PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances Shanahan doesn't coach next year.

baja
10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
he has had a chance to see there is life outside of football 24/7 and Bowlen will give him 7 million to stop and smell the roses. besides it has to be sobering to see what McD has been able to do with his old team.

Poll coming;

Gort
10-25-2009, 04:29 PM
100% he won't coach next year.

i think he'll do TV work next year and then wait for the ideal HC opening.

elsid13
10-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Who knew that we actually miss Hotrod starting polls.

tnedator
10-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't know exactly what the language is, but he has an obligation to find employment in order to keep getting the $7 million from Bowlen. I don't know if it has to be head coaching employment.

HEAV
10-25-2009, 04:33 PM
I bet Cutler has called him more than Daniel Snyder at this point. The rat will be in Chi-town with his boy lover. While Denver will have their high first round draft selection and Franchise Orton!

baja
10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't know exactly what the language is, but he has an obligation to find employment in order to keep getting the $7 million from Bowlen. I don't know if it has to be head coaching employment.

I would be shocked if Shanny would ever agree to that. Probably not even legally enforceable.

bpc
10-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I bet Cutler has called him more than Daniel Snyder at this point. The rat will be in Chi-town with his boy lover. While Denver will have their high first round draft selection and Franchise Orton!

Not guaranteed. Orton is a FA. Wouldn't it be insane if he stuck it to Denver to be paid like a top 5 QB in the league? ha ha. What to do, what to do?

Bronco Warrior
10-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Shanny will be employed the day the Season ends if not before! Rumors he goes to Washington before the season to get the jump on the Competition..not sure how credible that would be. Dallas is the most likely spot and this next year..Shannahan and Jones have a relationship already and would be the best fit, ala Jones and Johnson!

bpc
10-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Personally, i think that Shanny should sit out and collect his 7 million. That would be awesome and to be honest, he deserves it for his run in Denver.

Unfortunately Lovie is going to off himself and I can definitely see Mike in Chi-Town or Dallas next year.

They will be winning very soon in that scenario.

HooptyHoops
10-25-2009, 04:45 PM
For sure...100%...why else was he visiting all the winning programs training camps? You wouldn't be doing that if you were just going to sit out for another year....

Durango
10-25-2009, 05:25 PM
I get this sickly feeling that Shanny will take the San Diego job once the team bounces Norv Turner. Dallas and Washington have meddlesome owners. San Diego will give Mike the power he wants, and probably the money too.

bpc
10-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Well that would just pit McD vs. Shanny yearly. Funny how that would work out.

Broncomutt
10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
McDaniels has pretty much exposed Shanny for the "has been" he is.

Still, there are a couple of owners who like "has beens".

Bronco Warrior
10-25-2009, 05:34 PM
To go to SD AJ Smith will have to be out too and Spanos won't get rid of his buttbuddy! Shannahan and Jones are already tight, and Snyder will have to out bid Jones for shanahan

baja
10-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Well that would just pit McD vs. Shanny yearly. Funny how that would work out.

This is what I hope happens.

UberBroncoMan
10-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I think he does.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

If I'm Shanny I'm just kicking it back till my contracts runs out. 100 hour work days is not worth it when you're getting paid to do nothing.

Just relax.

bpc
10-25-2009, 05:36 PM
This is what I hope happens.

Careful what you wish for!!! It just might come true.

I don't want Shanny in the AFC. NFC would be perfect for me though, next stop Chicago or Dallas.

HEAV
10-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Not guaranteed. Orton is a FA. Wouldn't it be insane if he stuck it to Denver to be paid like a top 5 QB in the league? ha ha. What to do, what to do?

A) He's a restricted free agent.
$2.562 million =First- and third-round
$2.017 million =First-round
$1.417 million =Second-round

No team will give up First & Third. If they do then Denver turned Cutler into 3 1st round selections!

B) Orton is not a dummy. He knows it's Josh McDaniels that has turned his career around. Orton will want respectable cash, but he knows the longer he stays with McDaniels the better.

Stop being a downer.

Durango
10-25-2009, 05:42 PM
McDaniels has pretty much exposed Shanny for the "has been" he is.

Still, there are a couple of owners who like "has beens".

I just don't think this is necessary, or true. It looks like Mike became complacent here, but I thought he was on track and would've drafted defense out the kazoo this last April. The Slowik loyalty remains baffling to me, but I seriously question the 'has been' tag. We'll see how he does with his next gig and I'd bet it will be very successful.

HEAV
10-25-2009, 05:43 PM

I don't want Shanny in the AFC. NFC would be perfect for me though, next stop Chicago or Dallas.

Where ever he goes Slowick will follow and that cancels out anythign Shanny can do on offense.

I'd love to see a Shanny team go head to head against McDaniels. Sorry Shanny was good, but now it's McDaniels.

DenverBrit
10-25-2009, 05:45 PM

He does indeed.

Bowlen will be liable for the difference in Shanny's new salary versus the 7mill for which Bowlen is contractually obligated.

Nice deal.

elsid13
10-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Personally, i think that Shanny should sit out and collect his 7 million. That would be awesome and to be honest, he deserves it for his run in Denver.

Unfortunately Lovie is going to off himself and I can definitely see Mike in Chi-Town or Dallas next year.

They will be winning very soon in that scenario.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Carolina or Jacksonville. Both haven't been mentioned but they have strong running games, veteran defense and good young lines that would fit Shanahan's offense

rastaman
10-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Shanny will be employed the day the Season ends if not before! Rumors he goes to Washington before the season to get the jump on the Competition..not sure how credible that would be. Dallas is the most likely spot and this next year..Shannahan and Jones have a relationship already and would be the best fit, ala Jones and Johnson!

Bowlen still owes Shanny 7 million per year over the next two years so he isnt' hurting for money. There's no rush for Shanny to return next season should he not get the situation he's looking for.

DenverBrit
10-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Where ever he goes Slowick will follow and that cancels out anythign Shanny can do on offense.

I'd love to see a Shanny team go head to head against McDaniels. Sorry Shanny was good, but now it's McDaniels.

Teams will be scouring the coaching backgrounds of young assistants hoping to find another McD.

Copy-cat league, they'll want younger and cheaper if they can find a candidate.

Killericon
10-25-2009, 05:48 PM
I'd say yes...But it really depends on who gets fired.

rastaman
10-25-2009, 05:49 PM

McDaniels is good, but ya ignore the fact that he's winning with many elements left to him by Shanahan. Should they ever go head-head it will be an intriguing game(s) thats for sure.

baja
10-25-2009, 05:50 PM

I think under the current coaches the Broncos will be always competitive and the SD rivalry would be one for the ages those two guys strategizing against one another. Classic!

Something to think about though, a combination of youthful energy + wisdom & insight is really hard to beat for someone in their sixties.

DenverBrit
10-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Bowlen still owes Shanny 7 million per year over the next two years so he isnt' hurting for money. There's no rush for Shanny to return next season should he not get the situation he's looking for.

I think his contract says otherwise.

Bowlen won't keep paying the 7 mill when Shanny's contract obliges him to get back to work.

NYBronco
10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't believe Shanahan will be in SD. If Norv is released I believe Ron Rivera will be the new HC.

rastaman
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I think his contract says otherwise.

Bowlen won't keep paying the 7 mill when Shanny's contract obliges him to get back to work.

Shanny is under contract for the remainder of his 7 mil per year contact in 2009, 2010, and 2011. After the 011 season, Bowlen owes him nothing. The only way Bowlen of relieved of paying Shanny over the next two season, is if Shanny takes another HC job beginning in 2010.

Broncomutt
10-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I just don't think this is necessary, or true. It looks like Mike became complacent here, but I thought he was on track and would've drafted defense out the kazoo this last April. The Slowik loyalty remains baffling to me, but I seriously question the 'has been' tag. We'll see how he does with his next gig and I'd bet it will be very successful.

I can respect your opinion Durango. I do. But listen carefully:

Head coaches do not get complacent

When they do, they step down. Hang it up, or recharge their batteries, whatever.

Those who don't show that their own concerns outweigh those of the organization. That attitude seeps down to the team itself. Most owners won't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

But there are a few idiots out there.

Fact: Shanny got handed his hat and shown the door. He got fired.When that happens to great coaches, people start to wonder if the game has past them by. At least that's the way I see it.

DenverBrit
10-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Shanny is under contract for the remainder of his 7 mil per year contact in 2009, 2010, and 2011. After the 011 season, Bowlen owes him nothing. The only way Bowlen of relieved of paying Shanny over the next two season, is if Shanny takes another HC job beginning in 2010.

Agreed. But contracts with that kind of guarantee almost always oblige the 'payee' to use their 'best efforts' to find new employment.

Of course, none of us know the exact language in the contract.

elsid13
10-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I can respect your opinion Durango. I do. But listen carefully:

Head coaches do not get complacent

When they do, they step down. Hang it up, or recharge their batteries, whatever.

Those who don't show that their own concerns outweigh those of the organization. That attitude seeps down to the team itself. Most owners won't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

But there are a few idiots out there.

Fact: Shanny got handed his hat and shown the door. He got fired.When that happens to great coaches, people start to wonder if the game has past them by. At least that's the way I see it.

That not true. When head coach get complacent they start to let the little details go unfixed or slide. Which happened with Shanahan. And no one thinks the game has passed Shanahan bye, expect someone that doesn't understand the NFL.

FireFly
10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I get this sickly feeling that Shanny will take the San Diego job once the team bounces Norv Turner. Dallas and Washington have meddlesome owners. San Diego will give Mike the power he wants, and probably the money too.

This is quite possible, he'd have a team with decent talent and would no doubt like the opportunity to beat McDaniels.

Would be epic if he came back just to beat us and we swept him. ROFL!

Hamrob
10-25-2009, 08:12 PM
I think Shanny will go wherever there's the most talent coupled with the best owner. I'm not sure he'd want to work with Jone's interference, nor Snyder's.

I could see him in Chicago...he's from that neck of the woods. The Bears have Cutler and a good deal of talent to work with. I could also see him in Sandiego. I said that the moment he was canned. One thing about Shanny...he holds a grudge. I could see him playing for the Bolts just to get back at Bowlen. Plus, let's face it...next to us...playing the fade and the cheifs twice a year equates to 4 wins.

Pony Boy
10-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I think Bowlen will bring back Shanny just to handle the 2010 draft.........................

Ok it's an attempt at a joke .................

gunns
10-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Carolina or Jacksonville. Both haven't been mentioned but they have strong running games, veteran defense and good young lines that would fit Shanahan's offense

I was thinking Jacksonville too. Even if Shanahan and Jones are tight I don't see him going to a team where your assistant coach/GM is the owner.

gunns
10-25-2009, 08:24 PM
That not true. When head coach get complacent they start to let the little details go unfixed or slide. Which happened with Shanahan. And no one thinks the game has passed Shanahan bye, expect someone that doesn't understand the NFL.

I can see complacency allowing the game to pass a coach by. I think Shanahan got stuck in the 80's and 90's, an offensive era. This is a defensive era and Shanahan wouldn't, couldn't, didn't, adjust to it. I think he's had a wake up call and seeing the Broncos achieve what they have so far because of defense, he will adjust. He's a good coach and this wake up call could make him dangerous, depending on his ability to adjust which I think he will do well. If he quits hanging with Slowik. If he doesn't, he didn't learn anything.

Blart
10-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Mike will not share control with an owner. Not after dealing with Al Davis.

That means no Cowboys, no Redskins, no HC job in 2010.

tsiguy96
10-25-2009, 09:10 PM
i think san diego is a very real option. hate on aj smith all you want, hes assembled an all world roster over the last few years, on its way down now though. dunno if he wnats to go to bad weather either, wasnt there a report that he was liking the warm or something?

tnedator
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Mike will not share control with an owner. Not after dealing with Al Davis.

That means no Cowboys, no Redskins, no HC job in 2010.

We'll see. I think people make more of the "won't work with a strong owner" than is really there. I think he would look at Dallas and Jones being a "do anything to win" owner and see it as a chance to get another SB ring.

rastaman
10-26-2009, 04:03 AM
We'll see. I think people make more of the "won't work with a strong owner" than is really there. I think he would look at Dallas and Jones being a "do anything to win" owner and see it as a chance to get another SB ring.

Point is, Jones comes with a lot of baggage and is high maintenace to please. Remember Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after Jimmy won two consecutive SB's for Jones, basically all over ego!

Shanny should know that Jones will want to have his hands in everything. Should Shanny take the risk and make a deal with the Devil (that being Jerry Jones), he should ask for 15-20 million dollars per year over 6 years guranteed!

Just in case somewhere down the road Ole Jerry Jones tries to pull another firing in Jimmy Johnson style, Shanny can walk a way with a big smile on his face.

JERRY JONES CAN'T BE TRUSTED....HE'S AL DAVIS LITTLE BROTHER.

cutthemdown
10-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Point is, Jones comes with a lot of baggage and is high maintenace to please. Remember Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after Jimmy won two consecutive SB's for Jones, basically all over ego!

Shanny should know that Jones will want to have his hands in everything. Should Shanny take the risk and make a deal with the Devil (that being Jerry Jones), he should ask for 15-20 million dollars per year over 6 years guranteed!

Just in case somewhere down the road Ole Jerry Jones tries to pull another firing in Jimmy Johnson style, Shanny can walk a way with a big smile on his face.

JERRY JONES CAN'T BE TRUSTED....HE'S AL DAVIS LITTLE BROTHER.

Bears will be perfect for Shanny. What better time to make Shanny a GM when the team has no first day picks? Hell you get a throw away yr almost when it comes to re-builiding.

Like I said though I'm not sure Shanny will like Chicago based on Cutler being there.

Remember he has a relationship with Romo also. Went to same school as him. Plus hands down Dallas has better facilities to train and a better stadium. Shanny loves stuff like that.

Then there are places like DC, Jacksonville (which could mean LA for Shanny) etc etc.

I could really see Shanny wanting to be in LA, very close to his big house in Denver, lots of sun, lots of stars, lots of money.

rastaman
10-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Can't see LA. Wouldnt a team in LA be a complete rebuilding/bare bones scenario?