PDA

View Full Version : Bret Kern

UberBroncoMan
11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
is currently making us look like idiots for letting him go.

4 punts

3 inside the 20

average 43 - long of 55.

tsiguy96
11-01-2009, 04:58 PM
yea i still dont agree with letting such a young punter go either. atleast bring back colquitt.

TheChamp24
11-01-2009, 05:16 PM
You mean you didn't enjoy Berger's 30 yard punts to midfield?

Bronx33
11-01-2009, 05:18 PM

4 punts

3 inside the 20

average 43 - long of 55.

It wasn't our choice..

UberBroncoMan
11-01-2009, 05:24 PM
It wasn't our choice..

/facepalm

Blart
11-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh I thought everyone in Denver was allowed to vote on the punter

baja
11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
yea i still dont agree with letting such a young punter go either. atleast bring back colquitt.

It does seem like a impulsive decision, one you might expect from a young first year coach. Trouble is we have no way to know if it was a reasoned decision or a knee-jerk response to one bad game. I chose to believe McD doesn't make ill thought out decisions.

snowspot66
11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
It was about the returns. You'll notice they never got to return a punt.

Of course our offense was so poor at moving the ball today that we were pretty much ****ed on field position.

baja
11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
It was about the returns. You'll notice they never got to return a punt.

Of course our offense was so poor at moving the ball today that we were pretty much ****ed on field position.

Who needs a return when you squeeze off a 30 yard punt.

snowspot66
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
With Kern over kicking our coverage combined with our ****ty coverage they were turning out to be 30 yard punts anyway.

baja
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
It appears neither one is the answer.

Doggcow
11-01-2009, 06:20 PM
We need a new ST coach.

UberBroncoMan
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
We need a new ST coach.

I'll agree here... stealing KANSAS CITY'S ST coach (btw their special teams sucked in 08) wasn't my idea of a vast improvement. BTW our ST coach is now the ST coach for the Patriots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_O%27Brien

IRONY!

anon
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM

4 punts

3 inside the 20

average 43 - long of 55.

Too bad I don't remember him doing that when he was with us. Maybe this was the kick in the arse that let him know that he needs to work on his game to stay in the league.

PaintballCLE
11-01-2009, 10:38 PM
It does seem like a impulsive decision, one you might expect from a young first year coach. Trouble is we have no way to know if it was a reasoned decision or a knee-jerk response to one bad game. I chose to believe McD doesn't make ill thought out decisions.

From what ive heard.......it was because he didn't try to tackle sproles when he ran the kick back, and mcd started yelling at him, and kern started yelling at him back and it all blew up from there.

baja
11-01-2009, 10:41 PM
From what ive heard.......it was because he didn't try to tackle sproles when he ran the kick back, and mcd started yelling at him, and kern started yelling at him back and it all blew up from there.

That would not be a good sign, how do you know that?

PaintballCLE
11-01-2009, 10:45 PM
That would not be a good sign, how do you know that?

saw mcd yelling at him first hand in person after the runback, the rest i heard through "sources" ;D but seriously, thats what i heard.

Popps
11-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Yea, we'll see how this plays out... but it was an odd move. I'm guessing it was more than just the SD game. He hadn't been great.

Berger looks like he's punting in slow-motion, though. Just a matter of time before one is blocked. They'll be coming after him next week.

azbroncfan
11-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Yea, we'll see how this plays out... but it was an odd move. I'm guessing it was more than just the SD game. He hadn't been great.

Berger looks like he's punting in slow-motion, though. Just a matter of time before one is blocked. They'll be coming after him next week.

It is a miracle that the first or second one(can't remember exactly) went right through Reeds arms like a swished 3 pter in hoops.

baja
11-01-2009, 11:20 PM
saw mcd yelling at him first hand in person after the runback, the rest i heard through "sources" ;D but seriously, thats what i heard.

This is not good news. If true all our nice little dreams about McD being the next mastermind could blow up in smoke.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I thought letting Kern go was a weird move, and probably not one I like.

But hey, a lot of other things I have "doubted" have turned out good, I hope this is the same! There were a lot more "holes" in our game today than just Berger! ;)

SoCalBronco
11-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I'll agree here... stealing KANSAS CITY'S ST coach (btw their special teams sucked in 08) wasn't my idea of a vast improvement. BTW our ST coach is now the ST coach for the Patriots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_O%27Brien

IRONY!

I didn't think O'Brien was anything special, either. That wasn't much of a loss. Everyone jacks off to him over getting the kicking unit out there in time vs. BUF in 2007, but other than that, his coverage units were pretty bad.

I'm not sure what the ST problem is recently. They blocked pretty well last week on returns in SD and they acquired some ST demons in the offseason (Reid), so they should be at least alright. It's still early.

snowspot66
11-02-2009, 12:49 AM
This is not good news. If true all our nice little dreams about McD being the next mastermind could blow up in smoke.

Why?

McDaniels has established that he demands everybody do their job and play hard. Kern was ****ing up and then didn't give maximum effort and then yells back at the coach? If that's true he didn't exactly leave McDaniels a whole lot of options.

barryr
11-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Oh no, a coach getting after his players for not doing their jobs. I'm scared.

baja
11-02-2009, 06:39 AM
I think it is a bad sign when you have shouting matches with players six weeks into a season. McDaniels claims to be a teacher, how is screaming at a player being a teacher. If you are forced to cut a player for insubordination that gets picked up off the waver wire two hours later it's not a good sign. Might turn out to be exactly what was needed and all on the player but it is a story (without being able to know all the facts) that is somewhat disconcerting.

Hogan11
11-02-2009, 07:12 AM

You just don't cross the boss....I think that's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt already.

Beantown Bronco
11-02-2009, 07:19 AM
I think it is a bad sign when you have shouting matches with players six weeks into a season. McDaniels claims to be a teacher, how is screaming at a player being a teacher. If you are forced to cut a player for insubordination that gets picked up off the waver wire two hours later it's not a good sign. Might turn out to be exactly what was needed and all on the player but it is a story (without being able to know all the facts) that is somewhat disconcerting.

Tom Brady was yelled at quite a bit by McDaniels. This is well known. NOBODY is immune to it and it was the #1 lesson he wanted to get across to everyone in NE and now here. Do your job or you WILL feel the wrath.

When a punter only has two jobs: punting the ball and attempting to tackle the returner if he gets to you....and said punter has shown that he is slightly above average at one and completely unwilling to do the other, what does that leave you with? If you can't yell at a guy who won't even do half his job, than who CAN you yell at?

And, back to your original statement.....you explicitly said that a mastermind can never yell at a guy six weeks into the season. You might want to re-think that one. Not saying McD is a mastermind, but that statement just doesn't make any sense.

baja
11-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Really good teachers have no need to scream and yell. Instead they commutate. You did notice I also said in my post that there is no way to know all the facts. I only have one simple point to make with the Kern firing, I was responding to a poster that said he knew for a fact that cutting Kern was a result of an escalating shouting match between the head coach and the punter. My take is this is not the way of a true teacher to let a situation get so heated that you have to cut a player for insubordination but again I qualify the observation with we don't have all the facts just the words of another poster.

Kaylore
11-02-2009, 08:47 AM
We need a new ST coach.

This.

Smiling Assassin27
11-02-2009, 09:34 AM
if this were parcells cutting some guy loose for insubordination, nobody'd bat an eye. dude is creating a specific culture/environment and it does not include players mouthing off in the heat of battle, it DOES include doing your job and, if you've got something to say, do it in the confines of the coach's office. it's jay cutler and brandon marshall all over again, except with a player and position that is much less important. i've got no problem with mcd cutting the guy loose but was not impressed with berger in the least.

baja
11-02-2009, 09:50 AM
if this were parcells cutting some guy loose for insubordination, nobody'd bat an eye. dude is creating a specific culture/environment and it does not include players mouthing off in the heat of battle, it DOES include doing your job and, if you've got something to say, do it in the confines of the coach's office. it's jay cutler and brandon marshall all over again, except with a player and position that is much less important. i've got no problem with mcd cutting the guy loose but was not impressed with berger in the least.

You sound as if you have a clue as to what happened when clearly you can not know the truth of what you base your opinion on.

TonyR
11-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Really good teachers have no need to scream and yell.

Has Buff taken over baja's account?

baja
11-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Has Buff taken over baja's account?

LOL I realize you have to use the full bag of tools when you are coaching but when you get into a (if true) shouting match with a kicker that ends in a need to cut him for insubordination than you have slipped from the level of teacher. ;D

go_broncos
11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Why is Berger still in the team?

He needs to be cut ASAP.

tsiguy96
11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
LOL I realize you have to use the full bag of tools when you are coaching but when you get into a (if true) shouting match with a kicker that ends in a need to cut him for insubordination than you have slipped from the level of teacher. ;D

Fatsis has taken over bajas account

baja
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Fatsis has taken over bajas account

Well he ran off cutler and pissed off Tony S. and now reportedly he has had to tramp a kicker because of insubordination during a shouting match. Not saying McD is wrong here but after a while isolated incidents become strung together at some point you have to call it a tendency and then you have to ask yourself is it a good tendency or not.

PRBronco
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I think maybe one of the nails in Kern's coffin came in the game against the Patriots, does anyone remember how elegantly he avoided being hit by Patrick Chung when he came in for the punt block (the same game where we took a roughing the kicker penalty). When that happened I couldn't help but speculate that the coach would be pissed at him for that. It's a retarded penalty but if every other punter in the league flops like a b**** when he gets touched, you better too! Notice that Berger drew one such penalty last game.

barryr
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Really good teachers have no need to scream and yell. Instead they commutate. You did notice I also said in my post that there is no way to know all the facts. I only have one simple point to make with the Kern firing, I was responding to a poster that said he knew for a fact that cutting Kern was a result of an escalating shouting match between the head coach and the punter. My take is this is not the way of a true teacher to let a situation get so heated that you have to cut a player for insubordination but again I qualify the observation with we don't have all the facts just the words of another poster.

The Patriots haven't been to 4 Super Bowls, winning 3 of them, with a kind, cuddly head coach.

broncocalijohn
11-02-2009, 12:29 PM

4 punts

3 inside the 20

average 43 - long of 55.

why dont you ask Kern why he couldnt do this for us during the first 6 games?

barryr
11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
why dont you ask Kern why he couldnt do this for us during the first 6 games?

True, not like he didn't have his chances.

Beantown Bronco
11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Well he ran off cutler and pissed off Tony S. and now reportedly he has had to tramp a kicker because of insubordination during a shouting match. Not saying McD is wrong here but after a while isolated incidents become strung together at some point you have to call it a tendency and then you have to ask yourself is it a good tendency or not.

Tendency? Wait, what?

1. Let's not go down the Cutler road again.

2. PO'd Tony S? Really? That's NOT a separate incident at all. Tony got PO'd BECAUSE Cutler was traded, not because of any separate incident. This is part of #1 above, which can hardly be blamed on McDaniels more than Cutler himself.

3. Kern? So NOW you will believe the 3rd party heresay? You admit yourself we don't have the facts, so how can we even pretend to use it to support any preconceived opinions about the coach?

So, by my count, that's one confirmed "incident" (Cutler trade) which was NOT an unfounded knee-jerk reaction in any way. AND it doesn't appear to have been the franchise-ender many believed it would be, to this point at least.