PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton's replacement?

lex
11-01-2009, 04:10 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWdvfRhTruw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWdvfRhTruw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I see this guy slotted as a 1st/2nd. I think guards are undervalued and I also think the slotting reflects that sometimes. So, basically, I wouldnt complain if we drafted a guard in the first if we're drafting around 20 or lower. If were drafting mid first or higher, I say defense but if we end up in the bottome half of the draft, Im all in favor of taking a guard.

And then there is a center out of USC who would be good in the 2nd if he's still around.

misturanderson
11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
That was damn impressive, but can he do that to someone he doesn't outweigh by 120 lbs.?

elsid13
11-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Iupati good player, but he doesn't have the lateral movement that this offense blocking system call for. Mike Johnson (ALA) would very good fit for this team in the future. Capable of running hybrid ZBS/Power Traps that McDaniels wants.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't know who they should bring in but they need to target someone in FA or Draft to replace our Weak link guard and our aged Center.

Kaylore
11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Hamilton to center and Olsen to LG.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 07:21 PM

I will take your word for it you know your Olinemen.

kappys
11-01-2009, 07:28 PM

NOt having seen much of Olsen personally what is your take on him?

azbroncfan
11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I would like a big fat slob that doesn't get blowed into the backfield.

lex
11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Iupati good player, but he doesn't have the lateral movement that this offense blocking system call for. Mike Johnson (ALA) would very good fit for this team in the future. Capable of running hybrid ZBS/Power Traps that McDaniels wants.

Thats interesting considering most write ups on him says he has good mobility, especially for his size. I havent really seen him though. I dont really get many Vandals games. It seems like if he was a 1st/2nd, he would have sufficient lateral movement.

SoCalBronco
11-01-2009, 08:24 PM

http://i38.tinypic.com/282khsh.jpg

Not sure Bob would have the athleticism required to release and block downfield given the number of screens we run, but I could easily be wrong (again). ;D

theAPAOps5
11-01-2009, 08:28 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/282khsh.jpg

Not sure Bob would have the athleticism required to release and block downfield given the number of screens we run, but I could easily be wrong (again). ;D

Yeah but Bob isn't a Blob anymore so he is detrimental to OL work now!

SoCalBronco
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah but Bob isn't a Blob anymore so he is detrimental to OL work now!

The Bob character must always be fat. It's intrinsically part of the character, along with being a jackass and a homer. It doesn't matter whether Clayton is skinny..."Bob" HAS to be fat. A skinny Bob wouldn't fly with the public. It would be like trying to sell a new Batman film with the Batman wearing a yellow outfit instead of the black outfit. It doesn't work. It just doesnt work conceptually, Nick.

ZONA
11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I would like a big fat slob that doesn't get blowed .

I'm pretty sure Bob is still somewhat fat, and we know he's a slob and I think we all know he doesn't get blowed..................:giggle:

BroncoMan4ever
11-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Hamilton is done in Denver. he would be decent as our C, but i truly believe our best course of action would be to get bigger at LG and C.

Doggcow
11-01-2009, 10:27 PM
This guy should be brought in in the draft/fa http://wsucougars.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alfred_kenny00.html

Kaylore
11-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Hamilton is done in Denver. he would be decent as our C, but i truly believe our best course of action would be to get bigger at LG and C.

Well unless you're looking at free agency that's not likely. It's incredibly hard to just come in as a rookie and start in the NFL - especially in this system.

barryr
11-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Hamilton isn't playing well. He likely leads the lineman in penalties too. His chances of sticking around after this season aren't great and we might see more of Hochstein in his place this season.

Olsen has a chance to be a starter in the near future. He's got pretty good size and mobility at least.

Rohirrim
11-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I figure there has to be some reason for an average of ten NFL scouts to show up at every Vandals game. When's the last time an NFL scout showed up at a Vandals game? ;D What Iaputi has is a mean streak, like Logan Mankins. The Vandals are winning games against teams they have never beaten, like SJSU, and CSU. Why? Because they have a power running game. What do they do? Run it right behind Iaputi, down after down after down. He blows up defensive lines. The idea that he has some "lateral" deficiency is just silly. Maybe he hasn't done any ZB because nobody has asked him to? The Vandals have Fresno State and Boise State coming up so everybody can check out Iaputi themselves. I imagine those games will be televised.

no-pseudo-fan
11-02-2009, 08:18 AM
If we go DL OL with the first 2 picks next year, I would be fine with that.

BroncoInferno
11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
I agree, Lex, that the interior OL is generally undervalued. You rarely see more than one or two in the 1st round, and then usually late in the round. Good news for us, though, since we are likely to be picking in the bottom third of the 1st round. I definately would not mind Iupati int he 1st or 2nd (of course, depending on what our needs look like at the time after the rest of the season plays out plus who we get in FA and who else is available at our pick, etc). The Pats got Mankins the 1st a few seasons ago and that looks like a solid move in retrospect.

BroncoInferno
11-02-2009, 08:24 AM
On the other hand, while we have good offensive talent, we really don't have any game breakers. I wouldn't mind CJ Spiller for that reason. I know we took a back in the 1st last season, but Spiller gives you a big play guy on offense and special teams. We really don't have any "big play" guys on offense right now.

BroncoMan4ever
11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Well unless you're looking at free agency that's not likely. It's incredibly hard to just come in as a rookie and start in the NFL - especially in this system.

i think Olsen is ready to take over for Hamilton or Weigman, i am not sure but i seem to remember him being capable of playing either spot, and Hochstein has the size and versatility to play either LG and C, and both can either play on the line for the foreseable future or for just next season while we groom our replacements.

elpasojoe
11-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Lex, I read one report predicting that the center from USC may go in the first round, and that this is not a good center class. While the reports on Iupati are very positive (including lateral movement) he is now slated to be a lower round pick -- who they also think may elevate his draft status over the year. I don't believe Casey and Hamilton are through, but I do think bringing up a couple of youngsters is vital. We absolutely struck gold the past few years with Kuper, Ryan and Ryan. Does lightning strike twice?

Rabb
11-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Olsen can do well here, he has all the tools but probably not at center, he is an awesome guard though

I saw him play his whole time at Iowa, he will do fine given the chance and is a hoss to boot

broncocalijohn
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM

that is good for passing downs but are you going to have a separate guard to come in on running downs like we do on defense for passing downs? That wont be too obvious to give info to the other team. We use ZB and we pull our guards. No fat slob is going to be able to do that for an entire game. I dont need fat slobs that cant get off the line to the left or right without blowing out a knee. Let the Raiders get guys that are just fast or so fat.

theAPAOps5
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
The Bob character must always be fat. It's intrinsically part of the character, along with being a jackass and a homer. It doesn't matter whether Clayton is skinny..."Bob" HAS to be fat. A skinny Bob wouldn't fly with the public. It would be like trying to sell a new Batman film with the Batman wearing a yellow outfit instead of the black outfit. It doesn't work. It just doesnt work conceptually, Nick.

Thanks for this reality check Sir! I was off my game last night! Commence on slapping the Blob!

bpc
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWdvfRhTruw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWdvfRhTruw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I see this guy slotted as a 1st/2nd. I think guards are undervalued and I also think the slotting reflects that sometimes. So, basically, I wouldnt complain if we drafted a guard in the first if we're drafting around 20 or lower. If were drafting mid first or higher, I say defense but if we end up in the bottome half of the draft, Im all in favor of taking a guard.

And then there is a center out of USC who would be good in the 2nd if he's still around.

Wow. That's about as impactful a punch as you will find from an offensive lineman. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I'm not against going OL/OG in round 1 if it's the BPA and we don't have any other glaring issues moving forward... KC's offense under Vermeil thrived for years off of a dominant OL, a great TE, a decent QB, an undrafted collegiate HB, and pathetic WR's. There is nothing wrong with investing in the trenches. Nothing at all.