PDA

View Full Version : Congress meddling in NFL affairs

ZONA
10-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Congress really going after Goodell about head trauma in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4601966

I'm not sure what more the NFL can do. They try better helmets, enforce rules where you cannot strike another player with your head or to their head, and doctors do a much better job in evaluating head injuries. I'm not sure what material the congress has other then the older players with lasting head trauma due to the game 15 and 20 years ago. I hope they don't go trying to turn this into flag football, as one person in the article says.

DenverBound
10-28-2009, 11:52 PM
They just can't get over the fact the the NFL leaves it up to the owners and the players to take care of retiree's. The only reason they really care is so that they have a reason to dip their grimy hands in to the NFL's pockets. Basically using old school mob tactics. It's sick.

Killericon
10-29-2009, 12:05 AM
It's the most violent(in terms of sudden impacts) sport on the planet...What do people expect?

tsiguy96
10-29-2009, 12:15 AM
the NFL should take care of past players, however you cant say that that is exactly what will happen to players playing today. the players today take better care of their bodies, have far better medical care, better equipment and safer rules.

R8R H8R
10-29-2009, 12:25 AM
I think Congress should investigate Congress about severe head trauma in Congress.

Taco John
10-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Sounds like the helmet lobby found a couple of takers.

R8R H8R
10-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Sounds like the helmet lobby found a couple of takers.

The whores.

Archer81
10-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Congress meddles? NO WAY...another thing that makes money...lets put ridiculous regulation on it and kill the NFL too.

:Broncos:

Kaylore
10-29-2009, 12:51 AM
With the recession, no movement on health care, Afghanistan melting down, and Obama doing nothing but TV appearances and throwing parties, I'm very glad that congress is taking the time and money to focus on this. It's clearly a top priority.

Archer81
10-29-2009, 12:53 AM
With the recession, no movement on health care, Afghanistan melting down, and Obama doing nothing but TV appearances and throwing parties, I'm very glad that congress is taking the time and money to focus on this. It's clearly a top priority.

Hmm...I could swear you were being sarcastic here...

Taco John
10-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Apparently, congress thinks that the NFL players union is a bunch of blubbering idiots who are too stupid to look out for their own interests.

Blart
10-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Isn't boxing worse than the NFL?

Killericon
10-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Isn't boxing worse than the NFL?

It's harder to defend the violence in football, because people saying hard hits are "part of the game", unlike boxing, where it is the game.

enjolras
10-29-2009, 01:41 AM
The NFL operates under an anti-trust exemption. Congress is supposed to provide some level of oversight...

It seems to me that there are really legitimate questions to be asked. Can the NFL better police performance enhancing drugs (as players get bigger, stronger, and faster the severity of the impacts increases). What can the NFL do to ensure that retired players are taken care of, particularly players who had early career ending injuries?

That sort of thing. I have no problem with them asking those questions.

fdf
10-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Congress really going after Goodell about head trauma in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4601966

I'm not sure what more the NFL can do. They try better helmets, enforce rules where you cannot strike another player with your head or to their head, and doctors do a much better job in evaluating head injuries. I'm not sure what material the congress has other then the older players with lasting head trauma due to the game 15 and 20 years ago. I hope they don't go trying to turn this into flag football, as one person in the article says.

Congress has pretty much been meddling in everything. They now own GM and half our banks. Why not football?

Garcia Bronco
10-29-2009, 03:39 AM
Lol. The NFL doesn't violate the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. More mob tactics. These players make a decision to play. It's not the NFL's responsibilty.

lazarus4444
10-29-2009, 03:44 AM
The NFL lost an anti-trust suit against the USFL in the 80's.

UberBroncoMan
10-29-2009, 05:47 AM
I think Congress should investigate Congress about severe head trauma in Congress.

This ^

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Many years ago, Congress GAVE the league a tax exemption on it's TV revenue and an exemption from some anti-trust laws.
That's why the league runs so well, while other major sports are run like a joke.

The NFL really did make a deal with the devil, so now ... :(

(If anyone knows more "detail" please feel free to correct me!) ;)

Rock Chalk
10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
What's funny is people seem to think government should not get involved in the NFL but I wonder how many of them realize that BECAUSE of government, we have the forward pass, and rules were instituted to make the game safer for everyone?

Prior to government involvement, there was no forward pass and many many people died in "mass plays" where it was more akin to Rugby than it is to modern football. Roosevelt told the guys at the Ivy league schools to clean it up.

Walter Camp originally wanted to widen the field and he detested the forward pass but in the end, it was decided to add the forward pass to stop the mass plays. Walter Camps idea of widening the field was exported to Canada (but again, so was the forward pass). This innovation is a direct result of government getting involved and making it a safer game for people to play.

The head trauma thing is a valid concern and any sport that involves people being "disabled" or in some way physically damaged for the rest of their life needs to be investigated by government. Perhaps, similar to over a century ago, government involvement may lead to an innovation that makes the game safer AND more enjoyable to the fans?

Paladin
10-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Stop being so damm logical. It upsets the know-it-alls......

Dukes
10-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Congress meddles? NO WAY...another thing that makes money...lets put ridiculous regulation on it and kill the NFL too.

That's what they are best at.