PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps "street view" ... they might have your pic, they got me

BroncoBuff
10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1418/221jx.jpg

Coming back from the store obviously, out of the parking structure, crossing to my building.

Must be a Saturday with that shirt and shorts on. Wierd.

You guys might wanna check around your place, your neighborhood and your loved ones, etc.

cutthemdown
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't like it. It's invasion of people privacy to have picks of there homes and backyards put out for display.

For sure burglars use this technology to help them burglarize people.

BroncoDoug
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
sure that wasn't a brothel?

I kid I kid

BroncoBuff
10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't like it. It's invasion of people privacy to have picks of there homes and backyards put out for display.
They try to mask out faces and license plates, but still ... there's a lotta info you can glean from that.

PRBronco
10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
This thing chaps my hide! I saw the car drive by me and made a mental note of where I was so I could check when it came out, but it looks like i didn't make the cut :( They did manage to put my car on though, when they drove by my house.

cutthemdown
10-23-2009, 11:52 PM
They try to mask out faces and license plates, but still ... there's a lotta info you can glean from that.

When I google earthed my house I was shocked to see how messy my backyard looks from space!!!!!

Made me realize man you gotta get your big huge sportfisher fixed and back in the water because it looks out of place in my driveway.

enjolras
10-24-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't really see how street-view helps Burglars really. They can (more effectively) walk the streets on their own. They're not really putting anything online that isn't readily available to anyone walking through your neighborhood.

I'm really hoping Google is really aggressive about updating those images. It'd be interesting to be able to see how these places evolve through the years. I have a house built in 1912, and I'd love to find some pictures of it when it was originally built. We've looked through the Denver city archives (the historical photos of Denver at the library are amazing), but haven't found anything yet.

cutthemdown
10-24-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't really see how street-view helps Burglars really. They can (more effectively) walk the streets on their own. They're not really putting anything online that isn't readily available to anyone walking through your neighborhood.

I'm really hoping Google is really aggressive about updating those images. It'd be interesting to be able to see how these places evolve through the years. I have a house built in 1912, and I'd love to find some pictures of it when it was originally built. We've looked through the Denver city archives (the historical photos of Denver at the library are amazing), but haven't found anything yet.

Here is why. Strangers walking though neighborhoods checking out how high fences are, where gates are, who drives what kind of car, what is in peoples backyards, what is in peoples front yards can raise suspicion. Somehow who is familar with the area will seem more in place then someone looking around. The amount of territory they can scan, , is all better by using google street view.

I heard cops use it all the time, if it's useful to them, it's useful to the criminals.

cutthemdown
10-24-2009, 12:40 AM

plus using Google earth they can canvass more streets in less time.

BroncoDoug
10-24-2009, 12:41 AM
This thing chaps my hide! I saw the car drive by me and made a mental note of where I was so I could check when it came out, but it looks like i didn't make the cut :( They did manage to put my car on though, when they drove by my house.

what did the car look like? just some random car with a bunch of cameras on top? or was it marked to let you and everyone else know what it was doing?

TailgateNut
10-24-2009, 01:13 AM
what did the car look like? just some random car with a bunch of cameras on top? or was it marked to let you and everyone else know what it was doing?

It's the one with the big "orb" camera on the roof.

19Morton77
10-24-2009, 01:14 AM
When I google earthed my house I was shocked to see how messy my backyard looks from space!!!!!

Made me realize man you gotta get your big huge sportfisher fixed and back in the water because it looks out of place in my driveway.

not to mention to take down the tents and let that poor 29 year old finally go home with those 2 kids you had with her. It just isnt right, sicko.

Spider
10-24-2009, 01:22 AM
google doesnt have me ,but every state in the US except Alaska and Hawaii have me on camera .........every port of entry ..........

PRBronco
10-24-2009, 01:26 AM

Naw it was just a little red car with a huge contraption on the roof, after my initial "wtf...." reaction, it didn't take long to realize what it was.

Kinda like this one, but a little different:
http://www.wikinomics.com/blog/uploads/google_street_view_car_prius_gets_ticket.jpg

Archer81
10-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Google drives vans with the bubble dome on top with the cameras. I checked my house...car in the driveway...needed to cut the grass. Bugs me a bit because in every bad big brother movie, you have the unmarked vans cruising around...makes me paranoid.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
10-24-2009, 01:30 AM
not to mention to take down the tents and let that poor 29 year old finally go home with those 2 kids you had with her. It just isnt right, sicko.

Yeah ok. Hope to see you see ya someday.

baja
10-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Too invasive IMO - closest we got here is a guy offering to take your picture with a donkey.

Broncofan_H
10-24-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't have a problem with it. Like others have said, it's not different than someone walking down the street. In fact, it's been helpful when looking at houses to buy to see what the rest of the neighborhood looks like. It's helped rule out a few places.

ak1971
10-24-2009, 07:55 AM

ak1971
10-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Dukes
10-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Bing's Birds Eye view is not as bad, but can still be invasive.

BroncoBuff
10-24-2009, 09:33 AM

That is too funny ... both that and the drug dealer.

Hey, this would be a good meme, "Caught on Street View."

BroncoBuff
10-24-2009, 10:31 AM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/408/googledrugdealo.jpg

I'm sorry, but if you're driving a 30 year-old Ford Fairmont, you should be saving your money for a new car :~ohyah!:

BroncoBuff
10-24-2009, 10:42 AM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/408/googledrugdealo.jpg

I'm sorry, but if you're driving a 30 year-old Ford Fairmont, you should be saving your money for a new car :~ohyah!:

If I'm not mistaken, that pic is right near Comiskey Park.

theAPAOps5
10-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I am not in it but my truck was out in the driveway:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/ApaOps5/GSVTruck.jpg

HILife
10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Naw it was just a little red car with a huge contraption on the roof, after my initial "wtf...." reaction, it didn't take long to realize what it was.

Kinda like this one, but a little different:
http://www.wikinomics.com/blog/uploads/google_street_view_car_prius_gets_ticket.jpg

Very cleaver Google. They disguised themselves as an unmarked low economy car to through everyone off. Google 1, everyone else 0. Oh those tricky tricky Google.

baja
10-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Very cleaver Google. They disguised themselves as an unmarked low economy car to through everyone off. Google 1, everyone else 0. Oh those tricky tricky Google.

Looks like the cop writing the ticket wasn't fooled.

Mogulseeker
10-24-2009, 12:16 PM

For sure burglars use this technology to help them burglarize people.

I think it's great. I use it for school papers in my Urban Environmental Health papers (lookin up landfill. superfund sites, etc.)

Even though the military base I worked on in Maine had a hissy fit when Google Earth came out. Needless to say, they lost.

BroncoBuff
10-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Kids.

cutthemdown
10-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I think it's great. I use it for school papers in my Urban Environmental Health papers (lookin up landfill. superfund sites, etc.)

Even though the military base I worked on in Maine had a hissy fit when Google Earth came out. Needless to say, they lost.

I just don't like it. It's a slippery slope we are going down. Redlight Cameras writing us tickets to make money off us. Google Earth showing people pictures of your house, your backyard. Cameras everywhere to guard against crime. Cameras when you go through a toll booth. Cameras everywhere.

At what point is enough enough?

Or will we be a society someday where you can't walk out your front door, leave your curtains open, go in your backyard, without it being on tape?

Mogulseeker
10-24-2009, 12:41 PM
The House I grew up in:

Mogulseeker
10-24-2009, 12:42 PM
This feature is pretty cool.

The Dorm I live in now:

Mogulseeker
10-24-2009, 12:45 PM
One more....

The BEST bar in Denver:

BroncoBuff
10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
The house you grew up in .... is that near 120th and Wadsworth? I know a house on a cul-de-sac that looks exactly like that one.

Mogulseeker
10-24-2009, 01:21 PM
The house you grew up in .... is that near 120th and Wadsworth? I know a house on a cul-de-sac that looks exactly like that one.

In Littleton?

It is right off of Wadsworth... near Wadsworth an Ken Caryl.

You know where Aspen Grove mall is? By the Santa Fe light rail station?

That's right where I grew up... I live just south of Downtown near Wash Park now.

BroncoBuff
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
No, you're way way south. I meant 120th north.