PDA

View Full Version : Excerpts from Tim Donaghy's Book (Eye Opening)

chickennob2
10-30-2009, 09:26 AM
http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

LOTS of examples at the link, too many to copy/paste in good conscience, but I decided to post the one that I KNEW was fixed from the moment I saw it:

Studying under Dick Bavetta for 13 years was like pursuing a graduate degree in advanced game manipulation. He knew how to marshal the tempo and tone of a game better than any referee in the league, by far. He also knew how to take subtle and not so subtle cues from the NBA front office and extend a playoff series or, worse yet, change the complexion of that series.

The 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings presents a stunning example of game and series manipulation at its ugliest. As the teams prepared for Game 6 at the Staples Center, Sacramento had a 32 lead in the series. The referees assigned to work Game 6 were Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney, and Ted Bernhardt. As soon as the referees for the game were chosen, the rest of us knew immediately that there would be a Game 7. A prolonged series was good for the league, good for the networks, and good for the game. Oh, and one more thing: it was great for the big-market, star-studded Los Angeles Lakers.

In the pregame meeting prior to Game 6, the league office sent down word that certain calls calls that would have benefitted the Lakers were being missed by the referees. This was the type of not-so-subtle information that I and other referees were left to interpret. After receiving the dispatch, Bavetta openly talked about the fact that the league wanted a Game 7.

"If we give the benefit of the calls to the team that's down in the series, nobody's going to complain. The series will be even at three apiece, and then the better team can win Game 7," Bavetta stated.

As history shows, Sacramento lost Game 6 in a wild come-from-behind thriller that saw the Lakers repeatedly sent to the foul line by the referees. For other NBA referees watching the game on television, it was a shameful performance by Bavetta's crew, one of the most poorly officiated games of all time.

If you are at all an NBA fan, you need to read this.

It's pretty badly OT, but perhaps rigged officiating in professional sports is enough of a universal phenomenon it can stay in central discussion.

Eldorado
10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
whut!! NBA refs are crooked?

No way. I refuse to believe it.

LonghornBronco
10-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I wonder who officiated the Laker's v Nugget's series?

ludo21
10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Suns got screwed, I knew it!! At least I have official confirmation now.

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Playoffs is all about big markets, and TV ratings. That's a fact. Small markets always have to play against the refs and the team on the other side of the court. Case in point, '98 finals Jazz vs Bulls- The refs were told no way Jordon (5 billion dollar boy) goes out (retires) a loser! The ref that outted that fact was banned from the league and forced to sign a gag order and was paid big money! Leader of that ref crew? Cock Bavetta! Look at how many foul shots a game guys like Jordan and Kobe and other "STARS" shoot a game for breathing on them, and how many times a star like LeBron foul out! L. James has fouled out less than 5 times in his career, Jordon and Kobe less that many in a much longer career. Seriously First round Lakers against say the Jazz or Sacramento...Who watches if the Jazz win? Utah people...LAkers win? Half the west still watches..what do you think..Rigged?

side note: the publisher is now declining to publish the book citing possible liability issues! Like they all of a sudden decided the book wasn't credible? Or did the league threaten to sue for outting them?
Thank God Football isn't the same way and isn't as regionally dependant for TV ratings!

spdirty
10-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Everyone that pays any attention to basketball knows that Donaghy is right about at least 90% of his claims. What makes him a dlck is that he was OK with it till he got caught.

One thing that is a big difference between the NFL and NBA is that Ed Hoculi, who is IMO an outstanding official, will go the rest of his life regretting that call he made last year. Anyone here think Bavetta regrets for one second what he did in 2002? Or even other games that he has manipulated during his career?

In the NBA however, these assholes just go on about their corruption like its no big deal. And that pig David Stern just wants to sweep Donaghy under the rug like he has absolutely no credibility in anything he says, and everything he has said is completely false because he is a felon. And the evidence is in the games. I was actually hoping we would get scab refs this year so at least there would be new fresh blood in there and guys calling it like they see it rather than the crap thats out there now.

broncocalijohn
10-30-2009, 11:02 AM
This book can be published by Tim himself online. It is being done a lot. On a side note, the Kings were horrible at the line while Lakers were total money. All Kings had to do was shoot average FT and they easily win the game. You can give a team an advantage but that team needs to take advantage of it and the other team cant make basic mistakes. It has always been the way of refs giving the greats all benefits of the doubt.

spdirty
10-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Hell last nights Denver-Portland game looked pretty damn corrupt when you think about it, and Im a Denver fan. Denvers up by 1 with 10 seconds left and they send Portlands probably worst free throw shooter to the line on a bs ticky tack call? Im sure Portland would like those seconds back with the ball rather than Greg Oden at the line.

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Everyone that pays any attention to basketball knows that Donaghy is right about at least 90% of his claims. What makes him a dlck is that he was OK with it till he got caught.

All of them that have a job are OK WITH IT! How sad is that?

Tombstone RJ
10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
whut!! NBA refs are crooked?

No way. I refuse to believe it.

I appears that its not just the refs who are crooked, its the NBA itself that is crooked, after all, they told the refs what to do.

I friggen hate the NBA.

Tombstone RJ
10-30-2009, 11:13 AM
The Jordon years were the worst for NBA officiating. Talk about a total lovefest (or what I call a crapfest) with Jordon. Time and time again I watched the refs call ticky tack fouls on a team like the Nuggets and let blatant fouls slide for the Bulls

This is really when I started to loathe the NBA. It seemed so obvious to me that the small market teams had to battle not just the Bulls, but the officials too.

gtown
10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
The NBA is irrelevant. Has been for years. Mismanagement by David Stern, the thug-life rep, the star treatment, and now this. Ref manipulation is just the cherry on top of this **** sundae.

broncofan7
10-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Tim Donahey is doing to NBA officials what Jose Canseco did to the players who were taking performance enhancing drugs----TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT IT.

worm
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
No ax to grind here at all.

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I think that Monday morning tattling about steriods afer the league had all ready taken a stand against them doesn't QUITE compare to some one exposing the very heart of a league's existance...game manipulation and NBA picked outcomes. If this can be "proven" it will bring down the league atleast in the short-term and will finish destroying it's credibility for a decade!

Eldorado
10-30-2009, 11:36 AM
oh man, my head hurts.

bombay
10-30-2009, 11:38 AM
It's easy to believe.

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
How long do you think the NFL would last if it was the Patriots and the Cowboys or giants every year in the SuperBowl?

UberBroncoMan
10-30-2009, 11:56 AM
This is why I stopped watching the NBA when I grew up... I loved the Bulls as a kid (lawl at media owning kids)...I also liked the Suns alright because I thought Thunder Dan was cool. Then I adopted the Nuggets when they still had Mutombo on the team... I think they made it to the playoffs and beat the top seed Sonics only to lose to the Jazz.

Been a Nuggets fan since and while it's cool to not seem them as consistent pile of **** I don't really give a **** about them because again... I don't give a **** about the NBA or its players.

TexanBob
10-30-2009, 05:33 PM
He needs someone to collaberate his claims or they are worthless. He's dirty. Nobody is going to believe his words alone since he plea-bargained.

Boobs McGee
10-30-2009, 05:47 PM
WOW that is some crazy ****!

I had no idea...I mean, I knew there's been some pretty horrible officiating over the last few years, but this is disgusting (if true).

Hopefully he publishes it, I'd like to read more. Although, it might completely turn me off from the NBA, so that wouldn't be good... we'll see.

Can you imagine if the NFL was similarly influened? HOLY **** that would be bad.

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 08:21 PM
He needs someone to collaberate his claims or they are worthless. He's dirty. Nobody is going to believe his words alone since he plea-bargained.

There are two scientific axium that you need to apply here. !- "Auchum Razor": the simplest explaination is probably the right one! And 2- if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and hasfeathers and swims like a Duck...it's probablly a DUCK!!! This isn't the first time this has been alleged, just the first time it's gone this far! Guys that outted the fact there was rampant Steriods in baseball weren't wrong just cause they got caught or made a deal! Anybody who watches Basketball knows this is a major part of the game.

On a side note: I went from having 7th row Jazz Season tickets for 4 of the 8 years I had them to not even knowing what my team did over the offseason or who is still on the team. Just turned on the game to find out! 4th qtr..up on the Clippers 3:45 left up by 12. First time i thought to give a ****! and the Jazz are big here like the Broncos are in Denver. (It's all we got..lol!)