PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh's Ryan Clark Faces Health Risk In Denver

listopencil
10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Mile High Poses Serious Risk for Steelers' Ryan Clark

Posted Oct 27, 2009 7:47AM By JJ Cooper

Filed Under: Steelers, AFC North

The last time Ryan Clark played football in Denver, it nearly killed him.

Clark's sickle-cell disease meant that his blood attacked his gall bladder and spleen forcing Clark to have both removed and sidelining him for the remainder of the 2007 season. He lost more than 30 pounds and needed months to recover.

So now he has to decide if he's willing to risk playing in the thin air of Denver two weeks from now. It's a big game for the Steelers, but Clark, understandably, is only going to play if doctors can give him a clean bill of health. Right now, it's hard to say which way Clark is going to decide. He's run as many tests as can be run. Doctors have poked and prodded him. But it appears that no one can tell him for sure that Clark won't have another bad reaction to the altitude.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/27/ryan-clark-has-to-decide-if-he-can-handle-mile-high/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

SureShot
10-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Clark's sickle-cell disease meant that his blood attacked his gall bladder and spleen forcing Clark to have both removed and sidelining him for the remainder of the 2007 season. He lost more than 30 pounds and needed months to recover.

So now he has to decide if he's willing to risk playing in the thin air of Denver two weeks from now. It's a big game for the Steelers, but Clark, understandably, is only going to play if doctors can give him a clean bill of health. Right now, it's hard to say which way Clark is going to decide. He's run as many tests as can be run. Doctors have poked and prodded him. But it appears that no one can tell him for sure that Clark won't have another bad reaction to the altitude.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/27/ryan-clark-has-to-decide-if-he-can-handle-mile-high/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Another reason its only fair that the stadium should be dug up and moved.

DenverBound
10-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Pussy.

cutthemdown
10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
It poses risks period now. I love it. Teams no longer look forward to padding there stats vs our defense.

Now defenders making up stories to try and avoid playing our potent offense.

Welcome to Mile High, Where's your next breath coming from?

DenverBound
10-27-2009, 04:55 PM
It poses risks period now. I love it. Teams no longer look forward to padding there stats vs our defense.

Now defenders making up stories to try and avoid playing our potent offense.

Welcome to Mile High, Where's your next breath coming from?

I would TM that ish if I we're you... quickly.

cutthemdown
10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I would TM that ish if I we're you... quickly.

It's not original. Some old dude back in the 70's used to hold that up, or something really close to it as the visitors came out onto the field.

Any other old timers remember this? I'm sure I heard or saw that somewhere and did not make it up.

If I did though its on record here in Tacos archives for my atty to use in court.

cutthemdown
10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
p***Y.

I would trade mark that **** asap. Hilarious!

Bronco Bob
10-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Move it to Holly?

Bronco Warrior
10-27-2009, 06:23 PM
My first game at Mile High in 76 I saw that..lol..almost forgot about that saying..that rocks!!

Bronco Warrior
10-27-2009, 06:25 PM
It's like the motto I made up for Utah.. Welcome to SLC, where's your next Breast coming from!

DenverBound
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
It's like the motto I made up for Utah.. Welcome to SLC, where's your next Breast coming from!

Please stop.

BroncoBuff
10-27-2009, 07:17 PM
This crap again?

Just deactivate the guy, leave him home, stop crying and play ball.

Sheesh.

theAPAOps5
10-27-2009, 07:25 PM

I am guessing you are laughed at a lot in life. Even by those hookers paid to act interested in you at your VFW rock shows!

HEAV
10-27-2009, 08:27 PM
There was a write up in the local rag about this.

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark isn’t injured, yet he isn’t sure if he can play in the team’s next game Nov. 9 at Denver.

Clark didn’t play the rest of the 2007 season after becoming ill following an Oct. 21 game in Denver. He was hospitalized overnight in Denver, and his condition worsened after he returned to Pittsburgh.

Clark’s spleen and gall bladder eventually were removed, and he lost more than 30 pounds before finally regaining his strength about three months later. Doctors told him his sickle-cell trait was aggravated by the high altitude in Denver and caused a serious blood disorder.

Clark plans to accompany the Steelers to Denver for the Monday night game, but isn’t certain if he will be in uniform. He plans to talk to doctors during the Steelers’ bye week and again next week, if necessary.

‘‘We’ll figure it out. We haven’t figured it out yet,’’ Clark said. ‘‘We don’t know yet.’’

Clark also had problems playing in Denver while he was with the Redskins in 2005. He was diagnosed then with a bruised spleen, but the severity of his condition wasn’t known until he played again in Denver.

Since returning last season, Clark has missed only two games and has not experienced a relapse of his problem, which caused blood vessels to burst and his spleen to become infected before it was removed in mid-November 2007. His gall bladder was taken out a few weeks after that, and his weight dropped from 205 pounds to about 175.

Clark couldn’t resume working out and trying to get back into playing condition until January 2008 after the season ended.

Clark said previously he wouldn’t play in Denver again unless he was certain there would be no medical problems if he did. He has undergone extensive testing during the last two years, receives six injections a year and treats any infection carefully.

During training camp this summer, Clark joked he might play suit up ‘‘there’s nothing left they can take out of me’’ if he goes ahead and plays.

After Clark came back last season, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu said, ‘‘It’s pretty much a miracle he’s out there.’’

Last year, Clark said the Steelers’ medical staff initially questioned not long after that game in Denver why he wasn’t playing. It wasn’t until he received a second opinion from a different physician that his condition was properly diagnosed and treated.

----------

As far has him playing or not...you always want to beat a team at full strength so no one can say "Well you won because (enter excuse). That said this is about his health. If he wants to sitout fine.

But if he does play he could be thinking about the past every play and could be a liability to the Steelers...hmmmmmm

McDman
10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Please stop.

Hahahahaha, that had me rolling.

ZONA
10-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Maybe they can put one of these on the sideline for him and he can watch the game through the glass.

https://www.mercycare.org/imgs/ewebeditor/HyperbaricChamberInfo.jpg

UberBroncoMan
10-27-2009, 11:22 PM

LOL, did you get that from the ESPN forums? Someone actually made a post saying we should do that because it wasn't fair.

ZONA
10-27-2009, 11:39 PM
LOL, did you get that from the ESPN forums? Someone actually made a post saying we should do that because it wasn't fair.

Pretty sure. There was a post going around about this a few weeks ago.

s0phr0syne
10-28-2009, 06:54 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the ENTIRE pittsburgh team should consider it a health risk to be coming to Mile High this year to play Denver.

:strong::strong::strong:

Mr.Meanie
10-28-2009, 07:46 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I honestly thought it was because of Marshall coming over the middle

Beantown Bronco
10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I honestly thought it was because of Marshall coming over the middle

....or he also wasn't on good terms with the guy that shot Joey Porter in the butt the last time he hung out in Denver.

Pick Six
10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
He doesn't have to play if it poses a personal health risk.

I might as well get it going early...

Pittsburgh's 3rd string: 245
Denver: 12