PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News: Are unbeaten Broncos for real? We'll find out soon enough

Bronco Rob
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
10-Pack: Are unbeaten Broncos for real? We'll find out soon enough

Friday, Oct. 30, 2009 - 9:25 a.m. ET
ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio weighs in on the biggest story lines of Week 8

1. Broncos face their biggest test yet

After the Broncos won their first three games, each week brought a new opportunity for the team to prove its legitimacy.

First, it was the Cowboys. The Broncos came from behind to secure the win, and then they held off Tony Romo and company.

Coach Josh McDaniels and quarterback Kyle Orton have the Broncos at 6-0 on the season.Next, the Patriots came to town. Once again, the Broncos found a way to nail down the victory after falling behind.

Many thought the Broncos stood little chance in San Diego, given that the home team had its back pressed firmly against the wall. And yet Denver found a way to cram a foot between the wall and the Chargers' collective rear ends.

So now the 6-0 Broncos face the Ravens in Baltimore. This 3-3 team easily could be undefeated, and the Ravens suddenly need to get a win or face a difficult climb back to the playoffs.

Bottom line? If the Broncos can win this one — essentially a playoff game for the Ravens — then Denver really is for real.

And then they'll get to prove that they're for real once again the following Monday night against the Steelers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-30/10-pack-are-unbeaten-broncos-for-real-well-find-out-soon-enough

forgot to add this gem:8. Critical condition in Chicago
The Bears have plunged from 3-1 to 3-3, punctuated by a 35-point blowout by the Bengals.

The offense and defense aren't getting it done and the coaching staff is catching the heat.

It will go from really bad to incredibly horrible if the Bears find a way to blow it on Sunday at home against the Browns. Though highly unlikely given the funk in which the Browns have resided for most of the year, Cleveland gave the Bengals a pretty good game.

And that's a lot more than the Bears can say for themselves.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Why cant we be for real even if we lose? my god

Mr. Elway
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
So if we beat the Ravens we are legit. Presumably that means the Ravens, who have lost three in a row, are legit. But if we lose to them we are not legit?

This angle is so played out it's really just comical at this point.

ant1999e
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Why can't we be for real after beating the teams we have. Someone else will write the same story about us next week when we play the squeelers.

gyldenlove
10-30-2009, 01:50 PM
This is the same song and dance we heard before the Dallas game, then suddenly Dallas wasn't good enough despite dismantling some good teams since then.

We then heard it with New England, but after we won that one suddenly Brady wasn't over his injury and the Patriots defense wasn't good enough, despite Brady scoring 5 TDs for a record in a single quarter the week after we beat up on them and the defense letting in less than 10 points in the last 8 quarters of football.

Then it was San Diego, they were desperate and it was away and in prime time when Rivers was undefeated. We beat the poo out of them, but of course they were only the 2-3 Chargers who really aren't that good.

Now we have to beat the Ravens to prove that all those wins over teams ranked in the top 10 in numerous power rankings wasn't an accident. I bet you we will hear the same thing repeated if we beat the Ravens, they are wounded, they are not as good as some expected.

Hell, if we go 15-0 we are going to hear the exact same song and dance before the last game.

Eldorado
10-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Really, really for reals?

Sir_Robin
10-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Lol. I see you found that line funny too. I was going to say we couldn't really be considered real until we really really bet the really real Ravens. Then we can be certain we are really real. Really.

Mr. Elway
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Lol. I see you found that line funny too. I was going to say we couldn't really be considered real until we really really bet the really real Ravens. Then we can be certain we are really real. Really.

When danger reared its ugly head
he bravely turned his tail and fled
brave brave brave
brave Sir Robin

:thumbs:

Gcver2ver3
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM

thank you...

it's so ridiculous...we've beaten Cincy,Dal,NE, & SD but we must win this week to be for real?....isn't that what we had to do against Dal, then NE, then SD?...

can we actually lose to a team and still be for real?...

when are we allowed to lose and still be considered for real?...

Archer81
10-30-2009, 02:57 PM
thank you...

it's so ridiculous...we've beaten Cincy,Dal,NE, & SD but we must win this week to be for real?....isn't that what we had to do against Dal, then NE, then SD?...

No. We lose, and you will hear, well, the Broncos are not that good, they lost...once...where they were not favored...at someone else's house. Its stupid.

:Broncos:

TonyR
10-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Hopefully after the AFC Championship Game they'll still be asking the question. "If the Broncos win the Super Bowl on Sunday then they are definitely for real. Unless, of course, they lose their first pre season game next year..."

Ambiguous
10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
thank you...

We still have to prove we are real, then once that happens we can talk about whether or not we get to keep our real. I guess it would depend on the realness of the team that beats us, if they are even in fact real.

Stupid question - do they factor realness into the division tie breakers? **** SD beats us out there.

Que
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
True

Irish Stout
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Regardless of what happens this week, I see the Pittstain Steelers coming off a bye week at 5-2 and them being favored because of it. Someone will write "although this is in Denver on Monday night football, the 5-2 Steeler are feeling more pressure to win to keep there head above water in the AFC North Playoff hunt with Cincinatti leading the division 6-2 (having just defeated the Ravens). The Steelers come into this game wanting it more than the Broncos. Seeing as the Steelers are coming off a bye week and have gotten healthier, they are favored by 3.5 over the Broncos. This may be the first game where we start to see the glue thats gotten the Broncos this far start to fall apart, and we will see the real Broncos. Watch for Big Ben to go big! "

Greatspirits
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
For real, for real, for real, we'll be hearing that all season!

rastaman
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
The 2009 Broncos just could be the 2000 version of the Baltimore Ravens. I don't want us to carry the jinx of going undefeated into the post season. Therefore 4 or 2 loses would be fine with me or going 12-4 or 14-2 and ending the year and going 4 or 3-0 in the playoffs.

Key here is Denver has got to avoid the injuries to key/core players on both side of the ball. Defense wins championships this time around. Question is, can the Defense hold up over the 13 games for McDaniel's Miracle season to end in a SB victory!! Never say Never b/c it can happen....just ask the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

rastaman
10-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Hopefully after the AFC Championship Game they'll still be asking the question. "If the Broncos win the Super Bowl on Sunday then they are definitely for real. Unless, of course, they lose their first pre season game next year..."

If we win the AFC west title or win 11 plus game........the Broncos are for real.

Ambiguous
10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
The 2009 Broncos just could be the 2000 version of the Baltimore Ravens. I don't want us to carry the jinx of going undefeated into the post season. Therefore 4 or 2 loses would be fine with me or going 12-4 or 14-2 and ending the year and going 4 or 3-0 in the playoffs.

Key here is Denver has got to avoid the injuries to key/core players on both side of the ball. Defense wins championships this time around. Question is, can the Defense hold up over the 13 games for McDaniel's Miracle season to end in a SB victory!! Never say Never b/c it can happen....just ask the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

I still don't think the 2000 Baltimore Ravens were for real. They showed us who they really were in 2001.

extralife
10-30-2009, 03:37 PM
The talk isn't going to go away until we make noise in the playoffs, and I don't know that it should.

OCBronco
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm happy to keep flying under the radar. I hope we end up as the worst Superbowl Champion ever! I'll take that any day.

Old Dude
10-30-2009, 04:24 PM
What exactly does "for real" mean, anyway? The opposite of "bad but lucky?" "Bad but really lucky?" Bad but really, really, really lucky?"

Popps
10-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Why can't we be for real after beating the teams we have. Someone else will write the same story about us next week when we play the squeelers.

That was my thought, too.

What team is "for real" right now?

Indy? Who have they played?

New Orleans? Probably, but they were beat last week by a Miami team that's good, but not world-beaters.

NYG? Not after the past couple of games.

Pittsburgh? Good, maybe great. Not unbeatable.

What team represents this brass-ring of "for real" that we keep hearing about? I'm not saying we've "arrived," but we may lose this weekend... and still wind up in contention.

It's fair to say that this is a greatly improved team that's going to be competitive, and probably all season. We'll know who's "for real" in late December.

cutthemdown
10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I think most people see Broncos as for real in terms that this will most likely be a playoff team, probably division winner.

But we win a couple more in row it will be more like this team for to win it all period.

Popps
10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm happy to keep flying under the radar. I hope we end up as the worst Superbowl Champion ever! I'll take that any day.

I'd say the 06 Colts own that honor.

dsmoot
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
The talk isn't going to go away until we make noise in the playoffs, and I don't know that it should.

We are fighting a significant number of understandable perceptions

1. Our team has started well and folded in the last few years coming down the stretch.

2. I like what I have seen in Orton. However, in the back of my mind, I still remember the preseason performance. Is the carriage going to turn into a pumpkin.

3. We are not located in the East. People don't know us and they don't like us because we are not one of THEM.

4. Our defense sucked last year. People can't believe we REALLY have improved this unit, this quickly. Again, the carriage or the pumpkin.

5. Are we really that tough physically??? We have shown signs thus far but we are playing the Ravens this week. No matter how good a team Baltimore has been year in and year out, they will come and test your mettle physically. I have seen the Broncos in past years just melt when they have played the Ravens or Indy. I personally am looking at this team this week for strength of character.

Denver fans will ALWAYS have to fight the eastern bias, so don't let the media guys bother you. They were not willing to admit the Broncos were a very good team in 98 until Favre threw the last incompletion in SB32.

It is an absolute travesty that Little, Gradishar and Louis Wright are not in the Hall of Fame. Dave Logan (Cleveland Browns) has admitted after playing 2 games each year against Mel Blount of Pittsburgh, that Louis Wright was as good a CB. He didn't play in the east, he didn't play for a SB winner and he was a quiet leader. Thus, no recognition from the idiots on the east coast.

Atwater His Ass
10-30-2009, 05:50 PM
There's never been a week 8 game in the history of the NFL that was a "must win". I get so sick of this tired cliche being thrown around to build up the hype.

Get back to me in December when you want to talk about "must win" games.

Jason in LA
10-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't think the writer was really saying that the Broncos had to win this game to be for real. He was really making light of everybody saying that the Broncos have to win a game to prove themselves. He finished by saying that with a win they'll get to prove that they are for real all over again next week against the Steelers.

broncogary
10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
...New Orleans? Probably, but they were beat last week by a Miami team that's good, but not world-beaters. ...

Newsflash! The Saints beat the Dolphins. :sunshine:

UberBroncoMan
10-30-2009, 06:50 PM
South Park needs to do a new Imagination Land episode where everyone in the country thinks the Broncos are in fact in imaginary team that is attempting to beat real teams so they can cross the barrier of pretend and for real reals.

El Guapo
10-30-2009, 08:13 PM
and if we beat the ravens it'll be the same article copied and pasted every week with <insert team name here> until we lose. Oh well, I stopped listening to these overpaid idiots a long time ago.

GO BRONCOS!

Broncos4tw
10-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Of course we won't be "real" if we beat them. As the article states:

And then they'll get to prove that they're for real once again the following Monday night against the Steelers

So... we won't be real until we lose, and that will prove we were not. Otherwise, we'll bruise too many sensitive egos that thought we were rubbish.

BroncoMan4ever
10-30-2009, 08:30 PM

has anyone else in the league beaten 3 teams that are considered as part of the top teams in the league (Cinci, NE, and Dallas)

Circle Orange
10-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Excuse me? Since when does one loss or win qualify a team?

They're legit, either at 6-1 or 7-0. Barring a collapse, they'll be in position for a playoff run either way.

Sheesh. Sportswriters and talking heads drive me crazy sometimes.

RMT
10-30-2009, 08:57 PM

because our team isn't on the east coast.

RMT
10-30-2009, 09:00 PM
If we win the AFC west title or win 11 plus game........the Broncos are for real.

if "we" win the AFC West title, pastaman? i thot you were all about the players, not the organization or the team ... hmmm, make up your mind

baja
10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
and if we beat the ravens it'll be the same article copied and pasted every week with <insert team name here> until we lose. Oh well, I stopped listening to these overpaid idiots a long time ago.

GO BRONCOS!

I've figured it out, the Broncos have a case of "reverse Midas Touch" According to the "experts" when the Broncos beat a team that team turns to crap.

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Bottom line? If the Broncos can win this one essentially a playoff game for the Ravens then Denver really is for real.

And then they'll get to prove that they're for real once again the following Monday night against the Steelers.

Then the next week and the next week and.......! I could give a crap if they think we are legit or not! they can make us underdogs all the way to the SuperBowl for all I care!!

HAT
10-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Regardless of what happens this week, I see the Pittstain Steelers coming off a bye week at 5-2 and them being favored because of it. Someone will write "although this is in Denver on Monday night football, the 5-2 Steeler are feeling more pressure to win to keep there head above water in the AFC North Playoff hunt with Cincinatti leading the division 6-2 (having just defeated the Ravens). The Steelers come into this game wanting it more than the Broncos. Seeing as the Steelers are coming off a bye week and have gotten healthier, they are favored by 3.5 over the Broncos. This may be the first game where we start to see the glue thats gotten the Broncos this far start to fall apart, and we will see the real Broncos. Watch for Big Ben to go big! "

:thanku:

Spot on....I'm gonna copy and paste this elsewhere if you don't mind.

defenseman
10-30-2009, 09:30 PM
The sportswriters obviously have some of you hooked. WHO CARES what they think.....it means dit squat, and won't get you a cup of coffee. Two things matter, W's and L's, end of story. The rest? Toss it out with the dirty bath water....dman

Rabb
10-30-2009, 10:39 PM
I love how they say we will see if we are for real if we beat the Ravens....

then again against the Steelers

um, so if we beat the Ravens I guess we are for real for sure until the next week, then it is all up in the air again

get used to it, we will hear this all the way to whatever playoff game we make it to not limited to the Super Bowl

baja
10-30-2009, 10:50 PM

um, so if we beat the Ravens I guess we are for real for sure until the next week, then it is all up in the air again

get used to it, we will hear this all the way to whatever playoff game we make it to not limited to the Super Bowl

We won't be for real if we beat the Ravens hell they'll be a 3 & 4 team

Don't you know how it works, if we beat a team it's them proving they are bad after all they lost to us they must be bad, right.

Archer81
10-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Odd...no one is asking if the colts are for real, and they by far have the easiest early schedule.

Popps
10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Newsflash! The Saints beat the Dolphins. :sunshine:

Correct. "Were beat" was a poor choice of words on my part. I realize they lost, but they HAD THEM beat.

Point being, that game easily goes either way. The Saints aren't world-beaters, they're just a good team.

RMT
10-31-2009, 12:24 AM

exactly - and who have the colts beaten? their opponents' combined record as of last week was 11-26 ... that's weak and hardly worth saying that they are "for real" - that comment is used for them based on what they have done BEFORE this season.

broncocalijohn
10-31-2009, 12:34 AM
It seems it will never end. There is a columnist in the OC Register that calls the Broncos "Over Rated" every week. When I emailed him, I didnt get a response back but I did find it in his article in Tuesday's paper. Check this one out http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sports-team-manny-2625701-series-world

Did he watch the 2nd half of the Pats game? Lamest reason and to think we should be 4-2. Ive heard 5-1 and can live with that but what a moron.

From John, Broncos fan:"Are you trying to be the last "expert" or sports writer to downplay the Denver Broncos' season so far? You seem to be the last remaining holdout and makes you look like an uneducated sports writer. ... 'Overrated' was your new one. Seems if a team loses to the Broncos, they just aren't that good in your eyes. Seems Bengals, Pats and Cowboys are pretty good teams, with the jury still out on the underachieving Chargers. ... Put the hatred away and give this team the credit it deserves."

Comment: Obviously, I'm surprised Denver is 6-0, but the Broncos defeated the Bengals on a fluke deflection in the closing seconds and the Patriots missed a fourth-quarter field goal that would have locked up that game. So they're a 4-2 team in my book and probably will go 5-5 the rest of the way, losing at Baltimore, to Pittsburgh and the Giants at home, at Indianapolis and at Philadelphia. But at least they'll get to play one postseason game.

Did the Pats even score a point in the 2nd half? How would a field goal result in the Pats beating us?

Sassy
10-31-2009, 12:54 AM
If the Broncos were to go 19-0 and win the SB they would still be asking...

RMT
10-31-2009, 01:07 AM
It seems it will never end. There is a columnist in the OC Register that calls the Broncos "Over Rated" every week. When I emailed him, I didnt get a response back but I did find it in his article in Tuesday's paper. Check this one out http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sports-team-manny-2625701-series-world

Did he watch the 2nd half of the Pats game? Lamest reason and to think we should be 4-2. Ive heard 5-1 and can live with that but what a moron.

From John, Broncos fan:"Are you trying to be the last "expert" or sports writer to downplay the Denver Broncos' season so far? You seem to be the last remaining holdout and makes you look like an uneducated sports writer. ... 'Overrated' was your new one. Seems if a team loses to the Broncos, they just aren't that good in your eyes. Seems Bengals, Pats and Cowboys are pretty good teams, with the jury still out on the underachieving Chargers. ... Put the hatred away and give this team the credit it deserves."

Comment: Obviously, I'm surprised Denver is 6-0, but the Broncos defeated the Bengals on a fluke deflection in the closing seconds and the Patriots missed a fourth-quarter field goal that would have locked up that game. So they're a 4-2 team in my book and probably will go 5-5 the rest of the way, losing at Baltimore, to Pittsburgh and the Giants at home, at Indianapolis and at Philadelphia. But at least they'll get to play one postseason game.

Did the Pats even score a point in the 2nd half? How would a field goal result in the Pats beating us?

great question - and what about Prater's 48 yard miss in the 1st quarter? that's a kick he can make. and the one the patriot kicker missed was 40. neither is a gimme. that writer is a moron.

Broncomutt
10-31-2009, 01:11 AM
If the Broncos were to go 19-0 and win the SB they would still be asking...

If that happens they'll be asking is Josh McDaniels actually Jesus Christ.

broncocalijohn
10-31-2009, 02:01 AM
if that happens they'll be asking is josh mcdaniels actually jesus christ.

wwjmcdd?

TotallyScrewed
10-31-2009, 04:28 AM
The sportswriters obviously have some of you hooked. WHO CARES what they think.....it means dit squat, and won't get you a cup of coffee. Two things matter, W's and L's, end of story. The rest? Toss it out with the dirty bath water....dman

Their writing is by design supposed to get the conversation going whether you agree or disagree.

Carry on with the "We aren't respected"" drivel if it makes you happy.

Bottom line is this could be one of the earliest division winners ever, which says more about the division than the Broncos (sorry).

cutthemdown
10-31-2009, 04:33 AM
Odd...no one is asking if the colts are for real, and they by far have the easiest early schedule.

Colts have been better and won more big games over last 5 yrs. Won a Superbowl fairly recently, big name qb, etc etc.

For good reason we have more to prove.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Go Broncos!!!

elsid13
10-31-2009, 04:53 AM
Colts have been better and won more big games over last 5 yrs. Won a Superbowl fairly recently, big name qb, etc etc.

For good reason we have more to prove.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Go Broncos!!!

But what does that to do this season? It not what you done, it what you're doing now in the NFL.

Atwater His Ass
10-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Last I checked the Colts are undefeated as well.

Since they also contain more pedigree in recent NFL seasons, it'd be more than understandable why, even given a weaker schedule played thus far, that they get more validity than us.

LRtagger
10-31-2009, 07:02 AM
So if we beat the Ravens we are legit. Presumably that means the Ravens, who have lost three in a row, are legit. But if we lose to them we are not legit?

This angle is so played out it's really just comical at this point.

Didn't you read the article? The Ravens could easily be 6-0...unlike the Broncos

oh wait

Circle Orange
10-31-2009, 07:12 AM

Oh, they're like the 49ers of the 80s, racking up 10 or 11 wins in a weak division with established qb play, average defense. As long as Manning's line protects and everyone stays healthy, its the same year in and year out. Provided the other teams in the AFC don't decide to improve within the next century. If I hear one more pointless puff piece on Peyton's greatness, I'll puke.

rastaman
10-31-2009, 03:35 PM
if "we" win the AFC West title, pastaman? i thot you were all about the players, not the organization or the team ... hmmm, make up your mind

Okay Dumb Billy....how's this: If RMT can continue to anchor the def. line at the nose tackle spot and occupy two blockers....I can't see any reason why Doom can't lead the NFL is SACKS!:~ohyah!:

Can't you see its all about you!----JACK AZZ!;)

RMT
10-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Okay Dumb Billy....how's this: If RMT can continue to anchor the def. line at the nose tackle spot and occupy two blockers....I can't see any reason why Doom can't lead the NFL is SACKS!:~ohyah!:

Can't you see its all about you!----JACK AZZ!;)

thanks, pasta ... you're a great mentor

rastaman
11-03-2009, 04:47 PM
thanks, pasta ... you're a great mentor

Thanks TMR......you finally realize you're a legend in your own mind.

RMT
11-04-2009, 08:39 AM

i'm not a legend but if that were my goal, YOU would not be the example i (or many others on the OM) would have as our 1st choice to follow

RMT
11-04-2009, 09:06 AM

TMR would be a great OM name - it would stand for TOO MUCH RASTAMAN ... has a nice ring to it