PDA

View Full Version : Is Doom going to break Strahans record?

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 03:14 AM
He's got 10 through 6 games. He needs 23 to break the record.

So he needs 13 sacks in 10 games. It won't be easy but I think he is going to do it.

UberBroncoMan
10-21-2009, 03:30 AM
He's got 10 through 6 games. He needs 23 to break the record.

So he needs 13 sacks in 10 games. It won't be easy but I think he is going to do it.

aaaaaaaand after that we'll watch him get signed by the Redskins or Chiefs.

(I understand we can only sign as many players as we lose to other teams if we make the playoffs in an uncapped year).

OBF1
10-21-2009, 04:07 AM
I think teams will start putting a TE on his side to help out the tackle, So NO, I do not think he will break the record.

Drek
10-21-2009, 04:49 AM
aaaaaaaand after that we'll watch him get signed by the Redskins or Chiefs.

(I understand we can only sign as many players as we lose to other teams if we make the playoffs in an uncapped year).

No, there is no limit on how many you can resign from your own roster. You can only sign a dollar amount of FAs equal to what you lost though if you made the playoffs before the uncapped year.

So if we lost a player getting paid $5M a year and no one else our FA acquisitions would need to have a cap number around $5M.

It has no relevance on keeping our own talent though. In fact if we go into an uncapped year all players with less than six years experience are RFAs, not unrestricted FAs. We can hit them with comparatively low dollar value tags that assign a level of compensation to them teams must surrender if they sign them. If I recall last year it took all of $1.38M to tender a RFA at a 1st and 3rd.

Dumervil, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, and even Orton fall into the "under six years experience" category and will all be able to be retained for pennies on the dollar if no new CBA is in place. It will likely put us in the driver's seat in terms of resigning them as well.

My guess is they all get tendered around that level of value and we start resigning them to front loaded deals before FA even hits, getting rid of the biggest cap hits during an uncapped year. No need to distribute bonus money throughout the life of a deal when we can just eat it all year one, its all the same to Bowlen's pocket.

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 05:30 AM
No, there is no limit on how many you can resign from your own roster. You can only sign a dollar amount of FAs equal to what you lost though if you made the playoffs before the uncapped year.

So if we lost a player getting paid $5M a year and no one else our FA acquisitions would need to have a cap number around $5M.

It has no relevance on keeping our own talent though. In fact if we go into an uncapped year all players with less than six years experience are RFAs, not unrestricted FAs. We can hit them with comparatively low dollar value tags that assign a level of compensation to them teams must surrender if they sign them. If I recall last year it took all of $1.38M to tender a RFA at a 1st and 3rd.

Dumervil, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, and even Orton fall into the "under six years experience" category and will all be able to be retained for pennies on the dollar if no new CBA is in place. It will likely put us in the driver's seat in terms of resigning them as well.

My guess is they all get tendered around that level of value and we start resigning them to front loaded deals before FA even hits, getting rid of the biggest cap hits during an uncapped year. No need to distribute bonus money throughout the life of a deal when we can just eat it all year one, its all the same to Bowlen's pocket.

This.

We have all the leverage we need. In addition to the above we also can use a Franchise and 2 transition tags in an uncapped yr.

Between all the RFA, and our 3 tags, Broncos can keep every player they want.

IMO Doom/Marshall/Orton at this point are locks.

Kuper I would say pretty much a lock also.

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Ayers might start getting some sacks if the olines start trying to double Doom.

Also the more rbs and TE's we can make a team leave back to block the more you will see us only send 4 and play coverage.

We saw that against NE.

Drek
10-21-2009, 07:35 AM
This.

We have all the leverage we need. In addition to the above we also can use a Franchise and 2 transition tags in an uncapped yr.

Between all the RFA, and our 3 tags, Broncos can keep every player they want.

IMO Doom/Marshall/Orton at this point are locks.

Kuper I would say pretty much a lock also.

Lets not kid ourselves, Kuper is a good RG but he isn't a perennial pro-bowl LG like Steve Hutchinson. He'll get good money but he won't break the bank, he shouldn't be a hard resign.

MplsBronco
10-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I think teams will start putting a TE on his side to help out the tackle, So NO, I do not think he will break the record.

Problem is, he rushes from all over the field. He's not limited to just one side.

peacepipe
10-21-2009, 08:14 AM
doom is going to command big money,he's not going to resign for cheap. he'll get franchised or whatever,probably sign a 1 yr tender paying him 15-17 million next yr 2010. assuming they can't work out a contract.

Peoples Champ
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I wish all 13 sacks came against Peyton Manning.

Rabb
10-21-2009, 08:32 AM

you would think they would have figured that out already

Smiling Assassin27
10-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Depends on whether or not someone goes 'Brett Favre' and telegraphs the play, rolls right into Doom's arms, and then goes down like a shot dog.

Rock Chalk
10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Strahan at 10.5 sacks through 6 games.

He got 12.5 sacks in the remaining 10 games.

Drek
10-21-2009, 08:46 AM
doom is going to command big money,he's not going to resign for cheap. he'll get franchised or whatever,probably sign a 1 yr tender paying him 15-17 million next yr 2010. assuming they can't work out a contract.

If he continues at his current pace he'll win the DPOY award.

James Harrison won it last year and promptly signed a six year, $51.25M deal with about $20M in guarantees. He and Doom play the same position in the same general scheme.

You RFA tag him at the start of the off-season, put a carbon copy of Harrison's deal on the table with an extra couple million guaranteed (that you front load into the uncapped year) and boom, you got Elvis in the building for over the next half decade at $8.5M AAV.

Garcia Bronco
10-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Probably not. He might not get another one all year. Sacks are hard in today's NFL....damn hard

snowspot66
10-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Don't know if he will or not.

But we do have Oakland, KCx2, and Washington on the schedule still. There is a chance.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Depends on whether or not someone goes 'Brett Favre' and telegraphs the play, rolls right into Doom's arms, and then goes down like a shot dog.

This always annoyed me. Not so much that Favre did it to allow Strahan to get the record, but the fact that Strahan flaunts his sack record when he clearly was handed it.

TheReverend
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
A couple games of feasting at 3 or more and then I think he will. Otherwise, it's too streaky to predict too early.

underrated29
10-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Lets not kid ourselves, Kuper is a good RG but he isn't a perennial pro-bowl LG like Steve Hutchinson. He'll get good money but he won't break the bank, he shouldn't be a hard resign.

I somewhat disagree here. No he is not the steve hutch yet, but i think kupes is one of the top RG in the league, he just doesnt have the rep yet.

Remember when he was hurt, and we gave up like 6 sacks to the bengals or whoever...I was out of town so i could only read about it. But when kupes came back he anchored that position down hardcore like he always does.

No he wont break the bank, luckily for us, because he just doesnt have that rep yet. But in all fairness he has the skill and has played like it.

So essentailly i think we agree and are saying the same thing, i just think that kupes is underated and an Important cog for our OL.

underrated29
10-21-2009, 10:09 AM
well we do have pitts on the shcedule too.

Big ben holds the ball forever and the OL isnt to strong. So we could certainly see some sacks there. The other side is that ben is strong as shyt and can evade the pass rush and move around.

I think he gets a couple though on benny. i hope.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Four more games against AFC West teams who all have bad o-lines.

He has a great shot at breaking it.

bpc
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
The best thing working in Elvis's favor is that Nolan moves him all around the front 7. I saw him man both OLB spots last Monday, along with both DE spots, and he played MLB a few times during blitz' on 3rd down. They are putting him in successful situation to get him the record.

I don't know if he breaks it, but it will be damn fun watching him. Keep in mind, he's got a pretty soft schedule which will benefit him in the chase: KC twice (leading the league in sacks allowed), Oakland and SD again. Both teams has trouble blocking him. That AFC West schedule alone could provide 8 sacks.

Pittsburgh has a really poor pass blocking OL and Ben gets sacked on the regular. Washington is on a pair of backup OT's and Chris Cooley has had to stay in to block more to help. Philly throws the ball a ton and they have two new OT's starting for that team this year. Oakland just notched 6 sacks against them. Even Manning's Colts are having a hard time pass blocking. Tony Ugoh has been largely underwhelming since coming to the NFL. They've only given up 2 sacks but it's been from Manning throwing the ball so quickly, not great pass protection.

GO DOOM. Then when he finishes his pro bowl season, lets resign him. Actually, that extension should have been done last week.

Killericon
10-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Maybe if we played the Vikings in the last game of the season.

Drek
10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
I somewhat disagree here. No he is not the steve hutch yet, but i think kupes is one of the top RG in the league, he just doesnt have the rep yet.

Remember when he was hurt, and we gave up like 6 sacks to the bengals or whoever...I was out of town so i could only read about it. But when kupes came back he anchored that position down hardcore like he always does.

No he wont break the bank, luckily for us, because he just doesnt have that rep yet. But in all fairness he has the skill and has played like it.

So essentailly i think we agree and are saying the same thing, i just think that kupes is underated and an Important cog for our OL.
I agree that he is an underrated, very valuable piece of this team. Hell, after week one I started a thread on here about how he was the missing cog in our offense at that point.

But he's an RG, which like RTs tend to make less than their left side counterparts, and he hasn't made it to a pro-bowl or garnered any real recognition at all for his work. He deserves a good contract but teams aren't going to be throwing $7-$8M AAV contracts at him. A nice $4M AAV and some reasonable bonus money is in line with what he's likely to get if you ask me.

RhymesayersDU
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Exactly what I was going to say. That was a farce.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-21-2009, 10:58 AM
He might need to do it in 15 games. He's not going to get a ton of time in Week 16 vs KC if there is nothing to play for (seedings set).

azbroncfan
10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I bet he ends up with 15-17 sacks. WHat is our team record? I can't remember the number but I think Fletcher has it. Teams will adjust to him. Strahan was the type that had power and speed moves and could beat doubles. I think teams will do what Pats did with him. I could see Reid or another LB adding up a few sacks and getting close to 10 on the other side. All I know is I have wanted the 3-4 for several years now and glad it is here.

MVP-06
10-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Doom seems to get them in bunches. He won't have one for a couple of games and then boom he gets 3. They will probably have to start to keep RB's in or Te's in to help. OC's are going to have to start to game plan around knowing where #92 is at.

TheReverend
10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Doom for the record and DPOY... maybe even league MVP

Bronco Boy
10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I bet he ends up with 15-17 sacks. WHat is our team record? I can't remember the number but I think Fletcher has it. Teams will adjust to him. Strahan was the type that had power and speed moves and could beat doubles. I think teams will do what Pats did with him. I could see Reid or another LB adding up a few sacks and getting close to 10 on the other side. All I know is I have wanted the 3-4 for several years now and glad it is here.

16 in 1992.

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Initially I was going to suggest that they'll start really double-teaming him on every play and that will open things up for other players but bring his numbers down. However when I looked at the teams we get to play, I changed my mind. Take a look at this schedule.

Here's the remaining teams and how many sacks they've allowed to this point and where that ranks

@ Baltimore: 10 3-way tie for 6th fewest

VS. Pitt: 16 3-way tie for 5th MOST Big Ben holds the ball too long.

@ Washington: 17 tied for 4th most.

VS Chargers: 15 2-way tie for 6th most.

VS Giants: 5 second fewest in the league.

@ KC: 22 tied for second most. Wow that line sucks!

@ Indy: 2 Tied for first fewest. :(

Vs Oakland: 17 tied for 4th most.

@ Philly: 12 Middle of the pack

Vs. KC: 22 tied for second most.

We play six teams that are in the top five for sacks allowed this year. So you could argue that Dumervil has a good shot of getting into the high teens at least.

broncocalijohn
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Don't know if he will or not.

But we do have Oakland, KCx2, and Washington on the schedule still. There is a chance.

I dont see Minnesota and Brett Favre on the schedule so he might have to earn the clinching one unlike Strahan got. Doom will have games where the offense is double teaming him or plays against a qb that takes 3 steps and dumps it. He already had games where he doesnt get a sack. We still won and others got to the QB. Then there are times where you get to play a Norv Turner team and get plenty. Over the season, he can get his 14 sacks over 10 games. Hell, I see Chokeland at home. Jaba the Fat cant get out of anyone's way once he is in the pocket. That can be a 3 sack day right there.

TheReverend
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
@ Indy: 2 Tied for first fewest. :(

Because Peyton hasn't played us yet.

Paladin
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
But the refs will need to enforce the holding rules. Light held him all day by the pads; should have been one or two more sacks on Tommy Terrific.....