PDA

View Full Version : NFL expanding to Europe?

Archer81
10-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Poll to follow...

Was watching inside the NFL, they had a segment on college football in Mexico, and a team that has won 5 straight titles. 8 of those players received invites to NFL teams for tryouts.

After the segment, the panel was talking about the NFL expanding over to London, and possibly a second European city.

I dont think that would work, but wanted to know the board's thoughts.

:Broncos:

Hogan11
10-28-2009, 11:53 PM
The only place in Europe that had any sustained interest in American football was Germany.....why the NFL seemingly insists on the UK over Deutchland is a bit of a headscratcher given the results of the whole NFL Eurpoa thing.

They're better off absorbing the CFL IMHO than going to Europe.

Kaylore
10-28-2009, 11:58 PM
I voted yes because no date was given in the question. At some point I think expanding to Europe is a great idea. I'd love to see another European league. I think first they need to create a viable minor league and then work on expanding into Canada and Mexico. Keep having games in Europe to boost interest and then eventually start developmental leagues over there. It will take time but it will happen.

Hogan11
10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
I voted yes because no date was given in the question. At some point I think expanding to Europe is a great idea. I'd love to see another European league.

Another German league you mean

Kaylore
10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Another German league you mean

Well you gotta start somewhere, and obviously Germany has the demand, but I think in time other European countries would accept a minor football league.

Killericon
10-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Put a team in Toronto and another in Mexico City first.

Atwater His Ass
10-29-2009, 02:56 AM
No way in hell.

It's already ridiculous they play regular season games in London.

UberBroncoMan
10-29-2009, 05:10 AM
**** flying and getting an upwards of 8-9 hour time shifts to play games.

If the NFL wants European teams here's an idea... MAKE A ****ING EUROPEAN NFL LEAGUE.

Oh wait... what happened to NFL Europe.

oubronco
10-29-2009, 05:19 AM
It's American football

tsiguy96
10-29-2009, 05:20 AM
forget that it is an american sport, think of the logistics involved, its ridiculous. if they want an NFL league they need to make one, just like basketball did.

The Joker
10-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I voted yes because no date was given in the question. At some point I think expanding to Europe is a great idea. I'd love to see another European league. I think first they need to create a viable minor league and then work on expanding into Canada and Mexico. Keep having games in Europe to boost interest and then eventually start developmental leagues over there. It will take time but it will happen.

Any time they've tried to set up minor leagues over here they fail.

Soccer is too popular, the majority of people in the UK view football as a crappy version of rugby, only with lots of breaks in the action and with players who are too soft to play without pads.

It's retarded, I know, but that's the view many people have.

The best young athletes are always going to end up playing soccer or rugby, or even cricket. The guys who'll take up football are the ones who basically aren't good enough to play any of those sports. Similiar to how it is in the US, people don't take up soccer unless they aren't good enough to make the football, basketball or baseball teams.

So, the minor league's over here will end up just being filled with American guys not good enough to play in the NFL. When people have the pinnacle of professional soccer available to them, what motivation is there to go and see a substandard football league?

Moving a full scale franchise to Europe is the only way that the sport has a chance to take off. People will be interested in seeing the best the sport has to offer, and if a team moved to London, for example, and did well then maybe it could take off.

I'd assume the reason that they're targetting the UK instead of Germany so much is a language thing, as much as anything.

Jens1893
10-29-2009, 06:02 AM
No, no, no and erm no.

missingnumber7
10-29-2009, 07:18 AM
The only place in Europe that had any sustained interest in American football was Germany.....why the NFL seemingly insists on the UK over Deutchland is a bit of a headscratcher given the results of the whole NFL Eurpoa thing.

And the only reason it is so popular in Germany is because of the American military presence and the number of Americans living there.

eddie mac
10-29-2009, 07:26 AM

2nd class American Football.

Who on earth wants to watch practice squad players every week because at that given time that's exactly what those players were that played in that league.

If there isn't enough interest in the UK for a franchise how come a single game in the UK in terms of revenue brings in the same money for the NFL as say 5 Bills or 5 Jags home games???

eddie mac
10-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Now if you put a franchise in Europe with Tom Brady at QB, Randy Moss at WR, Knowshon Moreno at RB, etc etc, you get the drift, you're guaranteed 100k a game for every single game. Fact and that's what the Goodell and the rest see. $$$$$

Meck77
10-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Now imagine being a season ticket holder and having a home game in Munich.

Come on man!

eddie mac
10-29-2009, 07:36 AM
A league is not the way forward. They've tried that and it did not work. No-one is going to pay $200 a game to watch some CFB bum who didn't make the 53 in Kansas City and why should they.

The NFL want a European team, with NFL stars in it, to compete in the NFL against the likes of us Broncos and that IMO is an excellent idea and it will work, because not only is there a market, there's also a stadium that holds over 100,000 already there that's only used 10-12 times the rest of the year.

eddie mac
10-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Now imagine being a season ticket holder and having a home game in Munich.

Come on man!

It would be a new franchise so why would you be buying a season ticket???

Dukes
10-29-2009, 07:38 AM
It's not fair to the players. Absolutely NOT.

eddie mac
10-29-2009, 07:46 AM
It's not fair to the players. Absolutely NOT.

Be up to them wouldn't it. Plenty of sportsmen spend the majority of the playing season away from their families.

I'd say there's quite a few NFL stars would love to live in the bright lights of London.

gyldenlove
10-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Because everything is in English there.

The CFL can't be absorbed by the NFL, the only team with any kind of hope is Toronto, the remaining teams can't raise enough money or build a big enough stadium.

gyldenlove
10-29-2009, 08:09 AM

Who on earth wants to watch practice squad players every week because at that given time that's exactly what those players were that played in that league.

If there isn't enough interest in the UK for a franchise how come a single game in the UK in terms of revenue brings in the same money for the NFL as say 5 Bills or 5 Jags home games???

How do most colleges fill their stadiums every week? they play on an even lower level than many NFL Europe teams used to.

tsiguy96
10-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Be up to them wouldn't it. Plenty of sportsmen spend the majority of the playing season away from their families.

I'd say there's quite a few NFL stars would love to live in the bright lights of London.

is it fair to the players in london to have to travel whatever amount of hours to US, changing that many time zones 8 times per year? or for teams here to go there and play them when they are in central time (or whatever) and trying to adjust to the time change while the time in london is normal for them? thats whats not fair.

Jens1893
10-29-2009, 08:20 AM
And the only reason it is so popular in Germany is because of the American military presence and the number of Americans living there.

Doubtful. I went to some games and the percentage of military personel was tiny from my impressions.

Hogan11
10-29-2009, 08:32 AM

That's a single game, which to any city without a franchsie would do very well on novelity factor alone, let's see them sustain that over a few years, especially ones with losing seasons and you'll have you're true determination.

It was stated on NFL Countdown (I believe) that the majority of players do not like playing a regular season game overseas due to the long travel....take it for what it's worth.

The CFL can't be absorbed by the NFL, the only team with any kind of hope is Toronto, the remaining teams can't raise enough money or build a big enough stadium.

I don't buy the $$$ reasoning due to the recent exchange rate bringing the loonie close to dollar value (and sometimes exceeding it). Of course places like Hamilton would be eliminated but Toronto (even though the dome is a bit too small for NFL type crowds), Montreal and Vancouver could support NFL franchises and may even be able to build new stadiums if such a merger took place.

SJ Bronco
10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
It's easy...when they are able to put an NFL franchise in hawaii, and figure out the logistics, then they can think about europe...

SonOfLe-loLang
10-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Groundwork is already there, but I think it will be a VERY VERY slow process. I sincerely doubt American football will ever be a sensation in other countries, just as soccer will never be one here. Obviously, germany has some interest, but even in countries like Sweden, there are already American football leagues (though i think most swedish people dont even realize they exist). But like others said, i think canada and mexico make more sense at this point than europe.

Bronco Boy
10-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Isn't National supposed to mean 1 nation?

Dedhed
10-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I think it's a logistical absurdity to ask players to make the trek back and forth. I can see expanding to all of NA, but Europe just seems silly to me.

Jens1893
10-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Isn't National supposed to mean 1 nation?

Like the NATIONAL hockey league (with teams in Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto and formerly in Quebec and Winnipeg) or the NATIONAL basketball association (with a team in Toronto)?

Over 50% of the NHL players have a Canadian passport, btw.

Pony Boy
10-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I say a team in Sweden

RhymesayersDU
10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to it.

What I would really like to hear about is honest opinions by players as to the travel aspect. I'm of the opinion that the travel thing isn't that big of a deal because these guys travel in private jets, plush accommodations, etc. It's not like us normal folk squeezing into a seat that is too small, being in airport hell, etc.

But, if the players have a legitimate gripe, you have to take that into account.

Mr.Meanie
10-29-2009, 04:58 PM
I would be all for it if they expanded the season to 18 regular season games and added a few new franchises.

Anything that makes the NFL bigger and more popular is a good thing, imo.

broncolife
10-29-2009, 05:04 PM
I cant believe how unfair it is for a player to have to travel to another country once a year to make millions. For how much money they make we should force them to travel to every country 10 times a year dressed like clowns singing Ice,Ice Baby,plus play the 16 games.The only unfairness would be to the team in London who would have to travel 8 times a year to another country plus it might be harder for them to recruit amercian players because of the location. But if they dish out enough money that shouldnt be a problem. But I would assume they wouldnt care about thier team having a little disadvantage if it meant having the first real NFL team outside America, not practice squad Europe.Personally I would like to see Japan.

KipCorrington25
10-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Put a team in Toronto and another in Mexico City first.

Or Los Angeles if they really want to reach the Mexican market.

RhymesayersDU
10-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Or Los Angeles if they really want to reach the Mexican market.

Ba-Zing.

atomicbloke
10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
The only way a whole NFL team can be sustained in Europe is to develop the sport on a grassroots level.

Kids need to start playing football is school. Kids have to be playing it in their backyard on weekend afternoons. It has to be grassroots movement, if the NFL has to expand to Europe.

Most people in Europe don't care about football. I used to live in the Netherlands, and everyone used to think football is a game, where fat men just beat each other up, with breaks between every brawl. I know it sounds silly, but its not different from americans thinking soccer is all about running around aimlessly.

Very few people in Europe understand football from an X's and O's perspective. The NFL won't be able to truly expand until a sizeable percentage of the population truly understand football.

Till then, they will have to be happy with one showcase game a year, that will sell out due to the novelty factor. I mean EPL pre-season soccer games in America also sell out.

eddie mac
10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
How do most colleges fill their stadiums every week? they play on an even lower level than many NFL Europe teams used to.

IMHO more to do with an identity especially linked with a school. Current pupils/friends, former ones, all adds up.

NFL Europe had no identity. It was just a bunch of players farmed out to play in a minor league each year and they rarely returned to the same team to play the following season.

Now if you start a franchise up in a major European City that is going to compete at the highest level against the top NFL opposition that's a different matter and if you get players who come here on long-term deals then that fanbase gets players who they can cheer for on a regular basis.

If there's an issue with players coming to play here long-term then that's something Goodell and the NFL have to work on to sweeten the pot for them. More money to entice them to go there, say for the first few seasons the NFL Europe team get a 20% cap increase on the rest of the league.

eddie mac
10-29-2009, 07:22 PM
is it fair to the players in london to have to travel whatever amount of hours to US, changing that many time zones 8 times per year? or for teams here to go there and play them when they are in central time (or whatever) and trying to adjust to the time change while the time in london is normal for them? thats whats not fair.

There's ways around that TSI. The European team could also have a base in the States for it's training camp which it then uses as a base for playing back-to-back road games in the US to cut down on the travelling. Scheduling can be easily adjusted for something like that, plus it would give players more time during the season in their home nation.

The European team could do 2 home games, 2 away games format.

enjolras
10-30-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm all in favor of establishing a legitimate league in Europe with the superbowl being a real 'world championship'.

Trying to work European teams into the regular NFL rotation? That seems like lunacy to me. I've heard Basketball wanting to attempt the same thing, and it just will never work.

WABronco
10-30-2009, 01:16 AM
The whole idea is just stupid. YOU DONT NEED MORE MONEY OR EXPOSURE. YOU ARE THE NFL. YOU ARE AMERICAN. STAY THAT WAY.