PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sign player who hasn't played since 2003

crowebomber
10-21-2009, 09:40 AM
What an embarrassment. They are so horrible I sometimes feel sorry for Bob.

Per Florio:

Chiefs dust off Kenny Smith
Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2009 10:59 AM ET
As the Kansas City Chiefs continue to try to remake their roster, they've slipped into a DeLorean and set the dial to 2003.

The Chiefs have signed defensive lineman Kenny Smith. Yes, that Kenny Smith. The one who hasn't played in an NFL game since 2003, when he started nine games for the Saints.

Though the release from the team says that he played with the Saints through 2004, the NFL.com player page for Smith shows zero appearances in 2004 or 2005. For 2006, 2007, and 2008? Nothing.

He fills the roster spot that was created when Tank Tyler was traded to the Panthers on Monday.

Bronco Boy
10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Should be able to step in and start right away.

Beantown Bronco
10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Weird. I thought this was gonna be a thread about their QB.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey Bob.

Schadenfreude

Anus.

DrFate
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
I honestly thought that club could duplicate Detroit's 0-16 season.

Apparently I underestimated the Redskins...

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I bet he gets a sack against the Chargers weak o-line this week.

skpac1001
10-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Bob is going to need to start an official Kenny vs Elvis thread now.

Peoples Champ
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
i heard they were going after Joe Montana?

Beantown Bronco
10-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Bob is going to need to start an official Kenny vs Elvis thread now.

If it's anything like Kenny vs. Spenny, I'll tune in.

orangeatheist
10-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I bet he gets a sack against the Chargers weak o-line this week.

You do realize that the Chargers are going to have a bounce-back, 59-0 victory over the Chiefs, right? I mean, YES, the Broncos ARE that good! :yayaya:

Rohirrim
10-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I thought it was going to be Tommy Maddox. ;D

DomCasual
10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
So, does this reset the clock for him to get into the HofF? Does anyone know?

Orange_Beard
10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
What an embarrassment. They are so horrible I sometimes feel sorry for Bob.

Per Florio:

Chiefs dust off Kenny Smith
Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2009 10:59 AM ET
As the Kansas City Chiefs continue to try to remake their roster, they've slipped into a DeLorean and set the dial to 2003.

The Chiefs have signed defensive lineman Kenny Smith. Yes, that Kenny Smith. The one who hasn't played in an NFL game since 2003, when he started nine games for the Saints.

Though the release from the team says that he played with the Saints through 2004, the NFL.com player page for Smith shows zero appearances in 2004 or 2005. For 2006, 2007, and 2008? Nothing.

He fills the roster spot that was created when Tank Tyler was traded to the Panthers on Monday.

I thought Tank Tyler was the second coming?

OBF1
10-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Light rail rumor, The chiefs just signed Fred Lane ???

Taco John
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Remember that time the Raiders hired a slate of coaches that were retired, fishing the year before, and running bed and breakfastes? rofl

barryr
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
The Chiefs haven't been making much sense with anything they have done lately. This is just another. Trading Tyler and making room for this guy? It's like they are going out of their way to be bad.

BroncoDoug
10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Remember that time the Raiders hired a slate of coaches that were retired, fishing the year before, and running bed and breakfastes? rofl

yup, and the redskins just hired a guy that was calling bingo 4 weeks ago, and now is calling their plays...

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

Well now the Redskins have a bingo caller calling plays for them.

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
yup, and the redskins just hired a guy that was calling bingo 4 weeks ago, and now is calling their plays...

Beat me to it.

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Reminds me of that time I tried to play little league when I was 37.

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I still say I had a yr of eligibility left.

crowebomber
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Reminds me of that time I tried to play little league when I was 37.

Telling the highschool girls that 37 is the new 17 probably isn't a good idea either. :wiggle:

chex
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
They hired Pioli for this?

UberBroncoMan
10-21-2009, 02:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Smith_%28American_football%29

Probably has something to do with the fact he's been a part of the Patriots the last 3 years.

This article is highly misleading.

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2009, 03:32 PM
When I first saw the thread title I thought Whitlock finally talked them into signing Jeff George.

KCStud
10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
This regime is showing just how bad Herm Edwards is at drafting. KC was already a mess with DV's poor drafting, but Herm wasn't much better, though he is good at finding DB's.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
This regime is showing just how bad Herm Edwards is at drafting. KC was already a mess with DV's poor drafting, but Herm wasn't much better, though he is good at finding DB's.

Wait a minute. I lay it more on Carl than anyone but that aside, the previous regime was drafting players for a completely different scheme.

I still am utterly confused why KC went to a 3-4 this year. Their rebuild was based on a 4-3, tampa 2 style. And now they're just throwing it all away.

Of course a lot of the players up front aren't going to fit. Why is Dorsey struggling as well? How is Hali doing?

The reason people are high on the DBs is because they don't matter whether you're in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Their role is the same.

Blame Carl for getting rid of some guy named Jared Allen. And blame the new regime for going to a 3-4.

Bronx33
10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Kenny Smith the final peice to turn things around in KC ::)

Black96WS6
10-21-2009, 04:38 PM
So, does this reset the clock for him to get into the HofF? Does anyone know?

LOL! That's awesome. ROFL!

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Smith_%28American_football%29

Probably has something to do with the fact he's been a part of the Patriots the last 3 years.

This article is highly misleading.

On IR. I would say the article saying he hasn't really played since he was a Saint is accurate.

KCStud
10-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Wait a minute. I lay it more on Carl than anyone but that aside, the previous regime was drafting players for a completely different scheme.

I still am utterly confused why KC went to a 3-4 this year. Their rebuild was based on a 4-3, tampa 2 style. And now they're just throwing it all away.

Of course a lot of the players up front aren't going to fit. Why is Dorsey struggling as well? How is Hali doing?

The reason people are high on the DBs is because they don't matter whether you're in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Their role is the same.

Blame Carl for getting rid of some guy named Jared Allen. And blame the new regime for going to a 3-4.

Because the 3-4 is much harder for offenses to prepare for and NE ran a 3-4. All the NE castoffs ran 3-4's, so why not Pioli?

You also might wanna watch Dorsey this weekend. Dorsey has been a pleasant surprise this season. He is looking very good for a 2nd year DL in a new scheme. He is being double teamed and he is still doing his job very well.
You also might want to watch Hali as well. Hali has 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, a safety and multiple QB pressures. He is also looking much better considering he is only premier pass rusher KC has on defense.

OABB
10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't know what the big deal is, none of the Chiefs have played football for the past three years either.

gtown
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Jesus. KC's season is over. Why would you trade a franchise dlineman like Tank Tyler? The franchise is never gonna get over this.

DenverBrit
10-21-2009, 06:29 PM
i don't know what the big deal is, none of the chiefs have played football for the past three years either.
Ha!

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Because the 3-4 is much harder for offenses to prepare for and NE ran a 3-4. All the NE castoffs ran 3-4's, so why not Pioli?

You also might wanna watch Dorsey this weekend. Dorsey has been a pleasant surprise this season. He is looking very good for a 2nd year DL in a new scheme. He is being double teamed and he is still doing his job very well.
You also might want to watch Hali as well. Hali has 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, a safety and multiple QB pressures. He is also looking much better considering he is only premier pass rusher KC has on defense.

So wait, now you're saying Carl (and Herm's) drafts weren't that bad?

Your earlier post says the complete opposite.

Which is it?

Merlin
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
This regime is showing just how bad Herm Edwards is at drafting.
I seem to remember you stating that he was amazing at evaluating talent, at the very least defensive talent, and that the boatload of recruits from last yr (or was it the yr before?) were going to transform the team.

Pony Boy
10-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Well.... I can't believe it took this long.........
This One's for Kenny.........

KCStud
10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
So wait, now you're saying Carl (and Herm's) drafts weren't that bad?

Your earlier post says the complete opposite.

Which is it?

They were bad. It's not hard to screw up a top 5 draft pick when everybody and their grandma knew that the consensus best player is sitting there at 5.

And yes Hali was one of Herm's few good picks.

How about Turk? Tank? Cottam? Pollard? Charles?

How many of these players have been to a pro bowl or even in the discussion of the pro bowl?

KCStud
10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
I seem to remember you stating that he was amazing at evaluating talent, at the very least defensive talent, and that the boatload of recruits from last yr (or was it the yr before?) were going to transform the team.

This is true. Dorsey (hard to screw that top 5 pick up when it falls into your lap) is looking great along with Flowers and Carr. Like I said, Herm knows DB's.

OABB
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
They were bad. It's not hard to screw up a top 5 draft pick when everybody and their grandma knew that the consensus best player is sitting there at 5.

And yes Hali was one of Herm's few good picks.

How about Turk? Tank? Cottam? Pollard? Charles?

How many of these players have been to a pro bowl or even in the discussion of the pro bowl?

you have to be on an nfl team to be considered for the probowl my friend. I thought you knew this.

KCStud
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
you have to be on an nfl team to be considered for the probowl my friend. I thought you knew this.

The only one that is not is Turk to my knowledge

Bob's your Information Minister
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
This is just a depth signing. And it's a 2-page thread on the Mane.

I love this place.

Br0nc0Buster
10-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Whats odd is the Chiefs had all offseason for Pioli(who is being regarded as a drafting god in Kansas) to fix their problems, yet they are still trading away guys midway through the season

The O coordinator was fired like a week before the season started
The offensive line wasnt really addressed until after the season started then they traded draft picks for Miamis third string
Fire their receivers coach
Trade away their NT
Sign a guy who hasnt played in like 7 years

From the outside it looks an awful lot like the braintrust in KC had no idea what kind of roster Kansas City had

Bob's your Information Minister
10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
We traded away our backup nose tackle, who wasn't really a nose tackle to begin with. We gave him a shot but it didn't work out in the end. That's what happens when you're one of the least talented teams in the NFL.

I don't really care about any of this **** to be honest with you. It was pretty clear this year was over before it began. The entire year is an extended preseason.

KCStud
10-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Whats odd is the Chiefs had all offseason for Pioli(who is being regarded as a drafting god in Kansas) to fix their problems, yet they are still trading away guys midway through the season

The O coordinator was fired like a week before the season started
The offensive line wasnt really addressed until after the season started then they traded draft picks for Miamis third string
Fire their receivers coach
Trade away their NT
Sign a guy who hasnt played in like 7 years

From the outside it looks an awful lot like the braintrust in KC had no idea what kind of roster Kansas City had

The Chiefs were a 2-14 team with holes everywhere and little talent last year. The Broncos were a talented 8-8 team who honestly should have been 10-6 and in the playoffs last year.

It's incredibly rare to fix a 2-14 team in one offseason, especially with a rookie head coach.

azbroncfan
10-22-2009, 03:43 AM

I love how they traded Jared Allen because they didn't want to pay him. Then turn around and draft Dorsey and Jackson and give them more money than Allen got without even playing a down at a high risk/bust position.

Peoples Champ
10-22-2009, 07:19 AM
The Chiefs will be good in 5-10 years

Peoples Champ
10-22-2009, 07:20 AM
This is just a depth signing. And it's a 2-page thread on the Mane.

I love this place.

Havent you learned, we post anything that makes fun of the chiefs, then everyone gets their crack in on them. It can be from 1-5 pages, depending on how comical the chiefs move is.

LittleFloyd
10-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm thinking that in a couple of years the same could possibly be written about Jarvis Moss.