PDA

View Full Version : Lorenzo Neal Interview RE: Norv

hambone13
10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Very interesting take on Norv. Please, please, please keep him there!

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/common/global_audio/40/13478.mp3

maher_tyler
10-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Very interesting take on Norv. Please, please, please keep him there!

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/common/global_audio/40/13478.mp3

Can you give a quick summary...

hambone13
10-20-2009, 07:57 PM
He essentially heavily implied that Norv wasn't driving accountability throughout the locker room. The gist was that he's likely losing the locker-room because he doesn't have a "hard love" approach...he's all love...

OABB
10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
norv sucks as a head coach basically.

hambone13
10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
norv sucks as a head coach basically.

And there's a little bit of this too....

maher_tyler
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
If they let Marty stick around..i bet they would have won a SB by now!

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
My dad would sometimes be hard on me even though I did nothing really wrong. I would be set to have a fun weekend, and he would say something like you don't help you mom enough, all you do is the minimum. You do your chores as fast as you can then want to run and play. Life isn't all play and a real man finds more work to do, he just doesn't do the minimum to get by.

I think sometimes coaches also need to kick players i the ass. You can't just be the buddy every weekend. A real leader forgoes always being the nice guy to dish out some tough love.

hambone13
10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
My dad would sometimes be hard on me even though I did nothing really wrong. I would be set to have a fun weekend, and he would say something like you don't help you mom enough, all you do is the minimum. You do your chores as fast as you can then want to run and play. Life isn't all play and a real man finds more work to do, he just doesn't do the minimum to get by.

I think sometimes coaches also need to kick players i the ass. You can't just be the buddy every weekend. A real leader forgoes always being the nice guy to dish out some tough love.

Absolutely....it's fundamental to true competitive execution in life.

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Absolutely....it's fundamental to true competitive execution in life.

I still turned out a slacker though, what gives. Not my dads fault though!!!!! LOL!!!

ZONA
10-20-2009, 10:08 PM

I've been saying that for 2 years now. They were ignorant forcing Marty out. I would have gotten rid of the GM before letting Marty go if I was the owner. What a dumb ass owner. And then the give up Drew because they feel he is too short. Look at him now. Fools over there I swear it.

400HZ
10-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Norv was a gamble that almost worked. San Diego probably would have won it all during their AFCCG run in 2007 if Rivers, Gates, LT, and Merriman hadn't all gotten hurt. That's just ridiculously bad luck that you can't pin on Norv or AJ or anybody.

Now that the Chargers find themselves needing to reload and make some serious roster turnover, I think Norv's usefulness is at an end. Young players need to learn fundamentals, accountability, and discipline. Norv does not emphasize any of these things. Marty built a pretty goddamn good team based almost solely on those principles, but beyond that he didn't offer much - hence his lack of postseason success.

barryr
10-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Not having Tomlinson in there near the goal line Monday night just really made no sense no matter how Turner tried to spin it.

alkemical
10-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Norv was a gamble that almost worked. San Diego probably would have won it all during their AFCCG run in 2007 if Rivers, Gates, LT, and Merriman hadn't all gotten hurt. That's just ridiculously bad luck that you can't pin on Norv or AJ or anybody.

Now that the Chargers find themselves needing to reload and make some serious roster turnover, I think Norv's usefulness is at an end. Young players need to learn fundamentals, accountability, and discipline. Norv does not emphasize any of these things. Marty built a pretty goddamn good team based almost solely on those principles, but beyond that he didn't offer much - hence his lack of postseason success.

karma can be a bitch.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
karma can be a b****.

Karma? That makes no sense. They don't go out and deliberately injure other players.

It's just bad luck. Teams that go make it to the playoffs and beyond are not always necessarily the best but the healthiest. The Chargers have dealt with some bad injures over the past few years in stretches but 2007 came all at once for the most important game of the year.

For all you still slurping over Marty, he wouldn't have won anything in 2007 either with those injuries. I even doubt he would have gotten to that game.

Look at what injuries to the o-line and QB did to the Seahawks last year and it's happening to them again this year. I think the Seahawks are a very good team when healthy.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM

This is the truth. Preach on 400.

Beantown Bronco
10-21-2009, 09:27 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-bXHPqj3NcI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-bXHPqj3NcI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alkemical
10-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Karma? That makes no sense. They don't go out and deliberately injure other players.

It's just bad luck. Teams that go make it to the playoffs and beyond are not always necessarily the best but the healthiest. The Chargers have dealt with some bad injures over the past few years in stretches but 2007 came all at once for the most important game of the year.

For all you still slurping over Marty, he wouldn't have won anything in 2007 either with those injuries. I even doubt he would have gotten to that game.

Look at what injuries to the o-line and QB did to the Seahawks last year and it's happening to them again this year. I think the Seahawks are a very good team when healthy.

Merriman, Roids

Rivers, Douchey

LT, Pandis

Karma = the sum of the equations you act out in life.

Orange_Beard
10-21-2009, 11:05 AM
LT is over.

If anything they should be bitching about not throwing the ball to Gates on third down.
85 is there best player.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2610928&postcount=11

Williams
10-21-2009, 11:14 AM

The Chargers would have been and probably would still be scary good with Brees, Michael Turner, and Marty coaching.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
The Chargers would have been and probably would still be scary good with Brees, Michael Turner, and Marty coaching.

I love uninformed comments like this.

Marty was great in his role a head coach overseeing the team but he was not involved in calling plays at all.

Can anyone tell me who the OC and DC would have been here if they kept Marty? I bet no one can.

Tombstone RJ
10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
I love uninformed comments like this.

Marty was great in his role a head coach overseeing the team but he was not involved in calling plays at all.

Can anyone tell me who the OC and DC would have been here if they kept Marty? I bet no one can.

I can, his kids.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I can, his kids.

Not quite, but you're getting warm.

Tombstone RJ
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Not quite, but you're getting warm.

I thought one of his sons was going to be the OC, or maybe the DC and Smith was like "no."

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM

Marty ran a tough camp and when you practice in pads and put a focus on conditioning you are injured less often. Look how often you guys have been banged up since you went to a soft coach. Trust us, we know.

tsiguy96
10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
not signing turner was the biggest mistake the chargers made in awhile. theres a point where loyalty is not for the good of the team, they shoulda let LT walk.

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I thought one of his sons was going to be the OC, or maybe the DC and Smith was like "no."

His brother, Kurt was going to be DC. Which was a joke. It's not a big secret that Marty pulled that stunt because once Wade got hired by Dallas he saw the writing on the wall. He knew Kurt wouldn't fly with AJ and Spanos and he would get his exit and his nice paycheck.

Clarence Shelmon who is the current "OC" (in title only) would still be the OC.

I do blame AJ Smith for not being able to work things out with Marty but the blame goes both ways in this case.

Kurt is horrible. And Shelmon is an unknown but I really haven't heard anything positive about him in regards to his current role. He was a good RB coach though.

Marty's success here had a lot to do with Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips as his coordinators. Cottrell was horrible and while Rivera was impressive with the turn around he made last year, this year he's got explaining to do. And even the biggest Norv haters, give him his due as a great play caller (though some of his calls this season are truly head scratchers.) But there is no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't have had more success than the current staff with Kurt and Shelmon coordinating that team. Had it actually happened, Marty just would have extended his stay one more year before getting fired.

This is why I hate people who make statements like a couple of the posters did above because they think they know what they're talking about but they don't. They just regurgitate what they hear on ESPN or some local clown on talk radio who doesn't really follow the Chargers.

Abqbronco
10-21-2009, 04:24 PM

That was bad luck but I don't think you will find much sympathy about a string of bad injury luck around here.

Atwater His Ass
10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Marty ran a tough camp and when you practice in pads and put a focus on conditioning you are injured less often. Look how often you guys have been banged up since you went to a soft coach. Trust us, we know.

You keep saying this, but it's absolutely ridiculous.

If this was really the key to preventing injuries, every team in the league would be practicing in pads all the time.

I'm so tired of seeing people say this stupid ****.

Atwater His Ass
10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
This is why I hate people who make statements like a couple of the posters did above because they think they know what they're talking about but they don't. They just regurgitate what they hear on ESPN or some local clown on talk radio who doesn't really follow the Chargers.

Welcome to what most people here consider "informed discussion" on the mane.

maher_tyler
10-21-2009, 04:36 PM
not signing turner was the biggest mistake the chargers made in awhile. theres a point where loyalty is not for the good of the team, they shoulda let LT walk.

Yep! They should have kept Turner and let LT walk. This is why the Pats are so good every year...they know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em!

maher_tyler
10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
His brother, Kurt was going to be DC. Which was a joke. It's not a big secret that Marty pulled that stunt because once Wade got hired by Dallas he saw the writing on the wall. He knew Kurt wouldn't fly with AJ and Spanos and he would get his exit and his nice paycheck.

Clarence Shelmon who is the current "OC" (in title only) would still be the OC.

I do blame AJ Smith for not being able to work things out with Marty but the blame goes both ways in this case.

Kurt is horrible. And Shelmon is an unknown but I really haven't heard anything positive about him in regards to his current role. He was a good RB coach though.

Marty's success here had a lot to do with Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips as his coordinators. Cottrell was horrible and while Rivera was impressive with the turn around he made last year, this year he's got explaining to do. And even the biggest Norv haters, give him his due as a great play caller (though some of his calls this season are truly head scratchers.) But there is no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't have had more success than the current staff with Kurt and Shelmon coordinating that team. Had it actually happened, Marty just would have extended his stay one more year before getting fired.

I don't care what ESPN says...it's my opinion that if Marty stuck around, they would have at least made it to a SB! Norv is know where near the coach Marty is...if there was an poll of which coach people would rather have, i bet Marty wins by a land slide. Your team has gotten progressively worse every year since Marty left and Norv has been there..which is fine by me!!

boltaneer
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
That was bad luck but I don't think you will find much sympathy about a string of bad injury luck around here.

The point is not about sympathy. This is the NFL. Injuries happen and you have to deal with it but the reality is that you can only deal with it up until a certain point.

To say Norv blew it for not winning the Super Bowl that year is not looking at all the facts. He did an outstanding job that year. It just wasn't going to happen hobbling into a game versus a 16-0 New England team and yet he almost pulled it off.

You can fault him for last year and this year and you won't get much disagreement from Charger fans though.