PDA

View Full Version : OT: watch this.

baja
10-27-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

Rock Chalk
10-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Bye week is over asshole get it off the main forum.

Conklin
10-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Bye week is over a-hole get it off the main forum.

we have to wednesday, you don't have to be an ass cuz the jayhawks have lost two in a row

BMarsh615
10-27-2009, 03:43 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e107/nitr/msgraphics/3ad7c2ebb96fcba7cda0cf54a2e802f5.gif (http://www.myspace-graphics.com/omg-onoz_i1060.html)

baja
10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Bye week is over a-hole get it off the main forum.

Today is the last day If you don't like it don't watch it.

In fact let me save you some time <b>don't watch it,</b> if I know you will hate it.

TheReverend
10-27-2009, 03:49 PM
1:33 minutes of hippy agenda...

Impending crisis will force an environmental solution when necessary baja. We're gonna let all the foreigners die off before we fix the planet though.

baja
10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Ya ignore the science just give me more of you butt yucking a lobster.

SureShot
10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I will just let me throw some more coal on the fire. Its damn cold here!

broncocalijohn
10-27-2009, 03:53 PM
1:33 is what i saw and figured, do I want to watch something for 1 1/2 hours or post on the mane. I choose the later. I am going the route of "We arent failing the Earth, the Earth is failing us."

TheReverend
10-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Ya ignore the science just give me more of you butt * * * *.ing a lobster.

In no way shape or form does that ignore science in any way.

In fact, it's extremely supported by science that crisis is the mother of invention, and it's evolutionary to think that if we can't adapt to our changing environment then we don't deserve to live.

As for the global warming... we KNOW for a fact that global climate is cyclical, we don't know for a fact that pollution affects it. That's not down-playing the MANY negative effects pollution has on the planet.

Anyways, I'm just expressing my confidence in humanity to solve the problem before it hits a crisis level.

In all honesty, I do think it's semi-admirable of you to parrot the cause and even made drastic life changes to try and make a positive impact.

Personally, I'm not sure how it could be the US's responsibility to baby-sit ever other society on the planet and ensure they have food/clean drinking water/medicine etc, when their own leaders are generally more concerned about drug trade/diamonds/civil war/genocide/religious fundamentalism and more than providing their own people with a decent infrastructure.

TheReverend
10-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Wait... what are you getting cranky at me for?

Have you watched the whole thing?

At 1:20 it gets INSANELY optimistic and complimentary of human's efforts...

SureShot
10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Poor Baja.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7OHG7tHrNM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7OHG7tHrNM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Greybeard
10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Wait... what are you getting cranky at me for?

Have you watched the whole thing?

At 1:20 it gets INSANELY optimistic and complimentary of human's efforts...

Baja simply has had a burr under his tail recently . . .

-----

anon
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Our gov't is in many ways just as corrupt, depending on one's point of view. The "corruption" or obvious self-interest or whatever you want to call it is just wrapped in more palatable and politically correct packages. I suppose it's much easier to get righteous over "blood diamonds" than a former CEO of a defense corporation giving his old employer a big contract in a war that his administration started on false information, or the shameless ebb and flow of senior advisors between Wall Street and the Department of Treasury, or between industrial agriculture/big pharma and the FDA.

In some ways, our type of corruption is worse in that it appears to be systemic, can be difficult to define, and therefore difficult to stamp out.

bowtown
10-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Jay Cutler's fault.

UberBroncoMan
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh no it's the end of the world! ZOMG!

This **** it stupid.

Typical hippy ****.

ZOMG we cause global warming?!?! ****ers don't take into account that other planets like Venus and Mars have also increased in global temperature due to the ****ING SUN. There's forces outside of this planet that can increase its temperature. The concept of global warming and getting so obsessive about it is just nothing more than a power play to push philosophical initiatives.

Humans think they're more powerful than they really are. So many with a "god" complex it's hilarious.

Should we try to be more clean in our daily lives, sure. Why shouldn't we? But, should we be overreacting idiots about it... NO!

TWELVE modern day Nuclear Power Planets could power the entire continental United States. The rods aren't even that big and could easily be stored in a safe facility that keeps the harmful radiation away from other humans, animals, nature etc.

Too bad we have so many tree hugging pussies in powerful places that would rather go for the vastly more inefficient and expensive rout.

A ton of this video is nothing more than a scare tactic and just another example of how pathetic the human race is.

TheReverend
10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Our gov't is in many ways just as corrupt, depending on one's point of view. The "corruption" or obvious self-interest or whatever you want to call it is just wrapped in more palatable and politically correct packages. I suppose it's much easier to get righteous over "blood diamonds" than a former CEO of a defense corporation giving his old employer a big contract in a war that his administration started on false information, or the shameless ebb and flow of senior advisors between Wall Street and the Department of Treasury, or between industrial agriculture/big pharma and the FDA.

In some ways, our type of corruption is worse in that it appears to be systemic, can be difficult to define, and therefore difficult to stamp out.

I completely disagree with everything you've said.

Our corruption can't be worse considering the standard of living supplied to the people. If we were in a situation where clean drinking water was an epidemic in this nation, there would be hell to pay. We're not beaten down by corruption to the point where we're being gunned down by the government for criticism like is common practice is other places... so how you can claim that in some ways our corruption is worse is beyond me.

As for the war, this video makes the claim that it's the responsibility of the priviledged to assist creating a solid infrastructure for the less priviledged. Whether you feel the pretense for going to war was correct or not, that's exactly what has happened and is still happening. A genocidal dictator deposed and significant improvements in their sewage, water, electricity, etc.

dbfan4life
10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
At least by reading this thread first I know I have zero desire to watch. Thanks.

baja
10-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Many claim an opinion about it

Did anybody actually watch it?

It's your home too.

anon
10-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I completely disagree with everything you've said.

Our corruption can't be worse considering the standard of living supplied to the people. If we were in a situation where clean drinking water was an epidemic in this nation, there would be hell to pay. We're not beaten down by corruption to the point where we're being gunned down by the government for criticism like is common practice is other places... so how you can claim that in some ways our corruption is worse is beyond me.

As for the war, this video makes the claim that it's the responsibility of the priviledged to assist creating a solid infrastructure for the less priviledged. Whether you feel the pretense for going to war was correct or not, that's exactly what has happened and is still happening. A genocidal dictator deposed and significant improvements in their sewage, water, electricity, etc.

I only meant that it is a tougher kind of corruption to deal with, in that it's not as obvious as say, an official taking bribes, which is relatively easy to identify and stamp out. Comparing the standard of living in the richest country in the world to Third World countries that are just coming out of decades of civil warfare is really apples and oranges. Those countries have a different set of problems and we have ours. The fact is that throughout our history, there has existed a tension between what's good for industry and what's good for the public and those needs are often not aligned.

As for Iraq, Afghanistan, I agree on "what's done is done" and now we just have to figure out the best path. However, the fact remains that we went to war in Iraq over false information. You can argue that we ended up deposing a cruel dictator -- absolutely true. But there are many, many places where we could exercise our military might to improve the lives of others, but I don't think any of us are naive enough to believe that is ever the primary reason the U.S. takes to arms. To me, it's just a rationalization, a good one, but a rationalization and rather disingenuous.

As for "hell to pay," call me cynical, but I'm not really seeing it. How many times have the taxpayers had to bail out the financial industry in recent decades? But the industry up until now has been consistently deregulated. And even after this recent disaster, it's still not entirely clear if regulators are going to have more power or oversight.

baja
10-27-2009, 04:54 PM
What would be the deference between a good rationalization and a bad one.

TheReverend
10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I only meant that it is a tougher kind of corruption to deal with, in that it's not as obvious as say, an official taking bribes, which is relatively easy to identify and stamp out. Comparing the standard of living of the richest country in the world to Third World countries that are just coming out of decades of civil warfare is really apples and oranges. Those countries have a different set of problems and we have ours. The fact is that throughout our history, there has existed a tension between what's good for industry and what's good for the public and those needs are often not aligned.

As for Iraq, Afghanistan, I agree on "what's done is done" and now we just have to figure out the best path. However, the fact remains that we went to war in Iraq over false information. You can argue that we ended up deposing a cruel dictator -- absolutely true. But there are many, many places where we could exercise our military might to improve the lives of others, but I don't think any of us are naive enough to believe that is ever the primary reason the U.S. takes to arms. To me, it's just a rationalization, a good one, but a rationalization and rather disingenuous.

A lot more clear and agree-able here. I am genuinely curious why an honest approach wasn't taken with the American people. I think if the President had submitted his request for war and said, "This is what this monster is doing, this is what his kids are doing. On top of that, the entire region is unstable and it will allow us to secure a solid military foundation to head off any potential threats to national security." I find a hard time believing people would have a significant problem with that level of logic and honesty.

As for third world countries, it sucks but what can you do? We didn't start with any significant advantage over them. Sure we currently stand on the shoulders of genius and inventive minds that 99.99% of us don't deserve to reap the benefits from, but have these nations been so bereft of ingenuity and progress? Or maybe culturally they don't care? If that's the case, why are they tripping over themselves to kill each other now? And what more CAN we do? The US contributes more in aid to these people than every other nation on the planet combined a couple times over.

anon
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
What would be the deference between a good rationalization and a bad one.

Well, strictly defined, a rationalization is just a reason constructed to justify a decision that was originally made for other motivations. So I suppose it depends on one's point of view: since we went to war on the premise of national security, some "bad" rationalizations ("bad" for specific individuals) might be defending Israel, stabilizing our oil supply, etc.

"Helping the Iraqi people" in its various forms ("Helping the children of Iraq", "helping the women of Iraq/Afghanistan") is a "good" rationalization in my mind because who can disagree with that agenda?

baja
10-27-2009, 05:22 PM
so it is totally subjective?

If so a rationalization can be neither good nor bad but only a point of view?

anon
10-27-2009, 05:28 PM
so it is totally subjective?

If so a rationalization can be neither good nor bad but only a point of view?

To be clear, I didn't mean "good" or "bad" in the sense of "good" vs. "evil". I meant "good" as in "good idea." As in, if I were the White House Press Secretary, presenting the war in the context of "helping the Iraqi people" would probably be a "good" strategy.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at but I didn't mean to enter into a discussion on semantics. I'm sure the word "rationalization" is pretty heavily loaded depending on context, but I didn't mean to evoke anything beyond its common pop psychology definition.

baja
10-27-2009, 05:44 PM
just felt you misused the word rationalization

I think way too many issues get rationalized away and much effort is made by vested interests to get the public to believe that a particular rationalization is good.

It erodes individual thinking

just found your use of the adj. "good" as qualifying to a rationalization interesting.

ra⋅tion⋅al⋅ize  [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz⋅ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.
2. to remove unreasonable elements from.
3. to make rational or conformable to reason.
4. to treat or explain in a rational or rationalistic manner.
5. Mathematics. to eliminate radicals from (an equation or expression): to rationalize the denominator of a fraction.
6. Chiefly British. to reorganize and integrate (an industry).
–verb (used without object)
7. to invent plausible explanations for acts, opinions, etc., that are actually based on other causes: He tried to prove that he was not at fault, but he was obviously rationalizing.
8. to employ reason; think in a rational or rationalistic manner.

Mogulseeker
10-27-2009, 06:37 PM
1:33 minutes of hippy agenda...

Impending crisis will force an environmental solution when necessary baja. We're gonna let all the foreigners die off before we fix the planet though.

If this is sarcasm, it's pretty funny. If it's serious, it's a pretty a-hole thing to say.

Bronx33
10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
This makes me wanna go burn some tires in the back yard.

Popcorn Sutton
10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I love how supporting anything that would decrease the amount of **** we put into the Earth's atmosphere makes you a hippie.

UberBroncoMan
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
I love how supporting anything that would decrease the amount of **** we put into the Earth's atmosphere makes you a hippie.

Nuclear Power plants would do less but they're "scary." What's funny is how stupid the general human population is.

ONE ****ing volcano eruption TRUMPS the **** we put into the atmosphere. Guess what, most people are too stupid to know this. Most people are so stupid that they don't actually research **** and just believe what the media tells them. Hell just look at 95% of the Bears fan... zomg the media says Cutler is the best it's everyone else at fault so it must be true, those INT's aren't his fault!

The Sun has actually increased the temperature of the planets close to it by a measurable degree (Earth included). Yeah that means Mars and Venus have actually gotten hotter... damn humans and their polut... oh wait.

We're b****ing about how people starve yet no one actually takes into account that hey wait a second... why the **** are all these poor countries having so many kids.

It's ****ing pathetic what's going on. It's like rabbits. They just keep shooting them out, and they keep starving and dieing, but not before enough live to have more kids and create even more starvation, and disease etc.

Places in Africa and the Middle-East (even India/China) have no business reproducing at the rate they are. Cut some of these countries populations by 1/2 - 3/4's and you'll find EVERYONE eating enough and resulting in more resources being spent on infrastructure growth and actual ****ing progress.

The HUMAN POPULATION in these countries is the problem, not the lack of food getting to them... know why? You give them the food and you're just going to get MORE humans which will once again lead to starvation. Vicious awesome cycle. These countries aren't the US or Europe etc. They can't support growth like we do and they statistically average vastly more kids than us.

You can think of it as a "mean" way of looking at it but we're animals. We are, it's a ****ing fact... and a ton of the humans in the world are ****ing idiots that keep ****ing just like animals. What happens when an animal overpopulates an area without a proper food supply? They die off or they spread to the surrounding area and keep reproducing, and it's no different here.

That Virus line in relation to humans from the Matrix makes me laugh because it's actually quite true to a degree.

Seriously this hippy **** is so stupid.

Yes we need DO to "clean up" more and help the environment where we can, but to obsess over it and do all this **** that they want is absurd and over the top. I recycle every week and I don't waist electricity etc, that's good enough by me.

What this world needs is vastly LESS humans in currently impoverished areas and non radical thinking (on both sides of the spectrum - ie. omg only solar and win power omg, or coal only).

**** humanity makes me pissed off. We're so damn stupid and we overreact to every blip.

There's a reason humanity only recently hit marks such as 1 billion and 2 billion people (way past that now). It's because humanity didn't overpopulate in the past because we didn't have the technology to do it. Rome was a tiny ass city compared to what you see now. WE are helping overpopulation and by our own stupidity. Our quest for the morality that no human deserves to die is only fueling the problem. No this doesn't mean I think people should starve and die, I think it sucks if a human has to die especially that way. But in the past humans DID die if this was done, and that's what prevented it.

It's like saying... Yo I hear you guys are dieing due to starvation, here's some food to get by so you can have more kids and increase your population which means you'll need MORE food, when means MORE kids, and on and on and STUPID...

If Africa and these other countries (South America, Middle East) had a fraction of the population it currently has they'd be so much better off... they might even be progressing with the rest of the world.

Hell just look at Sweden and Norway... the United States has cities with bigger populations than both countries. Oh... and so do small areas of these "impoverished" overpopulated countries I've talked about. Again if these countries weren't filled with a bunch of non-stop ****ing rabbits for humans, and stayed tight and controlled like Sweden and Norway... things would be vastly improved for them.

It's hilarious how stupid we are.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

Aldous Huxley: "At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols."

^ so true.

baja
10-28-2009, 12:16 AM
So did you watch the movie at all UBM?

UberBroncoMan
10-28-2009, 12:19 AM
So did you watch the movie at all UBM?

Did you grasp what I wrote at all baja?... and that's not knocking you. I hit a few points I'm not going to critique the entire 1 hour and 33 minutes. I've seen every damn movie like this from An Inconvenient Truth, to Zeitgeist.

Also I was QUOTING someone countered a hippy statement which lead to my extensive post.

SJ Bronco
10-28-2009, 12:22 AM
It's late, I'll watch the rest tomorrow...got get some sleep...cool so far

baja
10-28-2009, 12:33 AM
In no way shape or form does that ignore science in any way.

<b>I apologize I was a little glib.</b>

In fact, it's extremely supported by science that crisis is the mother of invention, and it's evolutionary to think that if we can't adapt to our changing environment then we don't deserve to live.

<b>I don't see how anybody could argue that.

Maybe this film represents a first step in that mother of invention event.</b>

As for the global warming... we KNOW for a fact that global climate is cyclical, we don't know for a fact that pollution affects it. That's not down-playing the MANY negative effects pollution has on the planet.

Anyways, I'm just expressing my confidence in humanity to solve the problem before it hits a crisis level.

<b>The speed of change has been unprecedented and we are in uncharted waters right now. are you willing to stake your life on a date and say this is the point of no return? </b>

In all honesty, I do think it's semi-admirable of you to parrot the cause and even made drastic life changes to try and make a positive impact.

Personally, I'm not sure how it could be the US's responsibility to baby-sit ever other society on the planet and ensure they have food/clean drinking water/medicine etc, when their own leaders are generally more concerned about drug trade/diamonds/civil war/genocide/religious fundamentalism and more than providing their own people with a decent infrastructure.

<b>I guess it comes down to rather you believe we are all one thing or not.</b>

Sorry I did not respond sooner I did not see until now.

baja
10-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Did you grasp what I wrote at all baja?... and that's not knocking you. I hit a few points I'm not going to critique the entire 1 hour and 33 minutes. I've seen every damn movie like this from An Inconvenient Truth, to Zeitgeist.

Also I was QUOTING someone countered a hippy statement which lead to my extensive post.

OK I owe you an apology. I didn't read your post only a sampling.

Had I bothered to read it I would have seen that I agree 100% with you about over population being the root problem. Hey I'm the guy over in the WPR forum saying there is a plan afoot now by a shadowy few to cull the heard and getting nailed for it I might add.

BroncoBuff
10-28-2009, 01:22 AM
just felt you misused the word rationalization

I think way too many issues get rationalized away and much effort is made by vested interests to get the public to believe that a particular rationalization is good.

It erodes individual thinking

just found your use of the adj. "good" as qualifying to a rationalization interesting.

ra⋅tion⋅al⋅ize  [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz⋅ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.
2. to remove unreasonable elements from.
3. to make rational or conformable to reason.
4. to treat or explain in a rational or rationalistic manner.
5. Mathematics. to eliminate radicals from (an equation or expression): to rationalize the denominator of a fraction.
6. Chiefly British. to reorganize and integrate (an industry).
–verb (used without object)
7. to invent plausible explanations for acts, opinions, etc., that are actually based on other causes: He tried to prove that he was not at fault, but he was obviously rationalizing.
8. to employ reason; think in a rational or rationalistic manner.

Oh for heaven's sake ... :oyvey:

baja
10-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Oh for heaven's sake ... :oyvey:

Oh I thought this was the flavor of the day.

edit; That was a little over the top wasn't it. ;D

UberBroncoMan
10-28-2009, 01:28 AM
OK I owe you an apology. I didn't read your post only a sampling.

Had I bothered to read it I would have seen that I agree 100% with you about over population being the root problem. Hey I'm the guy over in the WPR forum saying there is a plan afoot now by a shadowy few to cull the heard and getting nailed for it I might add.

:egbgb: :thumbs: :egbgb:

baja
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Squandering our greatest resource, soil.

http://quest.tv/ExpoPreview/index.php?id=10