PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2nd worst in punt coverage

TonyR
10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
According to this:

baltimoresun.com
Ravens vs. Broncos: 3 things that need to go right
October 30, 2009

1. Stop the big plays. The Ravens have given up 22 pass plays of 20 yards or more. They can't afford to have that trend continue against Denver quarterback Kyle Orton, who is 25 of 56 (44.6 percent) on throws over 10 yards.

2. Win field-position battle on punt returns. This needs to be the game in which Chris Carr or Ed Reed repeatedly puts the offense in good starting position. The Broncos rank next-to-last in punt coverage (an average of 14.9 yards).

3. Emphasize ball control on offense. In each of the Ravens' past three losses, they have held the ball about 10 minutes less than their opponent.

- Jamison Hensley

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.3thingsright30oct30,0,4910949.story

Hopefully something we'll improve upon. Maybe Berger will help?

Mr. Elway
10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Interesting, I did not realize that. Didn't Kern lead the league in touchbacks? Without seeing all the stats, I haven't noticed our coverage being all that terrible besides the Sproles return. It seems that on the whole the opposing team is typically starting at or near their own 20, and I can think of several occasions where we've had them back near the goal line.

Any stats gurus have a more detailed breakdown?

PRBronco
10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Hmm, interesting to see if Berger can help this.

SoDak Bronco
10-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Kern sucked at pinning the other team deep...he always kicked it too far into the endzone giving up 10-15 yards each punt

gyldenlove
10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
13 punts have been returned against us this year. If we discount the 1 bad return Sproles had that brings our average down from 15 yards per return to less than 10.

cmhargrove
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
13 punts have been returned against us this year. If we discount the 1 bad return Sproles had that brings our average down from 15 yards per return to less than 10.

This.

It may be a fact, but it is a statistical aberration. Take away that Sproles return and were just fine. And, what are we really talking about the top and bottom teams here - a difference of ten yards from the best to worst?

It should obviously be fixed, but this just doesn't seem like a major stat to be worried about.

bombay
10-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Good that McDaniels identified this problem and took action before it bit us in the ass (in the form of a loss).

Having punted only 13 times in 6 games is very impressive.

jhns
10-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Hopefully a new punter helps that. If they continue building like they have, the coverage units will get better. With the way Bowlen is willing to spend, we can get some good depth if they continue making good roster decisions. That depth will really help the special teams.

PRBronco
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
This.

It may be a fact, but it is a statistical aberration. Take away that Sproles return and were just fine. And, what are we really talking about the top and bottom teams here - a difference of ten yards from the best to worst?

It should obviously be fixed, but this just doesn't seem like a major stat to be worried about.

In all fairness, this is the first time in a while where I've felt like we have a really good squad of guys out there on coverage. Bruton looks like he could make a career out of his ST play alone. Reid, Woodyard and Larsen are all excellent out there too. I think you're right about the aberration.

RMT
10-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Good that McDaniels identified this problem and took action before it bit us in the ass (in the form of a loss).

Having punted only 13 times in 6 games is very impressive.

great point - which also magnifies the 6 touchbacks kern had. that's what got him cut.

Rohirrim
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Guess we'll just have to make it so we don't have to punt. ;D

cutthemdown
10-30-2009, 03:41 PM
It's the 5-6 times Kern punted from around the 50 to the other teams 45, and just drove the ball into endzone. That negates the 3- or so yrds your offense just earned. In fact with this defense if your going to pass up 60 yrd field goals to punt into the endozone, you might as well just throw it on 4th down.

Broncos are hoping that Berger makes other teams earn it more. Make that kick returner to sit there at the 10 yrd line with the ball coming down, to I fair catch? do I return? How far have I backpeddled? Should I just let it go?

Kick that obviously are into the endzone just make the returner happy to trot of the field with his team at the 20. New 25 yrds not worth it in the NFL. We need to pin people and then get some safety's.

cutthemdown
10-30-2009, 03:42 PM
The fact they ditched punter tells me Kern was being asked to do a specific punt, and he kept failing at it.

Time to bring in someone who doesn't need a big leg. We seem to move ball enough, have good enough defense, where with some good 38-45 yrd punts that are where they need to be we could do really well.

cutthemdown
10-30-2009, 03:43 PM
great point - which also magnifies the 6 touchbacks kern had. that's what got him cut.

Exactly thats 6 times our defense could have had someone really in trouble. Could be worth 20-25 points right there.