PDA

View Full Version : If Dumervil breaks the season sack record, itís karma

boppool
10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Good read from By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

Certainly, the team success is paramount, but you canít measure the amount of personal vindication Denver Broncos linebacker Elvis Dumervil(notes) will feel if he can sustain a major run at Michael Strahanís(notes) record. NFL history says he wonít (see Joey Porterís(notes) fade last season), but Dumervilís own history says otherwise. Other than maybe Drew Brees(notes), there might not be another starring player in the NFL right now who had his college dominance pooh-poohed more than Dumervil. And it canít look good for personnel evaluators that those two players are now tearing the league up at their respective positions.

But unlike Brees, Dumervil didnít even get the benefit of being a second-round pick. Despite notching 30 sacks in his last two seasons at Louisville, setting the single-game sack record (six) and the NCAA record for forced fumbles in a season, he was summarily dismissed by NFL teams until late in the fourth round. This despite winning almost every major defensive award he qualified for, and facing consistent double-teaming late in his senior season. I can still remember milling around the NFLís scouting combine in 2006 and hearing the dismissals: He was too small to be a defensive end. He wasnít athletic enough to be an outside linebacker. Heíd be a liability against the run. Heíd get devoured in pass coverage.

Well, midway through his fourth season, Dumervil has 35Ĺ career sacks. And now that defensive coordinator Mike Nolan has him rotating between 3-4 outside linebacker and 4-3 defensive end (in passing downs), heís endlessly terrorizing opposing offenses as a rusher Ė a point that illustrates why the right defensive coordinator can make a playerís career. With 10 sacks in six games, Dumervil is off to a blazing start and might even have a shot at Strahanís record of 22Ĺ.

There may not be a guy who deserves it more. Not after setting high school sack records in Miami and then being told by his college of choice, the Hurricanes, that he could never play defensive end for them. Not after being told by NFL evaluators that his skills didnít translate to the pro level. And certainly not after sitting home on draft day and watching 125 other players go in front of him. Like Brees before him, Dumervil is on a payback tour, and he deserves everything thatís coming to him.

This guy trully deserves it. Enjoy the ride, Doom

TheReverend
10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1766/tigerg.gif

OBF1
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
And guys like Jarvis Moss get taken in the 1st round...go figure

Houshyamama
10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
http://i24.tinypic.com/4uszmc.gif

Peoples Champ
10-21-2009, 02:03 PM
what a man, good for Elvis, haters gonna hate. I love when guys like Elvis are out there to prove he is worthy.

Peoples Champ
10-21-2009, 02:03 PM
good post

Peoples Champ
10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
i hope this guy gets paid

Garcia Bronco
10-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I love how writers consistently put the cart in front of the horse.

UberBroncoMan
10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
i hope this guy gets paid

You mean by us right? Because it's becoming increasingly likely we won't be able to afford him... not with all the other signings we need to do.

jhns
10-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Me and my friend(cowboys fan) argued a lot this offseason about who would break the sack record. Obviously he said Ware and I said Elvis. Looks like I may actually be right on that one. I'm sure Cowboy fans would settle for a few sacks from Ware before they worry about recpords at this point.

Peoples Champ
10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
You mean by us right? Because it's becoming increasingly likely we won't be able to afford him... not with all the other signings we need to do.

Yes, by the Broncos.

BroncoMan4ever
10-21-2009, 03:05 PM
sign him now so we don't lose him

_Oro_
10-21-2009, 03:06 PM
And guys like Jarvis Moss get taken in the 1st round...go figure

Hey he had a sweet game that one time.

BroncoMan4ever
10-21-2009, 03:56 PM

in the pros?

kappys
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM

You'll have to trigger my memory. I do recall him having a QB pressure and a tackle in the same game but that's about it.

snowspot66
10-21-2009, 04:34 PM

We can afford him and all the other guys. The issues with the CBA are really going to help us out this year.