PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: What to expect from AFC West QBs

Bronco Rob
10-30-2009, 02:04 PM
What to expect from AFC West QBs

October 30, 2009 12:00 PM
Posted by ESPN.com’s BURGER Bill Williamson

Each AFC West team has a fascinating quarterback storyline unfolding as the 2009 season heads to the halfway point.

Half of the teams made major changes at the position. It seems another team could join the chorus.

With the help of Scout Inc’s Gary Horton and Matt Williamson, we're going to look at where each quarterback might be headed the rest of the season:

Denver, Kyle Orton: Orton has been one of the stories of the NFL and a big reason why the AFC West quarterback club is so intriguing.

Not much was expected from Orton, who was a part of the Jay Cutler trade with Chicago. But Orton has been everything new Denver coach Josh McDaniels apparently didn’t think Cutler could be.

Orton has been a custom fit for McDaniels’ system. Together, the two have guided Denver’s offense. Orton has thrown just one interception and has been brilliant when it counts.

He’s not fancy, but he gets the job done and is getting better. Many people around the league believe that Orton will crash to earth, but Horton isn’t one of them.

“This is not a mirage,” Horton said. “Orton is for real and he will continue to play [well] for Denver.”

Horton thinks that the more McDaniels and Orton work together, the better the quarterback will become.

“Orton is a very cerebral guy, he reacts very well to good coaching,” Horton said. “McDaniels is a very good quarterback coach. He gives his quarterbacks detailed defensive philosophies. Orton really picks that up. That’s why he doesn’t make any mistakes. He knows what to expect. They really are perfect for each other.”

Kansas City, Matty SAND Cassel: In his first season in Kansas City, Cassel has been far from a franchise player the Chiefs hope he will become. Cassel has the potential, but the former Patriot has been slow to get rolling.

Cassel doesn’t have nearly the supporting talent around him in Kansas City that he had last season with the Patriots. Williamson believes Cassel has a chance to improve for the 1-6 Chiefs, but he needs help.

“He’s really tough to judge,” Williamson said. “The guy only has 21 pro starts. … But I see him as a system guy, a solid, middle-of-the-road guy who will be serviceable. He’ll never be great, but you can win with him.”

But Williamson doesn’t see Cassel having much of a chance to turn around the Chiefs this season.

“That offense needs six or seven new starters,” Williamson said. “They have possibly the worst offensive line in the NFL, which in turn gives them no running game. It’s going to take a while in Kansas City. But that’s not Cassel’s fault. I’m not saying he’ll be a star, but the quarterback is not the problem in Kansas City.”

Oakland, JaMarcus Russell: Russell is the one AFC West quarterback who is in danger of not being his team’s quarterback next season (Orton is a free agent, but look for Denver to try to sign to a long-term deal). Russell conceivably could lose his job in the next two months.

He was benched last week, and while Oakland coach Tom Cable insists he will remain the starter, Russell eventually could find himself in trouble if he continues to bumble.

Russell has shown no improvement all season and his work ethic has been questioned. This week, Cable was honest about Russell. The coach said Russell failed to make the right call on the first play of the game against the Jets and that he made the wrong reads on passes that became interceptions.

For the most part, Russell has failed to take responsibility. That’s what worries Horton about Russell’s future chances.

“I’m trying to find the silver lining there,” Horton said. “I keep trying to find reason why the Raiders shouldn’t pull the plug. But after watching him, there seems to be no choice but to pull the plug. … He is a guy who was a famous high school player and a star at LSU. This is the first time he really had to work, and, by all accounts, he doesn’t study, he’s late for meetings.

“I’m waiting for it to kick in with this guy, but I doubt it ever will.”

San Diego, Phillis Rivers: While Orton has been the story of the division, Rivers continues to show he’s the best all-around player in the AFC West.

Rivers has been spectacular this season. He has all the intangibles and he makes few mistakes. He’s a steady hand and throws one of the prettiest deep balls in the NFL.

“I love him,” Williamson said. “He’s extremely quick in processing the play. He’s a tough guy who hangs in the pocket. He has great leadership. There’s probably only four or five guys in the league I’d take over him.”

Williamson believes the Chargers, overall, are a mess because of defensive line problems and issues in the running game. Still, he said if anyone can lead San Diego to its potential, it’s Rivers.

“He can carry that team on his back,” Williamson said. “If the Chargers make the playoffs, it will be because Rivers is so good.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/5859/what-to-expect-from-afc-west-qbs-the-rest-of-the-season

8')

Irish Stout
10-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Rivers is not the best overall player in the AFC West, they can kiss my furry ass douchers!

bowtown
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
NM... I got confused.

Pick Six
10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Horton loves Orton...good to see...ROFL!

want2bAbronco2
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
i dont think he is the best player in the west either, but if i was building a team he would be one of the first i would take in all of the nfl.

400HZ
10-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Denver, Kyle Orton: Orton has been one of the stories of the NFL and a big reason why the AFC West quarterback club is so intriguing.

Not much was expected from Orton, who was a part of the Jay Cutler trade with Chicago. But Orton has been everything new Denver coach Josh McDaniels apparently didn’t think Cutler could be.

Orton has been a custom fit for McDaniels’ system. Together, the two have guided Denver’s offense. Orton has thrown just one interception and has been brilliant when it counts.

He’s not fancy, but he gets the job done and is getting better. Many people around the league believe that Orton will crash to earth, but Horton isn’t one of them.

“This is not a mirage,” Horton said. “Orton is for real and he will continue to play [well] for Denver.”

Horton thinks that the more McDaniels and Orton work together, the better the quarterback will become.

“Orton is a very cerebral guy, he reacts very well to good coaching,” Horton said. “McDaniels is a very good quarterback coach. He gives his quarterbacks detailed defensive philosophies. Orton really picks that up. That’s why he doesn’t make any mistakes. He knows what to expect. They really are perfect for each other.”
8')

Is Horton Kyle Orton's alter-ego? He sure has nice things to say about himself.

BroncoMan4ever
10-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Rivers is not the best overall player in the AFC West, they can kiss my furry ass douchers!

not the top overall player, but the top overall QB.

kappys
10-30-2009, 11:20 PM
When you consider how important the QB position is I think Rivers gets the nod as best player in the AFC West.

The only other player I would consider would be Clady as top notch LT's are probably the 2nd most valuable players.

Paladin
10-30-2009, 11:20 PM

Lame. Read the Fugging post.....

Dimwit.....

ZONA
10-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Who cares if they think Rivers is the best all around player in the AFC West. He can be the best player and he will still be home watching the Broncos in the playoffs. :curtsey:

Hulamau
10-31-2009, 03:14 AM

Every word he said in that excerpt you highlight is 100% true !!! :flower:

JCMElway
10-31-2009, 11:17 AM
**“Orton is a very cerebral guy, he reacts very well to good coaching,” Horton said. “McDaniels is a very good quarterback coach. He gives his quarterbacks detailed defensive philosophies. Orton really picks that up. That’s why he doesn’t make any mistakes. He knows what to expect. They really are perfect for each other.”

It makes sense that McD would actually favor Orton over Cutler for this reason. I can just picture McD and Cutler in their initial meetings with the new playbook, with McD going into great detail about some nuances over a defenses reaction or a blitz read. Jay's eyes are glazing over and he's having a hard time just staying awake. All the time, Jay's just thinking to himself, "Man, can we just forget all this technical crap? I just want to get out there and throw the damn ball."

Orton just has a head for this offense, and Jay does not. Hell, McD probably baited Cutler into demanding a trade by fielding calls about Cassel.

baja
10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
**“Orton is a very cerebral guy, he reacts very well to good coaching,” Horton said. “McDaniels is a very good quarterback coach. He gives his quarterbacks detailed defensive philosophies. Orton really picks that up. That’s why he doesn’t make any mistakes. He knows what to expect. They really are perfect for each other.”

It makes sense that McD would actually favor Orton over Cutler for this reason. I can just picture McD and Cutler in their initial meetings with the new playbook, with McD going into great detail about some nuances over a defenses reaction or a blitz read. Jay's eyes are glazing over and he's having a hard time just staying awake. All the time, Jay's just thinking to himself, "Man, can we just forget all this technical crap? I just want to get out there and throw the damn ball."

Orton just has a head for this offense, and Jay does not. Hell, McD probably baited Cutler into demanding a trade by fielding calls about Cassel.

I have thought for some time now it was during those early meetings with Cutler that McD realized Jay was going to be a big stumbling block to Josh implementing his "Team First" style, not only on the field and in the locker room but in cap management as well. If McD ran Jay off as now appears very possible than he handled it masterfully in playing the game in the media to maximize the value he received for Cutler.