PDA

View Full Version : Griese Suspended by ESPN

Rohirrim
10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese has been suspended one week for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/27/bob-griese-suspended-for-_n_335070.html

During ESPN's broadcast of the Minnesota-Ohio State game Saturday, a graphic was shown listing the top five drivers in NASCAR's points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian.

Griese replied he was "out having a taco."

Rohirrim
10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't think they eat tacos in Columbia.

Man-Goblin
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
He should have said he was "out harvesting coca leaves".

bronco militia
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM

close enough

:giggle:

WolfpackGuy
10-28-2009, 11:01 AM
The wily Pink Taco

Rohirrim
10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
The national dish of Columbia seems to be a type of potato soup:

Ajiaco is a Colombian potato soup. Although several regions of Colombia have their distinct recipe, the most famous is ajiaco santafereño, named after Santa Fé de Bogotá, the capital of Colombia, where it is a cultural mainstay. It typically contains pieces of chicken, large chunks of corn on the cob, two or three kinds of native potatoes (tiny papas criollas that fall apart and thicken the soup, and give the soup its characteristic dark yellow color; the waxy sabanera and/or the soft pastusa), and guasca (Galinsoga parviflora), a weedy, aromatic herb common in all America that lends the dish part of its distinctive flavour.

The soup is typically served with heavy cream, capers and avocado, all mixed in just before eating in the proportions each individual prefers. Ajiaco is so heavy that it is usually considered a full meal. In the highly regional Colombian cuisine, this is most representative dish of Bogotá. (wiki)

Sounds pretty good. ;D

Hotrod
10-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Thats ****ing awesome. Ha!

Rohirrim
10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
He wouldn't have gotten into any trouble if he'd just said, "Probably out eating potato soup." ;D

jhns
10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I heard the clip of him saying that this morning. It sounded like they had practiced it because the other guy delivered the "where is he" line like he was setting it up. The radio guys also made fun of the taco thing and their suggestion was that he should have said coke instead.

SureShot
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Haha!

atomicbloke
10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Does anyone else feel this is going too far?

TheDave
10-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Boy we've become a sensitive bunch...

Dukes
10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
If only someone like Limbaugh had said this, then everyone would really be upset.

TDmvp
10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
http://sioe.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-correctness_puppet.jpg

SportinOne
10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
If only someone like Limbaugh had said this, then everyone would really be upset.

partially true, but the man is just an awful human being. most ego maniacs are.

bronco militia
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Political correctness: The delusion that one can pick up a turd by the 'clean end.'

bronco militia
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM

from the looks of this thread that might only be you

congrats!

Kaylore
10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
That's stupid. A comment like that isn't bad at all. Are you telling me that Hispanic people are offended at the idea that people think they eat tacos? When I was in Korea they made fun of how all we eat is bread, milk and cheese. And I didn't care.

Que
10-28-2009, 11:39 AM
He could have said, "out necklacing innocent civilians". Oh wait, that's Haiti.

Actually, all kidding aside, what a total idiot.

bronco militia
10-28-2009, 11:39 AM
That's stupid. A comment like that isn't bad at all. Are you telling me that Hispanic people are offended at the idea that people think they eat tacos? When I was in Korea they made fun of how all we eat is bread, milk and cheese. And I didn't care.

what?!?! no crackers?!?! :D

ludo21
10-28-2009, 11:40 AM
that'll teach Griese a lesson!!

How dare he suggest people eat tacos.

Rohirrim
10-28-2009, 11:40 AM

And they eat **** that's been buried for a couple of months. ugh!~

Pony Boy
10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Now if he would of said I bet Sanchez wishes that was a Taco instead of a hotdog when he was caught eating at the end of the Raders game........ we would have a problem :wiggle:

Kaylore
10-28-2009, 11:44 AM
And they eat **** that's been buried for a couple of months. ugh!~

No one buries their kimchi anymore. And it is delicious! But don't you dare suggest that a Korean eats kimchi and rice! That's racist!

SureShot
10-28-2009, 11:47 AM

Rock Chalk
10-28-2009, 11:52 AM

No they just do coke.

azbroncfan
10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
This racism deal is a joke. If it was Brad Daugherty or some other minority that said it it wouldn't be a big deal. What a sensitive bunch of pu##ies we have become as a society here in America.

Rohirrim
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
No one buries their kimchi anymore. And it is delicious! But don't you dare suggest that a Korean eats kimchi and rice! That's racist!

Just as long as they don't breathe on me. ;D

ak1971
10-28-2009, 12:11 PM
what happens if was actually driving down to Taco Bell for some dollar menu goodness?

ak1971
10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

shut up..shouldnt you be hoarding food or something

TexanBob
10-28-2009, 12:13 PM
But I could swear Taco Bell is one of the sponsors of Disney's college football broadcasts, so if saying a race car driver eating a taco is racist then isn't one of the broadcasts's own sponsors racist? Not to mention, Taco Bell is now promoting like crazy the BLACK TACO which, I guess by liberal logic, is doubly racist - particularly if the BLACK TACO might contain fried chicken or watermelon.

Griese wasn't sharp enough to tie his Montoya comment to Taco Bell or he could have slyly gotten out of it.

Now, who was that Golf Channel chick who made the crack about other golfers wanting to lynch Tiger Woods? She got to keep her job so I think Griese is on firm footing as long as he hasn't started an extra-marital affair with a chubby ESPN staffer like Steve Phillips did.

Que
10-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Ya man, burying you kimchi is so 1980's.... Sort of like soaking your confit for 7 days. Just isn't done anymore. ;)

loborugger
10-28-2009, 12:24 PM

No, they dont eat many tacos in Colombia.

Spider
10-28-2009, 12:42 PM
why in the hell is ESPN talking about Nascar ?
Hello lets get back to sports on a sports network .......... Friggen NSACAR
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks ...........

Bronx33
10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
http://sioe.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-correctness_puppet.jpg

this..

dbfan4life
10-28-2009, 12:49 PM
It's funny when you're shootin' the breeze with your friends. It stops being funny...wait it's still funny!

Bronx33
10-28-2009, 01:01 PM

Its mostly the networks covering their asses.

Bronco Warrior
10-28-2009, 01:17 PM
The whole political correctness is out of control! Fag comments and suggesting a peron of Latino decent might be out eating a taco? Child Please!

As for Kimchi, that's good ****...lol! Had some yesterday..finished the bottle :(

Bronco Warrior
10-28-2009, 01:19 PM
You can't even buy cheese in Korea unless it's at a PX or blackmarket! Atleast when I was there. Had to have cheese mailed to me! And deoderant. Not being mean they just don't need or use it :D

TheReverend
10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Unless instead of "suspended" they meant "promoted" ESPN has their priorities all messed up...

TheReverend
10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Brb, eating sauerkraut... (and I'm serious)

Crushaholic
10-28-2009, 01:34 PM
He wouldn't have gotten into any trouble if he'd just said, "Probably out eating potato soup." ;D

I'm part Irish. I'm partially offended by that comment! :P:P

SureShot
10-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Brb, eating sauerkraut... (and I'm serious)

http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/german.jpg

TheReverend
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
[IMG]http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/german.jpg[IMG]

brb, buying that outfit

Beantown Bronco
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm part Irish.

only from the waist-down.

Bronco Warrior
10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
only from the waist-down.

So small green and alchoholic? lmao! And smuggling a bomb? lol!

NYBronco
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
What if... all this so called racism has nothing to do with racism?

hambone13
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Sure is....I get it in bulk at the Han market.....soil free.

Bronco Warrior
10-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Kimchi is the reason a quote of mine became famous in certain circles: " You know you're in Korea, when something somebody in the next room is about to eat, makes you think that the person next to you just farted!" Kimchi and Denjong smell the same going in as they do going out! LMAO!!

Bronco Warrior
10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
And they still bury it in Korea! :P

Que
10-28-2009, 05:02 PM
http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/german.jpg

You have to love that outfit. I mean, it is 100% made for power drinking and eating. Loose, big shirt, have your "home for money, smokes, phone, condom" located mid chest. Brown baggy shorts. Love it. The one thing that is missing is a fly though. Seems like you would have to unhook a suspender to take a piss which we all know is difficult when you are doing that off of a balcony or out of a moving vehicle. Maybe you just snake it out of the baggy shorts. Inquiring minds need to know.

Circle Orange
10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
He should have said he was "out harvesting coca leaves".

I was thinking a cup of coffee.

Maybe Griese should have a piece of white bread in penance. ROFL!

mizzoutigers
10-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm so tired of this crap, give me a break. this would have been a non-issue 20 years ago, this country has went to crap

oubronco
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
was it hairy?

JPEZ
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Thats ****ing awesome. Ha!

I'm a Spanish guy and I don't like tacos! ;D I like chicken!

Mr. Elway
10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I have a slightly different take on this. I don't think the country is going to hell in a handbasket. Most people in America don't care if someone cracks a taco joke, or even something a little more off-color. It's really the media that is so sensitive to the issue - and it's because the modern media gives a huge voice to a small minority of people who shout the loudest.

It's like the whole "War on Christmas." There are probably two people in America who are offended by Christmas decorations. But because their voices are heard through media channels, the schools and cities feel they have to listen, and they overreact. Then Bill O'Reilly overreacts, and suddenly it's a "war." In reality it's two nut jobs vs Bill O'Reilly and everyone one else just wants to enjoy Christmas.

The media makes money from broadcasting shocking stories. It creates a whole lot of hullabaloo that's not really much like real life. They make a lot of money from it, and I just try not to pay too much attention to it.

SJ Bronco
10-28-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a slightly different take on this. I don't think the country is going to hell in a handbasket. Most people in America don't care if someone cracks a taco joke, or even something a little more off-color. It's really the media that is so sensitive to the issue - and it's because the modern media gives a huge voice to a small minority of people who shout the loudest.

It's like the whole "War on Christmas." There are probably two people in America who are offended by Christmas decorations. But because their voices are heard through media channels, the schools and cities feel they have to listen, and they overreact. Then Bill O'Reilly overreacts, and suddenly it's a "war." In reality it's two nut jobs vs Bill O'Reilly and everyone one else just wants to enjoy Christmas.

The media makes money from broadcasting shocking stories. It creates a whole lot of hullabaloo that's not really much like real life. They make a lot of money from it, and I just try not to pay too much attention to it.

I'm a bleeding heart commie liberal that hates bob with a passion and even I think this is way overblown.

McDman
10-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Kimchi is the reason a quote of mine became famous in certain circles: " You know you're in Korea, when something somebody in the next room is about to eat, makes you think that the person next to you just farted!" Kimchi and Denjong smell the same going in as they do going out! LMAO!!

How did that quote become famous?

http://bogieworks.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c581e53ef010536bbe3df970b-800wi

SJ Bronco
10-28-2009, 10:47 PM
How did that quote become famous?

http://bogieworks.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c581e53ef010536bbe3df970b-800wi

I didn't even catch that self plug...Jiminy Crickets! Seriously, is he trying to get us back on him?

Circle Orange
10-28-2009, 10:54 PM
But I could swear Taco Bell is one of the sponsors of Disney's college football broadcasts, so if saying a race car driver eating a taco is racist then isn't one of the broadcasts's own sponsors racist? Not to mention, Taco Bell is now promoting like crazy the BLACK TACO which, I guess by liberal logic, is doubly racist - particularly if the BLACK TACO might contain fried chicken or watermelon.

Griese wasn't sharp enough to tie his Montoya comment to Taco Bell or he could have slyly gotten out of it.

Now, who was that Golf Channel chick who made the crack about other golfers wanting to lynch Tiger Woods? She got to keep her job so I think Griese is on firm footing as long as he hasn't started an extra-marital affair with a chubby ESPN staffer like Steve Phillips did.

Yah, but the black taco ad don't have no black people...just vanilla white. So's either they get black people, or Griese has to "pay" by eating black stuff for a week. Say, ten pounds of licorice with Good n' Plenty. An' five loaves of burned toast.

BTW, that black taco is rilly dark blue. Just sayin.' ;)

Cleo McDowell
10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
You can't even buy cheese in Korea unless it's at a PX or blackmarket! Atleast when I was there. Had to have cheese mailed to me! And deoderant. Not being mean they just don't need or use it :D

glad you can enjoy the kimchi. but you can buy cheese is in EVERY supermarket here. When were you here, 1960?

We also have a number of restaraunts throughout the city that serve grilled beef patties with cheese melted on top in between two seasame seed buns. on the menu they also offer fried sliced frozen potato strips and partially gelatinated soft drinks in a few diferent flavors--served within minutes of ordering!

SJ Bronco
10-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Yah, but the black taco ad don't have no black people...just vanilla white. So's either they get black people, or Griese has to "pay" by eating black stuff for a week. Say, ten pounds of licorice with Good n' Plenty. An' five loaves of burned toast.

BTW, that black taco is rilly dark blue. Just sayin.' ;)

Black taco is delicious...I had a few in my younger years

Circle Orange
10-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Black taco is delicious...I had a few in my younger years

Oh, definitely tasty. In fact, you can get that blue "black" corn in the form of chips. I get 'em by the bag at about $3.99 a pop. Slightly crunchier than regular corn chips. They're pretty big, too, about three inch triangle size.

In this area you can also get "orange" corn chips that have tomato in them. Same price, 3.99...you pay for the flava.

baja
10-28-2009, 11:35 PM
The wily Pink Taco

There not pink in Columbia

baja
10-28-2009, 11:39 PM

I am soooo insulted by that remark.Oh wait I'm white.

broncocalijohn
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm so tired of this crap, give me a break. this would have been a non-issue 20 years ago, this country has went to crap

so that would be before tampa Bay got those 3 black QBs you didnt care for? :giggle:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2573166#post2573166

broncocalijohn
10-28-2009, 11:55 PM

I WOULD totally look up this quote to see who really said it but I have a sneaky suspicion that nobody ever said it now, then or in the future except BW. What "circle" is actually saying this? BTW: were you on a Mormon mission to know this type of food? Not sure how many Korean restuarants there are in So. Utah or whatever part of Utah u r from....forgot lol!

RMT
10-29-2009, 12:23 AM
what's most disturbing about this is that if it were a minority making some crack about whites, little (if anything) would have been done to the individual. the double standard of political correctedness is what's most disgusting.

Cleo McDowell
10-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Oh, definitely tasty. In fact, you can get that blue "black" corn in the form of chips. I get 'em by the bag at about $3.99 a pop. Slightly crunchier than regular corn chips. They're pretty big, too, about three inch triangle size.

In this area you can also get "orange" corn chips that have tomato in them. Same price, 3.99...you pay for the flava.

i think you may have missed the point SJ was making. either that or.. nevermind.

TexanBob
10-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Wouldn't a pink taco be considered racist and homophobic?

RMT
10-29-2009, 02:23 AM
* sarcasm on * - this should offend all of us white crackers * sarcasm off *

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRK5rU1ZPJc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRK5rU1ZPJc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

UberBroncoMan
10-29-2009, 04:39 AM
God how pathetic we've become. ****ing pussies.

barryr
10-29-2009, 06:30 AM
I knew it. I was watching that game and when he said that, I just knew he was going to be in trouble. The other 2 announcers, Chris Spielman being one of them, quickly changed the subject after he said that. Memo to Griese: just make fun about Christianity or something like that and you'll be fine.

The Moops
10-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I always find those promotions during a game awkward for broadcasters. Griese was trying to be funny. He wasn't thinking and it cost him.

I thought he was smarter than that.

AlphaOmega
10-29-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm a Spanish guy and I don't like tacos! ;D I like chicken!

I thought you were Portuguese? Wow! :P

RMT
10-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I knew it. I was watching that game and when he said that, I just knew he was going to be in trouble. The other 2 announcers, Chris Spielman being one of them, quickly changed the subject after he said that. Memo to Griese: just make fun about Christianity or something like that and you'll be fine.

great point about Christianity - for all of our political correctedness, Christianity is the one arena where political correctedness is the exception. that's a travesty. if we're going to apply a standard such as political correctedness, it should be applied to all. it's just a major and disgusting double standard.

NFLBRONCO
10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Today's world is super touchy I say. No wonder worlds problems never get solved if every little thing that comes out of someone's mouth bothers someone.

Hogan11
10-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Another gem for the Racemen

Archer81
10-29-2009, 11:52 PM
What if the guy really went out for a taco?

:Broncos:

RMT
10-30-2009, 12:07 AM
What if the guy really went out for a taco?

:Broncos:

to heighten the irony of the situation - the guy actually did go out for a taco today and posted it on his twitter page today ... at least he sees the humor in the situation.

ShutDownPoster
10-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Someone say TACO?
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Speedy-Gonzales-warner-brothers-animation-71819_1024_768.jpg

Circle Orange
10-30-2009, 08:03 PM
i think you may have missed the point SJ was making. either that or.. nevermind.

the perils of the internet, I suppose. ;D

Circle Orange
10-30-2009, 08:04 PM
* sarcasm on * - this should offend all of us white crackers * sarcasm off *

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRK5rU1ZPJc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRK5rU1ZPJc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL at tacos and crackers. No cheese? ;D

RMT
10-30-2009, 08:11 PM
nothing like getting a Griese taco, eh?

Bronco Warrior
10-30-2009, 09:19 PM
The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.orangemane.com/BB/ /><st1:State w:st=<st1:place w:st="on">Chihuahua</st1:place></st1:State> from the Taco Bell commercials is rolling over in her little grave right now! (She died a few months ago :( )