PDA

View Full Version : "Expert" Picks

Beantown Bronco
10-30-2009, 10:58 AM
From today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/graphics/10_30_09_picks/

The best part: not only are they all picking Baltimore to win, they're even picking Baltimore to cover the 3.5 pt spread.

Ambiguous
10-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Dude, "their backs are against the wall", and "we've surprised a lot of underprepared teams".

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
It's a must win for Baltiwhore so they will, all of a sudden, get great on defense and their receivers will reverse the aging process because Ray Ray the Murder wants them to win! That about cover the thinking?

PRBronco
10-30-2009, 11:12 AM
THIS is the week we find out if the Broncos are for real!

Man I'm getting tired of hearing that. Maybe McDaniels could make a statement that the Broncos are NOT for real, but intend to keep winning. Would that get everyone to stop ****ing saying it?

*edit* Haha, first article I come across after writing that is this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/10/30/week.8/index.html?eref=sihp

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Yep! Teams like New England and the Chargers after a bye week were under-prepared! Can't be just cause we're good and beat that ass!!

UberBroncoMan
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
From today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/graphics/10_30_09_picks/

The best part: not only are they all picking Baltimore to win, they're even picking Baltimore to cover the 3.5 pt spread.

It's also BOSTON. They hate the Broncos. Plus it's another East coast vs us.

UberBroncoMan
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

AAAAAAAAAAAAND whoda thunk. Last week only our former Broncos chose us to win this week its them and Allen (who in all counts is a retard).

BlaK-Argentina
10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Love it!!!

Tombstone RJ
10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
THIS is the week we find out if the Broncos are for real!

Man I'm getting tired of hearing that. Maybe McDaniels could make a statement that the Broncos are NOT for real, but intend to keep winning. Would that get everyone to stop ****ing saying it?

*edit* Haha, first article I come across after writing that is this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/10/30/week.8/index.html?eref=sihp

Luv the last line of this article. It basically states that the Broncos are the better team all over the board, but he's picking the Ravens because they are desparate.

PRBronco
10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Luv the last line of this article. It basically states that the Broncos are the better team all over the board, but he's picking the Ravens because they are desparate.

Haha, same thing we heard against the Chargers... /palmface.

Broncos4tw
10-30-2009, 11:43 AM
That's ok... I hope they do this all year. An extra chip on the player's shoulders isn't going to hurt. I read a top 5 list from an analyst who picked:

1. Saints
2. Colts
3. Bengals
4. Someone
5. Someone else

... no Broncos in the list. Stating that Bengals are better because they *should* have beat us. wth? Whatever.. keep it up folks, you aren't hurting this team. You're helping it.

Rock Chalk
10-30-2009, 12:46 PM
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2932_Real_and_spectacular_Week_8_picks.html
Denver at Baltimore (-3.5)
Yeah, we did a double-take when we read this one, too. But, for some reason, the Ravens are favored. Apparently, the pigskin public is confusing Denver-Baltimore here in 2009 with a fantastical Denver-Baltimore battle of 2008 – when the Ravens were stronger in all of our defensive Quality Stats.

But this is easily the biggest no-brainer of the week, a game that has us salivating like we standing over a double-order of extra spicy wings at Wendell's.

In fact, the Broncos have powered our gravy train all season. They’re 6-0 this year – and have been underdogs five times in those six games. They were dogs at San Diego. They were dogs at home vs. New England. They were dogs at home vs. Dallas. They were dogs in Week 1 at Cincinnati. Hell, the ultimate insult, they were dogs at Oakland this year.

Denver was favored just once this year, in Week 2 vs. Cleveland.

In other words, the pigskin public and "pundits" are really missing the boat on the Broncos. But we are not.

We’ve ridden this pony all year – picking them to win every single game, and to win and cover against the Browns which, of course, they did. So we're 6-0 in other words, rolling the dice with the Horseshoe and the rest of the Broncos this year.

So, who are you going to listen to? Your buddy at the office who has a “hunch” this week? Or Uncle CHFF?

Besides the trend this year, the Broncos hold all the advantages on the field – including the No. 1 Defensive Hogs in the NFL. The most damning evidence? The Broncos are tied with the Saints with a league-leading 3-0 record vs. Quality Teams. The Ravens are 0-3 vs. Quality Teams – and about to become 0-4.

Need just one more reason to ride the Broncos? Here you go: Prisco is picking Baltimore.

The Broncos win in yet another outright victory by a road dog for the mighty, mighty Cold, Hard Football Facts.

Denver 28, Baltimore 24

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
It's going to be a tough games and our boys are soft! Hell couldn't even practice outside this week in a foot of snow and 40 plus mph winds! Wussies! Better take some back-up!!

Houshyamama
10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Dawkins should come out of the tunnel with a scarecrow and throw it at the Ravens players.

Pick Six
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM

"Foxworth is inconsistent"? Say it isn't so...:rofl:

Rohirrim
10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2932_Real_and_spectacular_Week_8_picks.html
Denver at Baltimore (-3.5)
Yeah, we did a double-take when we read this one, too. But, for some reason, the Ravens are favored. Apparently, the pigskin public is confusing Denver-Baltimore here in 2009 with a fantastical Denver-Baltimore battle of 2008 – when the Ravens were stronger in all of our defensive Quality Stats.

But this is easily the biggest no-brainer of the week, a game that has us salivating like we standing over a double-order of extra spicy wings at Wendell's.

In fact, the Broncos have powered our gravy train all season. They’re 6-0 this year – and have been underdogs five times in those six games. They were dogs at San Diego. They were dogs at home vs. New England. They were dogs at home vs. Dallas. They were dogs in Week 1 at Cincinnati. Hell, the ultimate insult, they were dogs at Oakland this year.

Denver was favored just once this year, in Week 2 vs. Cleveland.

In other words, the pigskin public and "pundits" are really missing the boat on the Broncos. But we are not.

We’ve ridden this pony all year – picking them to win every single game, and to win and cover against the Browns which, of course, they did. So we're 6-0 in other words, rolling the dice with the Horseshoe and the rest of the Broncos this year.

So, who are you going to listen to? Your buddy at the office who has a “hunch” this week? Or Uncle CHFF?

Besides the trend this year, the Broncos hold all the advantages on the field – including the No. 1 Defensive Hogs in the NFL. The most damning evidence? The Broncos are tied with the Saints with a league-leading 3-0 record vs. Quality Teams. The Ravens are 0-3 vs. Quality Teams – and about to become 0-4.

Need just one more reason to ride the Broncos? Here you go: Prisco is picking Baltimore.

The Broncos win in yet another outright victory by a road dog for the mighty, mighty Cold, Hard Football Facts.

Denver 28, Baltimore 24

That's a much nicer read than all the other **** I've seen on the web. It really shows you what a giant herd of sheep the sports journalism industry is.

Paladin
10-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Better read, but just 28-24? Sort of pulling the punch there, eh, sparkie? I do like their "Quality Teams" concept.

But 28-24? Lame.

But I'd take it.....

Rock Chalk
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Better read, but just 28-24? Sort of pulling the punch there, eh, sparkie? I do like their "Quality Teams" concept.

But 28-24? Lame.

But I'd take it.....

Not really, their three losses are by a combined 11 points.

They are 0-3 against Quality Teams but they dont get blown out by them.

NFLBRONCO
10-30-2009, 04:35 PM
This is a tough game for us but, unlike Shanny's last decade of soft teams I do like our chances if we take care of the ball and limit stupid flags. We are definately no longer pushovers. We just never know the week we might have a bad game. This team has made huge strides.

gunns
10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Need just one more reason to ride the Broncos? Here you go: Prisco is picking Baltimore

Hilarious!

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Ravens Problem solved!

Archer81
10-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Not really, their three losses are by a combined 11 points.

They are 0-3 against Quality Teams but they dont get blown out by them.

First time for everything, eh?

:Broncos:

spdirty
10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
These are the types of guys that Vegas loves.

ZONA
10-31-2009, 12:15 AM
I think people picking against the Broncos this week don't really think so much that the Ravens are much better as it is they feel how long can the Broncos win consecutive games. They believe we are for real already but we have to lose some time and they don't want to be late for that party.

I think clearly we are the better team. I just hope the game isn't lost on some bad calls or some unlucky bounces of the ball. That stuff happens you know.

JJJ
10-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Yep! Teams like New England and the Chargers after a bye week were under-prepared! Can't be just cause we're good and beat that ass!!

Here is one Bolt fan that believes you thoroughly earned both those victories. Donkies in the second half have been bad-asses. Good teams play well after halftime.

RMT
10-31-2009, 01:02 AM
I think people picking against the Broncos this week don't really think so much that the Ravens are much better as it is they feel how long can the Broncos win consecutive games. They believe we are for real already but we have to lose some time and they don't want to be late for that party.

I think clearly we are the better team. I just hope the game isn't lost on some bad calls or some unlucky bounces of the ball. That stuff happens you know.

yeah, that stuff happened last week in pittsburgh. refs call a phantom "tripping" penalty on the Rice go-ahead TD - next thing you know favre fumbles on the very next play and it's a 14 point swing. what a travesty. and now everyone is talking about the steelers' resurgence. this is the same team that beat the lowly titans by THREE on opening night.

Gort
10-31-2009, 05:33 AM
That's ok... I hope they do this all year. An extra chip on the player's shoulders isn't going to hurt. I read a top 5 list from an analyst who picked:

1. Saints
2. Colts
3. Bengals
4. Someone
5. Someone else

... no Broncos in the list. Stating that Bengals are better because they *should* have beat us. wth? Whatever.. keep it up folks, you aren't hurting this team. You're helping it.

anybody who thinks the Bengals deserved to win that game only saw the ESPN highlights. the Broncos never trailed until less than a minute remained in the game. and the only reason the Bengals marched down to score that TD was the Broncos reverted to the dreaded "prevent a win" soft zone pass defense from the recent Shanny years. Palmer passed for 63 yards on that penultimate Bengal drive. that was 28.5% of all of their passing yards on the day! their previous 9 drives ended in punts 7 times, 1 change of possession on downs, and 1 change of possession on a turnover (INT). they did NOTHING all game until that final drive. sure, the tip to Stokley was part luck, but the Broncos earned that victory and it was serendipity at work at the end to preserve what the Broncos had rightfully earned.

Gort
10-31-2009, 05:42 AM
yeah, that stuff happened last week in pittsburgh. refs call a phantom "tripping" penalty on the Rice go-ahead TD - next thing you know favre fumbles on the very next play and it's a 14 point swing. what a travesty. and now everyone is talking about the steelers' resurgence. this is the same team that beat the lowly titans by THREE on opening night.

i think that was a travesty. saw it. knew right away the game would turn on it. it did.

the refs are too much a part of the outcome of games in the NFL. holding can be called on every single offensive play if they want to call it. somebody is always technically "holding". and since it's a 10 yard penalty, you can swing the outcome of a game by one well chosen opportunity to throw a flag for holding.

if the mob doesn't have a hand in the final score of games by "controlling" just a handful of refs or players, then they are missing a huge money making opportunity. i've always suspected that the outcome of Superbowl III was not 100% kosher. it wouldn't surprise me if we some day find out that the NFL has had the same problem with rogue refs as the NBA has had.

baja
10-31-2009, 08:16 AM
anybody who thinks the Bengals deserved to win that game only saw the ESPN highlights. the Broncos never trailed until less than a minute remained in the game. and the only reason the Bengals marched down to score that TD was the Broncos reverted to the dreaded "prevent a win" soft zone pass defense from the recent Shanny years. Palmer passed for 63 yards on that penultimate Bengal drive. that was 28.5% of all of their passing yards on the day! their previous 9 drives ended in punts 7 times, 1 change of possession on downs, and 1 change of possession on a turnover (INT). they did NOTHING all game until that final drive. sure, the tip to Stokley was part luck, but the Broncos earned that victory and it was serendipity at work at the end to preserve what the Broncos had rightfully earned.

To be fair the Bengals receivers also had about 6 drops in that game.

RhymesayersDU
10-31-2009, 08:33 AM
i think that was a travesty. saw it. knew right away the game would turn on it. it did.

the refs are too much a part of the outcome of games in the NFL. holding can be called on every single offensive play if they want to call it. somebody is always technically "holding". and since it's a 10 yard penalty, you can swing the outcome of a game by one well chosen opportunity to throw a flag for holding.

if the mob doesn't have a hand in the final score of games by "controlling" just a handful of refs or players, then they are missing a huge money making opportunity. i've always suspected that the outcome of Superbowl III was not 100% kosher. it wouldn't surprise me if we some day find out that the NFL has had the same problem with rogue refs as the NBA has had.

When the Donaghy scandal first came out, I said the same thing, although didn't get much of a response. I'm not saying that any NFL refs are dirty, nor can I comment on SB III, but yes, with how the penalties work in the NFL, holding like you said, etc, a ref could easily stop a drive in the red zone, turn a TD into a FG, etc. Again, not saying it is happening, but that there is so much potential for refs to manipulate the scores for the point spread.

ElwayMD
10-31-2009, 08:42 AM

1. Saints
2. Colts
3. Bengals
4. Someone
5. Someone else

Yeah I was listening to DC sports talk and the announcers did their top 5 NFL teams both of them left the Broncos off the list because they had excuses for every win so far. Then they talked about how the Redskins could beat the Broncos since it's at FedEx field and that Orton is going to come back down to earth. I love it though. I want this team to be underestimated all the way to the big game.

snowspot66
10-31-2009, 10:00 AM
To be fair the Bengals receivers also had about 6 drops in that game.

So did we.

baja
10-31-2009, 10:08 AM
So did we.

True but our drops did not make our D look better than we were which is what we are discussing.

bap454
10-31-2009, 11:02 AM
So did we.

Just as long as we catch the one that really counts....you hearing me Stokely!!

Bronx33
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
xspurts

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I care way more about Cold Hard Football Facts and DeadSpin than any other sports "journalism."