PDA

View Full Version : Kern cut, Spencer Larsen to return to practice.... good news

OBF1
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Got this from NFL.com

Associated Press
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos made their first in-season roster move of the year, bringing in Mitch Berger and waiving Brett Kern in a switch of punters.

Berger is a 16-year NFL veteran who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season.

Blog Blitz: Broncos
Kern was averaging 46.1 yards per punt, but he ranked near the bottom of the league in net average (34.5). San Diego Chargers returner Darren Sproles took a Kern punt 77 yards for a touchdown last Monday, just before the undefeated Broncos went into their bye week.

Berger has a career average of 43 yards on 796 punts.

Berger has made two Pro Bowls, in 1999 with the Minnesota Vikings and 2004 with the New Orleans Saints. Berger entered the league in 1994 as a sixth-round draft pick by the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Broncos also said linebacker/fullback Spencer Larsen is expected to return to practice this week after injuring his shoulder in a locker-room fall before the season opener in Cincinnati.

Kaylore
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
You should edit the title to show Kern was cut. That's kind of big news.

Bronco Warrior
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
With Spenser back do we see Hillis on the field at Tail more?. We have been running alot of single back sets..might not make a difference. Hillis just might be screwed..lol..too bad the guys got skills!

Kaylore
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
With Spenser back do we see Hillis on the field at Tail more?. We have been running alot of single back sets..might not make a difference. Hillis just might be screwed..lol..too bad the guys got skills!

I think Hillis' issue is he's dumb as a box of rocks. People don't remember but last year Hillis was benched for a time and Larsen was given the start. And no, I'm not talking about the Atlanta game. It was one of the earlier games in the season and Hillis got benched for errors in practice that week. Larsen is a better ST player so I'm excited to see him light some more people up this week.

OBF1
10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
You should edit the title to show Kern was cut. That's kind of big news.

Done

Drek
10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Good, we need Spencer back.

He provides a lot of depth we'll need going forward, most importantly someone to take some of the beating off Andra Davis as the season wears on.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Dawkins apparently is not at practice today. Hope that hammy is ok

UberBroncoMan
10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Called it.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=85989

MVP-06
10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing him make some ST hits

Hulamau
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I think Hillis' issue is he's dumb as a box of rocks. People don't remember but last year Hillis was benched for a time and Larsen was given the start. And no, I'm not talking about the Atlanta game. It was one of the earlier games in the season and Hillis got benched for errors in practice that week. Larsen is a better ST player so I'm excited to see him light some more people up this week.

Great news about Larsen and he's solid LB depth as well as a ST demon who will come in real handy. Think you're right about Hillis too.

I think Josh is fond of him, but just looking at his face and listening to him for a while you can see he's a good ole boy, but not the brightest lamp in the forest .. and in this offense you've got to be both tough and smart!

Maybe it will start to click for him yet before long and he'll be able to play a larger role? time will tell.

Archer81
10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Its my theory Hillis has been on special teams to the extent he has been because of the injury to Larsen, and we may see Hillis used a bit more on offense.

:Broncos:

Bronco Warrior
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Its my theory Hillis has been on special teams to the extent he has been because of the injury to Larsen, and we may see Hillis used a bit more on offense.

I hope so too!

tnedator
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM

You guys had us all Hillis-High, with the camp reports about how he was one of the stars of camp. You guys played a trick on us. Now I get it. ;)

broncosteven
10-26-2009, 04:19 PM

This is the wrong system to be dumb in.

He has a talent for football, I hope he gets it and performs well. Some of the dumbest guys I know were FB's where as the smartest football guy I know played DE/lb.

Atwater His Ass
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
You guys had us all Hillis-High, with the camp reports about how he was one of the stars of camp. You guys played a trick on us. Now I get it. ;)

happens every year during camp.

also could be, i know *gasp*, that hillis just isn't that good of a football player, espcially considering the competition he has at RB to even get on the field.

if hillis was half as good as people around here think, McD would have to find a way to get him on the field. fact is, he's nothing more than a role player / ST guy who can't play his way on the field.

he was given opportunities at the start of the season, and for the most part, he blew it. i can only assume he was on thin ice already, and those failures just keep him on the bench now.

Kaylore
10-26-2009, 04:27 PM

I don't remember saying anything other than he was used in a lot of goal line and short yardage situations. He still has the best hands I've seen, though.

missingnumber7
10-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Need to get some snickers on the sidelines for Berger. About time we get rid of a sub par punter that didn't know how to kick the ball out of bounds.

UberBroncoMan
10-26-2009, 05:02 PM
My question is who the **** are we sitting for Larsen.

Part of me doesn't want to think it's Hillis, but who knows.

****, he was so damn good last year it pisses me off.

HEAV
10-26-2009, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=Kaylore;2618733]I think Hillis' issue is he's dumb as a box of rocks.QUOTE]

:spit:

He does have that RedNeck ahw shucks look on his face. ROFL!

broncofan2438
10-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Good to hear that Larson is back. Hes a great LB

Chris
10-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Who is taking over for Kern?

watermock
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Odd moves.

Beginning of the end..Ha!

Cito Pelon
10-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Good, we need Spencer back.

He provides a lot of depth we'll need going forward, most importantly someone to take some of the beating off Andra Davis as the season wears on.

That's a good point.

Archer81
10-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I hope so too!

Get off my sack.

_Oro_
10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
So how did Larsen get hurt in the locker room? Pregame motivational speech gone bad?

broncosteven
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM
So how did Larsen get hurt in the locker room? Pregame motivational speech gone bad?

Maybe he was explaining how David Carradine died?

Mogulseeker
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
With how well A.Davis and W.Woodyard are playing, where does Larsen factor into the defense this year?

Haggan has been all over the place. I might be wrong, but he kinda looks like the weakest link on D, and I wonder how Larsen would work at LOLB.

Mogulseeker
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
With how well A.Davis and W.Woodyard are playing, where does Larsen factor into the defense this year?

Haggan has been all over the place. I might be wrong, but he kinda looks like the weakest link on D, and I wonder how Larsen would work at LOLB.

Dammit, L O L B is a position in football, so can we get rid of the smiley whenever someone posts the position?

Steve Sewell
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM

You really think Haggan a weak link on D? ROFL

_Oro_
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
lol

Mogulseeker
10-26-2009, 07:54 PM
You really think Haggan a weak link on D? ROFL

It doesn't matter what player I say. There's always a critic... someone who likes the guy.

A year ago I said Hamilton was the weak link on o-line and was chided. I talked him up from then on.

Haggan is solid, but unspectacular, on a great defense. Larsen is younger and more fiery, and might be an upgrade.

On the other hand, I could point out how DJ is over-pursuing tackles, is relatively light at 255, and would be better suited to play Haggan's position.

We're 6-0. Bottom line.

Mogulseeker
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
That, and Haggan got an extention a couple of weeks ago if I recall correctly.

HEAV
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Who is taking over for Kern?

The Denver Broncos made their first in-season roster move of the year, bringing in Mitch Berger and waiving Brett Kern in a switch of punters.

Berger is a 16-year NFL veteran who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season.

HEAV
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
That, and Haggan got an extention a couple of weeks ago if I recall correctly.

September 9, 2009

The Denver Broncos signed starting outside linebacker Mario Haggan to a two-year, $3.5 million contract extension that includes $1.25 million in guaranteed money, a league source said Wednesday.

hambone13
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Yeah, he was going off about golden scrolls and John Smith is what I heard...

_Oro_
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
?

Archer81
10-26-2009, 08:29 PM

Gold plates?

anon
10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Love this move. Shows how detail-oriented the new regime is... Kern's punts out of the endzone when a drive stalled around mid-field were driving me crazy -- such a waste of field position.

missingnumber7
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM

No he was demonstrating how the game was going to end.

Natedog24
10-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Larsen and Woodyard is some pretty awesome depth at LB...

outdoor_miner
10-26-2009, 09:47 PM

If anyone is going to replace Haggan at OLB, it's Ayers.

ludo21
10-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Hillis is a good player and has proven it on the field for us. I hope with LArsen getting back in the action Hillis can get in there and help fix our 3rd and short woes.