PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and gentleman I give you your 6 &1 Broncos

baja
11-01-2009, 02:16 PM
The biggest factors in the loss IMO was an early game two time zones to the East and the resulting Jet lag. We caught a buzz saw in a talented Ravens team that absolutely needed a win. I really don't mind losing this game because I think we will grow from the experience. Joe Flacco is a hell of a QB. The situation & Flacco were just too much to over come by this young Broncos team.

Brewer
11-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but Daylight Saving Time gave them an hour back. :thumbsup: They got outplayed on all sides of the ball, and outcoached in terms of play calling. Next week the Broncos will be back for the win.

houghtam
11-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Not to mention jet lag is no excuse on a bye week.

anon
11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Tough loss against a good team. The only thing that really bothered me is that our offensive playcalling did not change at all despite ineffective series after ineffective series. There didn't seem to be a sense of urgency when down by multiple scores with the clock running down. I mean, it's not like the final score ended up looking much prettier despite our conservatism.

jhat01
11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
The Ravens D came to play today. Our screen game was terrible, the O line was flat outplayed. We'll shake it off, this is still a very good team that got outplayed today.

RMT
11-01-2009, 02:22 PM
The biggest factors in the loss IMO was an early game two time zones to the East and the resulting Jet lag. We caught a buzz saw in a talented Ravens team that absolutely needed a win. I really don't mind losing this game because I think we will grow from the experience. Joe Flacco is a hell of a QB. The situation & Flacco were just too much to over come by this young Broncos team.

i agree - we looked flat today. the execution was poor, especially on offense and the defense struggled making stops in the 2nd half when we needed them.

all in all, tho, who would have EVER predicted a 6-1 record at this point. and of all the teams we've played, losing to the ravens is better than the patriots or bengals at this point in terms of tiebreakers. i'll take a loss to the ravens if it means a win against the steelers next monday night. then the Broncos would have tiebreakers with the patriots, bengals, and steelers. i don't see the ravens winning their division.

ScottXray
11-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah,
The ratbirds just plain wanted it more and the O did a poor job.
Orton needed better awareness at the first play...locked in on someone
to the left (probably Marshall) and totally didn't see the left side

Harris going out didn't help, and Hamilton got owned the entire first half.

Defense wore out in the late third.

A little humility will be good for the team right now with Pitt coming in for the Monday nighter.

They have an extra day to prep and heal up.

Not disappointed...they hung tough for a while.

Special TEAMS......Royal sucked at returns (again) and changing
the punter was a mistake...whosis nearly got four kicks blocked with his slow delivery, and got no yardage at all.

HEAV
11-01-2009, 02:25 PM
It was a must win game for the Ravens. They were more motivated and played like it was a playoff game.

It's still a good loss for Denver in the fact that it shows them there is still a long way to go and motivate Denver for Monday night.

baja
11-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Dude Jet Lag is caused by rapidly traveling from West to East in a "Jet Plane" and takes effect immediately when you touch down. The bye week had zilch to do with it, it's not like we traveled by covered wagon.

HEAV
11-01-2009, 02:27 PM
[quote=scottxray;2626566]harris going out didn't help, and hamilton got owned the entire first half.

Hamilton is just to small to play against DT and larger D-Linemen.

Popps
11-01-2009, 02:29 PM
The Ravens reminded me of the old Ravens. Looked like they had 14 guys on D, and knew what we were doing before we snapped the ball.

Not a big shocker. Their season was on the line, basically. They're a very good team. We made a few mistakes early on and they have too good of a D to let teams back in games.

Sucks, but it's a learning experience for the team. We still have a long way to go, and today was proof.

Still, it was 6-0 at the half and minus the opening KR TD, this could have been much closer.

Our D eventually gave way, but I like that they kept us in the game.

Offensively, we have things to figure out... but a lot of it was just playing a brutal, inspired defense.

SoCalBronco
11-01-2009, 02:29 PM
We did some good things on defense for about 3/4 of the game. It is hard to constantly go back out there and hold a good young QB, down. They did have some issues with the run at the end, but they were probably gassed. BAL had some good OT's and they held our OLBs in check vs. the blitz. I think we'll do better vs. PIT in that regard. Hopefully Harris comes back next week. The OL is allowed to have a bump in the road from time to time. I'm sure they will respond next week. They just need to clean up some things, that's all. It's a learning experience as baja said and I think there's a benefit to that. We'll be fine.

NYBronco
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
All things considered, Denver held its own agaisnt a team that had so much more on the line. Denver ST gave up another TD and until late in the game the only Raven scores came on FG's. The first down on consecutive defensive offsides was the nail in the coffin where the Raven O scored its first TD.

Who's next??? Bring them on.

Brewer
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Dude Jet Lag is caused by rapidly traveling from West to East in a "Jet Plane" and takes effect immediately when you touch down. The bye week had zilch to do with it, it's not like we traveled by covered wagon.

Umm, I think what he's saying is that the team should have been well rested, and that the time zone issue had nothing to do with it. Besides, they really only lost one hour due to DST, and it's not like they flew into Baltimore this morning. They've been there since Friday.

The Broncos will learn from this loss. Hopefully now that they're back into the weekly schedule they'll stay strong. I think the bye was actually a momentum killer for them. It sure looked that way.

Crushisback
11-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah,

A little humility will be good for the team right now with Pitt coming in for the Monday nighter.

the punter was a mistake...whosis nearly got four kicks blocked with his slow delivery, and got no yardage at all.

I agree totally with your comments.

Rohirrim
11-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I've been saying for two weeks, in this kind of game you have to tackle. I also agree that Hamilton is the weak link on the line. Once again, Clady shut down his corner. Hamilton was a turnstile. The Broncos did look flat, compared to the last six games. I'm sure they'll get pumped back up for MNF at home against the Steelers. If anybody had asked me at the beginning of the season if I would be happy if the Broncos were 6 and 1 after seven games, I would have been doing cartwheels. Still in control of their destiny.

HEAV
11-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Just have to block & run better next Monday night verse the Steelers. Brandon let us down today with the drops and sloppy routes, he needs to step up next week big time.

6-1 more than I thought this team would be, but I'm not letting them rest on that. I still want the AFC West Title and a playoff win.

broncos-rock
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Tough loss against a good team. The only thing that really bothered me is that our offensive playcalling did not change at all despite ineffective series after ineffective series. There didn't seem to be a sense of urgency when down by multiple scores with the clock running down. I mean, it's not like the final score ended up looking much prettier despite our conservatism.

Is anybody else wondering about more trick plays? I hate to use that term but I thought there would be more trickery. Maybe there sitting it up for later in the season.

Dagmar
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah,

A think that your comments are so important tha boling those part were essential

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 02:38 PM
We did some good things on defense for about 3/4 of the game. It is hard to constantly go back out there and hold a good young QB, down. They did have some issues with the run at the end, but they were probably gassed. BAL had some good OT's and they held our OLBs in check vs. the blitz. I think we'll do better vs. PIT in that regard. Hopefully Harris comes back next week. The OL is allowed to have a bump in the road from time to time. I'm sure they will respond next week. They just need to clean up some things, that's all. It's a learning experience as baja said and I think there's a benefit to that. We'll be fine.

This is why it is good to have you back!

The D simply ran out of gas because the O could not sustain a drive.

Sad that McD didn't have a wrinkle he could have introduced over the last 2 weeks. You know like he did for NE.

baja
11-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I was impressed with the effort by the Broncos when the game was obviously over late in the fourth. There is no quit in this team. The Broncos have the make up to be a good late season & playoff team. We will improve from this experience.

ScottXray
11-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Just have to block & run better next Monday night verse the Steelers. Brandon let us down today with the drops and sloppy routes, he needs to step up next week big time.

6-1 more than I thought this team would be, but I'm not letting them rest on that. I still want the AFC West Title and a playoff win.
Sorry, but BM saved at least one or two Orton picks by knocking the ball down and playing d-back. Orton was way off target today....first really BAD game without an injury to blame. ( he did get a heavy rush which is somewhat to blame but he was OFF his recievers too much.)

I agree about wanting the West title...we still control our destiny, and they should take care of business.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Considering he had 2 great catches to give us 2 wins I am giving him a pass and blaming Orton more for not finding an outlet, i.e. Sheff on the goaline on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter. He missed a couple other times but pressure will make a good QB mediocre and a mediocre QB bad. Pressure also affects the routes especially if they are as far down field as some of Marshall's were today.

baja
11-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Umm, I think what he's saying is that the team should have been well rested, and that the time zone issue had nothing to do with it. Besides, they really only lost one hour due to DST, and it's not like they flew into Baltimore this morning. They've been there since Friday.

The Broncos will learn from this loss. Hopefully now that they're back into the weekly schedule they'll stay strong. I think the bye was actually a momentum killer for them. It sure looked that way.

Well rested does nothing to relieve jet Lag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

SoCalBronco
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
This is why it is good to have you back!

The D simply ran out of gas because the O could not sustain a drive.

Sad that McD didn't have a wrinkle he could have introduced over the last 2 weeks. You know like he did for NE.

I did like the fake WR screen one way and the throwback TE screen to Graham early in the game. It didn't gain much, but it could have easily been a big play had the LB's flowed weak as they were supposed to.

It may be a good idea to put Hochstein in there a little more often for Ben. I would agree with Roh and others that Ben is getting thrown around a little too often, now.

I think we'll look pretty good vs. PIT. We'll be amped up on Monday Night and we'll have that extra day to clean up some issues.

atomicbloke
11-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Don't forget PIT is coming off a bye week...

DeusExManning
11-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I was not worried about losing but we got spanked and lost Ryan Harris. That is a concern.

go_broncos
11-01-2009, 03:05 PM
I believe we will be 6 and 2 after next week..

Tough games ahead..

UberBroncoMan
11-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I believe we will be 6 and 2 after next week..

Tough games ahead..

If we beat Pitt I'll feel more comfortable.

We'd be 7-1 with a realistic 8-1 (Washington) the week after.

8-1 with a stretch against hard teams AGAIN but with 1 game vs Oakland and 2 vs KC is favorable towards us making the playoffs.

At the moment I see us finishing at least 10-6.

55CrushEm
11-01-2009, 03:23 PM
It's simple, we lost because Eric Allen and Dan Marino picked us to win for the first time this year.......:wiggle:

meangene
11-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Hamilton is a freakin' revolving turnstile out there! How long before we replace him? He simply gets overpowered week after week. We should seriously give Hochstein some reps. Even Olsen can't be much worse.

I thought changing the punter was an overreaction and it doesn't look like we have solved that problem. Guess we should give him a couple weeks to get it together.

I am really bothered by Marshall's body language. Couple sloppy routes too (along with the hearing footsteps drop), but, the guy just shows his frustration too much. Act like a professional!

I am not so much disappointed that we lost but I felt like we got outworked and outhustled for the first time this year.

Liebs
11-01-2009, 03:33 PM
some of the worst punting I've seen in a while. Field position played a big factor- it was only a matter of time before the D broke

Taco John
11-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I am not so much disappointed that we lost but I felt like we got outworked and outhustled for the first time this year.

It was like they got punched in the nose early and were off their step all game long.

They need to come out next week and be the one punching.

meangene
11-01-2009, 03:38 PM
It was like they got punched in the nose early and were off their step all game long.

It was like that first play set the tone for the whole game. I will be interested to see how the team reacts to this adversity against a quality opponent. I know McD will be kicking some asses this week!

frerottenextelway
11-01-2009, 03:39 PM

It'll be interesting to see how we rebound because Pittsburgh is a pretty similiar team to Baltimore. Thankfully we get Wash after that.

baja
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Don't get me wrong I love the way Orton has stepped in and played so intelligently and am glad to have him given the circumstances under which he is here but watching Flacco made my mouth water to think what this team would be with a talent like him under center. But I'm not going to jump off a bridge because we have Orton.

OCBronco
11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
We finally ran into a team that figured out a way to put pressure on Orton. I was a little surprised that the play-calling was slow to adjust to this. It seemed like Baltimore just dusted off one of its old game plans for getting pressure on Brady.

Anyway, I imagine the Broncos will be better for it, and if we meet up with the Ravens in the playoffs, we may have something up our sleeves for them.

Soul-Bronco
11-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Did anyone else want to punch your TV when dan douche bag said " eddie royal was interfered with just before the ball got to him, to close to for the refree to see so thats not a penalty." Freaking guy man. i couldnt believe that.

Bronx33
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Did anyone else want to punch your TV when dan douche bag said " eddie royal was interfered with just before the ball got to him, to close to for the refree to see so thats not a penalty." Freaking guy man. i couldnt believe that.

I heard that.

colonelbeef
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Only thing that bothers me is the fact that it was coming off of a bye. Thought for sure it would be at least a competitive game going into the 4th.

Not taking too much from it, other than Flacco is certainly impressive. Broncos have to show that they can take a punch and get up the next week

misturanderson
11-01-2009, 06:22 PM

This was one of the most poorly officiated games I've ever seen. From the constant holding that was allowed to happen (and it was always right next to the ball), to that missed PI call, to the refs adding a yard or two every other time they spotted a ball for the ravens, it was a joke. It wouldn't have made us win, but it sure wouldn't have hurt.

azbroncfan
11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
It sucks to lose the way we did today but lets be honest. The best a team wishes for is to win all home games and win half road games. Any more than 12 wins is a big plus but 12 usually will get you a bye. Denver ran into a desperate team on a losing streak and dominated the LOS on both sides. Well Denver D did well until the game got out of hand but the OL (outside of 78) got their asses handed to them. This is where I would like to trade down out of round 1 and focus on the interior OL next draft. The first half playcalling was very vanilla but it seemed like the game plan all year. Play super conservative and feel the opponent out in the first half and adjust at half. The return in second half was a heart breaker and put Denver behind the eight ball. Plays were there to be made on Flacco and he turned losses into gains. He is a good Q. Royal is struggling to get open and Gaffney/Stokes weren't seen at all today. Knowshon was popped hard on fumble but he needs to hold on to the rock. Random props for Andra Davis he showed up today along with Haggans he seemed to play well on run defense. Just some rambling thoughts but anyway it was garbage game but I am happy at 6-1.

Doggcow
11-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I heard that.

The best was the ****ing announcers telling us how it was PERFECT TIMING by ed reed when he knocked eddie INTO the ball.

Oh and the guy that wanted to ****ing suck off LeRon McClain's thighs...

misturanderson
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Another thing I noticed on the first few screen passes was how bad our OLine was doing at getting blocks on the LBs and DBs. They would run out there and just dive at the ground while the guy they were aiming at would run past them and make the tackle. Clady was doing it too.

It was pitiful.

Our O just got completely outplayed by their D.

baja
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
they have software on KOA's web site that syncs the telecast with the game broadcast you never have to listen to the ill informed TV announcers. Dave Logan rocks and you get him every week in sync with the TV. Very cool.

gunns
11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Games like this happen. I feel remarkably ok with it. If it continues thats when I start to worry.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Games like this happen. I feel remarkably ok with it. If it continues thats when I start to worry.

I agree, Props to 80smith for calling this when I talked to him yesterday.

I just expected more from McDaniels coming off a bye.

I had hoped he would find something to spark the O with 2 weeks to prep for.

baja
11-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I agree, Props to 80smith for calling this when I talked to him yesterday.

I just expected more from McDaniels coming off a bye.

I had hoped he would find something to spark the O with 2 weeks to prep for.

I think he had lots of plays that he had planned but the rush from Bmore changed what he could do.I still believe the trip and early start had a big effect on this game.

These are two very closely matched teams that play a very physical game so small shifts in energy levels are magnified. Play this game in Denver and we win by the same score 30 to 7.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I think he had lots of plays that he had planned but the rush from Bmore changed what he could do.I still believe the trip and early start had a big effect on this game.

I guess you could say the same thing to explain NE losing to us at home all the time.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 08:18 PM

I wanted to punch the TV when Eddie kept running the KO's out when he was 3-5 yards deep. He didn't take a knee until the 4th q if I remember right.

baja
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I guess you could say the same thing to explain NE losing to us at home all the time.

I will be surprised if this team loses any home games this season.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 08:23 PM
I will be surprised if this team loses any home games this season.

Pitt, SD, and Gints will be tough but I liked the days when Elway would go undefeated at home.

baja
11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
The only teams that would beat us at home today are Colts and Saints well maybe Vikings too.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
The only teams that would beat us at home today are Colts and Saints well maybe Vikings too.

If we lose to Washington are you going to chalk it up to travel and time?

I agree that teams are going to lose, Shanny lost 4 games the year we won the SB, I just don't like the "acceptable loss due to travel and time" theory.

baja
11-01-2009, 08:39 PM
If we lose to Washington are you going to chalk it up to travel and time?

I agree that teams are going to lose, Shanny lost 4 games the year we won the SB, I just don't like the "acceptable loss due to travel and time" theory.

Has nothing to do with "acceptable" it is the major influencing factor is my point.

broncosteven
11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Has nothing to do with "acceptable" it is the major influencing factor is my point.

Good, only Detroit, KFC, and Lambs have acceptable losses.

ZONA
11-01-2009, 10:17 PM

What, you think the team is going to fly in a week early? Dork.

ZONA
11-01-2009, 10:23 PM
All things considered, Denver held its own agaisnt a team that had so much more on the line. Denver ST gave up another TD and until late in the game the only Raven scores came on FG's. The first down on consecutive defensive offsides was the nail in the coffin where the Raven O scored its first TD.

I don't think I've ever seen a defender jump off-sides 2 consecutive plays. From 3rd and forever to 3rd and short just like that. I'm not gonna bag on Doomerville too much for that but if you want to beat good teams on the road, you simply don't melt down like that. Being off-sides once is bad, doing it 2 times in a row, gimmie a frickin break.

Paladin
11-01-2009, 10:24 PM
I'll take 6 -1. That's better than most here predicted. 11-5 is still in play.....