PDA

View Full Version : Three teams get 2 weeks to prepare for Broncos

Blart
10-26-2009, 02:17 AM
These teams have bye weeks before facing the Broncos, allowing them to heal up and gameplan:

San Diego
Baltimore (we get two weeks as well, but still)
Pittsburgh

All in a row!

In comparison, here are the teams that get two weeks to prepare for Indianapolis...

(none)

It's not fair :(

Broncosfreak_56
10-26-2009, 02:31 AM
We will be battle tested come playoff time.

cutthemdown
10-26-2009, 03:27 AM
Broncos can't be game planned for very easy because they change things up so much.

This yr we have played the spread. We have played 3 WR. We have played 2 TE. We have played 3 TE. We have used a FB, we have not used a FB.

We have ran the ball more then we passed, and passed the ball more then we ran. We have thrown to the TE and the WR.

We have rushed 4, played with Doom at both sides and as Dend on 3rd downs. We have played zone and man to man. We had bailey lock down one side, and had him shadow player in other games.

I so agree though it is an advantage to get 2 weeks to prepare regardless.

Sometimes though a week off can make you lose something. We will soon see.

Go Broncos

UberBroncoMan
10-26-2009, 03:46 AM
It's stupid **** like this that makes me think the league wants the teams with the superstar QB's to do better.

Not only is Indy's schedule a ****ing joke but they have no bye week competition.

cutthemdown
10-26-2009, 04:07 AM
It's stupid **** like this that makes me think the league wants the teams with the superstar QB's to do better.

Not only is Indy's schedule a ****ing joke but they have no bye week competition.

The schedule is made by a formula not some random thing the comish picks.

Indy's whole division probably has an easy schedule. Just like the NFC East figured playing the AFC west this yr would be a cakewalk.

cutthemdown
10-26-2009, 04:08 AM
We will be battle tested come playoff time.

Exactly by the time we reach, if we reach, playoffs we will have probably played the team we are going to have to beat to advance.

NE/Indy/Pitt/Balt/Cinci hell maybe even SD.

Blart
10-26-2009, 04:11 AM
The season opener that nobody watched was a preview of the AFC Championship.

eddie mac
10-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Worked well for San Diego didn't it.

Bronco Boy
10-26-2009, 06:16 AM
I don't know how much of an advantage having an extra week gives other than healing up your players a little.

Drek
10-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Historically teams are only about 60/40 out of the bye, not that big of an edge. We've already beaten one, have the other coming off our own bye, and the last comes to Denver. Its not that big of a deal.

What is a big deal is that Washington is somehow actually playing worse at home than on the road, so that game is looking real good, and Philly isn't looking too special themselves, so thats another winnable road game. If we defend home field strong, take care of the division, and travel with even a modicum of success we'll be in the playoffs and that's all that matters.

Man-Goblin
10-26-2009, 06:59 AM
The Broncos seriously got hosed with the order the schedule, yes, but remember they weren't supposed to be that good anyway. Why not give the power teams an extra week to ensure a freebie against the lowly Broncos?

The only thing close to it is the Falcons have to play 4 out of 6 games against teams coming off a bye.

It's complete bull****, and at the very least, red flags should have gone up when the schedule was configured, prompting a revision.

Broncoman13
10-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I think it was either Atlanta or Dallas that have/had four teams on their schedule with bye weeks the previous week. I agree it is a schedule anomaly but we have one thing going for us... Josh McDaniels has been very careful not to be predictable. His ability to change game plans each and every week and win in different ways make it very difficult to game plan for him. So, that negates our opponents ability to identify weaknesses. Plus, just like the Broncos, several teams take a lot of time off during their bye week. Now make no mistake, the coaches are still busy breaking down film and tendencies. But the biggest advantage is the extended time off to get healthy. That is the main benefit we are going up against. Fortunately, we are a very well conditioned team and the advantage is somewhat negated by playing at altitude or training at altitude and then playing at sealevel. We'll be oaky.

These teams have bye weeks before facing the Broncos, allowing them to heal up and gameplan:

San Diego
Baltimore (we get two weeks as well, but still)
Pittsburgh

All in a row!

In comparison, here are the teams that get two weeks to prepare for Indianapolis...

(none)

It's not fair :(

Jason in LA
10-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Historically teams are only about 60/40 out of the bye, not that big of an edge. We've already beaten one, have the other coming off our own bye, and the last comes to Denver. Its not that big of a deal.

I'm wondering what the actual record is when playing teams coming after a bye, because I don't think it's a big deal either.

lex
10-26-2009, 09:03 AM
The bye week complaint is totally valid. Unlike complaining about playing tough teams, which can change from year to year and is slotted anyway, the bye week is something the league can and do something about.

Has anyone heard anything from the national media about this? I havent. But I do remember kvetching from the national media when the pats missed the playoffs. And then they restrucured the draft order after this too.

BroncoBuff
10-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Worked well for San Diego didn't it.

Exactly ... seems like they had no idea what our defense was gonna do. It was almost as if they didn't see any film.

lex
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
What is a big deal is that Washington is somehow actually playing worse at home than on the road, so that game is looking real good, and Philly isn't looking too special themselves, so thats another winnable road game. If we defend home field strong, take care of the division, and travel with even a modicum of success we'll be in the playoffs and that's all that matters.

Its not a big deal if your talking about playing awful teams maybe.

TheReverend
10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Baltimore is going to get beat up at their own game.

Broncos4tw
10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Bye weeks are vastly overrated. Your players get healthy? Maybe, but you also get back those players who were 80% and rusty back. Go ahead and play those guys. You guy a team that just took a week off and probably went out on drinking binges. I think perhaps the coaching staff "prepares" more for a team, but overall, I think the bye week is not nearly as big an advantage as people think.

rmsanger
10-26-2009, 09:11 AM

Guess it depends upon the quality of the analysis.... Assuming there is a large enough sample size to "Normalize" the curve then all else being equal it definately proves there is an advantage. Would be interesting to slice and dice the data. For example to look at how the statistics change when you only include .500 record or better teams after there by. You could look at the home vs. away advantage. Also you would want to remove all games where both teams had come off a bye.

BroncoBuff
10-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Washington is somehow actually playing worse at home than on the road, so that game is looking real good, and Philly isn't looking too special themselves, so thats another winnable road game. If we defend home field strong, take care of the division, and travel with even a modicum of success we'll be in the playoffs and that's all that matters.
As I mentioned before, our Home-Road schedule sequence sets up very nicely. All our tough games the first half of the season were at HOME - Dallas, NE, Pittsburgh. The tough ROAD games are not until Week 14 and 16, Colts and Eagles. By then we'll probably have clinched the division.

Yes, the schedule was tough based on our opponents' W-L records ... but all the early tough games were at home :thumbs:

tsiguy96
10-26-2009, 09:18 AM
game planning and preparing is not so much what a bye week is beneficial for, it is however good for getting hurt players back or putting major changes in the team that arent working. i think they prepare for teams the same way, they jsut have more time to make BIG changes like a significant portion of plays or a position change etc

underrated29
10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Our defense still runs a lot of the 5-2. If we dont change that up. Teams will beat us.

Thats what worries my. It seems to be our base defense and we sure play it a lot. In like every game a lot. This needs to be switched up. Not major, but in order to keep teams and film off balance.