all game with no Offense support.

It was like watching the 84 bears.

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
This is the thing that I was surprised by especially coming off a Bye.

All we heard after the NE game is how they watched every play of the 08 Patsy's. Maybe they didn't get the tape for the 08 ravens?

I still think Nolan had the D prepped and they kept the O in the game into the 3rd quarter.

It was nice to see the O go 3 and out and the D force a 3 or 5 play drive and get off the field in the 1st half but it is hard for any team's D to play like that all game with no Offense support.

It was like watching the 84 bears.

are you kidding? mcdaniels can tell you everything about every single player on the ravens team after the last 2 weeks, guaranteed. the gameplan didnt work today and he has to design the gameplan based on the strengths of teh players of this team, big deal they had an off week, is that not acceptable?

baja
11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Preparation is one thing execution is another. The Ravens are a very good team that absolutely needed to win and that is the story of this game.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
are you kidding? mcdaniels can tell you everything about every single player on the ravens team after the last 2 weeks, guaranteed. the gameplan didnt work today and he has to design the gameplan based on the strengths of teh players of this team, big deal they had an off week, is that not acceptable?

That is great if I wanted to know if Ray Ray knifed that dude or when Ngata's birthday is but he did not show anything on O that showed a plan of attack.

They started trapping with the TE's in the run game in the 2nd quarter which helped pop some gains but there was nothing in the passing game to expose their D.

If it was week 3 or week 15 I could see it but this was after a bye.

You are blowing my posts out of porpotion again.

The D played well and was amped up in the 1st half, the Knowshon turnover gave the Ravens the ball deep in our territory and yet they only gave up a FG.

At one point there was a graphic about FP, Denver was starting on avg somewhere between the 15 and 20 and Ravens were starting at the 40something.

Hard for D's to be dominant when they are losing the FP battle.

You should have attacked the O.

iforgotmypassword
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
seemed like they were just runnin around today bad, gotta break down make the play

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Preparation is one thing execution is another. The Ravens are a very good team that absolutely needed to win and that is the story of this game.

That is a better excuse than the travel/time one.

Are you Arnold Horshack's Mother?

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 07:48 PM
That is great if I wanted to know if Ray Ray knifed that dude or when Ngata's birthday is but he did not show anything on O that showed a plan of attack.

They started trapping with the TE's in the run game in the 2nd quarter which helped pop some gains but there was nothing in the passing game to expose their D.

If it was week 3 or week 15 I could see it but this was after a bye.

You are blowing my posts out of porpotion again.

The D played well and was amped up in the 1st half, the Knowshon turnover gave the Ravens the ball deep in our territory and yet they only gave up a FG.

At one point there was a graphic about FP, Denver was starting on avg somewhere between the 15 and 20 and Ravens were starting at the 40something.

do you not understand? im not talking about the offense or not saying the defense sucked, im saying tehy made a lot of missed tackles in the backfield for no apparent reason. do you comprehend?

the offense sucked clearly, i think thats obvious, but the defense let a ton of plays extend that should not have.

Finger Roll
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
The defense was missing alot more tackles in the second half than the first because they were getting tired. The offense going 3 and out most of the time will do that.

SoCalBronco
11-01-2009, 07:53 PM

IMO...if we had Gene on Special Teams today, our average starting position would be in the opponent's endzone. Alas, Gene was too busy nailing biatches to help out.

baja
11-01-2009, 07:55 PM

The execution was hampered by a dip in energy due to physical laws (jet lag) believe it or not, no concern of mine.

broncosteven
do you not understand? im not talking about the offense or not saying the defense sucked, im saying tehy made a lot of missed tackles in the backfield for no apparent reason. do you comprehend?

the offense sucked clearly, i think thats obvious, but the defense let a ton of plays extend that should not have.

Pointing out missed tackles to me means that you think the D underperformed when they clearly kept the team in the game until the mid 3rd quarter.

There problem was more in coverage down field than the fact that Davis over ran a couple sacks, even though he came back into the play and got one late in the game.

In the 1st half neither QB could complete anything meaningful or sustain any drives. Ravens got the FP in the 1st half and pounded our D into submission in the 2nd.

The O needed help from the officals on our lone scoring drive. I think you could have pounced on Hamliton rather than the D esp since they kept us in the game.

_Oro_
Going back to the OP, it was frustrating to see Flacco sidestepping those hits but it was still nice to see peeps in the backfield.

broncogary
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM

No, he's Juan Epstein's mother. :~ohyah!:

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Pointing out missed tackles to me means that you think the D underperformed when they clearly kept the team in the game until the mid 3rd quarter.

There problem was more in coverage down field than the fact that Davis over ran a couple sacks, even though he came back into the play and got one late in the game.

In the 1st half neither QB could complete anything meaningful or sustain any drives. Ravens got the FP in the 1st half and pounded our D into submission in the 2nd.

The O needed help from the officals on our lone scoring drive. I think you could have pounced on Hamliton rather than the D esp since they kept us in the game.

the missed tackles took them from being a good D today instead of being great. they hit them so many times in the backfield but didnt finish.

clearly the offense was bad, im aware, i saw the game and they couldnt do anything. the knowshon fumble cant really be helped but orton had his worst game as a bronco this year, kept leaving his receivers out to die and they became hesitant because of it.

Finger Roll
11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
the offensive line and special teams lost this game not the defense. Bergers 30 yard punts didn't help

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
IMO...if we had Gene on Special Teams today, our average starting position would be in the opponent's endzone. Alas, Gene was too busy nailing biatches to help out.

Gene would have fashioned his gameplan from some cardboard, duct tape, plastic urine bagies, and a sock.

Orton would have put up 40+ in that system and it would have dropped the CO2 levels in the greater Baltimore area.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
the missed tackles took them from being a good D today instead of being great. they hit them so many times in the backfield but didnt finish.

clearly the offense was bad, im aware, i saw the game and they couldnt do anything. the knowshon fumble cant really be helped but orton had his worst game as a bronco this year, kept leaving his receivers out to die and they became hesitant because of it.

That is better.

Knowshon got hung out to dry on that pass.

ZONA
11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not usually a big believer in teams believing any certain game is more important then another one. I think both teams line up and want to win. But this was the first time that I really felt like one team just wanted it more. It was a tough game but I thought the offense just didn't show alot of passion out there today.

And not one turnover by the defense. Ouch.

Popps
11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
no question, the most frustrating part of todays game. they missed flacco so many times even when they had a clean shot on him, and the midget RB got away from a ton of tackles in the backfield. if they made those tackles clean, we woulda been in it.

I agree, but that's Baltimore's game. They're a physical team.

As for Rice, we held him to something like 80 yards. He made big plays, but he didn't go nuts.

Baltimore just played a playoff-style football game. Huge defense... ran the ball, few mistakes and punishing hits.

They seemed very well prepared for this game.

We came out flat. I really thought we'd adjust at the half, but that opening kickoff return just killed us. I really wonder how things could have gone, if not for that.

We've tackled well all year. We've done almost everything well all year. Today, we just couldn't get it together and faced a fired up, desperate team.

cmhargrove
11-02-2009, 05:45 AM
We'll probably see them again in the playoffs, so we'lll seee how much we have grown by then.

Our O-line got hammered, just didn't have enough time for Orton.

Flacco did an excellent job of finishing about 4-5 clutch plays under pressure. The KO return for TD hurt pretty bad too.

It wasn't a bad gameplan, it was the first gameplan we just didn't execute well. I think we'll be better next time we face them.

barryr
11-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Every team has bad games or else we would have teams going unbeaten every season. There's a reason why that typically doesn't happen.

Traveler
11-02-2009, 06:07 AM
We got beat yesterday by a team that wanted it more and was better prepared. The OL and ST contributed to the loss, but we still have problems with a team like the Ravens.

My only critques would be that Eddie Royal take a page from Rod Smith on punt returns. He consistantly dances too much IMO. In the SD game where he scored twice, he rarely danced, took it up field, and to the house.

The OL still has issues with teams that play power, smash mouth football. Hamilton and Wiegmann got worked over yesterday. Lucklily, we don't play teams like the Ravens often.

Lastly, if I'm the ST Coach, my job isn't too secure right now. Berger's short punts didn't help matters, but the coverage teams need alot of improvment, sans Larsen.

gyldenlove
11-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Missing sacks is critical with Roethlisberger comming up. I am not all that confident in Goodman matching up with Holmes if we are not going to get Roethlisberger down on first contact.

gtown
11-02-2009, 06:20 AM
The defense was still on its bye week. You can bet that there will be loads of tackling drills this week.

Spider
11-02-2009, 07:31 AM
We had a bad game. That's all there is. There were plays where we were in position to make a sack, blow up a screen, what have you and we didn't finish. It's actually good this happened now because we can address it down the road. And I think we'll see the Ravens again and the outcome will be different.

;D . nope pretty sure this loss was the end of the world as we know it ..........

baja
11-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Kaylore,

If we see the Ravens again I hope it is in our house.

Rohirrim
11-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Maybe we can get our own midget RB? Anybody seen that kid Jacquizz Rodgers for Oregon State? He'll be ready in a couple of years. ;D

Bigdawg26
11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
And it doesn't help that Kelly Washington was shredding both smith and JMF"TOAST"W