PDA

View Full Version : ESPN : "Broncos: Will they go undefeated?"

Bronco Rob
10-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Broncos: Will they go undefeated?

October 29, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.comís BURGER Bill Williamson

Denver coach Josh McDaniels knows a little something about going undefeated.

Analysis: If anyone knows about going 16-0, it is Josh McDaniels. The first-year Broncos head coach was with New England when it ran the table in the regular season in 2007. McDaniels, 33, was much more than a bystander in the Patriotsí historic run. He was the offensive coordinator of the record-breaking unit. So, this isnít too big for McDaniels. Yes, Denverís 6-0 start is shocking, but McDaniels has his team playing remarkably well and believing in itself. The Broncos arenít surprised by their start. They think they can win every game. It is highly unlikely for any team to go 16-0. But the thing about Denver is, it has simply found a way to win every game. It has made the right play at the right time on both sides of the ball. Denver has been spectacular in the second half as it has outscored opponents 76-10. Can the team go 16-0? Probably not. But who thought McDanielsí outfit would be 6-0 at the bye?

Toughest challenge: The Broncos have several tough challenges, starting with their first two games after the bye. Denver plays at Baltimore on Sunday and then plays host to Pittsburgh on a Monday night. Denver is actually in the middle of a very difficult stretch. When the Broncos started 3-0, many league observers thought they were ready to crash because they were starting a nasty 10-game stretch. Yet, Denver dispatched Dallas, New England and San Diego before the bye. After dates against the Ravens and Steelers, games with San Diego, the Giants and Indianapolis loom. Iíd say the toughest tests are going to be against Pittsburgh on Nov. 9 and at the Colts, whose record is also perfect, on Dec. 13. But the thing about the Broncos is, they donít care who their opponent is, they believe they'll find weaknesses to exploit.

Broncos remaining schedule
Nov. 1: @Baltimore
Nov. 9: Pittsburgh
Nov. 15: @Washington
Nov. 22: San Diego
Nov. 26: NY Giants
Dec. 6: @Kansas City
Dec. 13: @Indianapolis
Dec. 20: Oakland
Dec. 27: @Philadelphia
Jan. 3: Kansas City

Playoff carryover: If Denver can beat the likes of the Ravens, Steelers and Colts, it probably will go to the playoffs full of confidence. Thatís why these upcoming games are so important. Denver has to show the conference (and prove to itself) that it can play with anyone in the AFC. Denver also has to keep winning to try to play as much as possible at home in the postseason. Playing in Denver in January would not be a picnic for anyone.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/5760/broncos-will-they-go-undefeated

:egbgb:

Killericon
10-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, now they've jinxed it.

;)

Dukes
10-29-2009, 08:20 AM
13-3. Mark it down.

Man-Goblin
10-29-2009, 08:22 AM
What the **** is this ****?

BroncoBuff
10-29-2009, 08:24 AM
I hope we don't actually ... 14-2 is plenty good enough for me.

Besides, we saw what 16-0 did for the Cheatriots.

Dukes
10-29-2009, 08:24 AM

Exactly.

Doggcow
10-29-2009, 08:26 AM
damnit, 6-10 is guaranteed now, **** you espn.

dbfan4life
10-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Going undefeated like that puts tons of pressure on a team. Better to take your lumps during the regular season. Better to go undefeated during the playoffs. :strong:

Garcia Bronco
10-29-2009, 08:31 AM
LOL. After 6 weeks.

Hogan11
10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
2005 all over again.

SoDak Bronco
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
If we end up with 11-5 I will be happy. We still have plenty of really tough games in this stretch...Balt is going to be tough, NY Giants, tough, Indy really tough, @ KC their Superbowl, @ Philly no cake walk...

Kaylore
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM

Exactly.

:saywhat:So just to be clear, you guys are saying you hope we lose games? I would love to go undefeated. And the Patriots didn't lose because they were undefeated, they lost because they got outplayed in the Super Bowl. The Dolphins were undefeated and won the Super Bowl.

It's pointless because we are going to lose at least two more games this season, but I would never wish for us to lose. Ever.

Bob's your Information Minister
10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
**** no.

oubronco
10-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Hell No we go 0-10 down the stretch

lex
10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
:saywhat:So just to be clear, you guys are saying you hope we lose games? I would love to go undefeated. And the Patriots didn't lose because they were undefeated, they lost because they got outplayed in the Super Bowl. The Dolphins were undefeated and won the Super Bowl.

It's pointless because we are going to lose at least two more games this season, but I would never wish for us to lose. Ever.

I think most people are really saying theyd rather lose in the regular season where some of their mistakes or flaws can be corrected and learned from rather than the postseason where you dont have the opportunity to learn from losses.

BTW, the Patriots lost because they were a flawed football team. They were pass happy. It allowed them to exploit a lot of weaker teams in the regular season. They went from averaging 30 something points in the regular season (setting the record for points) to averaging a meager 22 points a game in the playoffs. New England lacked the necessary balance on offense to sustain itself when it mattered most.

To wit, you are now hearing Sean Payton talking about complimentary football meaning they need to cultivate the running game. This Saints team could have possibly contend for setting the record for points by falling in love with the pass. They might actually have a better chance at doing it by cultivating the run.

outdoor_miner
10-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I can't believe Burger Bill posted this after 6 games. Seriously Bill?

I'm sure the Broncos are going to lose one coming up here. I really just hope we continue to put ourselves in position to win every game. No blowouts, and just good competitive football. I love how the team is playing, and I can live with a loss or two if we keep playing solid in all phases. Let's go into the playoffs as one of those teams that nobody wants to play because they know that there is no way in hell we are going to roll over... Homefield advantage would be nice, too. 8')

Dukes
10-29-2009, 09:00 AM

It's not that I want them to lose. Going undefeated that far into the season has a negative effect on the players IMO. They start worrying about not losing to keep the steak going rather than working on winning a SB. Go back to the America's Game series and listen to Stink. The entire team was almost releaved when they lost in '98 to regain focus on their ultimate objective.

worm
10-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Amazing how people go to extremes. Too high and too low, there ain't no in between.

Popps
10-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Of course we'll lose games. We'll probably end up somewhere around 10-6, which would be a WILDLY successful season, given what the team has gone through in one off-season.

My goals for the team this season were...

1. Show a clear foundation being put in place for winning. (Check)

2. Finish strong.

Finishing stronger than an undefeated start will be rough, but as long as we continue to look like a better team and play tough, smart football... I'll be elated with this season.
Anything the way of playoff appearances or wins is bonus material.

I think we're a really good team right now. I'm not convinced we're a GREAT team yet, but we're certainly putting the pieces in place.

Blart
10-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I think we do it. McDaniels has been there before.

ant1999e
10-29-2009, 09:25 AM

I don't think this is impossible. I say we may lose to the steelers and the colts. i think we can win the other games.

Popps
10-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I can't believe Burger Bill posted this after 6 games. Seriously Bill?

I'm sure the Broncos are going to lose one coming up here. I really just hope we continue to put ourselves in position to win every game. No blowouts, and just good competitive football. I love how the team is playing, and I can live with a loss or two if we keep playing solid in all phases. Let's go into the playoffs as one of those teams that nobody wants to play because they know that there is no way in hell we are going to roll over... Homefield advantage would be nice, too. 8')

:strong:

Orange4Life
10-29-2009, 09:33 AM
We'll be damn lucky to win another game.

Hulamau
10-29-2009, 09:35 AM
If we do go 16-0 ( actually 19-0 is much better) Josh should be able to claim Shannys old 35,000 square foot house plus his three years of salary still on Bowlen's nickel :-)

At the very least Bowlen has give him a HUGE contract extension and he becomes Governor of Colorado by default. ... and proceedings will start at the Vatican for sainthood !

Hulamau
10-29-2009, 09:36 AM
of course we'll lose games. We'll probably end up somewhere around 10-6, which would be a wildly successful season, given what the team has gone through in one off-season.

1. Show a clear foundation being put in place for winning. (check)

2. Finish strong.

Finishing stronger than an undefeated start will be rough, but as long as we continue to look like a better team and play tough, smart football... I'll be elated with this season.

I think we're a really good team right now. I'm not convinced we're a great team yet, but we're certainly putting the pieces in place.

bingo!

Tombstone RJ
10-29-2009, 09:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/5760/broncos-will-they-go-undefeated

:egbgb:

Playoff carryover: If Denver can beat the likes of the Ravens, Steelers and Colts, it probably will go to the playoffs full of confidence. Thatís why these upcoming games are so important. Denver has to show the conference (and prove to itself) that it can play with anyone in the AFC. Denver also has to keep winning to try to play as much as possible at home in the postseason. Playing in Denver in January would not be a picnic for anyone.

What a crock of crap. Denver has already proved "...that it can play with anyone in the AFC."

If anyone needs to prove anything its the stinking colts. Talk about a fluff pile of poop schedule. If we this article uses the same logic with the colts as it does with the Broncos, then the colts have not proven a damn thing yet...

Chris
10-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Yet another example of ESPN trying to get traffic on it's site by putting out turds.

2KBack
10-29-2009, 10:05 AM
well undefeated would make my life a touch more interesting, beyond the obvious jubilation of an awesome season. I foolishly told myself a couple weeks ago that I wouldn't shave until Denver loses a game.

Bronco Warrior
10-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Does Bill read the Mane? lol! I said that "wouldn't it be funny if Josh lead two different teams to 16-0 regular season record and was told "Don't jinx us" a few days ago...lol! It was the first time I had hear anybody make the comparison..well when I said it. Bill if you are watching this, We are going to finish 6-10 now you turd!!

Bronco Warrior
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
well undefeated would make my life a touch more interesting, beyond the obvious jubilation of an awesome season. I foolishly told myself a couple weeks ago that I wouldn't shave until Denver loses a game.

Shave where? I haven't shaved certain stuff since our last SB win and waiting for the next one!!

lex
10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Does Bill read the Mane? lol! I said that "wouldn't it be funny if Josh lead two different teams to 16-0 regular season record and was told "Don't jinx us" a few days ago...lol! It was the first time I had hear anybody make the comparison..well when I said it. Bill if you are watching this, We are going to finish 6-10 now you turd!!

Sometimes I wonder. Its easy to scoff at this idea and choose to believe that these guys have better things to do with their time but when you really think about it, theyre job is to know their audience and what better way is there to do that then check the temperature by looking at fan message boards? Not only that but there have been several instances of less obvious message board topics seeing coverage.

Bronco Warrior
10-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Sometimes I wonder. Its easy to scoff at this idea and choose to believe that these guys have better things to do with their time but when you really think about it, theyre job is to know their audience and what better way is there to do that then check the temperature by looking at fan message boards? Not only that but there have been several instances of less obvious message board topics seeing coverage.

It's funny how many times it "appears" to be happening, and the timing makes if borderline suspicious! I have said stuff on here that was originl atleast in my head, and others too, then all of a sudden somebody is writing about it in the media, and sometimes it is really non mainstream thinking or a concept that hasn't been previously put forward. We may be more influential that we may know! Well not you fools, but me....lol!!

2KBack
10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Shave where? I haven't shaved certain stuff since our last SB win and waiting for the next one!!

Wow Dokken, you haven't shaved your legs in 10 years? Isn't it uncomfortable when you wear your leopard print tights?

spdirty
10-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Why dont people want or think we can go undefeated? Isnt that what we hired Mcdaniels for anyway?

Anyone remember 1998, how freaking awesome that 13-0 run was? How exciting an otherwise seemingly meaningless Chiefs game was? that was fun. I hope we do it again, and this time go 19-0 like Dom said.

Ambiguous
10-29-2009, 10:50 AM
What a bunch of crap. We've won 6 games, that means nothing.

Rigs11
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
14-2! The streets will flow with the blood of the non believers!:strong:

azbroncfan
10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
What a stupid question.

Bob
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
First we were going to loose every game. Now we are going to win every one of them?

I couldnt be happier to see what we have been able to do this year, I'm still shocked. We do have an upgrade in talent over-all, but the system we have in place, and the new heart in the D has been surprisingly good, and will get us a win or two in the play-offs....its a new way to win in Denver. For so long we have depended on star power to move us foward -- I think Orton is playing behind one of the best O lines in the NFL, and is a mistake free kind of QB, I like the W's, but it is different when we are so used to with Elway, TD, Cutler etc... seemingly being able to will some W's, and creating some exciting games. The flip side to "gunslinger" types like Cutler was that he tried to do too much (sometimes when he did not need to) and threw too many picks. Orton knows his scope with the system, and fills it perfectly. I was dead wrong about the Broncos in the pre-season...

Bob
10-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Why dont people want or think we can go undefeated? Isnt that what we hired Mcdaniels for anyway?

Anyone remember 1998, how freaking awesome that 13-0 run was? How exciting an otherwise seemingly meaningless Chiefs game was? that was fun. I hope we do it again, and this time go 19-0 like Dom said.

I think saying it this early creates pressure, and then stupid mistakes...but I will enjoy the ride...

atomicbloke
10-29-2009, 11:48 AM
This article is crap.

We won't win another game till 2013.

Dukes
10-29-2009, 11:57 AM

And remember how relieved the players were when the undefeated run was over?

Old Dude
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
If anyone is going to go undefeated in the regular season, it's far more likely to be the Colts or the Saints.

The Colts have a couple of easy marks still on their schedule: a home game against 0-6 Tennessee, who they've already beaten on the road, and Buffalo, which has a surprisingly good pass defense, but not much else.

They play the 49es, Jags and Jets, who are all more or less "average" and inconsistent teams. The Colts will be favored in every one of those games.

That's 5 out of the remaining 10.

They play at Baltimore - which is having big problems with pass defense. They could easily win that one.

They have home and away games against the Texans. Too soon to tell if the Texans are really a good team this year or just another .500 edition. No one would be shocked if the Colts swept them.

That leaves HOME games against New England and Denver.

What about the Saints? Their schedule is even sweeter.

They still get to feast on some really bad teams: Carolina (twice), St. Louis, Tampa Bay (twice) and Washington. That's six of their remaining ten where they will be heavily favored, and with good reason.

The remaining 4 are home and away against Atlanta, home against the Pats and home against the Cowboys. It's hard to say how good Atlanta is right now. Certainly an above average team, but also beatable. We know Dallas is beatable. That just leaves the Pats.

Denver has, far and away, the hardest remaining schedule. They will be underdogs to the Ravens, Steelers, Giants and Colts for sure. And probably to the Eagles on the road. Going 16-0 would require at least five more upset wins.

Paladin
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
17 and 2 would be fine.

I had said 11-5 but 10 - 6 for sure. Well, we will see, but if the Broncso make the playoffs, that by itself would kick a few butts......

Hulamau
10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't mind going 15-1 and losing to Indy at their house in over time on a muffed call by the Refs. Then Indy losses two regular seasons games as we still get home field advantage and plow them under in a brutal revenge match in a Snow Bowl in late January on the way to locking horns with the 'Aints' in the SB .... Where Drew Brees reverts to her early Charger days and we get 5 picks for a 42 to 10 waltz in the park ... The Broncos are then crowned by universal acclaim as the 'Greatest Cinderella Story of ALL TIME'!!

I could live with that :-)

BroncoMan4ever
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM

i agree completely. even though losing sucks, it is necessary at least 1 time a year so that a team keeps it edge and goes back to work and fixes little weaknesses and gets better. an occasional loss can be beneficial as a learning purpose.

also the pressure that comes with being perfect would begin to weigh on everyone associated with the team.

i am also curious how McDaniels will respond to a loss. it is easy to be an HC when everything is going great and everyone is beginning to buy what you are selling, but the true test of a coach is how does he react after a loss.

Old Dude
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think 14-2 is realistic. But it doesn't have to be.

12-4 will guarantee the AFC West title if one of the remaining wins comes over the Chargers. That would drop the Bolts to 4 losses and Denver would own the tiebreaker based on head to head.

If one of the other remaining wins was against Pittsburgh, Denver would be in fantastic shape in terms of playoff seeding, since they already have wins over the Bengals and Pats. 12-4 might be good enough to get a first round bye.

baja
10-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Of course we'll lose games. We'll probably end up somewhere around 10-6, which would be a WILDLY successful season, given what the team has gone through in one off-season.

1. Show a clear foundation being put in place for winning. (Check)

2. Finish strong.

I think we're a really good team right now. I'm not convinced we're a GREAT team yet, but we're certainly putting the pieces in place.

Why is it a given we will lose a game, right now undefeated is a possibility until we lose it is not a given we will lose.

baja
10-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Damn another Bronco Warrior plagiarized thought. There should be a law...

Borks147
10-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think 14-2 is realistic. But it doesn't have to be.

12-4 will guarantee the AFC West title if one of the remaining wins comes over the Chargers. That would drop the Bolts to 4 losses and Denver would own the tiebreaker based on head to head.

If one of the other remaining wins was against Pittsburgh, Denver would be in fantastic shape in terms of playoff seeding, since they already have wins over the Bengals and Pats. 12-4 might be good enough to get a first round bye.

Chiefs x 2
Chargers x 1
Raiders x 1
Steelers
Colts

Yep, 12-4 would probably be good for a first round bye and then an invitation back to Indy

baja
10-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Most of us have never shaved our balls.

Hogan11
10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Most of us have never shaved our balls.

Can't have the pubes catch in the spandex you know

Bronco Warrior
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Damn another Bronco Warrior plagiarized thought. There should be a law...

It was said tongue in cheek but it was a weird coincidence that a day after.....! Was just a musing, and it doesn't just happen to me. I have seen alot of stuff said here and other forums by other people that later shows up in print of video. Try reading the person after me's take on it!.

Black96WS6
10-29-2009, 02:00 PM
**** no.

Stop beating around the bush Bob, say what you REALLY mean :spit:

gyldenlove
10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I just want a home game in the playoffs, Mcdaniels could ride into the stadium on a donkey with people putting down palm leaves in front of him.

Bronco Rob
10-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Stop beating around the bush Bob, say what you REALLY mean :spit:

Bob wishes he was a Broncos fan.

Bronco Bob
10-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Just don't go and win the division by 13-3, nothing good ever comes of that.
(Jacksonville, Pittsburgh)

Old Dude
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
2005 all over again.

This analogy keeps coming up. And at first, it was easy to shrug off. But I have to admit, it's bugging me more and more.

Similarities:

After 6 games, Denver was a surprise at 5-1. Plummer was playing "mistake free" ball. People were starting to call him "no mistake Jake."

Indianapolis was looking almost unbeatable. The Patriots weren't quite as scary as in previous years, but they were coming on. Pittsburgh was pretty good, but in a tough division and under the radar.

We went 13-3. Lucked out when Pitt knocked off the Colts and suddenly had HFA for the AFC Championship.

Then it all went south.

It wouldn't be quite as painful if that happened this year because expectations were lower than dirt coming in. But it would kinda still suck.

baja
10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
My view is there is no real comparison between 2005's team and now.

Josh McD's team is vastly different than a Shanahan team.

The 09 Broncos finish games and play as a team.

Soul-Bronco
10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
This analogy keeps coming up. And at first, it was easy to shrug off. But I have to admit, it's bugging me more and more.

Similarities:

After 6 games, Denver was a surprise at 5-1. Plummer was playing "mistake free" ball. People were starting to call him "no mistake Jake."

Indianapolis was looking almost unbeatable. The Patriots weren't quite as scary as in previous years, but they were coming on. Pittsburgh was pretty good, but in a tough division and under the radar.

We went 13-3. Lucked out when Pitt knocked off the Colts and suddenly had HFA for the AFC Championship.

Then it all went south.

It wouldn't be quite as painful if that happened this year because expectations were lower than dirt coming in. But it would kinda still suck.

I think the diffrence is that orton has never had the habit of making bone head plays like plummer did! Orton has always been known as taking care of the football. Plummer killed us with those picks in the AFC champ game!

Ill never forget early in the 1st or 2nd quarter, game really close big ben throws a screen to the WR and champ jumps directly infront of it, drops it. Champ makes that pick and thats a 14 point swing!

Soul-Bronco
10-29-2009, 08:47 PM
My view is there is no real comparison between 2005's team and now.

Josh McD's team is vastly different than a Shanahan team.

The 09 Broncos finish games and play as a team.

Exactly! Because of last year's crappy D, each week i never expect a big play to be made when we need one. This year is so much diffrent. Our D has come up with BIG plays in every game this year!

I dont think we ever F'ed phillis rivers like that before! Kickin him right in his bitch-ass chin! and i loved every second of it!!!

Kid A
10-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Pats didn't lose the Super Bowl because they went 16-0. They just got beat by an awesome d-line and miraculous catch.

I would like our playoff chances just as much if we were 16-0 as opposed to having a couple losses; you can learn from your mistakes without actually losing a game. Getting a shot at 19-0 (which pretty much would make you the greatest team in NFL history) would be incredible, and I would welcome Denver having a shot at it.

That said, we aren't going to get anywhere near that (an awesome 12-4 seems very doable, though). But hypothetically that's my stance on the subject.

BroncoMan4ever
10-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Pats didn't lose the Super Bowl because they went 16-0. They just got beat by an awesome d-line and miraculous catch.

I would like our playoff chances just as much if we were 16-0 as opposed to having a couple losses; you can learn from your mistakes without actually losing a game. Getting a shot at 19-0 (which pretty much would make you the greatest team in NFL history) would be incredible, and I would welcome Denver having a shot at it.

That said, we aren't going to get anywhere near that (an awesome 12-4 seems very doable, though). But hypothetically that's my stance on the subject.

i think the stress and pressure of being perfect would hurt the team. i remember when the team opened the season 13-0 and was getting talk of going undefeated, a lot of the players were happy after a loss that the pressure of being undefeated had been lifted off of their backs.

Hogan11
10-29-2009, 11:12 PM

Similarities:

Then it all went south.

The expectations were lower than dirt prior to the 2005 season as well...that 2005 team was written off and denounced (especially the "Browncos") as being subpar by nearly everyone and yet greatly exceeded all possible expectations.

That's a key reason, on top of all the others, why the 2005 analogy keeps getting trotted out. Of course this time, we all would like to see a better ending to the story than that of the 2005 team.

ton80
10-30-2009, 12:35 AM
13-3. Mark it down.

F-that. 15-1 easy. Loss to Colts in Indy.

Bronco Rob
10-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Exactly! Because of last year's crappy D, each week i never expect a big play to be made when we need one. This year is so much diffrent. Our D has come up with BIG plays in every game this year!

I dont think we ever F'ed phillis rivers like that before! Kickin him right in his b****-ass chin! and i loved every second of it!!!

:thumbsup:

gunns
10-30-2009, 05:56 AM
I don't think this is impossible. I say we may lose to the steelers and the colts. i think we can win the other games.

And out of all the games left those are the two I really want to win. My son is a huge Steelers fan and I've been hearing about this game since April, he's guaranteed a win for the Steelers (although I do think he is starting to worry). I really think we can win that one. The Colts merely because they've owned us and embarrassed us for the past 5 years. I think we can win this one too, but it is a road game and they are so iffy.

johnnyp
10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
If we can get a win this week after the bye, we have a very good chance at going undefeated!!!